Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Strategic Tea posted:

One theory is that they're still out there. Some description of that battle have the Numidium wrecking poo poo before the Tribunal render it inactive - the version Tiber Septim uses to conquer the high elves is a pale shadow of it.

Except for one thing - the elves had :krad: sounding mages called mirror logicians trying to repel the invasion. And they're still fighting - in the Summerset Isles, they can still be seen phasing in and out of time and breaking your mind if you stare at them too long. The theory goes that Numidium's timeline diverged in the battle. Its physical form, aka Tiber Septim's giant robot, crashed back down as wreckage. But Walk-Brass - the god the Dwemer built/became - is far more than a piece of metal. With no Tribunal to deactivate it, it's still trapped in time, fighting the Altmer and trying to come back to the real.

If anyone finds this interesting here is a good thing to read

http://tomorrowindtoday.com/t/the-numidiad1.pdf

I love all this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Strategic Tea posted:

Pro fuckin click. What made that timeline go differently? Old Septim just losing his poo poo?

I think the root cause is that Numidium is less powerful in that timeline than it was in the 'canon' timeline. Instead of conquering Tamriel outright, the Numidium struggles and the provinces are able to effectively resist it. The war doesn't end when it should, the arms race winds up breaking the dragon worse than usual, and now the dunmer live on Mars and have netflix but one of them is also Jesus C0DA can happen. Basically, what Cantorsdust said.

Why is that though? I don't know. Maybe the soul powering Walk Brass is different? In the Numidiad, the opening basically states it is Zurin Arctus's soul powering the Numidium. In the 'canon' timeline, it's The Underking's, who may or may not also be Zurin Arctus. I always thought it was great that, 'canonically', there were three to four (Ysmir?) avatars of Lorkhan all active in Tamriel at the same time, who all knew each other and sometimes worked at cross purposes to each other. Maybe this is an exploration of that. Nobody really knows what happened when the Mantella got filled except Tiber Septim, and history is written by the victors. SunAndSpring can probably explain it better than me though.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Strategic Tea posted:

I always figured the Hjalti-Wulfharth-Arctus mantling was due to them basically playing out the creation of Nirn; the fact that they were all Shezzarine just helped. Depending on your interpretation of events, one tricks the other into binding themselves to a soul gem, but is then struck down and bound in themselves, too. And Hjalti orchestrates the whole thing, as Lorkhan did.

That's brilliant. I never caught that.

Atrayonis posted:

Or maybe the Numidiad is what actually happened and Anumidium's historical conquest is what the Jills remade the world after they got done fixing the mess.

I feel like the timelines are too different to be part of the same kalpa. Since Alduin is defeated in the 'canon' timeline, we know that is The Last Kalpa. So The Numidiad has to take place in a previous kalpa, and it would make sense if Akatosh remembered what a shitshow THAT turned out to be and made sure things turned out different in the next one(s). The Talos Apotheosis is just too scary to repeat. It's like the creation in reverse; they cancel each other out like waveforms.

i am tim! posted:

Didn't MK have a couple of hilariously embarrassing meltdowns on Reddit over people calling him out about Vivec killing women by putting his metaphorical dick in their mouth? I know he had one about Dark Brotherhood fans "RUINING MAH COMMUNITY!"

He's a flawed human, but so is everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfX-CMsftWI

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I enjoyed that link. I was skeptical because I am not sure the world needs another person to explain to it why Morrowind was Good. But he's fun to read.

quote:

Don’t get me wrong: the world of The Elder Scrolls V: Valenwood is as beautiful and rich and fully-realized as any I’ve seen in a videogame. But actually experiencing it is a chore that few would relish. All the little obstacles come together: the combat is fiddly and overly lethal, the NPCs speak in accents that are genuinely difficult to parse, the much-vaunted translation minigame wears thin quickly and discourages the player from speaking with anyone but a fellow foreigner, and half of the quests end in anticlimaxes where I can’t tell if I’ve made a mistake, the developer made a mistake, or that’s just the way things are supposed to go. NPCs will tell you that venturing into the three-dimensional treescape without a guide is certain death, and the amazing thing is, they’re not kidding: ill-researched forays end in the player being eaten by monsters I’m not even sure are killable. All very gritty and realistic. My question to the developers is: what’s the point of going to such great pains with your gameworld if we have to go through similar pains to see it? I may sit down and play through this one with a page of cheat codes at the ready, but that can’t be the best way to experience Valenwood. Maybe the modders will save this one yet. (5.5/10)“

aw man

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

ToxicAcne posted:

