Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

chutche2 posted:

he owns like 20 .

I like this person, dreads own.

Painted my first primaris, one of the new demo models. They aint bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

So just wanna give a shout out to Spellcrow.

I ordered some shirtless ork torsos to test the look for my Warboyz, and not only did I get 20 excellent sculpts on clean sprues, but they threw in a whole additional bag of random bitz (mostly heads and weapon arms).

Good people to work with, and probably going to get more of my money soon if these paint up as cool as they look plain.

I was just about to ask whether they had a good rep, want to order some random Ork bits to make some spanner boyz. Good to hear.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Any of our resident Ork players want to give me some advice? I am trying to draft a 1.5k list now indexes are out.

Regular warbikers? I love the aesthetic, but the only consolidated source of 8e unit info I can find considers them absolutely terrible, though it is 1d4chan wiki so they could be over reacting.

Koptas seem really, really expensive, over 80 points a pop for fairly innaccurate guns and a random number of attacks, what are the benefits to them? I have 3 aobr models and again, sweet as gently caress aesthetic so I'm just looking for a reason to field them.

A gun platform battlewagon? A few weeks before 8th dropped someone had the idea of loading a kff mek into a hardcase battlewagon, having it hang back with the killkannon and shokk gun and have it blast things while the mek keeps it safe and topped up. Anyone tried it yet? I feel like I might be able to get similar results for slightly cheaper if I swap the wagon for some mek guns, more accurate too.

I want the centrepiece of my army to be a Big Mek, Painboy and Warboss all on warbikes backed up by some nob bikers. Riding around tying stuff up to allow some big squads of boyz to foot slog up the map safely. Backed up by some of the above.

I'm not too bothered about having the absolute most optimised list but I don't want to spend my money and points on a terrible strategy or really bad units. So advice would be appreciated.

I like speed freaks - Ork warbikers seem to have been buffed. They have 2 wounds and now have 6 shots at s5. They are quick which will help them get into combat turn 1-2. Moral is a weakness as they will have fewer models than most Ork units and they have lost the inbuilt cover save. I cannot see a reason to complain about them. Deffkoptas seem to be useful for harassing a weaker backfield unit. I think they are too expensive for 4 wounds at T5 if you take killsaws and/or rokkits. I would say keep them cheap and use them to tie up units after dropping a bomb on them.

For your purposes, you can squeeze 3 30 Boy units and a 10 Nob-biker unit into a brigade detachment accompanied by a Warboss, Painboy and Big Mek (all on bikes). Lots of klaws in there.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

TKIY posted:

I have the FW Xenos book. Just unlocked.

Can you see rules for the Mega dread?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

TKIY posted:

You mean the Meka-Dread?

Na, different unit (or it used to be) https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-WW/Ork-Mega-Dread. Can't see it in the new index, unless I'm blind.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty disappointed in the FW team loving up and missing the Mega Dredd out (in addition to the missing weapons and options on the Meka one). Hopefully they'll rectify it eventually with a PDF download or something.

Yeah, it is a poor job. They left out the cybork units and a few of the mek vehicles. Shame.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Have a cross post:

That deff dread is a conversion from the original metal model. I bought 2 of the shits off ebay and have converted them to be a similar size to the new plastic model.

Just saw the following email from Forgeworld posted on the Waaagh forum as a response to a query about the lack of a Mega-dread entry.

"Hi Greg,

Thanks for the email, we are still waiting to hear back from our design team regarding this as looking at the announced data sheet on the community forum for the Meka dread now covers the Mgea and Meka dread designs, the rules and special rules lead us to believe that these are now the same model that have a special rule to theme them to a kustom meka or the heavy hitting mage dread and a renamed kill kannon into the rattling kannon.

Again we are not 100% sure if this is accurate it is just out thoughts till the rules team let us know if this is the case or if the data sheet was accidentally left out."

They may have forgotten to include the rules or there may be no rules. Pure comedy.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

chutche2 posted:

The idea is it's an extremely focused tiny beam that penetrates well but burning a 1-2mm hole in the side of most things in 40k won't do anything

They should use a bigger laser.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Flyers are definitely a challenge. I think Stormboyz might be helpful.

Stormboyz are a steal. They are stupidly quick and I am thinking about replacing Boyz with them. Only problem is I need more models and they are expensive.

