Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Syrant posted:

Unless it's BEAM SCISSORS! :black101:

Fixed that for you. God only knows why they called it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

As if that somehow makes it okay.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It is dumber than all of those. It's basically everything you can imagine from awful fanfiction, up to and including every character's children (or not their children in certain cases) and their parents looks exactly identical to those characters, completely batshit stupid insane plots. (Did you know Relena's mother had a tragic romance with Heero's father and they looked identical and also she piloted a prototype Epyon equipped with a Prototype Zero System also maybe she was the Lightning Count or something and had giant pumpkin carriage tanks?!)

Like it is just in every way the stupidest thing you can imagine.

So what you're telling me is that Frozen Teardrop is Heero's brain misfiring as he slowly dies of Zero System related brain anuryisms? I'm surprisingly okay with that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

psyer posted:

The cover for vol. 2 of Gundam Origin has been released.

Not that impressed.

God. I just can't stop seeing Amuro's hair as one of those big Russian hats.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zedd posted:

If you think Kira finetuning the strike OS on the fly is bad (like in the desert) the strike freedom launch is even worse.

:j: here is your new ms.
:downs: cool
:j: you can launch now.
:smug: lemme just adjust all the settings to my liking...OK DONE!
:byodood: Kira Yamato STRIKEFREEDOM kidooooo

Well to be fair I like to imagine a lot of that is more or less "Okay lets fix the goddamned keybinds on this."

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I really think that seed dub is pretty crappy, but man, the guy who did Rau le crueset completely nailed the role and was a joy to listen to.

You know, say anything bad you want about Seed (And I know you will), but Rau La Crueset was a genuinely entertaining villian. No especially grand philosophy, no real stake at all in the actual war between two nations other than just wanting everything to die. There is something refreshing about that level of nihilism from a villain.

Caros
May 14, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was he the one who Une dropped out of a plane and then shot as he was falling?

Man, if Band was confused about the whole 'shoot a guy before throwing him out of a plane' thing in the dark knight this will really mess with him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

fivegears4reverse posted:

The Wing dub is almost a yearly thing for me and a couple buddies. We don't always get through the whole show, but it's always watched dubbed. The first episode alone really ought to clue people in to just how deep into Crazytown the ENTIRE CAST really is. Seriously, not even minutes into the mission, and Heero is already trying to kill himself, his Gundam, or both at the same time, and he considers this turn of events to be worthy of elation. The VA's deadpan delivery of everything is unintentionally perfect.

If there ever was a Wing Abridged, they should probably add a HEERO YUI FAILED SUICIDE count.

ITS A GUNDAAAAAAM count :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I think 00 suffered from Setsuna just basically not having a sensible path of development. The second season and all the Innovation and Raiser stuff basically divorced him from the rest of the plot. He barely interacted and they had to shove Saji into his backpack to give him someone to even slightly play off of and write his robot out of the scene any time drama was actually necessary because it could solve most problems.

There's no real focus to Setsuna, especially after the S1-S2 rewrite. If they'd had every planned from the start then maybe thee would be but as it stands it's not really shocking they take every chance they get to disable him, write him out of the scene, or otherwise shove him off camera. It's just that also continues the cycle of him feeling disconnected from everyone else. (And not in a good symbolic way.)

Admittedly the other pilots run into that too. Lord knows they had absolutely no idea what to do with Allelujah and would much rather have just been writing about Soma, and replacing Lockon Stratos with his identical twin brother Lockon Stratos felt more like a marketing move than anything that lead to plot.

Without delving too much into fanfiction I still stand by the idea that Saji would have made a much better protagonist for season 2 of 00 Gundam.

You get rid of Lockon 2, because lets face it, that was loving dumb. You keep Setsuna in an upgraded and still melee focused Exia, and you have Saji refuse to fight at all until Louise enters the picture. Then you stick him in the 00, have it still be ridiculously overpowered to help him stay alive, and have him consistantly have to grapple with the idea of taking lives and trying to save Louise from her own personal darkness in a way that didn't involve facing backwards screaming LOUISE while Setsuna kicks her teeth in.

