Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Illuminti posted:

There's a chance that might not be the case.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/should-schools-reopen-kids-role-pandemic-still-mystery

Given that the small kids in my family pass on whatever bug they've been within 20m of with an efficiency on par with simply injecting it directly into my body I would err on the side of caution. But it's some small hope for some optimism.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1257526692144222208

There's also this. It's only a small number of cases but we've seen the same thing in London too, and it sounds really loving nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

:lol: Groverhause reference?

donoteat01 is a goon, and I think the other two are (or are at least goon-adjacent). They did a special episode on Groverhaus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJU-Q9gw_sg

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lodin posted:

Good news, the massage parlour near me has opened up. While Norway has been pretty loosy goosey about what businesses can stay open I can't believe this is ok. Contemplating snitching to the cops.

I've noticed that massage providers are *always* on the list of "businesses that open up first" along with nail salons and hairdressers, I guess husbands have got to have somewhere to go while the missus is at the hairdressers.

(TBH if it's not just a brothel, traditional Thai massage probably *could* be done safely - it's normally done clothed, so the same precautions as a healthcare provider, hairdresser or manicurist would have to take would probably be fine - might lack a certain je ne sais quoi but robes, gloves, masks and proper washing should protect both therapist and patient)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1261013685641908232

:hmmyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

This is currently doing the rounds on social media in my neck of the woods, supposedly organised by the EDL.

Britain First, not the EDL - there's a lot of crossover but BF are attempting to do what the BNP did to/with the National Front in the 80s and make a move to being a lobbying group/political party rather than street fighters. Of course this makes them a lot more dangerous because they can weasel their way into the discourse in a way a bunch of football hooligans can't.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

There's a local (Central IL) doctor who's been doing antibody tests, and he said that only, like, 3% of them have come back positive.

Even 3% feels high to me outside of major cities. There's a big selection bias there, I'm assuming only people who think they might have had it are even bothering to go.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

boar guy posted:

i was thinking more like the 'stiff upper lip. keep calm and carry on' thing the brits did during the blitz

stoically weeping a single tear before getting back to it type of stuff

Looting and even robbing the dead were common in the Blitz, as was rampant black-marketeering. Also HERO OF THE NATION Winston Churchill only visited a bombed-out East End of London once before beating a hasty retreat in the face of a hostile crowd asking why the government hadn't built any shelters, weren't helping relocate people whose houses had been destroyed, and how he stayed so fat while everyone else was on the rations.

Also for all those who like to say it's "the wrong time" for protest - dockers, miners, munition factory workers, agricultural workers and even firemen all went on strike or took other kinds of industrial action at various times through the Blitz.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

if you think about it striking during the blitz is the perfect time to strike. what are they going to do, bring soldiers off the front line for strike breaking? bring in scabs? (sorry all the men are drafted!). nope, they need that ammo, so they will give the striking ammo factory workers whatever the hell they want

Churchill did actually try to send troops in to sort out striking miners when he was Home Secretary. Ironically the soldiers calmed stuff down by being considerably less lovely than the local police.

Unfortunately one thing they did do was use POW labour so we don't actually know how many people died at RAF Fauld or in any number of mining and industrial accidents in places that replaced strikers - or just people not willing to risk their lives - this way.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

the washington post posted this study, and everyone involved appears to have extrapolated exactly the wrong conclusion from it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/mask-test-duke-covid/2020/08/10/4f2bb888-db18-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

the study itself was designed to verify a cheap and fast mask testing method: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083/tab-pdf

the study barely does any analysis of the mask test results themselves, and is 99% about the tech. it implies a defect in the material of gaiters, which the WP picks up as the real issue, without either party understanding what the real issue is.

which is, in short:

masks that press against your lips fail to brake air flow. the expelled air has no way to go but forwards and is forced through.

Surely air is forced through all face masks, otherwise you'd die? I thought the actual problem was that lycra and similar materials, which these tend to be made from, is at a bad sweet spot in terms of weave size where it both forces you to breathe more heavily but doesn't actually slow the exhaled droplets much, so you're actually spreading your diseases further than you would with no mask at all?

