Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Halloween Jack posted:

You'd think that the fanbase would rebel at the point where they're flat-out telling you "Nothing you do below epic-level matters, it's all a kiddie ride made by Ed's GMPC."

Which is worse? Faerun, a metaplot setting where the god-tier DMPCs are going around doing cooler stuff than you? Or Deadlands, a metaplot setting where the god-tier DMPCs go around killing PCs after they do enough cool stuff?

Edit: How come we never got an official Elminster stat block in 4e or 5e?

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

https://twitter.com/tnielsenart/status/1071136123009740800

There's a whole lot of "a whole lot going on here" going on here

Are we presuming that being Mormon means being pro-Trump?Trump hammered Romney's religion pretty hard back in 2012.

But this is a pretty "out there" portrait, I'll give you that.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

put a dollar in the swear jar

Deadlands D20

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Well I did say I'd only be using the settings for the two games I mentioned not the mechanics, and with the one you're mentioning I'd be doing some heavy rewriting of the setting to get rid of the Confederate stuff(I'd probably be changing up a lot of things on the human side of the setting anyways)

Also every time I've tried getting into Space 1889 I always bounce off it because they somehow make a really cool setting concept really boring in execution

theironjef posted:

There's more about confederates than there is about dinosaurs in that trash fire. If you cleaned up the politics you'd be left with nothing but dumb scifi. The setting is basically a Georgia eight times the size of Jupiter and the dinosaurs are made exactly intelligent enough to make it clear that the good guys are slavers again.

I posted it in the FATAL & Friends thread, but Goodman Games tried to update the setting to DCC back in 2017, called Dinosaur Crawl Classics. But nothing came of it since. My personal suspicions are that the Charlottesville Rally shown to the wider public exactly the kinds of people who rally to that flag.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/223988/Goodman-Games-Gen-Con-2017-Program-Guide

http://goodman-games.com/event/dinosaur-crawl-classics/

http://goodman-games.com/event/dinosaur-crawl-classics-2/

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/10/06/designers-diary-dinosaur-crawl-classics/

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

It also accidentally insentivized paladins and other people of the good aligned persuasion to keep evil bondage clubs because all the evil bondage gear items didn't take up normal magic items slots and the Book of Exalted Deeds had rules for turning them into good guy items without changing what they actually did at all.

Keeping things Safe, Sane, & Consensual is in line with Celestial ethos.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

hyphz posted:

Well, if inconsequential failure generates XP, then the player can argue their PC goes off and spars or whatever until they have max XP. Which is awkward to argue against because it’s how people actually do learn in a world where you learn from failure. This is the same, indirectly, if inconsequential actions aren’t rolled.

If failure has to be consequential to generate XP, then we’re back to the same problem again where players are risk averse to avoid the consequences of failure, they just also feel screwed over that they have to face those consequences to advance and that there is no in game advancement reward for being the successful hero they are “supposed” to be.

I ask this in all seriousness, but do you really think this will fly at most gaming tables?

Back around 2006 when 3rd Edition was a thing, a notable WotC forum min-maxer by the name of Frank Trollman argued that 1st level D&D characters could start with massive wealth by playing as Elves and rolling Profession (Farmer) checks for 100 years before they became adults.

Now, this is something that wouldn't fly in most games, but to Frank this was a huge flaw that he presumed most gaming groups would exploit, and thus an explicitly worded rewrite of the rules in his homebrew was necessary to prevent edge cases of players acting like dicks. And not just with this hypothetical scenario, but every other case where the rules were unclear and vague.

This is the Elf Baby Farmer problem all over again.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

To be fair to the Cook, it says that it's a massive 1,000 pages. And if the artwork within is similar to the samples given, that's not an unreasonable price.

This is going solely by the price-to-content ratio and not what the quality of said content.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I know it's 2 pages ago, but the Bag of Rats problem can be easily solved by pointing out how it's a clear case of animal cruelty, and would make your cleaving/healing maneuver/etc PC Evil.

If it makes your PC sound like the kind of guy who tortures trapped squirrels for fun, they don't get that Silver Crane [Good] tagged healing sacred power. Problem solved!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

A Pay What You Want RPG inspired by Sonic the Hedgehog fanfics is up on Drive-Thru RPG.

