Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Mmhmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

In the meantime y'all should check out the Parks and Rec special that just released yesterday, because it is delightful.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

##vote Ninth

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Varinn posted:

║▌║▌║█│▌

If you scan this with a barcode reader it says "SCUM," FYI.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

For the record, I'm 1/10 and I appreciate Jose's honesty in putting himself in 11th place.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Friendly reminder that there is a player literally named "The Ninth Layer" just laughing at us.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Varinn posted:

but trying to distance yourself from it? nah

Amni probably saw Steak say something mildly awkward and thought, "If I get a hit here, it'll be the next big mafia instagram moment and we'll all laugh and I'll be very popular."

But then he missed like a doofus, and probably had to play off the fact that he's kind of embarrassed by it. Just a...yes, a joke! I meant to do that all along, guys.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Truly, Amni's greatest sin is murdering the jokephase.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

It's almost reason enough for me to want to vote Amni. But I want more before I vote.

Guys, I'd like to join this weak vote, but want to appear thoughtful about it before I do. Somebody please give me permission to do so, using graphs and charts where available.

Varinn posted:

Immediately busting your poo poo out and then backpedaling into "haha it was a joke, i'm like a ghost or a dog and just sort of do things randomly. im harmless!" is definitely a good way to play the game.

Unfortunately, it's not a good way to play if you're innocent of crimes. ##vote Amnistar

Oh, okay. That'll work.

Next post:

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I'm voting you because you didnt include a cool send off line when shooting him, you should have been all "It looks like this Steak just got sent back to the kitchen" ##vote Amnistar

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

Shouldn’t my vote be on Liger?

Bold text, like so:

##vote LIGER

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

jivjov posted:

I'm really getting the feeling that being new to this game, and all of you, is gonna be a massive disadvantage haha.

This video should serve as a good primer and answer most of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Philadelphia the city so dumb their claim to fame is a bell so poorly made that when the British showed up and they ran away they dragged the bell with them not because they liked it but because they were scared the British would see their crappy bell and melt it down for bullets.

The votes on Liger are votes of opportunity ironically disguised as votes because of a vote of opportunity, which it was clear it was not. I get a townie vibe from Liger.

Now let's get some votes of opportunity on the Liger voters of opportunity who didn't like the Amni votes of opportunity.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

This is a manufactured reason not to vote for me that they made up...and it completely contradicts everything I've said so far about why I did shoot steak. almost as if zzyzx knows I'm not scum, and needs to create a reason not to vote for me.

Of course it contradicts what you've said so far; I think it's a made-up reason. If Steak had flipped scum, you absolutely would not have followed up with, "I just did it because it was funny, I didn't have any scum read on him." (You'd be getting familiar with the smug emojis instead.) That only came after yuming voted you.

Varinn asks why a townie would try to make excuses like that, and the answer is that they know they did something dumb.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

Ignoring the hypothetical of how I would act if steak was scum, I don't beleive your thought process here is genuine. You think that I'm lying about why I shot, and that the reason I'm lying is because I'm embarrassed that I was wrong about steak being scum?

I rather think you wanted to not vote me, but didn't want to seem like a bandwagon vote so created a reason to not vote me that was original.

I think that you're town, because day-vigs (and certainly day-vigs who shoot other townies on d1) usually are. I also think backpedaling into, "that's what I meant to do all along" after you get called out is an understandable reaction.

That said, if you get a hit on Steak, we all congratulate you while you explain what a great gut read it was; if you miss, we get to make fun of you. You're not upholding your end of the social contract here.

(And you followed it up with a vote on me, so you're batting zero so far. Do better.)

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

You kind of made it so he won't do it now because casing him immediately after and accusing him of doing this doesn't ring true. It's projection. He shot, he was wrong, really not much else you can do as a vig except go "welp, I hosed up!"

Like, in theory, if this exact scenario happened I agree that the vig should be looked at, but now it gives room for Amni to be like "hey, I didn't coast after my vig and played like this this and this" because you called him out for something he hasn't even been able to do and now he's very aware.

I've read this a few times and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The vig should be looked at if he coasts and doesn't do much else. However, by voting for Amni, Varinn has made Amni aware of this, and it gives Amni "room" to participate in future game days and claim that he's not coasting. I think you're criticizing Varinn's case for this.

Wouldn't we all expect Amni to do that anyway?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

zzyzx posted:

I've read this a few times and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The vig should be looked at if he coasts and doesn't do much else. However, by voting for Amni, Varinn has made Amni aware of this, and it gives Amni "room" to participate in future game days and claim that he's not coasting. I think you're criticizing Varinn's case for this.

Wouldn't we all expect Amni to do that anyway?

If you want to criticize Varinn's case for being premature, I get that. Varinn doesn't want Amni to coast into the sunset off of one shot; great, then Varinn should case him for that later, if it looks like that's what Amni is actually doing.

I just don't see the "now you've made him aware that he has to participate, and he has room to do it because you voted for him" bit.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Token Female posted:

It was a THIRD VOTE!

