Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Rigel posted:

Fun fact: today is world turtle day.

(insert obvious McConnell joke here)

Does anyone have the animated gif of Mitch McSeaturtle making his way to the ocean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

You caught me at a very strange time in my life. Spawning season.

What a majestic creature.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Im sorry they will not matter.
Because of money

If anyone unconnected refused a subpoena you just know they would land in jail two minutes afterwards.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

7 advertisers have dropped Hannity so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fQESUBMwGg

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

So loving glad I got out of that shitholler.

For shits and giggles look at Bagdad [sic] Kentucky. First you think, wow, they named it after the city in Iraq? Right? They have London, Versailles, and Paris as cities in the state after all. Nope, it's far more dumb...

Fun fact: our town was named by three different whiskey-addicted dimwits with disabling speech impediments.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Don't think this will surprise anyone, but it's Jared.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a4a8_story.html

Investigators are focusing on a series of meetings held by Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and an influential White House adviser, as part of their probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election and related matters, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Kushner, who held meetings in December with the Russian ambassador and a banker from Moscow , is being investigated because of the extent and nature of his interactions with the Russians, the people said.

I don't want to get too tinfoil but it is the whole RNC. Kislyak was the éminence grise at Cleveland, there's dirty money all over the PACs, people are quiting and recusing left and right. Not Rubio or Paul or even Gowdy but more than just Trump campaign people

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Why is Kentucky so drat poor if it has so much local industry and tourism?

I mean there's nowhere else in the US that has some of the most famous liquor, the worlds most famous horse race, the worlds biggest cave, and the appalachian mountains.

Isn't dollywood there too?

Usually it is low taxes hampering infrastructure but I don't think KY has unusually low taxes. Maybe it is low population density or an aftereffect of the coal bust? You pointed out that it actually has somewhat of a diverse economy so?????????????????????

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

axeil posted:

The people gnashing their teeth and screaming THIS IS HOW DEMOCRACY DIES when the Dems lose a race in an R+20 district by 6 points instead of 20, when there are 120 seats less Republican than that one and confirms a nation-wide shift of about 15 points towards the Dems need to pull themselves together and get some perspective.

They're like Clevleand Browns fans who are FURIOUS they failed to win the Super Bowl last year despite never really having a shot from the start.

More people should become football/sports fans, it's a great way to learn expectation management.

And I say that as someone who famously melts down after every Eagles loss.

It's a pretty big problem when the republican opponent is an unpopular carpetbagger, with lots of oligarchical comments and positions, and has no gun control wedge issue to help him. That means that the election was lost on messaging, real ideological differences, and/or tribalism. If the dems can't change enough hearts and minds in a purple state with a populist message like Quist then they are just a rump party. The close race narrative works in Kansas but Montana is more of a swing state.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

axeil posted:

The last Democrat to win a Montana Presidential Election was Bill Clinton.

If Montana is a purple state then Mississippi and Alabama are blue.

By what metric? Dems always get a larger percentage in MT than AL in presidential elections. Obama almost won the state in 2008 which is notable considering the racial makeup of the states we're talking about. MT has a democratic Governor and Senator which AL does not.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Huma's the dumbest person in the world if that story is true, but this guy might be a close second.

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/869608909849464833

Having a foreign country act as a PAC is a blatant violation of election laws and that is without getting into the Logan Act. His campaign already got in trouble for soliciting donations from foreigners.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Majorian posted:

Trump permanently hobbled and Sessions out of office is the best-case scenario imo. It looks like that may well happen!

It'll be harder to get Sessions because the FBI said it was okay to leave off meetings with dignitaries in his capacity as Senator when he filled out his security clearance. Obviously they were campaign meetings but that probably gives him enough wiggle room on any charges.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/statuses/870092791325626368

gently caress this planet, I'm done with this shithole

This stuff usually turns out to be a hoax.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

In a week where multiple people have been stabbed to death by Nazis, how about you go ahead and take this the gently caress seriously, goddamn.

Nazis don't leave clever messages dripping with historical connotations, as you pointed out they just kill you.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Phyein posted:

Okay. What do you think Jeff Sessions would order Arbys before replacing that guy in temple of doom getting crushed by the rock crusher on live TV in my fantasy?

"I will not eat a big beef n' cheddar and kneel before Juggernaut" -Jefferson Beauregard Sessions

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Why the gently caress would an average UK person vote conservative? All they get is austerity, terrorism, and a dismantled internet. Corbyn wasn't exactly the most pro-EU guy either. What is the upside?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Rigel posted:

I agree with this thread. I've started calling out gender-based insults the last year or two, I don't like them. "rear end in a top hat" or "idiot" are fine alternatives if you want to insult someone.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/873207949564497920

JK Rowling is an "rear end in a top hat" or "idiot" for talking about electability and then voting for the Lib Dems.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

RasperFat posted:

I think he's still going at 70+ posts. It's definitely quite a rant. If it's anything more than insane conspiracy theorizing then a large chunk of GOP leadership is turbofucked.

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/873656445966929920

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

But you said those numbers were manipulated when Obama was president.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

That's a pretty common theme with conservative politicians: acting like there is no record of their positions and talking to people like they are credulous 5 year olds. Probably because they know crying hypocrite doesn't actually do anything.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Remember when B-rock didn't personally rescued that POW and regressives were like gently caress you Obama. Then we got the POW back, and they were like gently caress you Obama.

