Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

forkboy84 posted:

The only reason to use twitter is insulting the media class OP

Cute animal pics, pretty art, cool weird stuff.

Though if you mean posting on twitter yeah, true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but that means the government doing things, which is Maoism or something idk

They did have exactly that, grants, interest free loans, subsidized grid feed-in, there's a lot of the ex council houses around where I grew up that are covered with them, because contrary to the "ha ha they're thick as pig poo poo and will sell them for drugs" narrative a lot of people there needed cheaper bills yesterday and were capable of pulling out a calculator, and it's the middle classes who think they look unsightly or make noises or whatever nonsense.

We replaced all those schemes with austerity and going and loving yourself many years back though.

There's a Green Homes Grant thing going that I've just put in for free solar panels from, but you need to have a household income under 30k, own the house and it's got to have an energy efficiency rating of D or lower for the freebies.

https://www.eonenergy.com/green-homes-grant.html, in case it helps anyone here.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

They're trying to paint the whole thing as a big family funeral for the nan of the nation but then they get mad when there's singing and a big deal about snacks. Can't have it both ways.

Want to see the First Sea Lord start a fight over some ham sandwiches while sniffing back tears and poking someone in the chest repeatedly.

SHE ALWAYS SAID SHE'D LEAVE THAT FACKIN TEAPOT TO ME!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I've (mostly) cleared stuff out of the cupboard under the stairs so tomorrow I'll swab it out with dettol and decide which apocalypse emergency stores go on which shelf. Also some stuff from the smaller cupboard can go into the attic too. And piles of books back on shelves so I'll have clear space on the floor.

Moving stuff around my house started out like one of those sliding block puzzles but it's gradually getting easier as stuff gets chucked/donated...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lady Demelza posted:

I really need to sort out my store cupboards, and chuck a load of stuff on Ebay, but I never seem to have a good run of time to do it. Seriously contemplating taking a day off work so I can make a start.

:golfclap:

Yeah, I reckoned lockdown would be the perfect time to finally get round to a really good clearout. Ahahahaha.

The only thing I've got left in that cupboard now is an absolutely massive 1900s-ish early typewriter that I'm wondering about hauling to a physical auction, because there's no way it's selling on ebay and some rich twit might think it's cool enough to pay me scads for, but oh god it's heavy.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, but I figured, like, the little co-op would be open. Or the petrol station wild bean cafe. Or something

That said, yes, I have been avoiding all this nonsense to the absolute best of my abilities

The little Londis at my petrol station was open as usual, so I got my morning coffee at least. And had a nice hi-how-are-you-doing-well with the bloke who runs it, who looked about as cheerful as a bloke who looks like Indian Lurch can, so maybe he was open out of spite?

Kin posted:

Laffo, in my LBC Alexa morning news update they just said an estimated 4 Billion people are expected to tune in and watch the queen's funeral.

More than half the world!

Given only 400,000 odd people turned up to lavish praise on the box, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration unless every media platform on the planet is hard locked to it.

About half the channels on my Sky box seem to be, FWIW. You will mourn! You will grieve! Or you will at least have to pick a DVD and find out if your DVD player still works!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently it is also International Talk LIke A Pirate Day, aarrrr Jim Lad.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Fifteen men on a dead queen's chest!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I'm a little surprised there is not more complaint about camilla being the queen, literally same rank as er maj

That's why the Queen Consort thing, to emphasise that no no she's the evil conniving slapper oo'll nevver be are queen of hearts like are Di would have bin.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sheri posted:

Consort is just a title to indicate you are the partner of the actual monarch. Di would have been Queen Consort as well. She can't be Queen queen because she's not in the line of succession.

Wasn't there some deal struck when Chaz remarried? That Camilla wouldn't get all the titles? Or was that just to stop her being Princess Camilla?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Samael posted:

Shoplifting in general has probably increased tenfold over the last six months where I work, it's a sign of things to come.
Working on the queen's funeral and two guys in their 20s walked in, took a basket and helped themselves to several cases of dairy milk chocolate and ran away. You kind have to feign annoyance and anger at them but fair play, I'm not going to stop them and police never come out for shoplifting anyway.

Yeah, I was down at Sainsbury's early morning and saw a nicely dressed lady strolling out through the self-scan with a couple of those weetabix drinks bottles, and soon after a girl carrying something I didn't see. Foraging for breakfast I guess?