The fact that it was a THIRD VOTE isn't necessarily the point. Assuming for the sake of argument that it's a joke, queuing up your joke vote with "I'd join this but I want to see more evidence first" is weird. And then waiting until other people have made serious votes and plonking down your joke vote right after is also weird.

Take this post from Voodoo:

Voodoofly posted:

On an unrelated note, I’m now fine voting amni day 1 just so I don’t have to see that avatar anymore.

I think that's fine on its own. But imagine if he put "But I want to see more before I vote." at the end of it, and then I made a long case where I vote Amni after changing my mind and definitively proving that he's scum, and then Voodoo immediately signs on once I'm done. We'd yell at him for that. (I certainly would.)

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

As someone who voted Liger because I completely missed that Liger was making a joke about Amni's avatar, wanted to see if you still are holding to this rationale for your vote on Liger or if there is anything else you have right now for voting him.

I still think it's a decent vote, as day one votes go.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

So basically you are indifferent to whether it's a joke or not?

That's certainly the narrative now that he's been called on it, but I don't think it's obvious that it was at the time. Regardless, the sequence of it sounds off in my head.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

By now merk has normally started yelling and screaming until he gets his way, but so far it's just a couple of crappy drive-by votes where merk says "fake" and runs off.

merk posted:

I won a Voodoofly Wifoa big game after Dhaes, my scum buddy, shot a person on day 1. I bussed him immediately and rode that to a win. A scum dayvig blowing someone away day 1 is definitely legitimate. That said, a scum dayvig shooting Steak, a usual town negative, is not that realistic.

My issue with the little stuff I’ve read is people discounting a scum day vig shooting d1 generally without mining into the context of who he shot at all. KK, in particular, has the fakest read. ##vote KK

merk posted:

I'm down with this. The Amnistar vig is probably the best thing to find fake content so far today, and this zzyzx thing is probably the best fake content to find.

##vote zzyzx

Would also vote KK.

Interesting note about the first one: the game merk refers to is WIFOA IV, which doesn't show up in the votefinder tally because it's too old. Like merk says, it's an example (albeit an old one) of a scum using a day-vig early on. Two problems with this:

1) WIFOA is a fundamentally different setup in which players choose their roles at the outset, which gives the scum an opportunity at a day-vig. The argument here is that it's unlikely that a mod assigns a scum player a day-vig because it creates balance issues - saying "it happened in a WIFOA game" isn't a response to that.

2) merk goes on to argue that Amni is likely town because he shot Steak, a "usual town negative", and scum probably wouldn't do that. In the same game he quoted that's exactly what his teammate did - Dhaes shot winvirus, who (if I recall right) might charitably be described as a usual town negative.

I think merk, as town, is detail-oriented enough to consider both of these things before posting (or, if he's too busy, to wait until he has time before doing it). Would vote.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

kumba posted:

merk also said he was unavailable over the weekend

OFFICER LIGER posted:

merk said earlier he wasnt going to be available for a couple of days which is why he hasnt been posting.

Right, and if it was just a matter of not posting, I wouldn't care. The fact that he posts a couple of drive-by's propped up on popsicle sticks and glue just to be seen is worth fingering him with suspicion.

:heysexy:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

##vote Varinn

Would also vote MiR, yuming, or anybody else who tried to make something big out of the vig shot being a "scum power/thing". Scum usually need something to sink their teeth into content wise on D1 and that was a perfect opportunity to sow confusion. I'm willing to give Amni the benefit of the doubt until some other stuff happens, or.. hell... if his posting was too scummy to ignore, I wouldn't even factor in the vig as something that should be "points" for his town. But he just seems like every other D1 vig that hit or missed.

I think I agree with this one too. Varinn came out of the gate strong, voted Amni, criticized people for sitting on the sidelines, and then just kind of vanished into a puff of smoke.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

zzyzx posted:

I think I agree with this one too. Varinn came out of the gate strong, voted Amni, criticized people for sitting on the sidelines, and then just kind of vanished into a puff of smoke.

"Active" is probably a better word than "strong." The vote on Amni wasn't good.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Everyone quote this if you think the pet thing is dumb! Or if you think it is a good idea!

Either one really

I giggled.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

##petgive Jose because that post deserves it.

##petban Amni because he's probably going to shoot his pet.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

If you'd asked me prior to posting this, I would have said I wasn't sure if you were scum but it seemed like a good d1 vote. This case is bad enough that I feel better about that now.

LIGER posted:

this was after he piggybacked to vote me and tom tucker said he townread me/thought the votes on me were suspect. weirdly defensive when no votes are going lordnad/jivjovs/etc way yet.

This was the first post in the game that called any attention to your vote. It's not piggybacking off of anything, and I get to take all the credit if you flip scum. Tom's post was funny because he'd made a set of nesting dolls out of "voters of opportunity" that could be continued indefinitely, so I made fun of that.

LIGER posted:

he still is trying to paint amnis action as scummy, and is putting words in his mouth. what if steak flips scum and amni still says it was for a laff? thats exactly how i would have gone with it (and i absolutely would have popped off first chance day one, don't ever give me vig powers)

continuing to push on amni. hes not voting there though, is it because he doesnt see a path there? the do better line bothers me.