I don't think anything more needs to be said.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I'd like to apologize to everyone for getting the new grognards.txt locked again. I was too tempted by the low-hanging fruit that I didn't consider the consequences of how my slobbering juice-stained mouth would look to everyone else.

I hereby solemnly swear to never grogquote again.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I kinda agree with Tuxedo Catfish as far as we're getting a Suicide Squad "reboot" after all of one movie, so the idea that any one depiction of a piece of fiction is any more "real" than another is completely arbitrary. They're willing to throw away the concept of continuity as long as it serves their purposes (and so should we).

Continuity for 70+ years of books, or 30+ years if we take Crisis of Infinite Earth's hard reset. Or 8 years if we count Flashpoint's reset.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Splicer posted:

That's the point. Using mutants as a stand in is results in a situation of "Yeah they are but..." and it doesn't matter what comes after the but because the initial premise is flawed. Using it as part of the discourse lends credence to a harmful conceit.

This is not a comic book nor a tabletop, but Valkyria Chronicles is a very good handling of Fictional Fantasy Racism. For those not in the know It's basically a World War 2 third-person shooter/RTS hybrid in a fantasy version of WW2 Europe. The Darcsen are very heavily coded Jews, and the antagonistic Empire faction are obvious pseudo-Nazis, down to being downright genocidal and the narrative not shying away from said groups' racism.

The Darcsen are a human ethnic group whose ancestral homeland is in what is now a desert kingdom, and their nation's participation in a long-ago war is used as an "original sin" justification to force them into ghettos and menial jobs, especially the mining and construction industries. They're often blamed for being dishonest criminal types, in spite of an entry in the in-game setting bible showing that they're not more prone to crime than others, and losing said war and subjugation encouraged a pacifistic culture among them. The Darcsen originally went to war against a group of people known as the Valkyrur who are worshiped as akin to living gods for basically conquering Europa and being the winners of history (and who the fascist Empire wants to revive as a kind of Master Race even though said experiments only ever result in destruction).

The Darcsen, while being over-represented in various "building/technical" jobs, don't have some superpowered trick up their sleeve or systemic power. Barring Darcsen soldiers joining the main squad to fight the Empire, there's no crazed extremist group trying to bomb Imperial civilians or unjustified actions on their part (unless I'm missing some weird thing from VC2 and 3, I didn't play those games).

Although the game series does have some cringey moments in regards to various things, the systemic racism against the Darcsen is quite literally unjustifiable. Unless you're a political figure seeking to shift blame or because actual historical records showing the Valkyrur as being on the wrong side of the ancient war would shake the religious foundations of the continent's false history.

More works of fiction should do something like this IMO. I could go on for much longer about VC, but in spite of being a silly anime game it created a rather detailed outline of a better representation of handling such an issue IMO.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

3 has the antagonists being an entire elite unit of Darcsens that the Empire uses for extremely dangerous missions in exchange for a Darcsen homeland. In the end their leader eventually snaps when his plan goes awry and tries to hijack an experimental Imperial missile facility and nuke the Gallia capital in order to strongarm the rest of the world into granting his goal but they are presented as pretty empathetic through the game.

Well dang. Having the not-Jews work for the not-Nazis and blackmailing the world with a nuke to get not-Israel probably explains why the series went downhill to the point that the 4th game was advertised heavily as being a r"eturn to the classics." Or maybe it was turning the 2nd game into yet another dumb high school anime.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

True story.

Thanks for digging this up, I was also looking for it. What ever happened to Liesmith?

I ended up going whole-hog and got a Platinum upgrade and avatar as well as the archives, marking this my first day as a non-Trump Lover. What unholy pact have I just made?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

The thing that gets me about the whole "mutants as metaphors for minorities" is that there's a very obvious and easy to write and glaring example where they could be used to bring new focus and attention to racial disparity and race-based oppression.

The #1 reason we have what limited gun control laws we have in the US is because of white people being afraid when black people have guns. Especially here in california, this was the most public and prominent controversy surrounding the Black Panthers; they stood around state buildings in Sacramento, open-carrying in strict compliance with the laws at the time, and that terrified the hell out of white politicians and white voters, and so they started restricting and banning guns.

