Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

If we want to get into the nitty gritty, there are a couple Ascians from 1.0 who are still unaccounted for. Somebody was Travanchet and I think they abandoned the idea of there being lower-ranked Asicans than the Thirteen, so Masked Mage should probably be someone too.

I mean, there are loads of lower-ranked Ascians running around that aren't named or accounted for. In Shadowbringers, Elidibus brings a bunch of them in to go around and cause generic JRPG villain trouble when he's trying to inspire people to become heroes. The Scions go take care of it off-screen while you're helping with the soul vessel stuff.

As far as I can tell, there were the three Unsundered, and then everyone else, of which there are just A Lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Personally, I think that (MSQ 5.4) we're going to deal with Zenos and Fandaniel in 5.5, and move on to something else in 6.0. The threat of the towers is too imminent and serious to leave off solving until the next expansion. There's still other Imperial Legions that are out there in the world with their own evil plans, like those guys down in Dalmasca from the Stormblood alliance raids.

It's just hard for me to see how we don't just say "okay let's go kill Zenos again" now that the WoL is back on the Source. Maybe Fantastic Daniel runs away to the moon and we have to follow him in the next expansion, but I don't think this tower thing is the lead-up to 6.0, just the end of the 5.x patches.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

multijoe posted:

It could be that the towers are going to initiate whatever goes down in 6.0, given they're meant to reenact the End of Days they could even be there to commune with the voice that caused the fall of Amaurot. At the very least I'd be very surprised if the threat caused by them is out of the way before 6.0, they've only just been introduced and 5.5 will be about the poo poo going down that leads into the next expansion.

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess the hard swerve in 4.55 just makes me think that they're going to throw another last minute curveball. Everything makes it seem super obvious that 6.0 is going to be Garlemald, therefore it is definitely not going to be Garlemald :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the fact that he saw the summoning of the 12 to rebind bahamut as a sign of weakness is kind of hilarious because the empire were the ones who unleashed bahamut in the first place.

To be fair, if Cid's dad was tempered, who knows how many people working on that project were too. Bahamut had spies working on the inside before he was even freed from the moon!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fister Roboto posted:

They gave warriors hammers. I know that's not what you mean, but they could easily give us a wider variety of weapon types that are functionally the same but graphically different.

I mean, they've kind of done that with books. Some of them fold out or have candles on them or spinning gyroscopes or whatever. It would be fun if there was one that was just a straight-up big Allagan tomestone though. The equivalent of a tablet to the usual smart-phone-shaped ones.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Valentin posted:

I'm new to the game (just got to the forest in HW, leveling SCH/SMN and RDM, and have just started dipping into GNB), and I have a DPS question. I find SMN's rotation intimidating and I've only just started incorporating trance, and looking ahead to 80 the timer management and weaving seems to have an even sharper curve than 1-60. RDM, on the other hand, feels pretty boring and the stuff from here to 80 looks like it doesn't meaningfully change the rotation aside from extending the rapier combo slightly and adding a new spender ability. For comparison, healing as SCH seems like the right level of engagement for me, and GNB's rotation is fun to me, I just don't understand tanking mechanics. Is there a happy DPS medium I'm missing, preferably in the classes that start at higher levels? Alternately, is summoner not as imposing as it seems?

e: I recognize that this stuff doesn't really matter unless I plan on eventually getting into top-end stuff and actual progression, but I like knowing that I hit the buttons in the optimal order and had fun doing it.

Non-caster DPS tend to have an easier time figuring out the optimal combo. Even stuff like samurai that has a lot of different buttons you could be hitting at any time (at least, once you get kenki in the 60s).

