Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Hotwire.com.

If you ever want an unfiltered stream of conservatives getting angry about every gay and swear word on TV then http://onemillionmoms.com/ has you covered

Man, if these Mom's boycott everything they say they are going to, they will truly be living Biblically; as in living in incredibly primitive conditions.

I wonder what it is like to be offended all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

OgNar posted:

Trumps newest vid about how manly and Alpha he is.
Hopefully Walken didnt ok his voice being used in it and Trump gets sued.

https://twitter.com/PapiTrumpo/status/1579633964020817920

e: thought people were stating he made it at first, he just reposted it on Truth

They all want him to gently caress them, don't they? It all comes off as so horny.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

This is the point to always bear in mind. Fox doesn't need advertisers.

Yet another good reason to drop cable. Don't support Fox

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Politics makes for strange bedfellows. Remember when the right thought Muslims were bad for mutilating their daughters, making women wear burqas and sharia law? Apparently they're cool now because Muslim parents are critical of LGBT books and leftists are attacking them for it.
https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1582025302511063040?t=zPJW9mFhgnIGi4UWEjWNGw&s=19

If it hadn't been for 9-11, I truly feel Republicans would have all the conservative muslims. They're natural bed fellows.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

FMguru posted:

Nice piece about just how weird the right is becoming: https://newrepublic.com/article/169050/masters-vance-weird-right-republicans

Also, Pew Research updated their survey of American religious identity and woo boy Christianity is taking a nose dive: https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/modeling-the-future-of-religion-in-america/

In the last thirty years, Americans have gone from 90% identifying as Christian to 63%. It's astonishing. And it's age-related - people under 50 are less Christian than that, and people under 25 are even less Christian.

One of the earliest, bitterest political lessons I learned in my life was that the numbers don't lie, This Is A Christian Nation, and that puts a hard limit of how fast any kind of progress can be made (and also provides an enormous permanent constituency for counter-progress). But if these numbers hold true (and that Pew article has a number of efforts trying to model how this trend tracks into the future), very soon this will not be a Christian country - possibly even in my lifetime! This is an astonishing, tectonic change and it gets almost zero public consideration.

That's amazing! Clinton becomes president, the religious right welds themselves to the Republicans, Christianity starts to die. I'm getting it ends up stopping at about 30%-40%.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Why are these the only two options? I'm not a soy boy but I'm also not a shithead. I believe masculinity is a rainbow of choices.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

FMguru posted:

It's the other way around - the more they tie themselves to right-wing ideologies and political causes, the more people (especially young people) walk away from them.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/how-u-s-religious-composition-has-changed-in-recent-decades/

Supposedly, churches got hit real hard during the pandemic, as lots of people who stopped going because they were closed/quarantined discovered that they rather liked not having to drag their asses out of bed every Sunday and waste a chunk of an already too-short weekend when there are so many other things they could be doing:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/22/us-churches-closing-religion-covid-christianity

I wonder how much it is that Christianity has tied itself to a single party? Remember when Catholics used to be Democrats?

edit: sorry, that was kind of the point of your post.
In any case, I have teenaged children. They have no interest in church and think Christians are idiots. I'm really proud

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

It's funny how jerks always end up being turds

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Right wing media seems to have their talking points for the recent events. "SVB was a woke bank full of liberals practicing DEI and now the government is bailing them out because they're Dem voters."

One of the major depositors was Peter Thiel, known Liberal

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I like that no one ever admits to drinking Bud and Coors or whatever and they are by far the most popular beer brands. Kind of like no one eating at McDonalds.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I love drinking bud llight, eating mcdonalds, and listening to Nickleback

I judge no man's sick desires.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I eat there about once a month. Extremely reliable food. Always consistently good.

You can boycott all the corporations you want. They literally all suck. I live in a suburb of a major city. All I have is massive corporations to go to. If you support local stores in Texas you're just sending campaign contributions to Trump indirectly. There is no moral purchasing decision in a capitalist economy.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Weatherman posted:

*bong rip*

Really, vape rip, but surprisingly accurate.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

"No ethical consumption under capitalism" doesn't mean "give money to the worst people ever, it doesn't matter" it means no matter what you should try to do your best with what you have available, but there is no perfectly moral solution available to basically anyone.

