Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A healthcare startup is trying to lure me away from my current position. They asked me in an interview how I would go about figuring out how many eggs would fit in a Honda Accord. My answer was "why would you ask me to waste my time doing that at a healthcare company?"

Lol what a bunch of idiots Google wants people to talk about this being a sphere packing problem but by making it eggs they increased the difficulty to a point where anyone with a good answer probably wouldn’t be interviewing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

The great majority of affluent Americans will never have that sort of experience in their life, or if they do they'll just keep trying to live their previous life while flipping credit cards and shrieking on TV about how Joe Biden took their kid's potato chips away. Public transit has gotten so bad here since 2002 that my experience had this happened to me in 2023 would be entirely different than it was then. There's no pathway to that kind of experience in most of the US anymore.

I did something similar and moved into a house. I still have good subway access and basically never use my car and even people in my neighborhood think it’s crazy that my car is basically new after owning it for years. They complain about the price of gas and I’m like “uh oh is it expensive now? huh?”

Most of them are boomers and about 30% CHUD and have lived here their whole lives. Between their cable, cell phones, and car habits some of them are dangerously broke. Which is hilarious when you hear that demographic poo poo talking young people on facebook.

They can’t imagine any lifestyle beyond driving all over the place and watching sitcoms all day.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Yeah man I come from bad places where you see the sausage being made, you’re denied opportunities that the majority takes for granted and are systematically prevented from even understanding your place in the world. When we’re all living in a Dickens novel schadenfreude will be the only thing that keeps me going.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

skooma512 posted:

But also make a reality show out of themselves going "CAW CAW! CAW CAW! WE'RE NOT GOING TO ISSUE NEW DEBT EVEN TO PAY INTEREST ON OLD DEBT gently caress ALL Y'ALL" and then do this basically every year.

The thing I like about this forum is that you can say something like that without a bunch of guys with 680 credit scores sharing folksy wisdom they gained from making payments on their f350 with their visa card.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

quote:

“OK, the Red Sea parted,” the transcript reads. “Big deal. Not the first time that happened.”

Giuliani doesn’t elaborate on other instances when the Red Sea was parted.

quote:

“Matt Damon is a FUN GUY,” Giuliani replies. “Matt Damon is also 5’2″, eyes are blue. Coochi-coochie-coochie-coo.”

He’s like a drunk you talk to because his nonsensical replies are actually pretty funny

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Fabricated posted:

This is cool and I wish them luck but this is throwing a spanner in the gears of a big machine that will absolutely try to crush them

What are they gonna do hire a bunch of scabs from “Asylum”?
Hire writers to make deep, thought provoking movies that don’t rely on visual effects?

Hollywood has coasted on these people for 15 years, the most surprising thing is that they’re somehow not already unionized.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

RokosCockatrice posted:

No, it's a downsizing strategy. Twitter fired 85% of its staff, its largest budget line item, with no effects ill enough to to drive away its addicted users. If it wasn't for Elon personally rubbing his rear end on every corner of the culture there, Twitter would be as strong a business or stronger than when he got it, with vastly lower costs.

Now every other tech company is looking hard at its engineering and product people, ready to trim very, very expensive fat.

Yeah but problems will start cropping up in the following months or years unless they have amazing documentation and onboarding for every service. I suspect they’re going to end up rewriting a bunch of stuff but their ability to attract guys as good as the ones they laid off won’t be there for it.

It feels like the kind of place that waves around agile philosophies about delivering software over documentation so.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Chilis, Chick-fil-a, hooters, applebees, and $1000 each on burger king and doughnuts.
Why in the loving world would anyone spend $1,500 on hooters delivery with no waitress involved?

I hope those other ones are amazing but this dude has poo poo taste and could probably eliminate half of that poo poo with an airfryer and some frozen food.

Edit: Ok everyone covered this and the extended list is absolutely loving lazy and shameful too. I looked at what was available in Clarksville and these is no excuse for this nonsense. I'm like actually sort of offended by this man's existence just by his diet.
Like holy moly eating a little over $100 a day the dude could make a few sandwiches or burritos at home, get an air fryer, or just have a few bowls of oatmeal and actually enjoy some high end dining on a fairly regular basis. Just imagine stealing someone's wages and spending it on this loving christ. Imagine getting fat for this food. I weep.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 12, 2023

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

quote:

Americans spend a lot on food. On average, U.S. households shell out $7,923 a year for food eaten at home and away from home. It’s the third-biggest expense after housing and transportation, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ 2018 Consumer Expenditure Survey

He spent over 3x what most households spend on food in a year getting delivery from lovely chain restaurants. He could have had wagu steak every weekend for a year until he was bored of it. How can you not feel ashamed posting that list of trash food?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

fart simpson posted:

maybe he had the chilis american wagyu* burger

This post is illegal. Under the CFAA you have intentionally caused damage to my electrochemical computer without authorization.