I kinda wanna replay Oblivion after like 6 years. Is it really that bad as people here say it is (I remember it being fun).

Dude Oblivion was really fun. A lot of internet people just say Oblivion is bad because we followed the pre-release hype campaign closely, and when the game came out we felt Molyneux'd. But despite its flaws Oblivion is a great game. I think it has the best soundtrack out of any TES game for example.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I was thinking about possible TES VI's and i had to do it

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Rough Lobster posted:

I always play a skeevey looking dunmer thief who's based on Tom Waits

*ear pressed to Heart Chamber door* What's he building in there

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
spoilers for Agents are GO! modtalk and also i guess shivering isles ending stuff

Well Dyus would know, right? He was one of my favorite parts of Shivering isles. It really helped balance out the "Chese for everyone!" type stuff, when you meet an impossibly ancient dude who's like "yeah, determinism's real, i know the fate of the entire cosmos because Jyggalag made us figure it out with algebra, and all i want is to die"

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

My Q-Face posted:

Really? I never found dragonbone or dragonscale anything, even with my level 80 character.

I was just playing through Dawnguard again last week, and some of the bosses in the Soul Cairn definitely dropped some dragonbone poo poo. One dropped a dragonbone bow, which was pretty sweet for my non-smithing, never-started-the-main-quest archer.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Lycus posted:

The only whale-bird-snake puzzle that I sorta liked was the one where you had to get the sequence from a book. Other than that, those puzzles were so stupid.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Yngol_Barrow

I remember that one! Up until I read the wiki page just now, I thought in addition to reading the book first, you had to be sitting on the "man" throne and then have a follower flip the switch for it to work. Now, I also only sorta like it.

Anyone remember this puzzle from Daggerfall? After taking hours to fully explore the dungeon and figure out the right combination of switches to drop the beams, your prize is to be immediately fried by a Lich that probably has 15 levels on you.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Cat Mattress posted:

Daggerfall had pretty great old school puzzles, that is to say, frustratingly hard and mostly based on your maze-navigating skills. Contrarily to today's puzzles which are just condescendingly easy. Puzzle design today really is "if it's not blindingly obvious, players are just going to alt-tab to gamefaqs and read a walkthrough, so make all your puzzles super easy".

I also liked how the King of Worms sent messages in Daggerfall. You've got a zombiemail!
Yeah I wish there was some kind of Bethesda Puzzle Difficulty compromise for TESVI. Maybe put optional content behind semirandomized, superhard Daggerfall type puzzles, and leave the snake/whale/eagle type puzzles for the main quests. But to be fair I thought Skyrim did have some nice puzzles in the Aetherium Shards quest.

TESII Mannimarco was truly a pioneer. And then you've got Raminus Polus sending Lex a Dremoragram in TESIV. Goddam wizards.

Cat Mattress posted:

And that's why you made a custom class with absorb magic as a feature. That and also only using "area at range" spells and using them in close quarters so you're in their blast radius and you absorb your own spell's magicka back so that you get unlimited casting.

Ah piss now I have to figure out how to run Daggerfall in dosbox again

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

armoredgorilla posted:

Nah just go here and download daggerfallsetup.exe

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

Woah thanks man! It works right out the box and some of the audio bugs I remember are fixed. Sky Shadowing you should put that link in the OP. Also check out this pimp sweater

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Man Whore posted:

Never forget that once upon a time Bethesda devs actually posted on SA

I feel like I already posted this, but if you are old enough, you may remember a frontpage article where JeffK interviewed Todd Howard just prior to the release of Morrowind.