I really liked the Saji/Louise stuff in season 1, and I found it really frustrating that the two didn't ever really confront one another before the ending scenes.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Though if this is a SEED movie, and all of the protagonists are getting upgrades, I'm going to hope Shinn upgrades to the Manifest Destiny.

:golfclap:

Honestly I have to say that strikes me as very similar to the freedom in overall looks without quite as much bling. In particular the shade of blue used on the 'wings' seems to match almost exactly the Strike Freedom.

I can't say I'd be heartbroken if it was the seed movie since I liked seed even if I hated destiny. Out of the rumors I've heard floating around it definately sounds better than if its another AGE side project.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

By professional you mean an emotionally broken child soldier destroying and killing anything and everything as an outlet for his pent up grief and rage? All under an extremely flimsy excuse of fighting for peace.

Yeah... there was that one scene where he walked around gunning down soldiers on foot with his head vulcans. Not sure if that qualifies as professional.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

We're talking about the soldiers who were forcing civilians to construct a base for them, yes?

Yup. The soldiers who were in a base that was about to be captured by his forces in a matter of minutes as I recall. Shinn systematically levels a base of soldiers who for the purposes of fighting him, are effectively unarmed. He unloads on hanger bays, slashes up fuel tanks and guns down soldiers as they run away from him.

quote:

"They did something bad that set Shinn off" doesn't actually mean he doesn't have issues. He's a hosed up guy who keeps it under control.

More or less this. Shinn sometimes loses his poo poo and goes off the rails even in the early episodes of destiny. He's still leagues above someone like Kamille in terms of following orders, but some of the things he does are not what I'd consider professional for a soldier.

Then again, it'd be easier to ask who doesn't commit a few warcrimes in gundam.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 16, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

If the big reveal winds up being a SEED movie, I think I'm just gonna leave this thread alone for a while. Even if SEED as a whole is better than AGE, following AGE with more SEED is not really a good thing. The next episode of Unicorn can't come fast enough; I'm losing what little faith I had left in the people running this franchise.:qq:

Well, don't get too down in your hopes until they announce the staff. With a good director a SEED movie could end up being good. It doesn't have 00's problem of freakish and mostly uninteresting aliens so it is entirely possible you could have some vaguely interesting drama and some decent pew-pew action with that large of a budget.

If it gets the SEED destiny staff we're screwed. Keep some burbon on hand. just in case.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pierson posted:

They should go all-the-way stupid and have the main character uncover a gundam figurine-smuggling ring, smuggling in knock off gunpla from Hong Kong. Whenever he comes across a group of hardcore armed criminals they all stop what they're doing and find a shop/sphere/whatever to battle in and the losers are arrested as they walk out. The final battle is between the hero with his generic upgraded gundam he inherited from his father and the head of the smuggling ring, using a diecast kitbashed Zaku painted with cheap lead-based paint. Truly we will learn the meaning of friendship, and poo poo.

I kind of hope they go the Yugioh route with it. What's that? You lost in a Gunpla battle with me? MINDCRUSH!

Caros
May 14, 2008

muike posted:

Zeheart did you just say "colony destroyer" with a straight face. Are you making GBS threads me dude. How do you not think something shifty is going on, or that you're maybe not on the side of justice, dingus

Its a demolition device used to destroy derelict colonies that would otherwise fall to earth and cause catastrophic damage. Duh.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Popehoist posted:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 has the best story, and the worst gameplay. The story and gameplay scale inversely for the rest of the series. I dropped the third game after about 20 minutes because they just weren't putting the effort into the story any more and the gameplay isn't interesting enough to carry the game on its own.

I got the Japanese version and just kinda guessed at all the story sequences from the portrait's facial expressions.