quote:

the term “computer” means an electronic, magnetic, optical, electrochemical, or other high speed data processing device performing logical, arithmetic, or storage functions, and includes any data storage facility or communications facility directly related to or operating in conjunction with such device, but such term does not include an automated typewriter or typesetter, a portable hand held calculator, or other similar device;

quote:

(A) knowingly causes the transmission of a program, information, code, or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally causes damage without authorization;

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

oh I forgot to mention on National day last Wednesday we went diving and some rear end in a top hat dipshit motherfucker piloting a yacht for some goddamn reason went between our boat and the shore nearly killing one of our divers who was just under the surface

the entire dive boat was screaming at him to stop but he just looked over at us and kept going

loving piece of poo poo

Boats are cool because nobody follows the rules and nothing happens over it because they’re for rich people.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

PokeJoe posted:

i used to have a coworker who said for fun he would go on to the 4chan guns board and get the clip magazine thing wrong on purpose. he was an army vet lol

I was in before that was a meme and even though we all knew the difference and our ammo came in clips out of the box we used clip and magazine pretty much interchangably unless we were specifically talking about actual clips. I remember when I got out and had barely touched the internet in 4 years and someone ackshully me for the first time about clips. I was also amazed how much people wanked over trigger discipline which isn’t even a hard habit to establish and I hardly heard anyone ever make a big deal about it. If all i knew about the military was from the internet you’d think people were lecturing each other about booger pickers on the bang button or whatever like every day but it wasn’t even a problem… people certianly made other weird mistakes with guns though.

I’m sure it’s different now because several generations of /k/ posters have imported that culture.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beeftweeter posted:

the turn to authoritarianism isn't really unexpected. as i said in the other post

So like I’m not following if you’re talking about poor conservatives or rich conservatives but it seems almost all social progress permitted in my lifetime had to have some economic benefit to entice rich people to sign off on it.

Anything gay: Being allowed to blatantly advertise to a dual income no children demographic without a politically empowered religious demographic making a stink about it.

Gender equality across professions: Broadening the talent supply to meet demand, lowering wages. Bonus: Women make less in the same jobs!

Immigration: Expansion of labor pools. Bonus: With people who have had to settle for less!

Workplace diversity: Diverse workplaces are less likely to unionize.

I have a feeling that I’ll be given unpleasant news but I can’t really think of any economic benefits to women’s suffrage, the 1969 civil rights act, or the sexual revolution.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

raminasi posted:

i remember his stupid conflation being revenue vs profit, but either way it was enraging watching obama treat the guy like he wasn't obviously a moron (whether because obama gave him the benefit of the doubt or because he couldn't condescend to a Small Business Owner while campaigning i'll never know, but it would suck either way

They cut Joe so much slack. He wasn’t and never was an actual licensed plumber or a small business owner. Turns out “just go into the trades!” is actually really hard to do and isn’t some shortcut to wealth without education.

I get Obama not personally tearing Joe down but the democrats should have made sure that information got around without me learning it from Wikipedia in like 2015.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

ShadowHawk posted:

Trump was even outwardly ambivalent about trans stuff in 2016, until it became clear it was a conservative wedge issue.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/trump-transgender-bathrooms-222257

Trump, and likely a lot of other politicians, are cynically riding this Republican-primary-voter public opinion wave of anti-trans stuff as much as they're reinforcing it

In 2016 popular conservative narrative was that it was all an elaborate scheme to get into the girls locker room and Trump had to respect that.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i mean...doesn't the us military have insane problems with sexual assault of soldiers...just...:wtc::psyduck:

They’re going to recruit a bunch of horny douchebags regardless. The really hosed up thing is she got suckered and she’s suckering other people in exchange for getting to do normal e-girl woman-child stuff all day.

Same for recruiters, they wanna go back to their home town and gently caress around at the mall all day and in exchange they run around the mall suckering kids out of that life.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Improbable Lobster posted:

israel is a repeat of how western governments treat indigenous people, they just got started a little later

I’ve read that hitler was inspired by what we did to the natives and times it seems like Israel is inspired by what happened to them.

Sometimes it seems as if China is inspired by what the west did to them.

The cultural exchange of awful ideas.

I’m getting into politics I don’t really understand with this post but just do me a solid and DM me with some context if this deserves a sixer.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Branch Nvidian posted:

Oklahoma governor kevin stitt is giving a “state of the state address” and bitching about how he’s not able to tax natives who live on the tribal reservations

Look at this guy with his cheap cigarettes sitting high and mighty on his collection of random car parts. You know he has a double wide and he doesn’t pay a cent in taxes?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Truman Peyote posted:

this feels related to the anti-homeless stuff you folks are always posting from the states: that the courthouse should be moved somewhere that, presumably, would remove the necessity for his lawyers to ever see a homeless person outside of a courtroom.