My personal favorite is dancer. The basic rotation is extremely simple, but you still have to watch for procs on combo extenders and for the timer on your dance. You get to be extremely mobile at all times, it's honestly hard to go back to not having the instant 10-yalm zip after playing it for a while. If that's a bit too laid-back, check out machinist, which has more meters and OCDs to manage.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That's chart is bullshit, superbolide almost never helps you AVOID death :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kerrzhe posted:

i just did the level 50 dark knight quest and i really just want to give my character a hug right now

I like how that series of quests is basically about asking "Aren't you tired of playing the hero and always being nice?" and the WoL's canonical answer is "no, I would like to continue being nice, actually."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Thundarr posted:

She doesn't want to be free she just wants to mope. (maybe she should get upset if you start running around her with Bahamut-egi out)

I really liked the bit where Ohl Deeh visits her in the HW allied best tribe questline.

Such a good kid :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unlucky7 posted:

So I finally got around to those Dark Knight quests. Up to lvl 45, and drat it if I am not invested. The whole Tyler Durden thing can be easily guessed if you know that twist, but Tyler Durden as Your Festering Resentment Towards Heroism In Spite Of Yourself? That is good poo poo.

The bad news is that I want to get to the lvl 50 quest, but I am fresh out of rested XP, the only dungeons are Dzemael Darkhold and Aurum Vale (Though, granted, the latter is not as terrible as the former), and quite frankly I am getting sick of doing rotation while popping off a darkness move whenever I have the MP for it. Does the DRK rotation get better?

It stays pretty boring, you just get more oGCDs with different resources as you gain levels. I was trying to level it a couple months ago, but ended up switching to warrior and enjoying that a lot more.

Turns out I am not tired of being nice, but I do want to go apeshit.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

hazardousmouse posted:

It weirds the gently caress out of me when I get all three comms on fuckin RDM

A couple weeks ago I did alliance roulette with some FC people, and it was seven of us and one rando bard. I hope those seven comms made his day.

But yeah, whenever I get comms as like a summoner I just assume the tank left too quickly :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't commend anyone who doesn't /laliho Giott in Heroes' Gauntlet.

drat, and here I've just been /pet-ing the amaro!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

All the healer talk reminds me that I wanna work on leveling a third job to 80 and was thinking doing either a caster or healer to get another role quest out of it. I've got six levels in both red mage and conjurer, but otherwise it's ground I've barely covered and haven't touched for at least a year. What's the favorite casters and healers?

I bounced off of RDM, it was just too boring. You never get anything that changes your basic rotation, just a couple extra buttons in it. It kinda feels like the worst of both worlds for a melee and caster class, because you have to deal with casting times restricting your movement and also need opportunities to get in close for your melee combo.

SMN takes a long time to get fun, but it is really fun once you get there. It's not as flashy and burst-y as BLM, but you do get to throw out plenty of giant pillars of white light. And, it's the most mobile caster class by far. You almost never have to hardcast spells after a certain point, and your DOTs and egi keep attacking even if you're forced to run around for mechanics. It's kind of tricky to wrap your head around, but it feels very rewarding to tap dance across all the different buttons for your opener or the transition into the demi-bahamut phase.

Healing, I don't know, I don't like healing, but AST has the coolest theme :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I might have the shittiest wishlist ever, but I wish they'd readdress ilvl sync for lower level raids. Instead of syncing a lvl 50 LotA to 130, would it be so bad to just be min ilvl +30? It would still be trivially easy, but far more interesting. Lota, Syrcus, and Void Ark would be a lot more fun if they lasted long enough to do anything in.

I played LotA and Syrcus back when you had to do the mechanics, and I don't miss them at all. Zombie Dragon was a nightmare if you had too many newbies, or tanks that didn't know where you were supposed to drag it. I think it's at just the right level now, it's a good introduction to raiding, with WoD being the wake-up call where you have to pay attention to some new mechanics.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Awesome! posted:

a couple months ago our dps was so bad i saw him go supernova which was pretty cool

also ive seen phlegethon's criss-cross attack once

I had a terrible group a few weeks back that wiped like three times to Scylla, somehow. But enough people dropped and got replaced by Glasya that we didn't get to see the platform-hopping mechanic.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Yo-kai event encouraged a lot of FATE completion

Also the second step of resistance weapons, at least in HW areas.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So I recently resubbed and logged in and decided not to play GNB anymore, so I opted to try out DRK. Obviously I'm relearning how this game works and what not and I'm doing deep dungeons/guildhests/roulettes to level and learn DRK. I left off just before the Tsukuyomi primal fight in the MSQ, how much more to go do I have before breaking into Shadowbringers?