Kamille: Hey guys, so are we going to go shoot down the enemy.
Setsuna: I am gundam!
Kamille: O...kay.
Amuro: Yeah, he's kinda odd like that.
Shinn: Hey guys, so are we...
Everyone in Unison: gently caress OFF SHINN!

It honestly made for a very entertaining game. It was the lovely repeat stages that made me stop playing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

^^ I guess I thought he at least got incinerated in an effort to block out the oddly gruesome phase SEED went through. Then again, SEED also gave us the human-body-exploding superweapon. :gonk: ^^

Which one? :getin:

Seriously, they had the Genisis beam, the microwave base destroyer thing. Okay, now I'm actually curious. SEED WMD's in order:

Nuclear Missiles (Lots of them)
Cyclops System (Mmm, squishy)
EMP bombs (Dunno if this is a WMD but I'm including it since it kills a huge force of people)
GENESIS (Gamma death ray)
Neutron Stampeder (Blows up nukes, is badass. I count it anyways)
Neibelung (Anti air doom gun)
Requiem (Multi-directional giant particle death beam)
Neo-GENESIS (There is a third one in the manga)

And that's before accounting for nuclear equipped mobile suits. If you hand wave away intersteller travel I maintain SEED could give any sci-fi show a run for its money.

Can you imagine what would have happened if the 00 movie aliens appeared in SEED? They'd have three months to build newer and more exotic superweapons before the Aliens even showed up for a fight.

:hitler: - My friends. We must design a new, OMNI-GENESIS... for the dialogues to come.

I'd watch it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zorak posted:

There aren't that many people actually on Earth, is the thing. The majority of the resources and population is in Space; the Earth is pretty much the home to the elite and those who are subjugated by the elite.

The Earth was a glorified slave-state that not only enslaved its own populace with its finances, but the colonies as well. The EF had the finances and time to evacuate the Earth many times over, the issue is that they didn't care.

This same thing happened during ZZ Gundam when the Axis Zeon dropped a colony on Dublin. The EF had all the time in the world to warn people, but they didn't since "hey, who cares about a bunch of rubes?"

poo poo, let's not forget that they literally sell the asteroid to the Zeon in CCA because "hey, SPACE GOLD".

Not to defend the plutocratic 1%, but there is a wonderful Lincoln quote for this:

quote:

But you will not abide the election of a Republican president! In that supposed event, you say, you will destroy the Union; and then, you say, the great crime of having destroyed it will be upon us! That is cool. A highwayman holds a pistol to my ear, and mutters through his teeth, "Stand and deliver, or I shall kill you, and then you will be a murderer!"

The idea that he is somehow not responsible for the deaths that are going to result because the federation 'makes him' do it, is pretty... disgusting honestly. Char effectively gives up on the idea of accomplishing his goals through anything short of mass murder, and once he reaches that point he really is abdicating the high ground, particularly since he has no proof that everything will suddenly be better once everyone is up in space. Its entirely possible, in fact likely that even if the federation collapses a new group will spring up and find new ways of oppressing humanity.

Also, its a little disingenuous to say that Char buys axis for SPACE GOLD. Yeah he pays for it, but the more important part is that he agrees to fully surrender and disarm his troops to the Federation in exchange for axis. Are they pretty stupid for giving it to him? Probably. But then again, I don't think anyone in UC up to that point would have thought someone would be crazy enough to take a giant fuckoff asteroid, steal and then load it with every nuke they can get their hands on, and then attempt to throw it onto earth to kill every living thing on the planet. That is pretty loving nuts after all.

quote:

Not quite sure where you're getting that? Plus Char never dropped a colony.

He does drop 5th Luna on Federation headquarters in CCA, leveling a decent sized city and killing probably a million or so people in the process.

quote:

Logistical analysis is there to prove that even with forewarning the idea of evacuating the Earth in time to avoid large death tolls is pretty silly and that Char never meant to avoid those tolls in the first place. He just didn't care one way or another. All that mattered to him was his ideals, drat the people it cost to see them through.