Find me a major company that isn't just as bad. Besides, since the Chik-Fil-A boycott, they have only gotten bigger. I'd say it's actually helped them.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
They're all literally smirking. Is that the face of journalism to the elderly? A smirk?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

If you have a good dad, making him proud is easy. I'm sad his dad sucked.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

So the RWM sphere is totally hyped about the Wonderful Judge who did a tremendous job and disallowed Hunter Biden's plea deal today. They're also really interested in that bag of White House coke. OK. It's worth discussing and certainly news worthy.

But listen to the radio and take a drink every time they say the word "hunter", "laptop", "sweetheart deal" or "China"

I got to thinking though. Hunter pled guilty and, like most plea deals, got a lighter sentence for it. He's also the son of the President of the United States so let's not delude ourselves here into thinking that he's not going to be treated differently than you or I and with a more gentle hand regarding these things. However, along those lines, again he pled guilty here. Let's say he says "gently caress that" and goes to trial like Trump with all the shenanigans that that entails.

Joe Biden can loving pardon him any time he wants, can't he? And certainly would I'd think. So isn't Hunter's plea an admission of his guilt, an attempt to own up to it and the complete opposite of the poo poo the GOP MAGA 1/6 Classified Documents Crew is doing?

So in addition to sudden very serious concern about nepotism and the selective prosecution of powerful rich people, the RWM is also incredibly concerned about the gun charge, where Hunter lied on his application, which gave me a good laugh but also bugs me a bit because it's perfect fodder for the "libs want to ban guns and want stricter laws but Hunter gets a sweetheart deal so they won't enforce their own legislation" and they're not entirely without a point.

Except, again, they don't seem to understand the nature of a plea deal.

You're asking for logical thinking from people who are enraged.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I just can't imagine an angry, red faced, lying rear end in a top hat working for the liberals. Too many smart people willing to call bullshit.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

je1 healthcare posted:

It doesn't, the white population has only grown everywhere over the past several decades. Their definition of "white genocide" is just interracial marriage.

This is one genocide im happy to participate in. I love my inter-racial daughters.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I swear to god, this is beyond self parody. Dude is like a Will Farrell character in real life

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mike-lindell-big-election-crime-193923014.html

Mike Lindell’s Big ‘Election Crime’ Summit Flops at the Start

I can't tell if he is the scammer or the scammed. This makes me lean towards "scammer".

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Christians get two pride months, the straight one (Christmas) and the gay one (Easter)

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
If the number is that large, almost nothing short of a fully militarized border (with our number one trading partner) would stop it. Only crazies want that.

Also, Wyoming shouldn't get to ve a state with that few people

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Quorum posted:

That's part of what's so depressing about Traditional White American Masculinity. Not only is it suffocatingly strict, it's also incredibly boring.

Is it really just white men? Being a man in most cultures seems to be pretty boring and restrictive.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
He's wearing red and black, his face is red and black? Who gives a poo poo? Constantly getting tweaked by nothing poo poo like this is driving people crazy.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only things I’ve heard about Tucker since he got axed by Fox is that he was on Twitter and now he’s starting his own thing

He was constantly in the news when he was on Fox News, by comparison

I no longer hear of his latest attrocity, except here. This is the fish sauce of the political internet, though.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Fish sauce is super concentrated and stinky

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
17 year old alpha. Everyone over 17 years old considers 17 year old males the bottom of the pile, dude. 17 year old conservative male? The bottom of the shitbag pile.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Talking about the AFA and I have to give shoutout to the book I am currently going through. Really good (Christian faith based) look at how the right wing power quest through conservative Christianity is completely destroying the faith.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Powe...4b93b410334b2fb

If you like that book, he's the religion writer at the Atlantic.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

...! posted:

On the Dick Clark New Year's Eve special, Billie Joe Armstrong sang the updated lyrics for American Idiot rather than the old ones. Specifically, a few years ago they changed "I'm not part of a redneck agenda" to "I'm not part of the MAGA agenda."