But uh, in addition to racism being a hot button topic, boy isn't gun control also.

e. but basically yeah, if superhero comics want to explore racism, they can explore actual racism, they don't need mutants to be the cover.

Just gonna leave this here...

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

The "m" word. Lol.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Ettin posted:

I didn't even write that one. Like three people sent it to me when I was looking for noodle stand names.

You could say that they...sent you Noodz! :smugteddie:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Covok posted:

Aaron on Thor is still good.

Spencer on Spider-Man was a delightful surprise.

Ewing on Immortal Hulk is seminal.

Spider-Man: Life Story is awesome.

Cates on Venom is A-MAZE-ING.

Synder's Justice League is phenomenal.

There is still a lot to enjoy.

Y-you just have to...ignore this.

How's Saladin Ahmed's current run on Ms. Marvel going?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Covok posted:

No, he kidnapped the Flash and chained him to the batmobile for the express purpose of stealing his powers and killing all the criminals in a flash.

How this jives with Reverse Flash terroizing Batman? Reverse Flash mocking him that its impossible for Bruce to ever beat a Flash? Reverse Flash gloating any Flash can slow their perception of time down so far that they'd have hundreds of years to plan their next move? All in a storyline that came out only three months prior?

Who knows: Bat is popular so he can do miracles because "its so cool ehmaigawd because I can be Batman if I try hard enough cause I'm already as smart clearly unlike Chad and Stacey!"

You too, can be born into wealth with enough hard work! :ancap:

drrockso20 posted:

Worth mentioning that he and the other evil Batmen are from a literal Dark Multiverse, composed of flawed universes literally too grimdark to survive, and since the Dark Multiverse is overseen by a bat demon by the name of Barbatos, that darkness often had as it's focal point the local Batman equivalent

Not even going to go into Baby Darkseid, cause the events that resulted in that are goofy even by DC comics standards

Seems a bit strange given that the Iron Age of Comics was a thing in Marvel/DC's main continuity.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I hope that none of you previous posters have an uncovered webcam and are planning to play on Roll20. That site has the video + voice settings enabled by default.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Dunno the appropriate thread, but back in the day Paizo's Dungeon Magazine had four maps detailing parts of the Greyhawk setting. I owned them all and decided today to hang them all up together.

Click the image to enlarge.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 23, 2019

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Oh holy poo poo this is bad. It's honestly uncomfortable to watch.

The video link got DMCA'd.

Should I be thankful I cannot watch it?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

theres a lot of weirdly fascist ideology coded into fantasy it seems like, and i wonder if the resistance to monster adventurers and removing the alignment restrictions on races that a lot of grognards have is tied to their lovely reactionary politics.

i dont really think any material plane creature should be axiomatically evil, i think the 'always chaotic evil' stuff should be reserved for outsiders who are the literal embodiment of concepts. otherwise a sentient creature who can't choose their morality isn't really sentient. i realise a society can make it more or less difficult to change, but a drow baby raised by loving parents in some other society should turn out the same as them, if the kid is just automatically evil despite being loved and raised with good values, its some weird :biotruths: poo poo.

ofc theres always like instinct stuff, the same way chimps are pretty sentient but still succumb to the impulse to rip peoples dicks off despite being raised well. an illithid raised in human society would probably eat a few brains before they learned how to control their instinct (if illithids were babies, i think they get born fully formed when they take over people as brain worms). but that makes for a more interesting character in the end.

I recall one of the forgotten realms books heavily implied that Lolth was a puppeteer goddess who would psychically whisper into the minds of dark elves ever since they were babies. And that those who did not act in her way of an ideal drow would start getting constant threats and terrible dreams. Thus the reason why so many drow are Chaotic Evil is because they're effectively suffering under a music torture device that triggers for days if not years on end if they don't act like a serial killer.