And then a little while later, Lowtax/JeffK invented the concept of a Let's Play, using morrowind screenshots.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Bholder posted:

I will even say that the main plot wasn't that great either, I mean the story is dead simple: Big evil guy returns and only the reincarnated hero can stop him who was foretold by the prophecy, surprisingly this hero is you, you stop the evil and everything lives happily ever after (until Oblivion happens). The interesting part was the setting and the background but the narrative itself is bog standard and not exactly ground breaking.

Yeah dude. Blah blah protagonist, antagonist, conflict, same old bullcrap. Oh and don't even get me started on music - hundreds of years and they still just keep reusing the same twelve notes over and over? Basically, music's for dweebs and I don't see what the big deal is

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Berke Negri posted:

Maybe one day I'll actually stick around long enough in a Morrowind playthrough to actually get to and do Tribunal, usually I work my way through the main quest and maybe dink around in Solstheim a bit but that's usually about it.
I liked Tribunal a lot. If you were at all interested in Morrowind's story, then I feel like Tribunal is like, required reading. It continues the unreliable narrator, everyone-is-lying-to-you kind of delivery from the main game, but by the end of Tribunal you have personally witnessed some additional Extremely Important poo poo for the Dunmer and Tamriel. The Bloodmoon gameplay was much better, but story-wise? you stop a daedroth from doing a thing that he's just going to do again later? I don't even remember.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I like it (e: Miraak stealing your dragon souls) because it interferes with the core mechanics and establishes Miraak as a credible threat through gameplay.

Do you get the souls back when you kill him?
Yeah that was a really good gameplay decision by Bethesda. Totally made me laugh and say "Oh, you bastard" without taking me out of the game. Gives you a reason to go after the guy that's not just, "He's the last quest in this chain"

You do get your dragon souls back, but I had to look that up because at that point in the game, you've got dragons falling out your rear end in a top hat so I didn't really notice.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Shbobdb posted:

Is this a joke?

That got me too dude. Node was that you that had the Purple Link avatar or am I confusing you with another curmudgeon

i am tim! posted:

I figure that it's the PC's choice when the time comes by virtue of being a Capital H Hero or Dragonborn. You can meet other Dragonborns in Sovngard so I doubt Akatosh has a valid claim or even cares. Since all the Daedric Princes are fine with you pledging your already-pledged-soul to get their artifact, we can reason that they might just be gambling for the chance to get your big hero dragon soul for bragging rights or something.

Besides, there's a whole quest that amounts to scamming Hircine out of a pledged soul and sending it to Sovngard, so they probably don't have as much power in the matter than they care to admit.

Yeah this. Plus Skyrim Guy is a shezzarine for sure. So you're probably going to go chill on that big throne in Sovngard that was suspiciously empty when you went there in the main quest.

e:f,b sort of

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

i am tim! posted:

It's not like anyone is calling you The Fox or any of the other given signs

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Ghost_of_Old_Hroldan

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Yeah, I know what you mean because the Akatosh - Lorkhan relationship is weird and ambiguous. Because Lorkhan and Akatosh were enemies, right? I mean it's in the Creation myth that Auriel (proto-Akatosh) made Trinimac kill Lorkhan for conning the Aedra into creating Mundus. Killed Lorkhan, a god! So why do Akatosh's and Lorkhan's goals seem to align so much in Oblivion and Skyrim, if Akatosh is fundamentally an Anuic elven god and Lorkhan is the Padomaic soul of humanity?

But what i am tim! is talking about is, is that the first real Dragon Break was the result of a ritual by an Alessian order called the Marukhati Selectives to purge elven aspects from the god we now know as Akatosh, and they sort of turned him into an echo of Lorkhan. The event itself is referenced in in-game books like Where Were You When the Dragon Broke? from Morrowind, and expanded on in Oblivion stuff, but it didn't become really "clear" what happened until lore from The Elder Scrolls Online, which I didn't play. If anyone is curious they can look up the dance of the Marukhati Selectives.