Bringing this back to template/blast weapons, it would help if there was another d6 at half-strength/S4. It would help with hordes and prevent the guns becoming ridiculous AV platforms.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

goose willis posted:

Meanwhile the loving space marines are in dire need of even more dread variations and Venerable NounNoun Battlemaster Killertanks

There is always a need for more dreads but it would be nice if GW multi-tasked.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Xpost:

Here is a group of 3 dredds:

3 dredds and a mega dredd:

3 dredds, a mega-dredd and a Gorkanaut type thingy:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Cainer posted:

Are they seriously re-releasing Necromunda?! I can finally bring out my old redeemers and repaint them cause as my first models they're ugly as sin?! I really hope this is a real thing, small skirmish games like it, Shadow War and Mordheim have always been my favorite part of 40k.

I was at a GW store and someone from the 'eavy metal crew stated necromunda was an upcoming thing. Not sure if he wasn't trolling though.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hugely disappointed that Flash Gits are still garbage despite the amazing plastic kit though :smith:

They don't have quality or quantity in shooting or assault - but their time will come.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

Back from vacation and after spending half the weekend trying to find a good used car for a teenage daughter, I was finally able to finish the Rough Riders (Centigors)

I like non-standard armies and yours is fun. Have you modelled nervous looking members of the administratum?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Those dice are terrible. I can't tell if one is a 4 or a 5, I guess another is a 6.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

The cheapest and most efficient is:

Money spent on Heinz means less money for Hams. Weirdo.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Big Wall of text - I played my first game of 8th yesterday.

My list was a spearhead detachment:

HQ:
2 Big Meks (one with a KFF)

Elites:
1 Mek, 1 Waaagh Banner Nob

Heavy:
1 Gorkanought
1 Meka Dread (Ratler gun and KFF)
2 Deff Dreads (all with big shootas)
3 Killa-Kans (all with big shootas)
3 Killa-Kans (all with big shootas)

His list was a battalion detachment with a spearhead detachment:

HQ
1 Avatar
2 Warlocks

Troops
3x dire avengers with exarchs

Dedicated Transports
3x Wave Serpents

Heavy
2 Wraithlords with dual bright lances
Dark Reapers

We played tactical escalation on Hammer and Anvil. The 6 objective markers were evenly spread - 2 on the right and left sides in each table third. I deployed in a narrow column as far forward as possible. He deployed his dark reapers and wave serpents on the flanks back in his deployment to keep them within 36 inches, his Wraithlords and Avatar stood to the front but 24" away.

First 5 turns
The first 5 turns involved my army lurching straight forward pinging shots off of his Wraithlords in an ineffectual manner. His army walked backwards trying to stay out of charge range. Not one of his units went beyond his deployment zone. Over the first 5 turns of shooting I killed 1 Wraithlord..
He had targeted the Kans and Dreads first, before he switched to the bigger, stompier, angrier, killinger, smashinger Gorkanought and Meka Dread. His Dark Reapers mostly missed but the bright lances did a huge amount of damage. His Wave Serpents were probably his MVPs with a large number of S6 shots each turn stripping multiple wounds away with vlume of fire. He killed a unit of Killa-Kans, a Deff Dread and the Gorkanought. As an aside, my Meks did no damage but returned a huge number of wounds to the walkers.

Had the game ended on turn 5, he would have won 6 VPs to 4. He had scored first blood(1), Master the Warp(1), secure objective 6(1) Defend Objective 1(2), and Kill a Unit with Shooting(1). I had secured Objective 3(1) and scored 3 from Area Denial. To sum up the first 5 turns, I had half an army left and he had everything bar a Wraithlord with his Dire Avengers not having left their Wave Serpents.

It went to turn 6.

Turn 6 or "all 'bout dem 'jectives"
By the start of turn 6 he had no table room left into which he could to retreat; however, due to his shooting, I had little left with which I could pursue him.

He finally disembarked from the Wave Serpents so his Dire Avengers could blade storm. His shooting dropped the Meka-Dread to 3 wounds. Realising he didn't want to be charged, he assaulted my remaining Deff Dredd with his Wraithlord and stripped 3 wounds away -my Dread did 9 wounds in return. His Avatar charged and killed the Meka-Dread, netting him 2 VPs for Big Game Hunter.