Also is there a list of items I can safely throw away or something, I feel like I have too much junk.

You're pretty close to Shadowbringers, just a couple more dungeons and a bunch of chores before you're there.

For you inventory, you can just dump crafting materials, you tend to pick up a lot from fighting random mobs. Unless you have some huge stacks from purposefully grinding the past or gathering, it's not worth checking the MB, most stuff goes for a pittance. Old gear you can either sell or stuff in the glamour dresser.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That's just how the hair looks. It's a little distracting during cutscenes, but you'll never notice it during normal gameplay.

There's a mod you can get that has higher-res hair textures, but I haven't tried it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I keep running into dancers in roulettes that don't know that standard and technical finish do damage. They'll just pop them whenever, running between packs or on the opposite side of the arena from the boss.

The game really doesn't tell you that they do, though, so it's hard to blame them. You have to look at the tooltip for finish, specifically, which you're not likely to do, since it only shows up while you're in the middle of the dance.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

HenryEx posted:

Hell, back in ARR and even HW still, there was a decent chance you'd zone into a level cap roulette and see a GLD or a THM in your party

or "no job stone" PFs

Ahh yeah, back when you had to level two classes to 30 to get a job, so people would just... not do it.

"Why is our DPS so slow? Oh we've got an arcanist and a pugilist in this level 50 dungeon...."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Frida Call Me posted:

Astrologian's my last healer, so naturally I bring them into Aurum Vale wearing trash gear since they're only 47. We get into the instance, kill a solo large frog, then line up on the left side. Dark Knight tank hits sprint, I hit sprint after him. I notice he's pulling three packs, including two of those goddamn flowers. The double flower pull is enough to bring an unsynced healer to their knees, but nope, we're getting two packs on top of it. Tank pulls all three groups into the boss arena and tucks in the left. I put an aspected benefic on him after he pulled the second group. I stop moving, cast essential dignity on him, hit lightspeed and spammed benefic II. Tank dies 8 seconds later and ragequits the party 1 second after that.

What was he expecting? I honestly couldn't squeeze out another ounce of healing. Maybe if he was a class that had decent mitigation abilities he could've lived, but dark knight pre-70? No loving way was he going to live unless our two dps were red mages also healing him(they weren't). We got a replacement dark knight tank instantly and finished the dungeon without issue. Did he just assume that everyone in the dungeon was synced down? I don't even think I could've healed that pull as a synced down white mage.

What's the penalty for dropping from a group 60 seconds after you join it? Is it just one of your 3 didn't ready up penalties per day?

ARR dungeons really bring out the worst in some tanks. They will just pull everything before every boss, even if gets them killed or you end up having to run back for mechanical reasons (Toto-Rak) because they're impatient and want to show off how tough they are.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know how any of these can be the worst dungeon when Copperbell and Toto Rak exist.

Copperbell is fine, just a little boring. Toto-Rak is absolute torture, it's a huge maze with boring enemies and copy-paste minibosses. That section at the end where you have to walk through muck that slows you down always feels like it goes on forever.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

rujasu posted:

Just finished 5.0 MSQ. It was good and I liked it. Maybe not as much as everyone else seems to though - I preferred Heavensward's story and Stormblood's setting. Parts were tedious or just like, a bit much. But there was also a lot I really liked about it.

Didn't care for Ryne at all. The other characters were generally pretty good, surprisingly so in some cases. And yeah, healer quest was pretty fantastic. Is there even a point to doing the job-specific quest at the end? Doesn't seem like you get an ability or anything from it.

You have to finish at least one for the MSQ, that part where you have to visit not-Gerolt in his underwater hideout. They also unlock the 5.0 relic gear from that same NPC.