Can't say I give a poo poo; if supermarkets want to get rid of cashiers to save money then they can take the shrinkage in stride.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why don't you insulate your houses? Is it a culture war thing?

gently caress knows. I think it's a :tif: thing.

I got my loft insulated (and floored) when I moved in and I seem to be regarded as mildly weird but harmless if I mention that to people.

Ed: the house was nearly 100 years old when I bought it and no one else had bothered in all that time.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 3, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Diet Crack posted:

People will quickly change their tune when they're freezing to death. Like.. why the gently caress wouldn't you insulate your home

gently caress if I know. Inertia I guess? As a general rule Brits love their status quo, so "we never needed none of this newfangled insulation in The War bulldog breed Land of Hope and Glory :effort: blah blah"?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

See this is why everyone should be forced to play, I dunno, some minecraft, or ideally a colony management game, to give them an instinctive desire to max out efficiency and plan ahead.

Growing up poor used to be good for that, but apparently these days the ideal is "making sure the poor don't have any resources to manage full stop gently caress 'em".

Guavanaut posted:

And usually the 'tradition' is some recent low quality thing made necessary by the war rather than an actual tradition. Or from Victorian urbanization at the earliest. But inertia it has.

https://twitter.com/gayle_writing/status/1576854168228098048

Or some random thing the Mail/Expressocracy have seized on as A Marker Of Britishness. (Eg passport colours.)

OwlFancier posted:

You have been reading these threads for how long and have still not come to the conclusion that there is a significant cohort of british society that is monumentally loving stupid and will not under any circumstances accept that they are wrong about anything ever?

Monumentally loving stupid and spiteful. But in this case it seems to be... I guess "complacency" is the word I'm looking for. "Ha ha how bad can things get, we're British after all, we muddle through ha ha!"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bobstar posted:

Followed by: "...I didn't think the leopards would make me muddle through!"

"I'll have you know those are heraldic British leopards and they would nev- umph mmph mraargh"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_(heraldry)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's boilerplate Rhetoric Of Reaction, of this type:
https://twitter.com/yurirando/status/1577801327337672704

It's interesting exactly what stories people tell themselves as to why such a thing would be the case though, from like the "seatbelts would make people drive like maniacs, killing more" to whatever is in the howling void of Liz Truss' head that comes up with "energy savings are against my ideology."

Yeah, it's pure and simple "the Green Lefty Treehugging Ecopeople want to save energy therefore We Will Nevah Nevah".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Surely Keith is panicking a bit now at the thought of the Tories putting someone even just sensible or not brain-dead in charge? I mean, all he has got is looking sensible - and the Tories will have looking sensible and wanting to kill the poor - the winning ticket in the England apparently

You're assuming he wants to win. There's been no particular sign of that so far…

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am not sure that's comparable. Priests get a job, ready access to victims, and security for their time investment. Trans women just get poo poo. Even from a theoretical actual TERF (as opposed to FART) perspective, the idea makes no sense, as a man pretending to be a woman would be trading the most powerful identity in favor of the weakest one, for no reason at all, seeing as men are perfectly able to be sexually abusive for years with no consequence within our current society.

And if they want an extra layer of security they just join the police force.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Beloved old willow like it's a 600 year old oak lol

People get weirdly sentimental about willows - one in a garden near a friend of mine had to be murked because its roots were severely loving up the local sewer lines, and there were notes about ~TREE MURDER!!1!!~ left on the owner's fence.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Scientastic posted:

If Truss gets rid of the triple lock on pensions, surely that’s game over for the Tories? Who’s left to vote for them?

Who else are they going to vote for hur hur hur

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Z the IVth posted:

She'll launch a second strike and nuke Paris, Berlin, Holyrood and Grimsby.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rustybear posted:

if there was a successor she'd allready be gone. they cant even go to a GE without a leader, someone has to be in post

the only options are hold her in place or have another free-for-all leadership contest that might throw up god knows who

And that nobody wants to win anyway. They're not that stupid. Truss looks like she's looked in the Ark of the Covenant after just 6 weeks.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Drinkslinger posted:

I can't tell if it's actually him holding those views, or if that yellow thing on his head is some kind of mind-controlling alien brain parasite.