Its pretty much this in my opinion.

Keep in mind that Char's Counter attack takes place over the course of two weeks. Char declares war on February 27, 0093. On March 3rd he captures Fifth Luna and throws it at Federation headquarters. Three days later the Federation signs a peace agreement with Char, to disarm his troops in exchange for Axis. Char fakes disarmament on the 12th of March, attempts to drop Axis, and is dead by the 14th.

Char never gives the Federation any chance to evacuate the drop zones (not that it would be reasonably possible) and the best possible case is that roughly One billion people are forced to relocate from the planet of their birth into space, assuming that the Federation has the capability of transporting and housing all of those people, and that the resulting nuclear winter doesn't make travel into space significantly more dangerous/impossible.

Edit: Also I think some posters underestimate the effects of nuclear winter. A bad nuclear exchang for exampel, would imperal food supplies for the planet. Its not a matter of eating less vegtables, so much as that the weather would be below freezing in the summer in major agricultural areas. Food would be incredibly scarce unless brought down from the colonies, which they'd probably have to do considering how long it would take to evacuate earth.

To give an idea, at the height of colonization of space, it took ten years to move four billion people into space, from UC 0040 to UC 0050. Even in Gundam its not easy to move than many people. Then again, a lot of them would probably be dead... so that would help.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 9, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Not sure if. I should ask this here or the the Build Fighter thread itself, but how has the show been so far? If it's good I wouldn't mind picking up another series to follow.

Just to chip in, I think Build Fighters is the best Gundam product produced since the move to digital animation that started with seed (So basically post Turn A). Its very different from a traditional Gundam show, but I honestly can't say that is a bad thing.

Sunrise has had a huge problem that they really, really want to remake the same thing over and over. SEED, 00 season 2 (even season 1 has similarities to wing), lovely, lovely age. These shows are constantly trying to be 'Gundam', to touch on some of the same plot points act in a certain way and so forth.

Build Fighters... isn't. The closest thing it is imitating would be G Gundam, but even that isn't really a good comparison. It has its own plot, its own characters and most importantly its own themes. In Build Fighters war isn't hell, there aren't female characters introduced solely to die tragic deaths or humanize the pilots. Its light hearted Shonen fun about believing in your dreams, working to achieve them and trusting in the strength of yourself and your friends.

And the part that really does it, at least for me is that it still calls back to older Gundam shows, but it does so in intelligent ways. The diologue references concepts from previous Gundam shows, such as the Flanegan institute, but doesn't beat you over the head with them.

I really could go on, but basically, if you like Gundam you will probably like Build Fighters. Well written, well directed, animated and everything else.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

We'll probably get them eventually.

The SEED dudes are getting in with such numbers because they have a SEED story mode in the game and they need to pad it out with the actual guys you fight in SEED. It's the same reason you've got a lot of generic UC guys filling slots, because they've also got story modes.

Will it kill them to give me providence? I love that suit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure it will be in. It's the Final Boss suit of SEED and they already included Legend Gundam so his voice actor is already in.

Oh. I didn't know they'd included Legend. Wonderful then. :)

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

"Hi, I'm Lockon Stratos, the twin brother of Lockon Stratos" will forever remain one of the absolute dumbest things Gundam has ever done to me, no matter how much they try to justify it.

I loving hate that every time I read it, watch it or even think it.

Just make Saji a loving main pilot already! Give Setsuna some upgraded Exia, make Saji the goddamned protagonist and have Allelujah get brain damage in the third episode that prevents him from saying the word Marie.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, here comes a mega nerdy question.

Say someone was going to do a pen and paper tabletop Gundam RPG. What system would you use? I've found a few, but can't really decide. I'm looking for something that has fun and easy to grasp combat that is well suited to giant robot battles, and could easily be converted into the UC setting.