Like everything else in TES lore there are contradictory accounts all over the place, so I do understand those that think that Skyrim Guy is an aspect of Akatosh because there is evidence on both sides, I just think the in-game case is stronger on the Shezzarine side.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Orv posted:

And then the attacking armies are four dudes who you are twenty levels higher than and get beaten to death by the bare-fisted villagers.

Or more likely the ten archers you paid 1,000 gold each for that never move or animate until an enemy comes into their line of fire.

I would accept this, as long as Bethesda allows me to appoint M'aiq as the village hetman.

"This one has heard of another settlement that needs your help. But it is too far away, and you are a busy individual, so M'aiq pretends he heard nothing."

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I kinda figured the next one would be for VR? I thought T-Hows said at E3 they didn't have anything done on TES6 because the technology wasn't there yet.

I'd still buy Skyrim 2 though. Put that on VR and have some naked elfs in it and I'd probably starve to death

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Gloomy Rube posted:

I've been playing Oblivion recently (Setting the difficulty lower to overcome the hp sponges) (Wish I knew about the +5 mod) and I ran into Black Rock Caverns and had a really fun time in that dungeon. It had a secret third zone and it was fun stumbling upon it. Is there any other dungeons in any of the games like this? (Preferably not quest related, of course)

That's rad, I don't think I ever found that area. I do remember some fun random dungeons in Oblivion like Lost Boy Cavern, but your wiki link really reminds me of a dungeon from Morrowind. In an unremarkable bar in an unremarkable canton in Vivec City, there's an unremarkable dude who asks you to buy him a beer. If you do, he gives you a key and a vague idea of where to look for the door it opens.

It's a crazy-long hidden staircase in a hidden tomb that leads to a hidden Skeleton Hedge Maze that conceals a viking ship burial chamber with some of the best gear in the game. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ennbjof%27s_Nord_Burial

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Four Score posted:

Nah, Dragonborn is just a mortal born with a dragon's soul per a blessing passed down from Akatosh. I mean, that's the prevailing theory, which kind of falls apart because Miraak was just a dick and Tiber Septim/Talos was a regicide. Then again, the gods have always been pretty poo poo at picking mortal champions :shrug:

So many quests in Skryim wind up with you mantling Tiber Septim or otherwise duplicating the actions of some other shezarrine. Nazi elfs with plans to unmake the world roll up, tell everyone Talos aint poo poo, and it's just coincidence that you suddenly appear to oppose them? Nah man it's you, you're the missing god

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Doc Hawkins posted:

Speaking of Caius, on a recent play-through, I read the book under his bed: War of the First Council. I must have done this before, and if it's the first history book you ever read in the game, you don't have the context to notice anything odd, but my mind was blown when I noticed it doesn't talk about "the" Dwemer but about House Dwemer, being the other "secular Dunmer house," along with Dagoth. Maybe this is just supposed to be an outlander scholar painting with too broad a brush, but it makes a lot of sense to me: the Dwemer were a totally separate culture from the Chimer, and only a separate race in as much as for mer, the former triggers the latter (see the chimer->dunmer transition and whatever's up with Orcs). There are other books which imply cultural interchange between Dwemer and ashlanders, there's the dunmer strongholds with their unique architecture and magic, and some Dwemer books were written in Aldmeris. I think the Dwemer may be best understood as a vanished fragment of Dunmer culture.

I think the two main theories on the Appearance of the Dwarves were that the Velothi exodus produced both the Chimer and Dwemer, or that the Dwemer were somehow already there when the Chimer showed up. If we believe something like the first one, then yeah, the author isn't that far off (except that there were no 'dunmer' until after the dwemer had already vanished). That book's probably intentionally placed there, to show you what your n'wah outlander character might already 'know' about morrowind's history.

But that is definitely open-source lore. You can see a lot of the main morrowind devs arguing about it in some forums roleplay with the fans, here:
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/redguard-forum-madness

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Wolfsheim posted:

Of course there's no way this accounts for every possible quest/etc, so I'm looking forward to dying of frostbite during some unskippable cutscene because I forgot to eat some soup before Sheogorath started talking.
Start a new game, die of exposure on the wagon ride to Helgen

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How does the worship of Talos as a Divine correspond to the Aurbis wheel? He's not on there, so he shouldn't count, right?