Holy poo poo it's been the Bad Wig from Yonderland all along.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mourning Due posted:

Honest question: do you think if it's Johnson, and there's a snap general election before the end of the year, Starmer will win? Will people who voted for Johnson actually vote Labour?

Same question about Sunak or Mordaunt?

As far as I can tell Starmer is doing his damndest not to win, and the Tories are accidentally managing to undermine him every step of the way. I mean, poo poo like not supporting nurses' pay rises? He's got to be doing that deliberately to avoid popularity.

Or maybe he thinks trying to be popular isn't Serious enough. I dunno.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

qhat posted:

So is a general election even remotely plausible? Are there enough Tory MPs who would happily sink the party this week because they above all else hate Rishi Sunak?

I doubt they would for themselves, but maybe if enough of their gammon constituents scream at them loudly enough? ...

I doubt it, but it is a lovely thought.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Barry Foster posted:

That's some weird arcane cult poo poo.

The youth are being corrupted! They're all doing the MoggMogg challenge!

Mogging it up! Mogging it up!

(I'm too lazy to go find that droogs pic. You know the one.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tarnop posted:

The main difference is that you will never be denied a benefit or fall through a gap that the idiots designing the system didn't think of. Nor will you get the situation where some politician thinks "well we already have this means testing bureaucracy, what if we just get them to perform some other tests of deservingness". Once the bureaucratic structure exists, there's a strong incentive to find further uses for it since that is efficient

There are also a bunch of side benefits like increasing labour power by making it easier for people to change jobs or reduce hours or quit and try to create something knowing that they won't be forced to engage with a system that's only for poor people. It also defangs the implicit threat by which employers slowly erode rights.

But but do you want means testers to be jobless? Out on the streets? Think of their poor starving children! :cry:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Diet Crack posted:

You did the right thing - people shouldn't have cats if they can't accept that poo poo is going to get scratched or things knocked over. The idea that they'll run rampant for 10 days instead of just sleeping most of the time is absurd.

I reckon they prefer to knock things over when humans are around anyway. They like the effect it has.

Ed: draw me like one of your French cattes taxxe:

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 30, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I was more thinking a reality TV show where they have to attempt to build a society in there and probably just eat each other.

"So... cie... ty?" :bighow:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

franco posted:

Re: warm clothing for the coming apocalypse.

I bought one of these a short while back at Primark on a whim because it looked so ludicrous (ignore the ebay flipping price. I couldn't find it on their site. It was £16). Holy poo poo is it warm. I can put it on in my leaky flat and be warmed up in minutes without any heating on. If you don't fancy burgers they have loads of other daft designs!

That polyester-fluff lining is everywhere on cheap warm things and it brings my eczema out like a burning flame. Very disappointing.

I'm going to have to bring the sleeping bag down from the attic so I can stick my legs in it and sit on the sofa like a really bad cosplay of Leto Atreides II.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

We will tolerate overcrowding, disease, racism, and inhumane conditions, but a plant is where we draw the line.

They're supposed to be loving miserable! No drugs allowed!

Ed: no taxation without catresentation:

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 5, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

forkboy84 posted:

You should create the Wiki so I don't have to do anything. I like to stick in my lane of expertise and that's doing nothing.

Why the gently caress can't these cretins be cynical about something worth being cynical about instead of deciding to monster victims of an attack? gently caress me.

Because the victims aren't able to fight back the way your targets would if you were stalking and surveilling Tory MPs etc. They get to feel powerful and in the know while not being in any danger of anything except perhaps a slight slap on the wrist from a confused magistrate.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Poultry in motion :dadjoke:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And they actually are kind of right, if you care about poppies.

smuggling some other political message into your poppy is pretty disrespectful of the initial symbol.

The initial symbol was the "clap for the NHS!" of its day, ie "we're going to do gently caress all about the actual problem or the cause but here's something to make everyone feel they're helping". So bollocks to it.

(Also the same as in anyone who points out it's bollocks in public gets curbstomped...)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There are other terms - Autigender is an odd one that's been popping up on twitter a lot, which is a term for how a higher proportion of autistic people report feeling disconnected from their gender, in the same way some autistic people report feeling disconnected from their emotions. Not sure how I feel about the aesthetics of the word, and there's some crossover with agender, but it's an interesting idea.