I'll be a bit pissed off if this is actually the case (but would be interested to see results for ones that are doubled-over with an air gap between) because I've got a ton of them (they tend to give them away free at motorbike shows) that I've been using because they're more comfortable and *feel* more effective (in that there's a lot less noticeable escape from them than from the disposable masks), and I don't like the idea I've actually been making stuff worse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

right now all CEOs (expect for the insane ones) work from home

but students have to go to school

same difference, right? :(

in short: don't think of community masks as a filtration system, but as an airflow control system.

community masks do gently caress all to filter your air output, but they stop the air stream from going a cool 2 meters forward from your mouth and just create a cloud of turbulence around your head and cause stuff to drop quicker

you can test this super easy by taking a lighter, and blowing it out with a handkerchief wrapped tight around your lips, versus the handkerchief being held half an inch away from your lips (or like, trying to move a strip of paper by blowing against it)

Okay, I think I get you - a bit of quick experimenting with two of my neck tubes and a couple of masks I had lying about :

Old dust mask (the type that looks like a duck's bill) - blowing as hard as I can, could feel a bit of air movement about 30cms away (using the highly scientific wet finger method), but normal breathing wasn't really noticeable at all unless I was basically touching the fabric.

Single-layer neck tube - could feel air movement with just normal breathing at 15cms, blowing hard easily detectable at arm's length

Double-layer neck tube (also considerably thicker material): blowing hard detectable at about 10cms, normal breathing at a couple of cms. Also counter-intuitvely pulling it tighter improved matters, but I think that's because it was my nose and chin making a bigger gap over my mouth.

Thick lycra and carbon cycling mask (valved) - the valves have a cover over them that forces the air to turn 180 degrees - I could feel it easily at about 10cms but any further than that was my own shoulders so... maybe not as useless as I thought?

Disposable paper mask (the type with a load of folds in it) - basically undetectable, either breathing or blowing, further away than 5 cms. However two very noticeable "jets" of air out of the sides that stretched a good 20-30 cms if I sighed (actually blowing didn't seem to cause it, so probably just a matter of the shape of it changing with my face).

Winter balaclava (cotton/lycra with cotton panel over the mouth) - somehow worse than the neck tube, which is disappointing because I was looking for a reason to wear it.

I also attempted a reverse solvent test by breathing on my cat while chewing menthol chewing gum (which makes him pull a funny face) but he got bored and went to go fight a bit of dust after the second test so my results lack rigour, but I'll say the neck tube *did* seem to prevent face-pulling while the dust mask doesn't.

I've got a reusable cotton mask that's basically the same design as the paper one but without the folds kicking about somewhere, I'll try this test with that when I find it and I suppose just go back to having an uncomfortable nose and ears.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

that's a hella lot of good science, and i appreciate the cat involvement :3: some comments.

the dust mask thing is fascinating, what exact type was it? sounds like an ffp1 equivalent, which basically just catch dust bunnies.

the double neck tube tight result is probably related to the physical shape created, yeah.

for the paper masks some people recommend crossing over the rubber strips to create a better seal on the sides, but ultimately air will go somewhere.

and in case you didn't see, i made a little video above. :)

as for uncomfortable ears:

I saw the video after doing all my science, thanks.

The mask came with a sander I bought, it's got no identifying marks on it at all - the material feels sort of like polyester fleece (like the interior of a quilted jacket) but denser - of all the masks it leaves the biggest gap in front of the face and is the most comfortable to wear, but like you say it's designed to stop little bits of dust (and looks goofy as poo poo which is why I never wore it when I was sanding either - I've for a proper paint mask I use for that sort of thing which I didn't bother testing because I *know* the outlet valves are basically virus turbochargers).

I know that trick at the back of the head, but it won't work for me cos I've got a big old melon and I guess masks are designed for non-Elephant-Man types.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Every time I get labs done my vitamin D is really low. They had me take a once weekly 50,000 unit capsule for a while. Now I take maybe 5,000 units a day on my own. I'm not sure when my next labs will be but I'm hoping it's actually normal for once.

Funnily enough, just before all this started, I was chatting to a doctor who mentioned (in the grey and gloomy British Isles) that a lot of BAME people have Vitamin D deficiency and they were going to start more aggressively testing for and treating it.

I don't know if any serious investigation has been done as to whether this is the reason behind the much higher death rates among BAME people, even adjusted for the usual social and economic factors, but that conversation came to mind as soon as the deaths started mounting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

The most shocking thing about this to me is learning that Right Said Fred is a duo and not just one guy.

FWIW they're named after a 1960s comedy single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7zkVr-xSd8

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oxygen concentrators are bulky things, even Trump's weird suits couldn't conceal them, and there's no way that thin little line (probably just a hair) is oxygen tubing. This is just liberal Qanon stuff.

e: For reference the smallest commercially available one is the size of two hardback books.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 3, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They make tiny, portable emergency oxygen bottles, guys.

It's not like you have to wheel around a little cart with a 3 foot tank on it. Little tanks like that can last 15-30 minutes.