Talos represents Lorkhan, the missing god. Each of the eight spokes in the wheel represents an Aedra who gave up most of their own essence and power in order to create the world. Lorkhan didn't give anything up, so he's not a spoke; but he did convince the other eight to sacrifice themselves in the first place, so you might say that he's the only reason the wheel even exists and he's like, the hub or something.

But the daedra were around for the whole Lorkhan thing, and they taught Vivec and Mankar Camoran Lorkhan's Big Secret: if you turn that wheel sideways, you get an "I". That's CHIM, and that's why Lorkhan bamboozled his friends into creating the Aurbis in the first place - so that any mortal (like Tiber Septim) could become a god (like Talos) through the power of his own ego.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Agents are GO! posted:

Lets not forget that Lorkhan is the god of Space, and Akatosh is the god of Time. Remember what physics teaches us about space and time...

Yeah but I just think exploring the difference between them is more compelling than a big Scooby-Doo reveal of "It looks like Lorkhan was just old man Akatosh all along!"

I'd rather have the whole Gray Maybe concept, where the distinction between opposite things in TES is what gives them meaning. Otherwise it's just Akatoshes all the way down, like in this excellent post which I abbreviated below but you should click and read the whole thing:

SunAndSpring posted:

So if you think about it, the plot of Skyrim is the following:

Akatosh, who is also Lorkhan, sends his soul into a human, Miraak, to stop Alduin, who is Akatosh, from destroying the world. Miraak, however, is a lazy gently caress and doesn't do it, instead joining up with Hermaeus Mora, who is left-overs of Akatosh. So centuries later, Akatosh chooses another person to share his soul, the Last Dragonborn, to stop Akatosh from enslaving/devouring mankind because Akatosh is currently serving Akatosh's left-overs instead of Akatosh, and secretly Akatosh is planning to become Akatosh. Luckily for everyone, Akatosh stops Akatosh from achieving his goals.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
For gameplay I like the Dawnguard expansion, especially the Forgotten Vale stuff. Nightcaller Temple was also pretty cool the first time.

For story, it's got to be the part after you take Esbern to Alduin's Wall. I loved the meeting with Paarthurnax. Arngeir is interesting in this part too - he reveals he's on Alduin's side and literally refuses to help you stop him until he gets bitched out by the other Greybeards.

This was probably posted already, but here is a cool resource for reading TES NPC dialogue. you can search by game/character in the upper left, my bookmark is just set to Paarthy by default: http://content3.uesp.net/oblivion/cs/cslist.php?game=sr&formid=0x0003c57c

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Kamrat posted:

It's been a long while but couldn't you do all the quests without casting a single spell in Oblivion?

Most of them, but one of my favorite quests was the one where they send you to an Ayleid ruin that the Mage's Guild is excavating, and you have to cast certain spells in order to progress, but you have to work together with this other guy to translate bits of their language in order to figure out which spells to cast.

One good thing about going back to Oblivion after playing Skyrim: I feel like the NPCs have more satisfying reactions to you, the player. Obviously it's cool the first time somebody addresses you as The Hero of Kvatch, but what I really mean was that if you have a high Disposition rating with an NPC (through your heroic deeds, or buttering them up) then when they notice you nearby they will get a big goofy grin on their face. If you look at your character in third person then you can see your own face reacting as well, and I really missed that in Skyrim.

Worst Oblivion playthrough I ever had was one where I accidentally stole Martin's horse early in the game, and from that point on he would scowl at me whenever he saw me. I'm sorry sean bean please don't be disappointed in me any more

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Interesting. I guess on the plus side that guy will make some money now, but I was hoping Bethesda would have hired him. That mod was an absolute slam-dunk over Bethesda's writing and quest design. They added two more studios worth of employees, and didn't feel like picking a guy like that up?