In my turn, shooting dropped his Avatar to 6 wounds. I charged 2 Killa Kans into his Avatar and 1 charged into his Wraithlord. Due to the Waagh banner and an incredible amount of luck, the 2 Kans killed his Avatar, netting me 1 VP for Slay the Warlord and Kingslayer which provided 2 further VPs. The other Kan stripped the final wound from his Wraithlord allowing me to consolidate onto Objective 1 for a VP. However, due to splitting up my other models, I managed to snag objective 5 for a VP; I scored 2 VPs for Supremacy and 3 VPs for Behind Enemy Lines. In total I scored 10 VP on turn 6.

The game went to turn 7 and my opponent conceded after he drew no objectives he could achieve and he didn't table me with shooting. The final tally was 14-8 to the Orks, although I had 1/3 of my army left with him retaining 2/3.

In summary:

My MVPs were the Big Meks, they did no damage and made 1 shot an an enemy in anger. However, they returned a Deff Dread from 2 wounds remaining to full health (twice) and probably added 6+ wounds back to both Meka Dread and Gorkanought. This meant I could push him back to his short board edge and allowed me free-rein over all objectives bar 1. my army lacked any decent anti-armour shooting which was a costly mistake. His mistake was to keep dropping back in uniform. He could have screened his army with the Dire Avengers, who were otherwise useless. He failed to flank which prevented his army drawing mine apart. He would have won had I not been very lucky with objectives and assault on turn 6. But, who cares, as Orks Win Again.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Powerful guns with long range is a stupid design decision unless it is tempered with few shots or a ridiculous price.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

I played against that 'no codex armies!!!' guy today and it was the worst game of my life.

You in the UK? Thought I saw you lived in Bristol.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

chutche2 posted:

Do you think GW will ever come up with a fix for how powerful top of 1 shooting and charges is?

I always thought harshly limiting gun range, and charging back at 6" range might force people to move. Balance it by making shooting more deadly when up close.

You could also make everyone's BS worse but improve it as people get closer. -1 at long range, no mod at medium range and +1 when close. Would have to change most weapons and units though. The main aim would be to force people to move to seek out the best chance to kill with shooting.

I am bias though, I like cqc and have had my fill of rushing players camped at the far edge on Hammer & Anvil. My fault for not bringing enough Kommandos.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

So this evening a friend & regular 40k opponent and I went round a local gaming cafe to play some random people. This place is walking distance from my flat, so I figured it was worth the effort. I’d asked on the place’s Facebook page if anyone was up for a game. Always a bit chancy, but what do I have to lose eh?

Well, it was a reminder of why 40k is a great time with friends but can be uninspiring if you don’t click with the people you play with. These weren’t bad guys, they just had nothing interesting to say, no real banter. We played on the cafe’s tables which were a couple 4x4 GW plastic boards with a few tiny bits and pieces of age of sigmar terrain (for some reason). This is partly the fault of the anaemic terrain rules, but here misogyny as well have been no cover, since it could only really block los to single models! And 1500 pts on a 4x4 is pretty crowded in my book.

I won a rather dull game against a dark angels shooting list featuring the shooty bubble and 4+ invulnerable bubble of their special character. The worst I can say of my opponent was he just seemed to have a lot of misplaced knowledge of the game. He kept thinking weapons were different strengths or ap or damage, he spent a few minutes trying to explain why wound degradation didn’t affect heavy bolsters on his vehicles, only the main gun. Bizarre. Not all stuff in his favour or anything, he just seemed to be confidently playing with the wrong rules.

My friend, though, had a crap evening. We pride ourselves on being good losers when necessary, but I could tell he didn’t enjoy his game at all. He had practically all melee tyranids (his only shooting was S4 and S3) and his opponent pulled out an army consisting of 4 leman Russ tanks (1 tank commander, making it a spearhead detachment) and 2 hellhounds. I’m all for hard armies and bringing your A game, but who arranges a first time meeting pick up game with someone and brings that sort of thing? Tanks were all bare grey plastic, natch.

In summary: we played 40k, but it wasn’t much fun. Does anyone know fun people who like war hammer in the Birmingham area? UK, not USA.