*d20 modern - everyone is familiar with the d20 rules, but out of the mecha rules I've found, a lot of them are more bare bones compared to Mekton or Jovian Chronicles as D&D obviously wasn't designed with giant robots in mind. I would likely have to dream up rules for stuff like core fighters\magella attack tanks and newtypes all by myself.

*Mekton Zeta - most google searches I do recommend this above all others, and it does have a couple neat and very anime rules here and there, but the process of designing mecha for it SUCKS. It's time consuming as hell and requires a fuckton of math. It sucks spending a day trying to design a single mobile suit. And as we know, Gundam has a fuckton of Mobile Suits.

*Jovian Chronicles \ Silhouette core - Jovian Chronicles is basically Gundam except the name is different and it takes place in the entire solar system and not just the earth sphere. It even has rules for O'Neil cylinders. It seems like it's a lot easier to design mecha, too, so I could make GMs and Zakus galore. However, I have no idea what the actual gameplay is like, and people on various internet forums seem to hate the engine and prefer Mekton or d20 over it.

Really, I just wish that Gundam Senkei was translated into English so I would already have a campaign setting and all the mobile suits pre-made.

I would definitely want to set it in the Universal Century, and most likely during the OYW as that's the part of the UC most people in the west are familiar with (I don't know a lot of people this side of the pond who have seen Zeta Gundam even though a Gryps Conflict \ Neo Zeon War campaign would be rad.)

Has anybody here every tried this before? Thoughts? Suggestions?

You might want to take a gook at a locally designed game: Giant Guardian Generation

I'm honestly not super keen on it just because the rules seem pretty 'wonky' and thrown together, but goons REALLY seem to like it. So there is that. =)

Edit: Aww poo poo, just realized it was already posted in the thread, and by its author no less. Not intended as a slight btw. I'm just really picky when it comes to rule systems :ohdear:

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 10, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It was probably supposed to be dramatic, but I burst out laughing when I watched the origin of the Coordinator hatefest.

"People of Earth, I, a man who excels in numerous sports and have like 60 PhDs, am a product of genetic engineering! And your children can be just like me! Here, let me give you all the information you'll need."
"KILL THEM ALL"

I mean yeah, genetic engineering is an actual thing people in real life are worrying about, but I'm pretty sure nobody would actually go on a genocidal slaughter over it!

Really? You don't see how irrational people might get pretty crazy and genocidal about genetically engineered supermen?

I mean Azreal is the poster child for why people would end up that way. He goes to an expensive school that he attends with other children who have been genetically engineered to be flat out better than him. They more or less trounce him and beat him at everything leaving him with major feelings of inferiority, which is then coupled with the fact that his mother finds coordinators to be 'monsters'.

And that is before taking into account the fact that it would almost certainly be the rich and the powerful who ended up with the first few generations of coordinators unless the technology was insanely cheap. And also before you factor in religion.

Jealousy is a real human emotion, and when you can direct that jealousy at a specific group of people, is it any wonder that there start being hate groups and attacks against these 'superior' people?

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Well considering Coordination is supposed to be available to everyone in CE, probably not what actually happened in the show. Sure some people would oppose it on ethical/moral grounds, but I'm pretty sure just as many others would be all for it. There'd likely be numerous discussions, maybe some violence (because there are always going to be shitheads), but ultimately the odds of "kill loving everyone" being the solution are rather low. I mean if you think otherwise sure, but unless CE had like the cleanest history ever the idea that public, international genocide would not almost immediately be cracked down on is frankly ridiculous. Genetic engineering and human society are very complex issues that SEED does absolutely no justice with its idiotically evil Naturals or its ridiculously pure and just Coordinators.

I know, I can't believe SEED hosed something up either.

Not all coordinators are portrayed as pure and just, in fact a massive number of them are portrayed as hosed up genocidal assholes. The final duel of SEED wasn't Kira vs some Earth Federation pilot, it was Kira vs. a genetically engineered clone that wanted to end all human life.

Honestly what happens in SEED isn't hard to believe, though it is left vague.