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Paging Hayt to this thread to tell us if Emil Pagliarulo is writing Starfield

If so, will Todd at least contract Kirkbride to write some obscure in-game holopamphlets so that I can argue about them in the inevitably gassed SA thread

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Are you thinking of this? It's actually from morrowind though

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_worn_and_weathered_note

Nevar forget https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/morrowindintarview/index.htm

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Cat Mattress posted:

In old Ultima games, you had to type what your character was saying. Of course the engine running NPC dialogue was not exactly Turing-test passing, so basically you just had to type keywords. This is the inspiration behind the Morrowind system, you get a list of keywords you can try with the character, and through dialogue you can learn more keywords. It's a pretty clever take on the old system.

I think the pinnacle of those early conversation systems was probably Ultima Underworld - remember the part where you had to learn how to speak Lizardman from the mute guy in the cell? That was rad. Daggerfall's conversation system was pretty interesting too.

Anyways I like text as much as the next guy but yeah, there's no way Bethesda goes back to it ever again. I just hope TES6 doesn't use Fallout 4's conversation system (HATE MUDCRABS) and I'm real curious to see how they do it in Starfield.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Here is todd howard in an hour-long interview/podcast from 7 months ago i didnt know about. It's not really specific to elder scrolls, it doesn't reveal anything about future bethesda titles, and todd is in kind of a mildly relaxed "PR mode" for it, but i thought it was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gMQLZIxEw

highlights:
- todd reveals most of the Daggerfall books were written by fans from the CompuServe fan community
- todd says that he now cringes at the rotating pie slices Speechcraft minigame from Oblivion
- todd talks about how his kid started to play Skyrim on Nintendo Switch and then got way into mods
- todd openly admits a lot of the lore goes over his head

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I had an uncle who thought he was St Jiub

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
*jiggles a physics object back and forth* They hate this.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

NikkolasKing posted:

As I recall it was mainly Destruction magic people didn't like in Skyrim. I used Conjuration a lot and it owned, had my Atronachs wreck everybody.

Yeah my first Skyrim guy was a mage and I really disliked how he never did as much damage as he should, especially as I got more levels. Later on I had a p satisfying destruction mage guy, but I had to mainline Destruction at the cost of basically everything else. I put almost every level up into Magicka, and I had to take every Destruction perk as soon as it was available (I think I still wound up with some in Restoration and some in Speech though) and I was pretty effective in combat up to like level 30.

Also had a couple other mages that went full Illusion, and they were fun at first, but they get pretty samey once you get the higher level spells and don't have to fight anything anymore ever. Maybe a random death here and there from a ninja sabercat that sneaks up behind you and one-shots you.

I forget who posted it, it was in the other Skyrim thread I believe, somebody had a screenshot of them about to jump into the portal to Sovngard and they had their combat stats up and they had 0 kills. I always thought that was rad as hell.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I have had a lot of problems with the Meridia quest too, but I play on xbox, so every time I do the finale I have like a 50/50 chance of having to reload a save because something got too hosed up. Last time I did it I wound up with two Dawnbreakers though, which was pretty rad. I think if you accidentally shout it out of its little ornamental stand during the fight, then the game just spawns a second one in there after you kill the guy.

mulligan posted:

- The ring stealing quest was a rush because I'm roleplaying basically as Thors Snorresson (Giant viking dad from Vinland Saga) so all muscle and two hand swords and no grace whatsoever... but I managed to do it flawlessly (after many save->loads) even while a cat lady keep me on her sights the entire time.
Nice. I've had characters in TESIII, IV and V based on characters from icelandic sagas, including my first ever morrowind character.

I didn't remember your guy from either of the greenland sagas, so I googled it and I think it is actually in reference to an anime. I would have killed for an animated version of something like Njal's saga or Egil's saga when I was first getting into them... the icelander sagas are so well suited for comic books or episodic tv that I'm amazed it took this long for somebody to adapt them. Sagas loving rule. Except for Heimskringla which is like super dry, sorry norway. I prefer my 800 year old historical epics to be full of berserk werewolves, laconic warrior-poets, and courtroom drama

Anyways I too am enjoying your first impressions, keep posting!