Otherwise it's just for the story, and there's even more if you finish all of them!

e: Oh, the job quests, not the role quests. I think those are just for flavor, and they also give you an achievement and a title.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 25, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Thundarr posted:

The sam 80 job quest is best since it has That Roe From The Boat taking remedial lessons in "how to be a proper samurai" forever.

A lot of them are pretty good really.

Just the other day I noticed that you can find him training with some kids in Kugane after that :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

hazardousmouse posted:

Any tips for a brand new dancer? I assume the default hotbar is hot garbage and will need to total tear down and reconstruct?

You basically have two combos for AOE and single-target that work exactly the same. A one-two combo, where either one can proc a combo extender that deals more damage. You want the single-target buttons to be grouped together and easily accessible because they turn into the dance step buttons.

Standard finish, when you finish dancing, deals 1000 potency damage around you, so you want to use it when you're close to enemies if possible. That also means that using it when it's off cooldown should be a priority above everything else, even sword dance once you unlock it. This goes double for technical finish, which is 1500 potency!

Your AOEs are centered on you, so you're gonna have to stand near the tank in dungeon pulls. Be careful about standing in poo poo, and always remember that you have that 10-yalm teleport available at any time. It is such an incredibly useful tool for getting in and out to use your dances or AOEs, or just to get out of trouble. I always miss it when I'm playing other classes.

Always remember to pick a partner for closed position at the start of a duty. Once you use closed position, you don't have to worry about it again, it stays on even if both of you die.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

multijoe posted:

I think sometimes the writers just forget considering she has a workaround that makes her functionally not-blind 99% of the time anyway

Yeah, after it was revealed by Matoya, it doesn't get mentioned again until the bit in Shadowbringers where she thinks the WoL is a lightwarden. But then they have Ryne be the dedicated aether-reader for the WoL!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about Alphinaud

I assume he inherited a special book that lets him summon obsidian carbuncle, which allows him to pull his weight with the rest of the scions.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Countblanc posted:

alphinaud isn't really depicted as a fighting savant at any point, nor is he really thrown into situations where he's expected to be one. this is really true of almost all the scions though, they're all strong enough to hang out with the WoL without dragging us down, but really only Estinian approaches our actual power and skill afaik

Estinien and Thancred are the only ones really noted for their fighting prowess. And formerly Lyse, I suppose.

It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere when you hear about Thancred's post-teleportation adventures, where he beats a bunch of bears to death with his bare hands while buck naked, though. Like "oh I guess that guy is super tough? News to me."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I mean that's more evidence than my theory of chemist being added based on a one-off line from a kid in the 5.3 MSQs :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chillgamesh posted:

Speculation: Time Mage will work by having applying a debuff that only they benefit from that lasts for a single GCD, then having a bunch of spells with Spell-in-Waiting, and the trick will be to cast all your in such a way that they go off under the effect of the debuff

They'll probably have a few cooldowns that let them manipulate or get around the requirement so they don't get totally hosed by boss transitions or something

It's just gonna be a haste buff that works exactly like greased lightning did

That's why they took it out, they didn't want to double-up on the same gimmick :tinfoil:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

juggalo baby coffin posted:

given how a bunch of the previous class hints were extremely thin soup (merlwyb gunning down the sahaugin was meant to be a hint for a gun class that ended up being machinist, alisaie using an aether blade in one scene for red mage, etc) the stuff for time mage or chemist could very well be accurate.

it could also be not hints, but who can tell.

i'd like a garlean-style melee dps who can do some of the cool moves we've seen various boss type garleans do, but im guessing they'd probably consider that too close to either gunbreaker or machinist.

gunbreaker doesn't really have any gun, and machinist does weird anime jumps standing in place like star wars kid, so neither really fill the niche of 'cool magitek soldier' for me. gunbreaker is fun, but their powers dont seem to have anything to do with guns beyond the name and the cartridge meter.