Which if anything heavily implies that the drow are more victims than anything.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I'm 75% certain that the Book of Vile Darkness was Monte Cook's personal Magical Realm.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

as someone who used to get paid an exorbitant amount to stand at a table and deal blackjack, not only will I accept payment for DMing I will also encourage tipping

is what I would say if I lived in a part of the country where there is any demand for tabletop poo poo

Roll20/FantasyGrounds is your friend. :wink:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

How's everybody doing today

Had a very busy Sunday and just finished my latest FATAL & Friends write-up, so I'm feeling quite accomplished :nyoron:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Zurui posted:

Are ERP modules you know, a thing?

Venger Satanis wrote several for the OSR and his own sci-fi game Alpha Blue.

James Desborough wrote a tabletop RPG for the Chronicles of Gor novels. While a setting and not an adventure, it's quite clearly intended for ERP. I believe it had an adjoining module, but I do not know its name.

As for ERP modules not written by chuds, I cannot think of any off the top of my head. Pathfinder and 5e's OGLs clamp down heavily on that kind of content, which is why for D&D derived variants the OSR claims most of this territory.

There was a 3rd Edition 1 on 1 module called the Pleasure Prison of the Bthuvian Demon Whore, which itself was a parody rather than something to add to your spank bank. It's actually a joke from the Fear of Girls youtube parody.

As for non-D&D RPGs besides CthulhuTech, I cannot attest.

I should note that sexy tabletop tends to go more for sourcebooks than adventures, a la Book of Erotic Fantasy. Adventures tend to be railroady and constraining if done for ERP. This is due to the fact that lots of different people have different kinks and turn-ons, so unless said adventure is intended for a specific fetish or sub-community it has limited appeal.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 16, 2019

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

As far as I've heard, most erotic roleplaying is done with D&D 3.x/5e despite the fact the systems aren't built for anything approaching that, because wOrLD's grEateST ROlepLayIng GaME :shepface:

There's plenty of Vampire the Masquerade ERP out there if you know where to look. LARP and otherwise, uwu.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's the only time 3.5's "save or suck" gameplay has worked well.

USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

hyphz posted:

I do get the spirit behind most of the answers, what I don't get is how they, once accepted, would deal with "I look with my eyes. What do I see?"

No offense, hyphz, but based upon my readings of your typical gaming groups they're full of sadistic players who read the rules with the intent of "how can I be as disruptive as possible to everyone else?" As a result, you're basing your rules readings around presuming that the rules need to handle those who will misconstrue them into bad faith arguments. Any system has holes in it, and if some disruptive Munchkin wants to abuse the wording of the rules they will find a way.

I can get that; a lot of newcomers have had their interactions with a system or tabletop at large tainted by bad sessions. As cliche as it may sound, playing with other groups, or even like Serf said reading and watching other people play can help illustrate how people would deal with the "what do I see?" question in actual play. And also to stop gaming with the problem players; no gaming's better than bad gaming.

If you have 50 minutes to spare, here's an Actual Play of Masks by veteran tabletop gamers. I watched them play Deadlands a while ago, and they are good at injecting personality and role-play into the sessions to make them entertaining to listen to. I have not watched the whole thing, this was what I pulled off of a YouTube search, but they're a channel I recognize.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 26, 2019

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it has ever helped.

World War 2 continues to be the universal exception (as in invading Nazi Germany and its occupied territories).

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would say there are four major factions in TG

1. people who just want a better version of D&D 4E and, frankly, would probably be happier just playing board games

2. people who think literally everything, even if it's a story about invading dungeons to kill things and take their stuff, should be a fiction-first story game using PBTA or FATE rules, maybe Fiasco if you're feeling saucy

3. the loose federation of Jenna Moran / Greg Stolze / Burning Wheel / World of Darkness fans, for people who are confused by the very suggestion that narrative and crunch are somehow opposites and whose GMs are secretly alien supercomputers rather than normal people

4. the OSR and/or various old editions of D&D fans who are constantly on defensive because everyone else is always criticizing them, and while some of those criticisms are correct enough to make them insecure, a lot of them fail to understand what makes those old games appealing and throw out the baby with the bathwater

As a guy who was once trapped in the D&D/Pathfinder ghetto, briefly escaped to do a bunch of one-shot indie games, whose last major campaign was Savage Worlds Deadlands, and most recently ran Shadow of the Demon Lord, this leaves me in a very weird place.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Found this posted on a Savage Worlds Facebook group.