I lived in a city with this exact thing going on. There were a confluence of things feeding into the crisis but the one that nobody talked about was that lock up unceremoniously discharged people right onto the sidewalk across the street from a park used solely by homeless people… also adjacent to the courthouse.

People would get out, mill about the park for awhile and then commit assaults or other crimes and go back into lock up.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beavis approves.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Jonny 290 posted:

in 2002 i worked with this little white dude that was basically dale gribble and he said you cant get hired at the post office because they only hire disabled black single mothers

Exactly! This is why you never see any white male postal workers ever.
I get how people can get fash over FBI crime statistics and what they see on the evening news but I've always been mystified how fash media can roll out memes and talking points that directly contradict every day observations and people still buy it.

Or how these things have managed to pump out doom and gloom predictions about the future that never come to pass and never question if they should stop listening. When I was a kid I knew a bunch of kids from the local private school (no busing black kids!) were all taking Spanish because the AM radio was telling their parents we'd all be speaking Spanish by y2k and yet so many of them still took up their parent's ridiculous politics 20 years later.

No comprende.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/kdka-investigates-downtown-pittsburgh-developer-demands/

The Foxconn and Amazon boondoggles were such a success that businesses are openly telling state and local government that they expect bribes before they’ll build anything.

Local governments aren't doing enough for the rent seeking idle rich. After all the times the wealthy stood by Pittsburgh though thick and thin the past 100 years.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

crazypenguin posted:

my point is, you've heard poo poo like "words are just weapons" and "the cruelty is the point" right? So... why are you "mystified?" They do not "buy it", they see, clearly, with their eyes, that their words confuse and frustrate and anger you. They smile and do it some more.

Ahh the ole I'm only pretending to be stupid. No maybe the ringleaders are like that, maybe online trolls are like that (Sartre quote here) but these were often friends and I'd often have no way of refuting what they were saying except waiting.

and they'd be wrong but seem not to care. Eventually I became totally dismissive of any conservative talking points. I don't talk to those people anymore, just maybe look them up and see what they're up to.

But I can tell the people I dismiss these days get upset by it. "Snobby liberal", "This is why I voted for Trump" all that. Dropping the Sartre quote on them gets them foaming at the mouth.

No they're just loving stupid.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Jonny 290 posted:

my first was like idk 20-25 years ago where they started the top of the hour with ads for raytheon and boeing and archer daniels midland, but yeah also that poo poo.

I learned about the invisible hand from NPR as a teenager and the guy was able to present the entire libertarian version of the concept totally uncontested. It was wild when I learned what the invisible hand really means and even wilder when I learned about the various sponsors.

Practically every villain in history has a fund or foundation in your NPR commercial break.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Fabricated posted:

If was as easy as magical backdoors we wouldn't need spies

In Snowden's book he said basically that a lot of traditional spying has been replaced with magical backdoors. :(

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

akadajet posted:

the year of linux on the chinese government office desktop

I'm going to move to free and open source China where my privacy will finally be respected.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

he did all of that and more, such as sex trafficking apparently

Also blowing up Kid Cudi's car.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mr. Nice! posted:

the rusted stuff you're seeing there is damaged nonskid. it's a coating applied to the weatherdeck surfaces of ships. it's basically a thick spiky metal epoxy of sorts that will give you grip in any weather and destroy anything it comes in contact with like shoes or dropped cell phones.

you can paint nonskid to minimize rust by thinning paint and then applying it, but this reduces the actual grip of the nonskid and is not technically supposed to be done.

the deck itself isn't rusted, and neither is the hull of the ship visible on the superstructure. any ship from any nation that has spent 6+ months deployed is going to have rust in the nonskid on the deck and some rust in places all over because it's a big iron boat sitting in saltwater. the picture you posted is a ship that has been on deployment and has not had a yard availability to replace the non-skid. when they do go into a longer availability or a drydock, the nonskid will be replaced throughout the ship.

I'm a former BM and this is all very accurate. I can't see these imgur embeds but I will trll you the US will keep its' ships painted right up until we spend our very last dollar.

The paint is corporate welfare that drives GDP. Being a paint supplier for the Navy is like the US shitburg version of being landed nobility.

2nd the paint is applied by undesignated seamen and though it's frowned on to say so outloud keeping them busy and treating them like poo poo is a tradition that predates America.