"Never leave a man behind YOU MUSLIM TERRORIST"

"Why did you spend our money to get this coward back YOU COMMUNIST TRAITOR"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Does this remind anyone else of a demented relative who inappropriately curses out the family pet or a small child.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

Theres a certain irony in Republicans getting attacked by a man with what seems likely to be some type of assault rifle

Unfortunately there is nothing to be done, mass shooting incidents are like acts of nature.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

Well more of that same variety of irrationality is coming to us soon, but this time it won't be militias targeting the Feds, it'll be militias targeting minorities.

You have an amazing ability to predict things that have already happened.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

D&D: Non-violent resistance sucks and is useless! You must use violence to get your point across!

*some dude uses violence to get his point across*

D&D: god dammit what the gently caress

Here is a hint: "D&D" is more than one person.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

B B posted:

So, uh, Ben Sasse is a pretty loving weird dude, turns out:

Conservatism and new-ageism a.k.a. The Third Reich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sasse also said he started charging his kids for rent and dinner when they were 8 and paid them the exact amount he charged them in allowance for doing their chores and washing his car.

This prepared them to be men and not adult children.

His kids are going to grow up to be Mormon Patrick Batemen.

Treating kids like adults is demonstrably worse than adults in a delayed adolescence.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 15, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

nachos posted:

Megyn Kelly could have "rehabilitated" herself by picking almost anyone other than Alex Jones. What in the world was she thinking?

That infowars has a huge audience.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Xae posted:

I would be ok talking about other elections if people could keep a shred of consistency about them.

Center Left loses close election by a small margin.
Prognosis: Center Left Ideology is completely dead

Left loses a close election by a small margin.
Prognosis: Massive victory for global leftism

Center-Left wins blow out Presidential and Parliament elections
*crickets*

The UK parliamentary system is different from France or the US. They can call for a vote more often so the matter isn't decided, it's playing out over six months.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

Why has this thread already descended into eating itself over Ossoff's inevitable and predictable loss when as of a few minutes ago Nate Silver is saying "I’m totally up in the air on this one right now and have no idea who will win"?

Because thats the tone he takes as the commentary gets closer to the actual vote.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Boon posted:

Every single goddamn discussion about healthcare in this thread always focuses solely on who pays for healthcare and conveniently ignores cost drivers - assuming that a public option magics away any need to contain said costs.

Let the government set a list of reimbursements for procedures and pharmaceuticals alakazam

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Potential BFF posted:

A war with Iran would be such a profound clusterfuck that a sick little piece of my mind is intrigued at the prospect. The first antiship missile slamming into an oil tanker and the subsequent $10/gal gas would be a hell of a thing to behold.

Just to be clear: HOLY gently caress DON'T GO TO WAR WITH IRAN

Even if they defeated the Iranian military and the Revolutionary Guard, the Mahdi Army would just cross the border and then we get to fight the middle part of Operation Iraqi Freedom again.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

It'd be the middle part of OIF again but with a country that has 3x the population and they're not divided at all

And more mountainous terrain but I meant we'd literally be facing the same people again.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time Zuckerberg is mentioned here there's a huge amount of vitriol against him, like he personally killed every single dog that gets posted in this thread or whatever.

Like, why do you guys hate him so much?

For the record, I think that him running for president would be disastrous on the count of him having no political experience. If he were to run for some other lower office, I could support that, assuming he makes it clear what his political views are and I agree with them. I don't think he's really made his political views known though, so I can't judge him on that. So I just don't understand how people here are so adamant that he'd be the second coming of Trump. I wouldn't support him today, but I could possibly see myself supporting him if the conditions were right, that's all I'm saying. I'm genuinely curious for an explanation other than "lol he's a nerd" and "gently caress Facebook."

He greenlit unethical experiments on his userbase, he is in bed with the NSA, his company uses the Irish sandwich to evade taxes, Facebook censors critics of despotic regimes, he is ground zero for the open borders low wages movement, he bought all of the properties surrounding his house so the great unwashed wouldn't be able to sneak a peek and tried to revoke native Hawaiians property rights.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

But, but, how the gently caress does he gently caress that maxim up.

He thought they were talking about the other kind of coke

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

n4 posted:

That Cernovich tweet is crazy. :(

He's slandered multiple people as pedophiles. I don't understand how he hasn't been sued into penury. Just another teflon retard of the Trump era.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

farraday posted:

I feel like this is a much bigger problem for Manafort and Kushner which is why this line is in there.

"I asked Jared and Paul to attend, but told them nothing of the substance."

Kushner lied on his security clearance forms it doesn't matter if he initially didn't know what the meeting was for.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

the memo was produced by fusion gps. fusion gps is an american consulting firm that was hired by republican and democratic donors whose products were later circulated around political and media circles.

fusion gps is not a foreign government. as far as we know, the dossier was not compiled under the direct orders of the clinton campaign.

And they didn't have to violate the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to get the information.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

This rear end in a top hat lied twice in the same speech for the administration. He has no credibility.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

Well there goes legal weed

States rights party!!

Cannabis is already sched 1.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah who was that on chris matthews yesterday, some representative who was also a doctor?

Matthews straight up asked "is being healthy a right" and the guy responded "they don't have a right to my expertise and experience" which you'd think be hard to reconcile with the hippocratic oath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

You have to buy drugs to sell them first!

Also they really don't need any reason at all:

Literally driving the speed limit is enough proof for them to take your car or money and force you to go to court to get it back.

I think in 2015 the amount of money from asset forfeitures was greater than the amount from larcenies. And from this article it looks like it was mostly taken from black and latino people too.

• Locked thread