Deadlands: Lost Colony is getting an SW update on October 2019.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

So I found this on a Savage Worlds Facebook group of some other big changes coming to Deadlands. The Confederacy is being retconned so that it lost the war and is no longer a playable faction. This was listed as one of several things in an October update on the official site.

Shane Lacy Hensley posted:

Hey friends! Let's talk about today's Deadlands announcement.

I'm going to try and keep it short, but...we'll see. (Edit: I failed. :) )

First off, the ultimate decision to ditch the CSA in the Deadlands timeline is mine and mine alone. I created the world, I run the world with the help of some excellent people, and I know where it's heading.

Some may not know my bona fides, so here they are to avoid that discussion. I have a Masters Degree in Political Science and Military History. I've read dozens of books on the Civil War, visited at least a dozen museums, and walked the battlefields from Gettysburg to Franklin, TN and even out here in Arizona (the furthest "battle" of the West fought at Picacho Peak!). I've written historical miniatures rules featuring the ACW, was raised in both Ohio AND Virginia, and studied and modeled numerous battles of the Civil War for various wargames. I'm happy to academically debate what the war was all about. But not here, and not in Deadlands.

So what are my politics and biases? I'm a fiscal conservative, social liberal...though there are LOTS of exceptions and nuances in between, like most everyone else. My main mottos are do unto others as you'd have them do unto you, and live and let live. I served in the US Army, went to Virginia Tech, and now live in the beautiful deserts of Arizona where I can be a little closer to the West I love so much.

Now back to the game stuff.

I made the decision to remove the CSA from Deadlands about two years ago as we were creating Deadlands Dark Ages, and I knew the "Morgana Effect" would be the story reason for this revision and other, lesser continuity issues. The fall of the CSA after the Battle of Washington (1871 in DL lore) is just the thing people are going to get riled about.

I talked over the idea with the core team way back then. They're northerners and southerners and Europeans and Westerners and conservatives and liberals of many backgrounds and perspectives...and we all agreed it was the way to go for a great number of reasons.

I'll tell you why below, but first, we knew there was no business "win" here. The folks who accused of us being Southern apologists for the last twenty years would continue doing so. Those who had defended the existence of the South as a far more complex story decision (and thanks, btw!) would say we sold out, were pandering, and leave.

We knew we would absolutely lose some fans and sales over this decision. So to say we're pandering for sales is incorrect. Again, we're going to *lose* sales. Certainly for a while.

I acknowledge that and am okay with it. I accept the fallout today's announcement will cause and am completely okay with it. Nothing said here will change our opinions or hurt my feelings.

But Deadlands is mine, friends. I get to make those decisions and decide what's in the sandbox.

I *love* the enthusiasm people have for the Weird West. I love what they add to it. I love how they dress up for it at LARPs (and have even taken over entire *towns* for them--check out our Russian partners at Studio101!), play the RPG, get tattoos of Hangin' Judges and Jackalopes, and even get married in Deadlands garb. It's amazing and awesome and humbling.

But it's still mine. And until I die, it will stay that way. I know what it is and where I want it to go.

I also get to see the big picture among communities all over the world. People love Deadlands in Spain and Italy and Russia and Poland and Brazil and Germany and Hungary and China and SO many other places.

So why make the change?

Because first, we don't need it for the grand story we want to tell. When I created the whole thing twenty years ago the existence of the CSA was War's main strategy for sewing chaos and division in the US (War is one of the Reckoners in DL for those who don't know). It was a hook to create the world of Deadlands that was relatively empty then, and certainly unladen with the 25 years of history and dozens of sourcebooks you know now.

Since that decision, the role of ghost rock, the various factions, the Cult of Lost Angels, the Rail Barons, the secret organizations, and all the other wonderful and cool stuff our core team and dozens of freelancers have added to the world since were FAR more interesting and colorful.

But there is a real world "cost" to keeping the CSA, and it's one I don't have to pay...someone else does. And I don't want that. Having characters loyal to the CSA...not just "Southerners" but actual loyalists to the cause, even if anti-slavery but loyal for some reason... can be *incredibly* uncomfortable for others at the table. Especially those of African-American descent. Imagine the GM having to roleplay those voices. That's not fun. That's not what our game's about. It's not what we *want* our game to be about.