It's like we've forgotten the lessons of all the Everest threads over the years.

That's even bulkier and heavier than the thing I posted. Unless they've cracked James Bond technology and can package a usable amount of oxygen and a regulator into something the size of a nitrous canister, the very smallest oxygen cylinders are still around the size and weight of a household fire extinguisher - i.e. something you could only hide under a muumuu without it being blatantly obvious, certainly not a suit already full of Trump.

(Source - being oxygen-supply-wrangler for my mother in the two years she needed supplemental oxygen)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's the thing I posted!

Like I say, that's probably about as small as something can be to give a usable amount of oxygen, and it's gonna cause more than a slight crease in a pocket.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

That's doesn't look the size of a fire extinguisher though, looks more like a Sodastream bottle size.

*Household* fire extinguisher, so about 20cms tall by 10 wide. A Sodastream bottle (which is at much, much lower pressure than an oxygen tank) is still around that size and still something that you can't easily conceal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

It only needed to provide enough oxygen for like two minutes, though.

That's not how it works. Because oxygen liquifies at pressure, there's a very hard limit caused by the diminishing returns of how much of the tank has to be thermal insulation and safety factor for the cylinder walls. Like think how quickly a can of air duster gets too cold to touch despite flowing at a much lower rate.

I mean theoretically it's not *impossible* to make a cylinder that only holds 10 or 12 litres of oxygen but nobody's ever bothered before because literally the only use for it would be this, and I bet it'd still be the size of a drinks can and weigh at least a kilo, so again, even if the special CIA psyops labs whipped something up so he could walk across the lawn (as opposed to, say, just getting in the limo) it'd *still* be noticeable under his clothes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fenarisk posted:

That is absolutely an oxygen tank and nasal cannula. That's a pretty standard size for a portable modern one when you need less than 3L. We use the same ones when walking ortho patients post surgery and they weigh like 2 pounds tops with a shoulder strap which we usually have on as the therapist or we sling it on the walker.

They need to be refilled several times a day though.

Edit: its like this

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-inogen-one-g3-portable-oxygen-concentrator-system.html

but ours are smaller since they only accommodate .25 to 3.0 liters at a time.

https://twitter.com/ImplausibleGrrl/status/1312318326807367681

That's not a very well-fitted cannula mate.

e: Also you were talking about oxygen cylinders then posted a concentrator.

And the concentrator you posted is *huge* - well okay not huge but considerably bigger than the one already discussed. Like considerably larger than the outside pocket even on Trump's clownsuits.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 3, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trump could have saved more lives than Jonas Salk (and make a nice fat profit) if he'd just started wearing and selling MAGA face masks in March.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Plastik posted:

I agree, the canary dropped dead of complications from chemo and there is no reason for anyone to be worried whatsoever at all and we should all just march right back into the mine.

Sometimes a dead canary just died. An 82-year-old, massively immunocompromised person being the first confirmed death from reinfection out of 38 million confirmed infections maybe shouldn't be your cue to dig out the Exit Bag.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

AutismVaccine posted:

2020 is really an indoor hobby killer, sigh.

The 3D printers (plural) and big box of printer accessories and supplies that are piling up next to my desk suggest otherwise.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

This guy sees his opportunity to get on the telly and maybe get a cushy govt post by saying that it's all magically over. The stats they're reporting say that 30-40% of respondants have antibodies which isn't anywhere close to herd immunity, it just means that testing was massively inadequate. Also they admit that a poorly implemented lockdown forced people to stay indoors or queue for food which increased the spread. Papers just want to give people the stories they want to read, and this doctor knows the keywords they're looking for.

I mean seriously: "the only way to explain it, the only plausible way to explain it is..." Give it a month or two at least mate before you rule out literally every other possibility.

This too

Another way to explain it is it's loving spring coming into summer in the southern hemisphere and respiratory diseases always go down when the weather gets warmer and people spend less time indoors.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

When I looked at the BBC news site earlier they had the main headline of "Glimmer of Hope" about covid. When I just opened it, that headline has now been replaced with "covid spreading faster than worst-case scenario". Ehh, close enough, right?

:ohdear:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

Do people here who actually have more knowledge about this stuff know, how similar are other vaccines being developed to this one?

As if others work in a similar way that would mean that they would also be more likely to have similar very good effectiveness results right? If there is a whole bunch of similarly effective vaccines coming out of trial that would really help with production.