Huh. I'm not keen on the term, but I feel remarkably seen by the concept. More evidence that I'm on the spectrum I guess, though I can't imagine bothering to jump through all the hoops for a formal diagnosis at my age.

Mind you I've also found recent talk about ADHD traits unnervingly relatable and rather intriguing...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

darkwasthenight posted:

It's a toss between a glancing blow from a badly thrown welly at a village fete, and as a child getting ran over by a rogue Morris dancer going for an outfield cricket ball. Everybody was pissed at the time, obviously, or it wouldn't be a folk tradition.

Does getting an arrow in the ankle from Friar Tuck count? I was Little John in the school play and he was careless. Luckily it was so blunt it bounced off, but sadly that meant the mark faded in a few days.

HopperUK posted:

The ADHD thread in EN will happily host any amount of 'wait you all do that too?' conversation :)

Yeah, I've dipped a toe thanks. It's a new thought and I'm wary of self-diagnosis but oof.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Where does Jortson fall on there though, because he's painfully unfunny, obtuse, but also :lol::lol:

BTW the Telegraph has a puff piece about his new university that's going to save civilisation (by teaching the students to read Ancient Greek) if your eyes are in need of a good roll: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education-and-careers/2022/11/14/have-strict-meritocracy-day-inside-jordan-petersons-anti-woke/

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Apraxin posted:

Question for the thread, unfortunately quite a grim one:

Some family friends recently had a relative pass away unexpectedly. Said relative lived some distance away, was a very private person and prone to dropping out of contact unannounced for long periods, and also was relatively young and not thought to have health issues, so unfortunately by the time the alarm was raised they'd been deceased inside their house for several weeks and the body couldn't be formally identified through visual means.

The family submitted DNA for the identification a few weeks ago but hadn't heard anything back, so they called the plod this week and were told the timeframe for formal identification was 'mid-January at the earliest'. They're obviously devastated by this, they can't hold a funeral or do anything to move forward without the identifiaction.

Does anyone know if three months is a normal timeframe for this? A part of the breakdown of public services in the UK generally? Or did they get bad information and should try following up again? Tried looking it up myself but got all kinds of contradictory answers :(.

drat, that's grim. Sympathies. Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to read about death:

My best friend's husband died unexpectedly at the beginning of the year (collapsed in their house, already dead when he hit the floor) and it took a couple of months for the coroner to certify his death wasn't dodgy and release his body for the funeral. So yeah, I can see 3 months as not unreasonable, since I daresay they'll have to be doing all the making sure it was a natural death stuff as well as the ID.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I went to uni with a guy who apparently had to have time off because he had an ingrown hair on his bum and couldn't sit down.

Pilonoidal sinus? Seemed to be endemic on these forums some years ago, can't imagine why...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Private Speech posted:

I'm on 55k or so and I can't afford a car, mortgage deposit, holidays abroad or to give a child the same quality of life as parents gave me - largely due to living in one the highest CoL parts of the UK as a single guy - and before anyone says it, I did live in a shared house but I was told point blank to move or get sacked from my partially WFH job, since the noise from the other tenants was disrupting the work environment.

I do live a comfortable life in the sense that I can afford food and heat and bedsit rent and necessities as long as I don't get sacked, but that isn't really all that great.

I'm on 27k in London, so pretty much median income, but I'm unimaginably better off than a ton of other people on the same or more due to owning my house outright. It's about as tiny as a house can get and 5 mins walk from Kent, but I paid off the mortgage 2 years ago. From what you say I'm probably on about the same level as you day-to-day; I can look after myself and put a bit away for emergencies, but no work would eat through my savings quick enough. Though again I'd have house equity as a cushion - it's crazy what a difference that makes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lady Demelza posted:

It's 15.5C in my house. The heating has just kicked on for the first time since yesterday, and it'll go off in 30 minutes. My house is really poorly insulated but it is a mid-terrace. I wish all these people accusing others of performative coldness would give it a go for a month and see how they cope.

Performative loving coldness jesus christ, I wish all the worst in the world on whichever lizard-brained turd came up with that phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah people should include at least the very next sentence " A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly". In fact, you could probably reduce the whole thing down to that one thought

Me and my gammon face beg to differ with ol' Roald on that. But there you go, there's plenty of worse things to be than bog ugly, and Glinner's a fair number of them too.