I'm betting that gunbreakers will finally get that X-shaped projectile attack that every Garlean gunblade user has. Dark knight already has a line AOE, it could be like that. Making a whole nother class that's just "gunbreaker but DPS and with cultural appropriation" would be weird.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Another pet class would be cool, but I wish they'd give summoner another egi, or even just another egi glamour for ifrit or garuda.

In the first HW quest you try to get a Ramuh egi but it doesn't work for some reason, and then it never comes up again. Even different colors of carbuncle would be nice!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

juggalo baby coffin posted:

red mage theory: are red mages in this called red mages because (rdm story spoilers) the original red mages from mhach turned themselves into red-haired vampires using the blood of lilith?

i know red mage is a historical final fantasy class, but the jobs have their own origins in this setting and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else the red theme would come from.

I think they're red because their swords draw blood, whereas other mages just burn/freeze/bludgeon people. Traditionally, I think it's a chess thing? Like, white and black are the normal chess colors, but some sets have red instead of one or the other.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Failboattootoot posted:

Agreed, except a long rifle instead of a pistol.

Edit: The funny thing about this is that it would bring back gun users with a cast bar almost assuredly.

Cast animation where you're reloading a single-shot rifle would be p. cool.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gooby pls posted:

Wrapping up Heavensward and overall it was fantastic.

Was not expecting an entire Briardien set of quests and it was surprisingly some of my favorite story telling so far. The expurgators was an especially dark bit of lore.

Alexander was probably the most fun I’ve had with dungeons as well. Between the music and novel way of moving around it was a blast.

Felt like I was rushing through the ARR end game to move on to the next expansion, but it’s been quite fun letting the HW end game breath and exploring the transformation of Ishgard through different quests.

HW might still be my favorite part of the MSQ, I loved all the characters and the journey to meet Ratatoskr was really well realized. Love how you go on this long, epic voyage and then he's like "my brother is an rear end in a top hat, but so are humans, so gently caress off." I'm so glad they keep the Ishgard plot going in the background with the Restoration stuff and the Ehll Tou custom deliveries.

W/r/t the chemist speculation: I think you could have like potion mixing abilities that give you charges of your healing abilities. So you can prepare different things for different fights, and also work on the fly to make what you need, but it takes time. And have oGCD emergency heals, of course. Something like dances or mudras but with potion ingredients.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zomborgon posted:

I'd love to see the jobquest folks interact, too, there seems like a lot of fun potential there.

The best I can hope for, though, is some one-off capstone role quest at 90 or so when you have all the jobs within that role capped. No way are they going to mess around with tracking and varying for four jobs. Even the role quest continuation was surprising.

As for the next expac's role quests, as we assume will occur, I'm currently betting on the side-Scions being your contacts. Arenvald for tank role, for example.

Arenvald actually shows up in the level 80 summoner quest, weirdly enough.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It would be fun if bards worked more like LotRO bards, where they just play music for all their attacks and that deals damage somehow.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fullroundaction posted:

Absolutely not. I want to play with my friends (sooner than later) and I want to also enjoy the story and it's hard to reconcile those two things.

Well, you can do both. You can completely skip the story up to the latest expansion by buying these skips from the store, and then do it in new game+ at your leisure while you rush towards the endgame. You can also skip leveling a class, and those on sale right now!

e: Oh wait you only need this one skip actually, they stack.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zomborgon posted:

Dreadwyrm would be perfectly fine if it didn't end when you hit Deathflare.

Yeah, it really feels awkward. It's the only timer you have to watch like a hawk to get a move off RIGHT before it ends. Sometimes I hit it with 3 seconds left just to be safe, and it feels like a small failure. Just make deathflare itself have like a 30 second cooldown, it's not like you're gonna be doing back to back trances anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm not sure why that would help?

Rushing into Bahamut doesn't really get you anything, unless you're coordinating a burn phase or something. The cooldown for Phoenix trance/summon starts ticking when you activate DWT, not when you summon Bahamut. Why not take advantage of free casts with DWT while you can?