I run Deadlands for people *all around the world*. I play with all ethnicities, genders, orientations, cultures, religions, and political outlooks. I've literally run thousands of games for probably about ten thousand people over the last 25 years, and met and talked to FAR more than that in various talks, panels, guest appearances, signings, etc. And I *love* meeting you all. I *love* learning about our similarities AND differences and then having a drink and throwing some dice and shooting zombies with you. :)

We just want to tell wild tales of the Weird West. Yes, we'll make an occasional statement...I slip my views into everything I write, intentionally or otherwise...who doesn't? But our *main goal* is for people to spend time with friends they'll probably know for *decades* and leave game night feeling like a hero. Hopefully with a big goofy smile on their face as they remember that weird encounter with the jackalope or tumblebleed or the called shot that rolled 34 damage. :)

So what about the story and history of Deadlands? How will Noir and Hell on Earth work? We answered those questions internally a long time ago, and think the post-Morgana Effect stories we're going to tell are FAR cooler and more interesting. :)

And honestly, I'll tell you a secret. it really doesn't change much even in the Weird West. We just haven't done much with the Civil War or the CSA outside of the "Dead Presidents" adventure or as occasional background.

Everything up to the Battle of Washington stays the same. The Agents and Texas Rangers still fight with each other over the best way to handle the Reckoning. The Great Rail Wars still happen.

We described the USA / CSA a bit more in Back East North and South in Deadlands Classic, but the "north and south" still exist. The South just isn't its own government anymore. Tensions still exist. Loyalists from both sides still skirmish, especially in the border states. Fort 51 and Roswell compete with each other just like the Agents and Rangers. Honestly, it's just not that big a deal.

(The Last War in Hell on Earth gets a little weirder but a LOT more fun and Deadlands-y! :) )

Maybe you'll agree. Maybe you won't. That's okay. We're doing it anyway. We hope you'll join us, of course. Every creator wants to see their works loved and appreciated and our team is no different...but ultimately, and I'll just speak for myself here, I create the worlds I want. I know who I am and what I stand for, and can say the same for our team...even those with vastly different viewpoints. Meet me in person in a casual environment and I might even have a political conversation with you if you seem genuinely interested in a conversation. Just be warned. You might like what I have to say...you might not. But if I say anything, it'll be honest.

And by the way, I expected some to say I was pandering in SWADE with Red and Gabe. Think that if you want, but they're just who I saw in my head the entire time I was writing it. That's what I did and I'm happy with it. I hope you are too, but it's okay if you aren't. That's your business. I know my mind and my heart and I'm sure you know yours.

Thanks for reading this long post. We knew this would be a controversial topic, and that's okay. But we aren't going to answer to it anymore. I might point people to this post, I might just delete new threads if the tone is going to derail and poison the community we've ALL worked so hard to build. Fair warning.

If you want to talk about or critique the decision further, feel free to do so elsewhere. Our decision was made long ago and we're moving on. *Nothing* will change that opinion.

Our efforts are focused on making the best game and worlds we know how to make. If they don't fit your tastes, that's okay. We're all lucky to live in a golden age of gaming right now where there are *hundreds* of other choices for you to patronize. I'm *very* happy to see any of my friends at other companies get your business and for *you* to find whatever game / company / system makes YOU and your friends happy. Truly. :)

Thanks again for reading, friends, whether you like what I had to say or not. We'll see (most of) you on Banshee, where you can find out just what happened to the Reckoners after the Unity adventure. We think it's pretty cool, and hope you think so too!

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 18, 2019

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Covok posted:

You know, y'all are way too focused on Pokemon when Digimon is clearly the better show.

The fact that Digimon can talk does wonders in elevating them from "cockfighting monsters" to feeling like real partners of the Digi-Destined with character development.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Covok posted:

How many medieval fantasy role-playing games that lack magic in their system and setting? It can't be many. It must be fewer that are good.

I haven't read them, but I recall that a few Game of Thrones/Song of Ice & Fire tabletop RPGs were more or less magic-free. On the PC's sides at the very least.