I had some fun games of 40k with this lot when I lived in brum: http://www.octoberwargames.co.uk/

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Power klaws at 13 points, nice.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I never liked the stands, it made them look like they were hung from a coat rack. I cut the clear stands down and pinned them to their feet instead.

This looks better.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Yeast posted:

I feel like a loving chump for buying a hardcopy of the Imperial Guard Codex now.

Within 10 days it got FAQ'd to change the way Comissars & conscripts work, and now all the points have changed for many units, less than 2 months later.

So does GW keep printing the codecies with wrong rules and points, or do they do a re-print?

I have noted the new points cost in my index, its a pain in the backside but manageable. I prefer they release this type of update to leaving some armies in outdated codex limbo.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, this is meant to be a female Space Marine, I wanted them to be obviously female while fitting the rest of my army, which is entirely helmeted, the only part of Space Wolves I don't like is helmetlessness.
As to the helmet proportions, the SoS models are ever so slightly taller than normal Marines, so given that any helmet worn is going to be bigger than a head, I think that part fits fairly well, but there's no working around it anyway.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

B) Shuriken Cannons get -3 AP on Wound Rolls of 6+, which definitely changes the comparisons and makes Shurikens better than Scatter Lasers (even ignoring Assault vs. Heavy) and possibly even Starcannons against T4/3+/1W?

I faced a cannon heavy Eldar list, those rolls of 6 are a dangerous bonus.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
The models I painted in 2017, mostly stormboyz and stompy boyz:

All due to the oath thread.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

From the report

quote:

Sales
Reported sales grew by 54% to £108.9 million for the period. On a constant currency basis, sales
were up by 53% from £70.9 million to £108.6 million; split by channel this comprised: retail £39.3
million (2016: £29.2 million), trade £48.0 million (2016: £29.3 million) and mail order £21.3 million
(2016: £12.4 million).

[...]

Operating profit
Operating profit before royalty income increased by £23.7 million to £33.4 million (2016: £9.7 million)
before the change in accounting estimates described below. On a constant currency basis, operating
profit before the change in accounting estimates increased by £23.4 million to £33.1 million.

Not bad

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm hoping the reason that some of these codexes have been held back is that they're gonna be tied to model releases.

I want new Ork buggies real bad. I want a codex more though as I can make a buggy out of a can of redbull and a Tonka truck.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

That "ruins are LoS blocking" house rule is some of the worst poo poo that's been introduced into the game and I wish it would die a death.

What's wrong with it?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

It's a quick fix for not having sufficient LoS blocking terrain on a table. In my opinion it doesn't really account for enough factors for how widely it's applied, particularly in that I suspect people building LoS blockers from scratch wouldn't make them with the same profiles as the ruins they currently have - i.e. a box big enough to hide a squad (or multiple squads in) from all sides. There's also no trade-off made from the rest of the ruins rules - it depends on exactly how they're worded, but on multiple occasions it's been described as "treat the entire lower floor as solid walls" which makes bikes, monsters etc. completely unable to enter the building. Solving a lack of LoS blockers by giving infantry units deployed in the terrain functional invulnerability to significant chunks of an opposing army is not a good result.

It's also about the terrain mix. A better mix of terrain would include both ruins with solid lower walls (but not necessarily from every angle) and some solid/impassable pieces which block line of sight but can be manoeuvred around. That creates tactical decisions and introduces movement into the game, rather than just creating immunity boxes and then throwing down the same stuff you've always had.

This ties into the other "issue" with 8th, that cover is useless or non-existent. That's completely untrue. It's much harder to get cover with vehicles than before, but for infantry it's key. You just need to actually get in cover by being within terrain. Cover plays an important and useful part in all my games, because my local shop has good boards with a great spread of terrain. It doesn't play a part in games on rubbish boards with 3 ruins and a hill, unsurprisingly.

From a more metaphysical point of view, the house rule is doing same thing people have done for a decade - stamp their feet and refuse to accept that TLoS is here to stay, and by doing so pushing the problem ever further into the future, requiring the same band-aid approach to be continually put into place. Six weeks into 5th I would understand if people didn't have any terrain which interacted well with TLoS because it was different in 4th, but it's been ten years now and people are still saying "we don't own any terrain which blocks line of sight!" and all I can ask is "why?"