Rich people start engineering their kids. This leads to a general popular uprising against the actual elites as people realize that there is now an entirely new race being born that will eclipse theirs. This probably happens when 'coordination' is expensive. Governments get overthrown, and you probably end up with a bunch of fascist/'democratic' governments that pass increasingly brutal anti-coordinator laws.

The rich and the powerful start moving to the colonies in the ultimate form of the gated community. Time passes, the PLANTS start showing how much better they are than the naturals of earth (who have probably banned genetic engineeering by this point.) The federation, comprised of fascist, racist assholes start a shooting war with the PLANTS because they hate coordinators and/or realize that the assholes in the PLANTS will probably shoot first eventually to take back earth.

Edit: I REALLY need to go back and watch turn A at some point. I watched it years ago and just hated it, but goons seem to love it so much that it just confuses me. :(

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Personally speaking I'm not particularly jealous that there are people in the world who are smarter/stronger than me, but whatever. People are inequal. That has always been the case and coordination doesn't just suddenly make it an issue.

Man have you looked at the real world? Some places are poorer than others. Not coincidentally, the people in those places are less healthy than the richer countries. Now maybe there's a secret real life Blue Cosmos in some African nation seeking the death of all first world people everywhere, but I think we both agree that's kind of silly and not at all indicative of all third world countries?

You know, I guess I'll give you credit for genuinely not understanding on a basic level why other people would want to murder an entire race of people, but we've put forward a pretty substantial number of reasons. I suppose I'll just focus on these points.

Have YOU looked at the real world? There was a genocide in the recent memory of people I've personally met for no other reason than because those people were somehow racially 'different' than other people. People hated the Jews ostensibly because they were 'inferior' or because they believed that Jewish people didn't work for their money and instead manipulated world finance. In MY living memory we have had genocides of ethnic peoples for probably a dozen different reasons.

Yet you find it hard to believe that a large portion of the world would not get upset, perhaps violently so at the prospect of a new race of humans that are simply better than them. Keep in mind that coordinators as they are portrayed aren't just a few perks here and there. They are faster, stronger, more resistant than you physically. They are smarter, more innovative and more or less just better than you in every way.

Add on that the first groups of people who receive this procedure are certainly going to be the richest and most elite?

That is a boiling point for racism, fascism and genocide. Human beings have killed one another for way simpler reasons than "You were born better than me in every way shape and form and I hate you for it."

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I was thinking more along the line of OH MY GOD HE'S INVADING ORB! WE HAVE TO DEFEND THE COUNTRY! (lets just ignore the fact that the country's government was actively involved in providing shelter for a guy who killed hundreds of thousands of people and helped jump-start a huge war)

You know, I've seen this pop up a couple of times, I think even in this thread before, and it always annoys me:

Yes, Djibril is a racist, genocidal gently caress who pushes war to his own ends. That doesn't suddenly make it okay for ZAFT to unilaterally decide to invade a neutral country so that they can kill the gently caress out of him. ZAFT doesn't even make an attempt at diplomacy, they just go full on 'give us what we want or we'll murder you too', which makes sense when you consider that Durandil also wanted to pacify orb as a lead up to the destiny plan.

I think its also fair to say that the Archangel crew has fair reason to be anti-durandil. He did try to have several of them straight up assassinated earlier in the series, went all identity theft on Lacus and he does follow up the attack on orb by attempting to fire a giant death laser at them. There are a lot of things wrong with SEED destiny, but Kira and friends being pissed off at an invasion of ORB isn't one of them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The pack thing is just the "show the same period of twice in a row but in different places" thing anime does a lot, where we're supposed to assume Kira is detaching the pack at the same moment the ZAKU is firing. (They probably should have shown the firing first and then the pack detach for better 'flow' though.)

It's still not that great but it didn't seem that bad. Build Fighters however means it sure as hell isn't the best fight involving a Strike Gundam and a Zaku this year though.