AIUI, the Pfizer one is pretty unique and is the recombinant technique they've tried for previous pandemics because it can be spun up and manufactured relatively quickly, but previously it's fizzled.

e: To clarify it can be spun up and manufactured quickly because *in theory* it has a very low chance of common vaccine side-effects because it doesn't use viral material at all, only a very small chunk of the DNA, meaning it can pass clinical trials quickly - the actual manufacturing is considerably more complex than traditional vaccines.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 9, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

Aww. Well hopefully the other vaccinations also find similar effectiveness anyway.

As others have pointed out the stringent refrigeration needed meant it was unlikely to be a goer for a worldwide, or even western-world-wide, mass programme, but being able to get it to healthcare workers and the most at-risk should hopefully chop death rates massively while the others are bought on-stream.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Performative social distancing amirite

There does seem to be a theme - and I'm not applying this to anyone in particular ITT, just people in general - that social distancing is in fact a penance we are paying to appease the Corona God, rather than a precaution against a disease.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

Nah. It takes a lot longer than just a 2 week cycle. The thing spreads through families inside homes, so it's not just one cycle of the virus but up to several. Melbourne estimated 3 cycles - 6 weeks - but took about 4 months all told to get the thing back under control. Home spread was a large part of cases. Indeed, government housing with shared laundry/kitchen/etc. facilities was the cause of major clusters that the govt wrestled with for a long time to pull under control.

You've also - unless the entire population are preppers and have a month's worth of supplies on hand - got to have *lots* of people who aren't in quarantine, and are in fact visiting every single household in the country to distribute food, fuel, bog roll and the like. Obviously good hygiene practices mean that they're hopefully a very minor vector, but this weird article of faith that some people have that we could solve the problem *once it had reached epidemic levels* by just locking down hard enough for two weeks is completely wrong.

All lockdowns do is slow things down - they're a tool for buying time until you have your actual infection-control measures in place. The fact that so many countries are going into a second lockdown is a failure of governments to implement those infection-control measures effectively, not a punishment for our sins (well maybe our sin of electing successive neoliberal lunatics, but not our sin of occasionally going out for a walk)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

stump collector posted:

im thinking we'll be lucky to stay below 10 million

That would be way high even if 100% of your people got infected - that would be a case fatality rate of 3.28% compared to the ~2% we're seeing (with the real rate being much lower because we're still definitely not detecting anything close to 100% of cases).

Mind you if you factor in other deaths caused by health system overload then it wouldn't be surprising to see it going past the 1.5-2 million deaths you get if you scale up the 1918 flu pandemic to the modern US population.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SamuelAAdams/status/1328464602510872577

Oof.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Tim Walton, a Buffalo bartender and event promoter

How do I know what this man looks like down to the shoes, *and smells like*, just by that six-word description?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/UniofOxford/status/1330769567409385474

Another day, another vaccine. Except this one is only 70% effective (although they claim 90% effectiveness with two doses, the first half strength, but this is on a much, much smaller sample so I'm hugely suspicious). The BBC are making a huge noise about this this morning, presumably because it's much cheaper than the Pfizer and Modena ones so the UK is getting it no matter what.

e: This is also the vaccine with two neurological adverse events, IIRC, so that's fun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The ninety‐five percent effectiveness of the others is also after two doses, so that’s apples to apples.

The other ones, as far as I know, were on two doses from the start - the two doses test was only a very small proportion of the tests for this one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just as a matter of interest, what happens if you get the covid vaccine and have already had the actual disease? I'm just thinking about asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic cases and worrying if there's likely to be any problems there.

It's in my mind because I remember having to skip the BCG at school because of (presumably) a previous, silent TB infection (thanks 70s/80s east end of London!) and I know they test for that exact reason, because the chances of a massive reaction if you already have antibodies. However I also know the BCG is fairly unique in that respect, which is why they test - is it just something up with that particular vaccine that they can safely discount for all of the covid vaccines?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spazzle posted:

I'm curious to what degree covid-19 is any worse than the other corona viruses circulating throughout the human population. I guess I'm wondering if it was a disease we all caught as kids a few times when it has minimal effects (giving some level of immunity) if we'd just see it as just another cold. Is it actually worse as a virus (compared to other corona viruses), or is the problem that the human population is just unexposed to it.

That's a theory that's come up a few times, mostly to explain the *apparent* difference in hospitalisations and deaths between first and second waves even when you account for increased testing. Unfortunately there's no real evidence to back it up - the difference seems to be accounted for by better precautions changing the demographic of infected people (and the grim fact that in most countries it's already ripped through care homes and other populations of vulnerable people) and better treatments meaning what we were actually seeing was an increased lag between infections rising and deaths rising.