When I was in we maintained surfaces 5 - 20x what was actually recommended by the manuals. There are spots of rust on ships that will spring up daily and they'll dangle some teenager out there with a coke bottle full of paint and a wad of cut up ropes wrapped in duct tape for a brush every single day if they have to. Hell I've seen guys blowing wet paint with a heat gun because it was too cold to dry and cure properly. They literally encourage wasting paint and supplies because it makes the right people rich.

Also Mr.Nice I don't know how you know about deckwashing but I got my eye on you fucker!

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Iran, Russia, and China are what we call antagonists and right now we're in what's called an exposition phase. Do you follow?
Well the united protagonists need to resolve their differences before we get to what's called the climax, this is the period where news coverage is at its highest.

Then hopefully we can execute what's called falling action. This is actually one of the most lucrative periods of a conflict, lots of government contracts, lots of eyes on cable news. After successfully executing a lucrative falling action we can arrive at a resolution and declare that America is bad as a motherfucker.

Basically the strategy that won us the gulf war... the first gulf war.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I stuck my finger into North Korea but didn't go any further because I heard bad things about the last guy who went in.
Went all the way inside Russia. It was about what you might expect.
Never been in Iran but they unironically seem cool. The people who talk to me might self select but they're usually very progressive and easy to get along with.
So gently caress Russia ❤️🇷🇺, Kill North Korea💀🇰🇵,Marry Iran 💍🇮🇷

Also since we're talking about North Korean animation. Everyone check out Squirrel and Hedgehog. It's genuinely good and they make Americans into badass wolves with a sexy fox commander! Like honestly when I watch it I'm quite flattered as an American. Naturally we don't win but only because that wily squirrel and hedgehog have no fear and would consider death on the battlefield to be the highest honor. How can we even compete?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzN84L1Rxxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0iWICaT78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdF5qhGFp30

Very long running, there are murals and signs for this show all over DPRK.
Since we're talking about distribution, yes it was licensed for dist to an Italian studio and for whatever reason DPRK has gotten along with italy at various times.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
The US has every reason to ban tiktok the only reason it's odd is because they've had the same reasons to cut off a ton of other Chinese companies and they didn't do anything until teenagers were having fun.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

fart simpson posted:

what would you tell a palestinian american in michigan? who should they vote for?

Someone who can beat trump. Just lol at your entire family if you're not voting on that single issue.
Who has a passport full of visas and knows how to fish? This guy right here so u do u.

Edit: Wow there are a bunch of protest voters here. I guess we really are getting Trump...I'd better start trimming my budget and rebalancing my portfolio for that simple life.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 29, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beeftweeter posted:

besides, i already debased myself and voted for hillary clinton. never doing that again, look how it turned out

Yeah it turned out like poo poo because she was an entitled reptile who made it easy to get voters to stay home. Look how that turned out.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I need to speak the language of my generation:
So the election is like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the arcade game (not the NES version the real one). You're fighting loving the GOP and Mitch McConnel is Shredder and you finally beat him but now you're on Krang who showed up from some TV dimension and just loving took over the foot clan just like Trump did to the GOP.

We got all four players playing and we're running out of quarters and Krang is flashing red like nonstop and your bitch rear end is going to play skeeball because they have knock off tickle me elmos.

Dude you're too loving old for tickle me elmo thats why you didn't get one and the ones they sell are called "crazy red guy" it's bullshit but you want a loving tickle me elmo and won't listen to reason.

loving krang dude we've spent like $20 on tokens you shithead. I can't believe my mom paid for free pizza and you ate it all and do this.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sagebrush posted:

If I were an IK I would put you on probation for that post.

And if I were you I'd have helped my friends defeat krang.

ADINSX posted:

Source you are quotes
PUTT-PUTT91

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 29, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beeftweeter posted:

ehh more like the election is like an election where you have two choices that will gently caress you, the country and the planet over in subtly different ways. not whatever this poo poo is

Welp ok I'll take my probe whenever the mods come by. I can't always be cumprinter level funny.

I don't think there will be much difference how they gently caress us over though. The democrats make concessions with ghouls in order to execute their agenda.

The Republicans are the ghouls.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beeftweeter posted:

neither have enough of a majority to implement an agenda, at least through congress. funding bills for overseas aid are about all we're going to get either way, despite our crumbling infrastructure, soaring healthcare costs and increasingly dire levels of inequality domestically, unless it's to break up chinese-owned companies or something similar

I think it's possible we'll get protections for abortion. We might continue to fund and supply Ukraine.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 29, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

fart simpson posted:

so youre happy to vote for genocide? thats pretty messed up

Now that I think about it I've voted for genocide presidents my whole life! I gotta face the facts. I must like genocide.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

why would you vote for someone if you dont morally agree with them lol

You already know that answer to that and people have already posted it. So why ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

AlbertFlasher posted:

looks like a deus ex npc

Like when collages were big in kids media.