The right wing flipped the gently caress out and were ranting that Green Day alienated half their fans by doing that, but the song was never intended to appeal to them.

Conservatives have always misunderstood the message of that song for some reason. It was originally a protest song against the Bush administration and the Iraq War. Now it's a Trump/MAGA mockery song. Considering that Billie Joe Armstrong has yelled "gently caress YOU TRUMP" at nearly every concert for years now, it shows that the right wing has been paying zero attention to the band.

When he did it in Arlington, TX, the cheering was deafening. Don't write off TX just because the dirt between the cities votes for Trump.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I swear to god, man, do the US flag, punisher, AK47, Thin Blue Line decals and obnoxiously loud pipes on F-150's come pre-installed?

I absolutely LOATHE what I see as the ubiquitous performative pseudo patriotism I see everywhere here in NE Florida. It really sucks that the moment I see someone going overboard with USA USA USA branding - or even doing it at all - that I automatically assume they're a fascist. I try REALLY hard not to make snap judgements like that but when someone comes into my work place with a camouflage American flag hat or some poo poo, I can't help myself.

Also, I increasingly notice that the regular old US flag is simply not enough anymore. It'll have red/blue lines, fish, guns patterns, black stripes, camo texture, deer antlers, crosses or whatever the gently caress these goobers are trying to tell us about What They Like, Why It's Cool and Why They're The Salt of the Earth that demands immediate respect.

"Hey, I'm Earl and I love America, fishing and hunting!" so I'm a good person who votes Republican like a True American!"

It's similar to how wound up they get about standing for the anthem, worshipping troops and sucking up to cops. I notice that when they have one of those "I LOVE POLICE" stickers, it's always ALWAYS right there on the rear driver's side so the officer can see it and maybe let the person go with a warning for speeding, rolling coal or violating noise ordinances.

Speaking of that, 20 years ago or so, white rednecks were very VERY up in arms about loud cars - specifically ones that amplified the bass on loud hip hop music - to the point that they actually tried to/succeeded in passing laws about it but, now, every god damned Americamobile I drive past goes out of its way to be as loud as humanly possible.
I live in Texas and notice it on about 1 in 100 cars. It's pretty drat rare. Most people don't want to mark their cars

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't believe were still in "Elvis, Little Richard and Jerry lee Lewis are making these kids dance all sex crazy" mode but I guess the nature of conservative is the idea of never changing and speaks to the idea conformity as a virtue of sorts.

When I saw that video, I was reminded of the one or two times I would up some country bar and was struck how the concept of "dancing" was more like marching. Everyone was doing the same steps as a group in a predetermined way, in lock step. Now, sure, choreography is a thing and can be great, but my read was that they were more invested in not being an individual, standing out or, worse, having to dance in a way that's improvisational, based on feel, passion and rhythm or in a way where they might look silly. If you're just doing the planned steps (as a group), you can skip any of that poo poo. They're following the RULES it seemed to me.

Probably over analyzing it but, to me, it didn't look like FUN, and even though there was a communal aspect to it, that was based on everyone being the same (right down to the clothes). I also don't like country music so that didn't help.

EDIT

Also, this should terrify everybody because this is what people who listen to RWM think. This is the Alabama Supreme court judge who ruled that frozen embryos are people

Dude, people have been doing line dances and group dances as long as there's been dancing.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is literally how most Americans think about Nazis. They did not say the exact words "I am a Nazi" therefore there is plausible deniability and also I'm eternally optimistic and don't want to jump to hasty conclusions or look like a mean person so they get the benefit of the doubt

Yeah, Americans are so hesitant to call other people Nazis. Godwin's law doesn't exist.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Panfilo posted:

There is a deep (and intentional) irony that conservatives simultaneously want to be the rebel that stands out but also deeply conformist. This is, I suppose, a consequence of the somewhat competitive punching down nature of their ideology.