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

mulligan posted:

Quick question: How do you guys manage having so many quests avaliable? Sometimes I feel overwhelmed because I have like 300 things to do and I kinda fear missing out of cool quests.
Skryim owns but that's one of its actual legit problems. At least the quest log is fairly well designed so you can see everything at a glance, turn markers on and off, etc. But with a first character you want to go everywhere and talk to everybody, so it gets pretty ridiculous in there.

For me, I just accept that my first character in every TES game is going to wind up doing a million billion quests all the time for everybody, so I do. Then on later characters I use the knowledge I gained to streamline what quests I take based on what kind of character I'm playing. It's rear end-backwards that to really roleplay you need foreknowledge of what all the quest outcomes are, but it emerges from bethesda's design where the PC doesn't have a lot of meaningful choice within quests themselves, so you have to instead choose what quests you do, if that makes sense.

Or I mean you could just turn people down when they ask you for poo poo and you're busy. You can back out of almost any conversation and it'll be right there waiting for you next time you're in town. The only time-sensitive quest I can think of is the Windhelm murderer one, where at a certain point you need to figure it out before more people get killed up unnecessarily. Other than that I don't think there's any consequence for putting stuff off.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I thought that was mostly MKult fanwank nonsense. They do want to control the world, etc, but the whole "meta narrative involving the destruction of all of the towers to unmake reality" isn't something that's officially stated in any of the games.

I always point to Paarthurnax's dialogue when you try to enlist his aid against Alduin. The important knowledge to have before this conversation is that when Alduin eats the world, the world does not truly end, it only begins again, as a kind of reset to the timeline. Thus you have Paarthy here (and Arngeir a bit before this) supporting the argument that Alduin succeeding and starting a new kalpa is natural and preferable to the unnatural end of all creation. Keep in mind that Arngeir and Paarthurnax are probably two of the smartest people in the game and have the most "meta" knowledge about what is going on.

The bolding is mine

0x000556db Alduin believes that he will prevail, with good reason. Rok mul.
0x000556db And he is no fool. Ni mey, rinik gut nol. Far from it. He began as the wisest and most far-seeing of us all.

0x0005586f If you can see your destiny clearly, your sight is clearer than mine.
0x0005586f Dahmaan - remember, Alduin also follows his destiny, as he sees it.
0x0005586f But, I bow before your certainty. In a way I envy you. The curse of much knowledge is often indecision.

0x00055771 Ro fus... maybe you only balance the forces that work to quicken the end of this world.
0x00055771 Even we who ride the currents of Time cannot see past Time's end. Wuldsetiid los tahrodiis.
0x00055771 Those who try to hasten the end, may delay it. Those who work to delay the end, may bring it closer.

0x0003fa13 Pruzah. As good a reason as any. There are many who feel as you do, although not all.
0x0003fa13 Some would say that all things must end, so that the next can come to pass.
0x0003fa13 Perhaps this world is simply the Egg of the next kalpa? Lein vokiin? Would you stop the next world from being born?

0x0003f9e1 True... But qostiid - prophecy - tells what may be, not what should be.
0x0003f9e1 Qostiid sahlo aak. Just because you can do a thing, does not always mean you should.
0x0003f9e1 Do you have no better reason for acting than destiny? Are you nothing but a plaything of dez... of fate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

John F Bennett posted:

That sounds like the dark age of gaming.
Kind of, yeah. I guess I saw Daggerfall's dungeon design as coming from TES's roots in Dungeons & Dragons. From what I've seen, a lot of the old D&D dungeons were similarly obtuse. Progress might entirely depend on something dumb like interacting with a random animal skull on the floor.

I didn't play Wizardry, but I remember some similar design from Ultima Underworld where I got one of Cabirus's totems from playing a tune on a flute in some random hidden spot that seemed significant, but was pretty surprised when it turned out to be the actual thing I needed to do to progress. How did I know to do that? How many people got stuck because they never figured that out? It's a different kind of fun than Skyrim, that's for sure.