Low budget aside, this scene infuriates me way more than it should.

The entire point of that scene in the original show was for Kira to lose, and to lose badly. He's launching in a several year old mobile suit against ZAFT's top of the line equipment and he gets loving stomped, which pairs off rather well when he then gets in the Strike Freedom and returns the favor.

I get destiny isn't a very good series, but that scene was at least interesting before. Now it looks like Kira probably could have wrecked all his opponents in the strike, but Lacus went through all that trouble getting him the Strike Freedom, so he might as well.

Also, I've said it before and I will say it again. Strike Freedom is a stupid loving name for a suit that takes basically nothing from the strike. Call it the Eternal Freedom and at least its name still pairs well with the Infinite Justice.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus Christ Japan, it's been 12 years. It's okay to move on.

(Iori Sei at #6.)

Bitching. Was hoping that Build Fighters would keep getting the love.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

Been watching Gundam Unicorn - it's been a good ride, but character motivations have become incredibly confusing. I'm doubtful that episode 7 will redeem episode 6's plot dump, but here's to hoping.

For 95% of it the motivation is 'Newtype Bullshit'. I love UC as much as the next guy, but a lot of Unicorn boils down to people becoming attached to one another via Newtype connections and then being forced to kill/save those people.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Image on the left is the original. The latter is the remaster.

I know everyone else has touched on this, but gently caress that is some serious uncanny valley poo poo right there.

Truth be told I actually liked Gundam SEED, but I couldn't get into the HD remake for his exact reason. Every HD shot threw me the gently caress out of it, and the shots they added and things they changed just seem flat out stupid to me.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eej posted:

I don't think you know what uncanny valley means cause... I'm not seeing it.

The uncanny valley refers to the feeling of revulsion you get when something looks almost, but not quite human. Usually its a reference to robotics and 3d animation, but I get the same sensation here. Looking at the picture on the right gives me the same disturbing shudders as looking at a real doll. It varies from person to person I suppose.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

There are also a good number of bullshit retarded mobile suits and mobile armors that don't show up in the movie trilogy since they were introduced so Amuro could slice up something new one week or the next. You know, like the Zakrello.

Every time I see the Zakrello I think it was a joke suit from some side story. But no, straight up mobile suit gundam.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I had forgotten how loving stupid Gundam Wing was even from the first episode. 'We're on a secret mission!' *every suit gets caught on camera destroying a bunch of poo poo with no attempt at concealment*
Also Heero's beep-boop autistic robot supersoldier poo poo never fails to annoy.

I always love how much people are into Heero as this total badass, even though he looses the Wing Gundam just trying to get to earth, gets constantly shitkicked and seems to only be able to point and shoot or self destruct.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ActionZero posted:

Also dub Rau is amazing.

Rau in general is amazing. He is easily my favorite Gundam villain, because you just have to admire someone who is that nihilistic. The change from calm controlled and sensible pilot to ranting lunatic in the last few episodes is just amazingly well done.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Am I stupid for not knowing aout this Operation British? I'm getting bitched at elsewhere for saying Zeon doesn't ssem so bad wher I'm at and everyone saying "this happened pre-series and was mentioned early on." If it was mentioned, it must have been like one random line of dialog and it was certainly not followed up with an explanation. And as for it being pre-series....how can it be before the first thing in the franchise? I'm really lost.

The closest thing I can think of is the opening narration at the start of the anime and it says both nations lost over half their populations in less than a month. it did not single out Zeon or anything. I just figured they were both equally horrible.

Kinda covered by other posters, but the big thing to remember about Zeon is that they are run by Giren, a guy who is basically space Hitler. And by basically, I mean his own father comments that he is pretty much just Adolf Hitler reborn, something Giren takes as a compliment.

Your typical Zeon soldier isn't necessarily bad, just like the federation aren't exactly the good guys in a lot of things. That said, the zeon leadership really is 70's cartoon evil.

