Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RiggenBlaque posted:

That was a scary 15 minutes, I almost had to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fox is also suffering from the loss of O'Reilly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The problem is Fox is actually refusing to cover Trump regardless of ratings, which means that their supposed/anticipated shift to the middle is not happening; the ideologues still have control.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baghdad Ryan

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Which is, of course, all why the only sane way to proceed is with a single-payer system. The contradictions inherent in a private healthcare system make it by definition unable to fulfill the functions of healthcare.

At least with all the back and forth going on, "Just move to single payer" has moved from ":rolleyes:" to at minimum "Anything's better than someone trying a new tack at threatening my health care every three months."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

While I am watching that holy poo poo Gianforte thing closely, it looks like the bureaucRATS are leaving the sinking ship in Education:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/24/james-runcie-education-department-resigns-238762

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You guys don't understand. He challenged him to a table match, and rules are rules.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Fox News' plan to get back to the 1# ratings spot is to gently caress over a Republican House Rep into jail.

Well the motherfuckers are uncoverable in right wing media, you have to do something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Crabtree posted:

They got the loving footage and already said Giant poo poo attacked the Journo. What if this gets them rating and they start eating the rest of the Republicans while ignoring Trump?

If they have footage that's ball game

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skylined! posted:

it's ok

he hopes against hope

we are all afraid of hope

after the great unmattering

I was thinking of Hillary's triumphant run at the Gowdy hearings the other day, which now seems like it happened 200 years ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

So say the polls. But the same polls also predicted a huge Hillary victory, so...

Actually the polls were generally very accurate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Deadulus posted:

This is weird as poo poo.

Where are their normal readers going? Are they actually going to MSM to read about trump because Breitbart et al won't cover it? Or are they just skipping the news? I know a lot of RWM types and they loving hate anything going outside their bubble.

Most of them are probably on CNN and MSNBC. Right wing media is now the journalistic equivalent of Hitler's bunker. Everyone knows the alphabet agencies have something big on the Trump administration, they just can't say/don't know exactly what it is. Brennan basically confirmed it so many words. Beyond that the realization has crept in to even the most loyalist camps that Trump as president is a total disaster even without this Russia thing in the way. Only Trump honestly thinks he will survive.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Kushner really has no qualifications whatsoever does he. When was the last time nepotism was so baldly overt? Bobby Kennedy at least passed the bar before becoming AG.

Who else is going to do the work at this point? They can't find a replacement for FBI Director.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

The nazi high command was impossibly incompetent and its one of the more bizarre accidents of history that they became as significant as they did.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493762&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=901#post442986216

Hitler studies a scale model of his planned re-building of Linz, the future Cultural Capital of his reich.The skyline was to be dominated by a huge clock tower that would play a movement from Schubert's 6th every morning, and its gilded roof would be the first building to reflect the morning sun. Hitler was very concerned that the locals would be offended if the clock tower was taller than the tallest building in the city - the cathedral - and spent countless hours deciding the height of the tower. This was in February 1945.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't even think a reichstag moment is possible. Like what would have to happen to compare?

The surveillance state makes a false flag pretty impossible.

9/11 style events verge into tom Clancy territory pretty quick.

We're probably just stuck with low level terrorist attacks alternating with increasingly violent white supremacists attacks committed by lone wolves for reasons we can never fully understand.

Actually we know a lot about terrorists of all stripes, and politically they are remarkably similar throughout the world. This extends all the way to some white supremacist hillbillies openly claiming they have common cause with Al Qaeda. Luckily, white supremacists are so paranoid that they do not trust even one another, and every group is a separate cult of personality (rarely of ideology) that does not tolerate competitors.

The FBI does a lot of work monitoring white supremacists, but I feel like if it was made a policy priority we could put an end to them, in much the same way that we now appear to have no U.S.-based terror "cells." It would take a 9/11-scale atrocity for this to happen, however.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tengames posted:

With how many people are dropping out of serveral high end positions and how many remaining are getting pulled into the investigation, i fully expect them to skip the Reichstag moment needed and go straight in panic mode doing literally everything they can and can't get away with to keep control, hoping the GOP is too Implicated at that point to stand up to them.

For the record, i don't think it will work.

They're not organized enough to have a cohesive strategy, least of all in their death throes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spaced God posted:

The GOP will totally do whatever it takes to keep in power. We already know this from what happened in North Carolina. They will totally go full fascism now in order to oppress browns and poors and gays and make more money.

Full Fascism Now would be one thing, they're having a hard time with Reagan economic policy/Thatcherism.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, most of the legislative work they're doing is state level, and that's all coordinated nationally through ALEC. There's a reason "bathroom bills" hit in multiple states at once. Ditto voter ID, etc.

That said yeah there's no one villain cackling over a cat in a volcano crater. There's just a lot of independent Republican politicians independently grasping at power using a common, national toolbox.