It's also one that doesn't really have a parallel anywhere else in virology (at least as far as I know, I'm no more an expert on this than anyone else locked in their house with access to Wikipedia) - we're all exposed to flu viruses all the time and it doesn't seem to help when the occasional much deadlier than usual strain comes along, for example.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is more of a philosophical question than a practical one (for me at least, I've welcomed lockdown as a chance to grow out my hair) but a thought popped into my head when I saw a row of closed hairdressers and beauty salons and I can't really work out if there's actually an answer.

When the English national lockdown ends on 2nd December, when would be the optimal time to use any of the shops or services that have been locked down for a month? My initial thought is "Early as possible on the very first day" because that minimises the chances that the person serving me is infected and contagious, but also this is the point where they're going to be busiest, maximising the chance that I'll encounter another customer or person on the street who's infected, even if the shop properly enforces social distancing.

Then I thought a week later would be safest because the shops will be quieter, but that's entirely reliant on the staff member (who's normally self-employed and so doesn't get sick pay) properly isolating if they've been infected (and of course ignores the chances of them being asymptomatic)

*Then* I thought a month later, because the chances are then that - if their workplace is risky enough that they have a significant chance of being infected - they'll be immune, but at that point we're likely to be in runaway community transmission because of Christmas, which makes it the riskiest possible time to leave the house at all (and there's also a load of thoughts then about the possible ramifications of Brexit, which is it's own whole additional catastrofuck).

Like I say, this is just a theoretical question for me because I'm happy enough with my hermetic existence, but there are plenty of people who feel like they *need* a haircut, or a manicure, or any of the other things denied during lockdown, and it's an interesting thought experiment for these plague times.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chikimiki posted:

Any news on whether the vaccines prevent spreading, or do they only protect the vaccinated person?

AIUI both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines *claim* to generate neutralising antibodies, which means that transmission will be massively decreased (some spread from the initial lung infection will still happen, but it's orders of magnitude less than a full infection), probably to the point where transmission will be extremely unlikely.

(Source was some Twitter thread that I can't find now so take that for what it is)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like we're back to 9/11 a day: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55170329 :toot:

In my local news, they lifted a ton of restrictions today. Gyms, swimming pools, retail, everything is open again. Masks are required but I don't see this being enough when everyone crams into pubs and restaurants again. Really dumb IMO when it could've been suppressed further to let everyone actually enjoy Christmas, but instead I suspect the numbers would be back to scary heights by then.

The UK's lifting of restrictions on the 2nd is *definitely* about rescuing the retail sector. Multiple large retail chains have gone under this year (albeit mostly because of the usual private equity fun and games that were killing the sector even before the pandemic) and no Christmas shopping would have definitely killed off a huge amount of the high street, maybe even the majority. Now obviously the Tories don't give a poo poo about most of these, but they *do* care about the almighty collapse in commercial property prices that this would cause. Equally obviously they can't be expected to actually help with some kind of bailout, it's not like these are real people like bankers, so instead we're literally sacrificing lives to Mammon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

commercial property collapse is prolly gonna still happen. you play that game levered to your fuckin eyeballs so it's up the stairs and down out the window

Grover's designing shops now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

I dunno how you ship fifty million liters of vaccine out of that facility, but it's a start

Because I can't stop myself working this sort of thing out...

Not sure where you get 50,000,000 litres of vaccine for 5 billion doses, that's 100ml a dose which would be a worryingly big syringe. I've no idea what the actual volume would be but I've never seen a vaccine bigger than about 5ml, although maybe they haven't cracked the miniaturisation on the mind control nanobots.

Anyway, assuming it is 100ml a dose, and it's shipped out in individual doses. Let's give a bit of room for packaging and to keep the numbers simple call it 4x4x10cms:

You can fit 750 doses in a single layer on a single 1000x1200mm pallet, assuming you only stack to one metre high that's 7,500 doses per pallet. You can fit 8 of these pallets in a TEU refrigerated container (obviously the internal size is rather smaller than a standard one to allow room for the refrigeration plant and insulation) So in a single container that can be pulled by just about any lorry you can fit 60.000 doses, or 83,334 lorries - basically 230 a day - to ship out 5 billion doses a year. That's a lot of movements, but big logistics hubs are shifting more than that fairly easily. In fact I'm fairly sure there are individual factories moving that amount.

Assuming that it's actually only 5ml a dose and those 4x4x10 boxes contain 20 doses, which sounds a bit more reasonable, then that's only 15 lorries a day, and I'm certain there are food packing plants moving more refrigerated product than that each day, and they'll almost certainly work out more efficient ways of packing and shipping them.

(Someone double-check those numbers for me please because zeroes are tricky buggers)