Edit: One more example of Zeon insanity is that Giren was threatening to drop Luna II, a massive, world ending asteroid, on earth if they did not surrender. Fortunately they never got the chance, but it gives you an example of the lengths Zeon was willing to go to defeat the federation.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 8, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Argas posted:

Well, a bit of a clarification. The Sides are large groups of colonies, as opposed to individual colonies.

Its also worth noting that Zeon's surprise attack on sides 1, 2 and 4 pretty much consisted of killing all the defensive forces, and then gassing roughly three billion people to death. Its really hosed up.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there "Zeon clones" in later Gundam series? And are they less moustache-twirling?

The Plants would be the better example from SEED. Since its a remake they are pretty much Zeon redone.

That said, the bloody valentine war from SEED isn't really all that similar to the One Year War. Apart from the energy crisis on earth which gets pretty much totally glossed over, there really aren't all that many casualties, probably a million or so from shots fired compared to 4.5 billion in OYW.

One thing I did like about the SEED take on it is that both sides didn't open up with the doomsday weapons until the peak of the show. I always did think it was a little odd that Zeon went full retard in murdering a third of humanity almost out of nowhere.

On another note, having watched 0083 Stardust Memory on the plane for my vacation, I have to say it is... not good.

0083 was my first non-wing Gundam show when I got into the series playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam, and at the time I was reasonably impressed with it. Having rewatched however I'm really aware of how basically everything was a failure. Kou failed in pretty much everything he did, totaled both (or all three depending) of his mobile suits and failed to stop Gato in any meaningful way. Yet at the same time Gato also effectively failed at doing anything, Stardust succeeded, but so what? Congrats, you killed a bunch of people for no reason and then got offed. And don't even get me started on Nina... christ.

It just seems like a very nihilistic show.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

I was mostly being facetious, because I honestly can't even remember the final fight of 0083 at all but that description of it immediately made me think of the finale of Char's Counterattack. I assumed it wasn't nearly the same thing, but it made me think of it regardless.

There isn't one. Among its many failings the 'final' fight of 0083 has Gato wreck Kou's Ifield, bitch slap him around a little and then they both get shot by the Solar system and Gato goes to do something else.

quote:

It's sort of self-defeating in its very concept, because Zeta was already there--not much room for happy endings when "and then the Earth's government was hijacked by a junta" is written into your epilogue for you.

I know that it leading into Zeta doesn't exactly leave room for a 'happy' ending, but the thing that bothers me is that the whole thing is so pointless. Everyone involved in 0083 comes out looking like an idiot, and the whole thing is just a giant comedy of errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

Johnny Ridden and Shin Matsunaga from the MSVs supposedly shot down totally implausible numbers of enemy MS over the OYW, something like 150+ each which is amusingly preposterous because the Federation only started deploying MS in significant numbers like halfway through. Char is Char, etc.

I think if they are counting non MS kills 150+ sounds reasonable. Zeon pilots ran roughshod over the federation for much of the war, and we have comparible real world pilots like the Red Baron with kill counts of 75+ when outnumbered or using inferior machines.

quote:

And semi-related to that, mobile suits become really outdated really fast. By Zeta Gundam, none of the OYW suits are used anymore and are all considered relics. In real life, fighter jets and tanks will stick around for decades. I think the Guntank R-44 was like, 5 years old or something like that in F91, and it was in a war museum and considered a relic.

Depends on the machines. Particularly if military buildup is still a big concern, turn around on designs can happen pretty quickly. This is even more apparent when there are big conceptual changes. In the OYW Mobile suits were still very, very new, so there was a lot of room for miniaturization and perfecting existing designs. Couple this with the fact that many of the designs were probably not ideal considering they were thrown together in months I don't find it hard to believe that in seven years something like a gelgoog could be considered obsolete, especially when things like panoramic monitors, transformations and other goodies started showing up.

Also the R-44 was a prototype that never got off the ground, so its probably not the best example.

• Locked thread