Oh, I was speaking more of the Trump administration. The actual Republican political machine is a much different story.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Leaving the Paris Accords gained Trump literally nothing and only ended up pissing off both regular and powerful people across the political spectrum. It was an amazing self own.

It was a fantastic way to get people to learn about what the Paris Accords actually are. Donald Trump, liberal sleeper agent.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Covok posted:

That Italian Prime Minister who hosed all the super models and had 100 mistresses probably ranks up there.

Berlusconi was more or less a Trump trial balloon.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

NYT reports that Sessions is in Trump's doghouse because he recused himself, thereby causing all these legal problems in Trump's mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/...v=top-news&_r=0

(Trump's mind almost certainly being poisoned by staffers who don't like Sessions)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Was there any context to this at all to make it seem less over the top? All of the clips I've seen are just the statement, which is hilarious and comes across as "I support literally killing the poor."

Freudian slip from "minimum wage" most likely, which is also not good to just verbally come out against at a debate at this point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nosre posted:

Gonna get buried under ME War Mark III, but blue states are escalating 'gently caress Trump':

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/07/china-and-california-sign-deal-to-work-on-climate-change-without-trump

Nonbinding, but still.

lol world leaders are quite hip now to the fact that nothing Trump says carries any weight.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I give this 9/10 Dick Dorkins

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kekekela posted:

I never knew about this "Irish haven't always been considered white" thing until this thread, and still can't get my head around it. They're pasty white as gently caress, how would you even know they were Irish if they didn't talk?

The Irish were a despised underclass in the British Isles for the better part of a thousand years, starting with accusing them of being barbarians in order to justify invading their land. Their status as an underclass dovetailed with the Catholic/Lutheran split, of which the Irish were on the losing side in Britain.

Effectively they were stereotyped as loathsome, drunkard barbarians, because being downtrodden, they looked the part.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah that Lutheran reformation really caught on in England.

Edit: For those who may be as ignorant as the poster, it did not. There are fewer than a million Lutherans in England today. The English refer formation was a whole other, different thing.

Yeah I deffo used the wrong word there, meaning another

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Crain posted:

Ok, finally lunch time what's happened so far?

James Comey has delivered the TV/IV that news organizations hoped for.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

WTF happened? Last I heard they were still expecting a landslide, if smaller than what they had been.

It turns out Theresa May, a dead-ringer for the Penguin's sister in Batman Returns, is a really bad campaigner.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I love UK Prime Minister self owns.

Assuming the other two parties allied with Labour, what happens with a tied parliament?

May commits political seppuku for her failure and a lot of poo poo goes up in the air, whereas before we were on the march toward Brexit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

So if the graphic is off by 1, then it could be Corbin PM? Am I getting this right?

Corbin is only PM if he has the most seats, I believe.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Feinne posted:

When they called this snap election they were seemingly in a position to really properly nail down a convincing mandate for their policies and instead the elderly marxist jam man and his goofy friends managed to stem the tide of evil just enough as to ruin it.

For a while, the polls showed such a conservative lead that there was op-ed talk of Labor permanently disintegrating into multiple parties due to the sheer power of the ownage that would be rained down on them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Trump was a bigger wake up call to Europe than Brexit. He's far more horrifying.

Both threaten the established European political order of the last half-century and allow Russia, the world's largest mafia, to destabilize the world in their favor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

According to the betting market juts now the left wing guy is now favored to be Prime Minister.

Betting markets are useful for making money on professional wrestling shows, not politics

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrNemo posted:

Professional bookmakers have historically been better predictors than UK pollsters (mostly because they get recorded near the election)

Well, I was making more of a joke, and figured the first response would be about one of the goons who made bank on U.S. election markets.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It really is amazing how long the US has gone on for with things being based on non-written rules and expectations for its government. One idiot con man and a party dedicated to keeping him in power is really showing how much was based on in-good faith actors in our governing bodies. If we survive this insanity maybe we'll start codifying all that with actual laws

Yeah when the democrats get power again I am sure there will be a lawstorm. This will probably be the last presidential candidate to get cute about their taxes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Raylen posted:

I bet he told one of his Secret Service dudes that he was gonna invoke jus primae noctis until an aide had to tell him it wasn't a real thing and super illegal.

Songs like You're So Vain were written about people like Trump, so we've really moved past having to write that sort of thing into law.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So I guess the question is, when did Putin start bankrolling far left figures? This is obviously something that took a lot of cultivation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Why are you pro capitalism if it is incapable of keeping people alive?

Life is cheap

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

aware of dog posted:

So Session's answers on why he can't answer these questions is totally bunk, right?

Yes. He is attempting to dodge questions without asserting the fifth while at the same time making the argument that Comey betrayed the Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Does this chode think he's slick?

Well imagine what kind of cretin you would have to be to back Trump early on before there was anything in it for you.

• Locked thread