I've been pretty clear about saying I thought Amni was town. If town, he's also not a very good day-vig, because you're supposed to point the gun at the bad guys. Nothing very complicated about it.

LIGER posted:

i dont even know whats going on in this post, khris kruel please do not share your edibles midmafia.

I told DBD his logic in criticizing Varinn's case sounded off, and he responded to that later. Pasting a quote of mine, saying you don't know what's going on, and then stopping isn't an argument, or a read, or an opinion, or anything useful. It's a non-entity that's clearly thrown in there for the purpose of making your post look longer.

LIGER posted:

he's still on this one

hes saying tht my posts are retroactively jokes, as opposed to being jokes when they were first posted?

i think we have something here.

Your posts were scummy and I doubt you made them expecting to get called on it as quickly as you did, which I'm sure changed the trajectory of peoples' reactions and your defenses. I've thought they were scummy pretty consistently. I'm either right about that, or I'm not.

LIGER posted:

also weird shots at merk trying to cast doubt on his credibility (due to...inactivity? omgus? i dont know.)

merk's votes sucked for reasons stated, and he's a good pick for scum. If you want to actually engage the argument about why they sucked, go for it.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

merk posted:

Talking generally about whether a scum dayvig might exist in a game us content scum would make. Analyzing why a person took an action with a role and looking at that intent is how town would play.

There’s the difference and what I focused on.

Who the day-vig shoots makes no difference beyond their alignment and whether they had a power role or not.

Assuming that your distinction is the correct one, sure, maybe we could find an example of a player analyzing an individual and why they might have re/acted a particular way.

a very smart, handsome townie posted:

Amni probably saw Steak say something mildly awkward and thought, "If I get a hit here, it'll be the next big mafia instagram moment and we'll all laugh and I'll be very popular."

But then he missed like a doofus, and probably had to play off the fact that he's kind of embarrassed by it. Just a...yes, a joke! I meant to do that all along, guys.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

Still think it's wierd you think I lied about why I shot steak and that somehow makes me townie.

You make it sound like I think this is some horrible thing you did. I don't, really - most townies in that spot probably react similarly. Most townies who make mistakes generally, make excuses for those mistakes. I was happy to leave it at that, but then you went and voted for me too, like an over-eager beaver.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Token Female posted:

There's three years of games before votefinder was used. You should check those out too. Voodoo started playing in 2007.

(I don't see why people (CCKeane) would do this).

If CCK had come out of the gate with no prior conversation and "I looked at some of Voodoo's old games and he's saying something different today than he did then," that would be weird. Here, CCK is responding directly to Voodoo's defense, which was, "I've done this in every game I've played." I think Voodoo is allowed to exaggerate, or forget games, or change his style over time; but CCK looking into it is reasonable, and he gets points for effort.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Token Female posted:

My point is that I don't see how people would want to go through people's histories from that long ago,

With votefinder it's really not that hard. A couple of clicks away from a person's profile.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I don't buy the DBD case, and so far I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary with yuming.

LordNad's not my first choice, but I'd do that one to avoid a no-lynch.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Yeah, I looked over Lord Nad and it kind of feels like essentially a lurker execution.

I'm worried he's probably not going to be around prior to the deadline to answer anything.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

He posted just before I did earlier, never mind.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CCKeane posted:

THAT SAID, I'd probably go CapnAndy again.

The one thing that jumped out at me about Andy was that, if you put his posts in HP mafia side-by-side with his posts in this one and took the names off, I'd swear up and down they were written by different people. I normally try to avoid that kind of stuff, but the difference was so jarring even I noticed it.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CCKeane posted:

zzyzx, it's absolutely ridiculous to read past games to make a case, please be serious.

I know when to defer to the experts. Duly noted.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

To me, the problem with the kumba case is that I pretty much agree with him. LIGER looks scummy (kumba made a point of coming back to the thread late and pointing out where he would have hypothetically voted, which I appreciated), Varinn looked bad to me around the same time, the blue-cheese exchange wasn't particularly substantive one way or the other. He sounds like he's pinging off of the same things that I am.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

merk's a good pick too. I'd prefer him or LIGER, but I'll switch over at the deadline if needed.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

##vote LordNad

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Varinn posted:

idk why everyone's discounting SK w/ a daykill, which is eminently possible. but someone did make this case before you

How on Earth do you go straight from dayvig to "SK with a daykill," especially given Amni's flip?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

And yes, it's probably merk.

merk posted:

Ok, let's see what happens. ##vote LordNad

The count prior to this post is

LIGER - 5
Nad - 2 (Tom and Voodoo)
DBD - 2 (merk and yuming)

Then Ninth, Sandwolf, and LIGER pile on the 4, 5, and 6 votes for Nad, at which point merk does this:

merk posted:

##vote DBD

And then stays there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Assuming the Tokes story is true, I doubt anyone can vouch for the confirmed part.