It's similar to toxic masculinity. Under toxic masculinity, you can tear down another man by convincing others he is not 'manly'. Since they're all trying to 'out man' each other the things that set one man apart negatively might be really subtle. Since they all KNOW this, they also know if they risk trying too hard or not hard enough it will set them up for ridicule.

The end result in both subcultures is a very risk averse approach to social interaction. Highly ritualized group activities help prevent them from standing out in a bad way to their peers while maintaining their own bully pulpit.

So doing a ritualized group dance is safer and more acceptable not just for the people involved but also for the people condoning it.

Will you apply this to all ritualized dancing or just conservatives? Literally all cultures have line dancing or group dancing of some sort. It is fun to do something with a group! Go see who performs the Cha Cha slide? Does that look like a group of conservatives? How about the Payaso de Rodeo? All those conservative country fans! Also, country music dancing isn't "just" line dancing. They also dance the two step, which is fun as poo poo.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, the idea of the "Conservative Rebel" was incubated and hatched by Limbaugh, near as I can tell. "Just saying what everyone else is thinking" or the idea of going against the grain and using political incorrectness as some kind of edgy, punk rock type of schtick where the only similarity is unapologetically saying mean and rude things. I mean....it worked but, like you said, it's reached the point where they're all the same now and just being "edgy" for the sake of it because, to them, if some lib doesn't get triggered ro what have you, then you're doing conservatism and free speech wrong. They seem like they're made in a factory now and they kind of are, really.

It's like when the punk movement started in the 70's. Kids were wearing cheap clothes out of necessity and dyeing and spiking their hair to be non-conformist and elicit some type of shock value. Then, before you knew it, there were Punk Boutiques, teh "look" became expensive and every goddamned "individual" looked just like the next one; some knock off carbon copy Siouxsie or Syd Vicious. Doc Martins became like Air Jordans for Ramones and Clash fans.

The modern conservative RWM branded Republican now is just trying to be more outrageous than the next one but, no, they're not really individualists at all and never have been. With the exception of Rush, probably, who was genuinely a pioneer.

I kind of started this derail but went out of my way to mention that choreographed dance is/can be a great thing and also that maybe I was reaching. I agree with Panfilo, though, that for the conservative mind, the idea is to fit in and ironically strip away the very idea of being rugged individualists. Panfilo also mentioned things like churches and poo poo like that but, to me, it extends to Giant American Flags, camo patterned everything, flaunting guns and gun related imagery, bibles and crosses, etc.

The examples you mentioned are all cultural expressions and, in this case, it's the same thing. Except that "culture" is MAGA and it's touting Rugged Individualism and Independence when it's nothing of the sort.

I think you are putting your own biases into country line dancing. It's just people having fun. Just like the Cha Cha slide, jus like all line dancing. It says nothing about a person.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Is missing the point (unintentionally or intentionally) your gimmick? You did this with firefighters in the Libertarian thread as well.

How am missing the point? People are making generalizations about people based on their dancing type and I think it's stupid.. It's just another type of bigotry. People have been country line dancing long before MAHA.

That firefighter thing must have really hit a nerve. People keep bringing it up. Sorry it hurt you so.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

There is no version of reality where Trump wins Hawaii

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, your mileage may vary, but I grew up in northeast Oklahoma as a kid in the 70s and I knew some tomboys that were simply just girls that liked to do boy stuff.

Things like handle snakes and worms and frogs, and some of them could hit a baseball pretty good.

Some great tree climbers too. And nobody thought anything was weird about any of this, because we were all kids.

Some of them may have grown up to be lesbians, I don’t know. Probably some did grow up to be bigots, which wouldn’t be surprising due to the political makeup of the state.

I doubt all of them did.

Only the Sith and the SA forums deal in absolutes.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

SpeakSlow posted:

Never go Full Blood Libel.

Edging The Holocaust is a great name for a punk album.

It's not, really.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I think we learned from COVID that 1 million dead Americans is child's play and an embarrassing low ball to them.

No one cares because only the elderly died in any great numbers and we are already primed not to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
People who don't help others because they fear the consequences would never have helped anyway.