Its only a quick fix if they wouldn't have had LoS blocking terrain with the same characteristics. I don't see why terrain would be designed differently if it blocked LoS as there is no uniform footprint or design for ruins. Where ruins block LoS ,they do it for both players' infantry and deny both players. The ability of a player to hide units behind a building is determined before deployment, it is an issue to be taken into account when you deploy.

The issue I have with cover in 8th is that it is stupid there is no issue caused by shooting through a building. Still, forcing a unit to be entirely within cover speeds up the game.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

I very strongly suspect that people would not build LoS blocking terrain which was a box with a significant table footprint, which units could deploy in, which is 100% LoS blocking to the things inside from all directions, and which gives cover to the unit inside against things not needing line of sight, and which also completely blocks non-infantry models from entering it at all (basically rendering the unit inside immune to both shooting and assault from non-infantry models). I even more strongly suspect they wouldn't use 2, 3 or 4 of them, and yet that TOs are doing so at the moment thanks to the nature of what's in their collections.

You're missing two things - 1) players aren't hiding units behind a ruin, they're hiding them in a ruin, which creates other issues besides LoS/no LoS and 2) it is entirely possible that being deprived of shooting out is not equivalent to being deprived of shooting in - say if you're using one of the 5-Sister units in the list posted before, which has very little threat potential in terms of its damage output but is fantastic being sat on an objective, even more so if they become immune to large parts of an opposing army.

"Deployment" also isn't an answer - how do you counter-deploy "my unit is in the ruin and you can't see it from anywhere on the board?"

Your issue is that non-infantry units cannot enter the ruins. Most armies should have an infantry unit capable of clearing out a small squad of 5 sisters. Whether you chose to take such an infantry unit is a choice in list building. As for the footprint issue, an objective can be hidden inside a small building if you only need to drop 5 bodies on it. If it is a large unit, that is large commitment of points which is not doing much (besides potentially scoring objectives).

The solution to this problem is already in the game. If you cannot deal with it, you are unlucky or have a problem with list design.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Av some Gitz:

And some mega-ard boyz:

And some boss boyz:

I basically repainted a load of dodgy old paint jobs with some less dodgy paint jobs because I bought some varnish. Loads more to go.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Detachments beyond 1 should cost significant CP. Theory it away as the difficulties integrating different command structures.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

7E vs. 8E:

8E for loving ever.

Tyranids 6E codex.

Orks 7E codex.

I rest my case. :colbert:

I play Orks and I want to forget 6th and 7th. Mostly because my powerklaw nobs kept being killed in challenges before they got to swing and also because of failing 3 inch charges. They did fix hitting vehicles in assault though - swings and roundabouts.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Have my Big Mek with a KFF on a jetbike:

Also, Booley your stuff is awesome. I am incredibly jealous of both your yellow and your red.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

If we do get this hypothetical big Ork release, I'm trying to think what I'd like out of it. A new model for a Warboss in Mega-Armor. Kidding, I say 'new' but mean 'any.' (Kromlech makes a nice 3P version. It's about as big as a Dreadnought.) New Warbuggies/traks models. Tankbustas and Kommandos. I feel like I'm missing something, but whatever.

I'm looking forward to new kommandos and tankbustas.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

UK goons - I'm TOing a tournament in August, held at mine and Serotonin's local. 5 games at 2k, 3 unique detachments (Dark Eldar ruling pending), should be a good time. If you're interested in attending the rulespack is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLFU7YHKocQqUpVOXwaBxK-G2naZWcB1/view

What is this place like for conversions? I have an Ork army and most units have had work done.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I would like GW to make a soup option to accompany my orks so I can grab some reliable long range anti-tank. They should release Diggas as a faction which then allow me to ally in imperial guard, similar to the Nids. Or, some other bullshit fluff reason to allow me to fill in the weakness with my Boyz.

Pendent posted:

Does not compute

The reliable comes from the ally and the meaning of reliable is relative to the context of Orks. poo poo which hits on 3s and 4s and is not sat on a T4 model with a 6+, a man can dream.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 11, 2018

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I bought a Gorkanaught, which is a poo poo model. I have tried to make it better and am happy with the results, thoughts people:

Obviously, still loads of work needed and then the rivets, which will be a weekend job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Finally decided to take the plunge into 40k and splurged on a pile of Admech and Custodes.

First painted guy crossposted from the other thread

Fantastic.