Adventures in Middle-Earth 5e is a close case or qualifies depending on your standards, with the closest 'magical' options being elf arrows which can put people to sleep but nothing in the vein of blasting lightning bolts from your fingertips or summoning a swarm of animals.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Hey y'all, I take it most of you aren't Dragonlance fans, but one of the more novel ideas the setting had was alternate timelines due to River of Time shenanigans. One of the sourcebooks had an entire chapter on alt-Krynns based on major historical incidents changing. Like what if the Kingpriest prevented the Cataclysm, what if the Wizards of High Sorcery got more involved in politics and set up magocracies across Ansalon, etc.

I was wondering if anything similar happened in What If? scenarios for other settings out there. Like Faerun, Eberron, Greyhawk, etc.

Seems a cool idea

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thanks for saying I have brainworms because I stated "rapidash cavalries probably existed", I guess. I don't see where I demanded detailed rules regarding mounted pokemon combat and honestly you're spinning a lot of fanfic out of a two word statement from one guy.

But since we're on the topic, hey, I wonder what the perfect pokemon tabletop RPG would look like...

May be the strangest dog to have in this fight, but Plutonis actually cut off a more detailed portion of the reply.

There was a pseudo-Pokemon setting and new mechanics made for Pathfinder known as Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters. it got high reviews from many players, although when it comes to PF that's no indication of the quality of balance.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Speaking as someone who chilled in the OSR for several years...

There are some good games to be found there, that have actual reasonings beyond nostalgia. All of Kevin Crawford's work, the Nightmares Underneath RPG, and publications by Hydra Cooperative are all good systems designed by non-reactionary people as far as I can tell.

But many of its larger names, from Frog God Games, Lamentations, Autarch, etc, have shielded and legitimized toxic people and whose works were mainstream within said OSR sphere. While Zak S has justifiably been exiled with extreme prejudice from several communities, others still have a sense of legitimacy to this day. Thus the reason for SWORD DREAM forming.

Lord knows that Paizo and WotC have their own bad takes, as does wider nerd culture, although in my personal experience I have encountered more reactionary, bigoted, and overall terrible people (both as general fans and game designers) within the OSR than other D&D subcultures and fandoms.

While I do play some retroclones time and again, I would not think to recruit strangers anymore for them. This is a wider policy with games in general no matter the system as I already built up my own circle of confidants, but least of all with retroclones nowadays.

Typical goon doesn't see the value in talking to someone unless you can give them orders or mind control them.
~Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So co-opted by nazis means "the logo creator says no hate speech and some assholes complained"? I mean, I've not seen these "forums" of people but I'll take your word they exist - do you really think the complainers are more representative of the overall attitudes in the OSR than the logo creator declaring "no hate speech"? "The community uses copyright law to cast off hateful content" sounds like evidence of the opposite to me, even if there are some folks who will protest.

Macris, the creator of Adventurer Conqueror King asked Vox Day to design one of his classes for an upcoming rulebook. When people complained he admitted that fans of Vox's novels contributed a substantial portion of backers for his KickStarter (second post in the thread). While we have no hard and fast data on the political beliefs of the average ACKS player, Vox Day's blog is full of things like speaking positively of the alt-right including repeating the 14 words mantra, alleging that it would be a net positive to expel the United States' black population and uses the triple parenthesis logo around people he doesn't like. He's also the person who masterminded the Sad Puppies fiasco, so it's not like he was an obscure name at the time whose background couldn't have been found with a quick Google search.

Given that Vox's claim to fame in the wider sphere of geek culture is hateful rhetoric, this means that if you sit down and game at an ACKS table there's a chance that one or more players are the types of people who believe that whites are the Master Race if we go by Autarch's own words on proportion of KickStarter backers. Macris' promotion of his work on the RPG Site after getting in a forum war with the Gaming Den over the latters' anger at his association with racists like Yiannopoulos, along with several of those RPG Siter's trotting out phrases like "chimping out" in said forum war, is not a good look for the company Autarch keeps or wants to bring in as fandom.

Of course the OSR does not begin and end with ACKS, but this is but one example of many of the OSR's toxic communities.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 8, 2019