Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I was spamming my magitek cannon at the Ishgard gate last night and I forgot to teleport back to the goblet before the servers went down, I hope I don't end up in some sort of overcrowded zone purgatory when I try to log in tomorrow. :ohdear: Also kind of regretting preordering off Amazon since it looks like I won't even get the code so I can download the HW update until tomorrow.

I'm thinking about finally getting CNJ up to whatever level gets my SCH stoneskin now that you get a 100% experience bonus. I can't wait to be that guy pulling all the new classes queued for LLDR into Tam Tara and Sastasha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

FaintlyQuaint posted:

BCoB wasn't 'rad'.

Three out of the five turns were awful. One was a corridor maze (though pick your own boss mechanics was neat), one was totally worthless running around for no purpose other than to extend the amount of time you spent in there, and the other was an elevator shaft of blandness on top of reused enemy models.

Turn 1 and Turn 5 in BCoB were cool from an aesthetic standpoint, though.

It was the intros and the theme that made it for me. When the camera swoops down and says like "900 YALMS DEEP - THE IMPERIAL BAHAMUT MINES" Alexander seems like it's supposed to be the same thing,: You're fighting through the inside of an ancient robot that lives under a lake. But the goblins kind of take over the story. And the Void Ark at least had some build up with it moving about the sky in 3.0

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I tried Ravana Ex back when the expansion came out with some goons and we never quite got through it but I remember it involved all sorts of complicated choreography with running in circles and intersecting W's and things. Is it still like that? I want to beat it but I figure I'll need to re-memorize that stuff from somewhere.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I got my scholar hotkeys arranged so I only have to use the modifiers on some pet skills. On a laptop keyboard it would probably suck trying to touch type the F keys though.

I never hotkeyed dissipation because I still don't know what it's used for

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you've never watched a fight go completely to poo poo and thought "boy, three extra lustrates/thousands of free mana and massively boosted shields would be real nice right now," you're either playing content below your skill level or much, much better than me.

I haven't had a chance to try out the extreme primals after Ravana yet, but even in normal instances/trials with bad parties, it just never occurred to me where it would be useful since I thought I would be screwed most of the time needing resummon the fairy in a fight that was already going really badly, probably without swiftcast or any aetherflow stacks left. Since it is apparently useful I've stuck it on the 'H' key (for Help) to give it a go in the future.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I think they could repurpose that office from the anniversary event. Anyone considering purchasing a jump potion would have to sit down in game for a 30 minute consultation with a virtual Yoshi-P to go over potential downsides (social alienation, psychological problems, not using cleric stance..) before being allowed to complete their purchase.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Klades posted:

I just did The Feast for the first time.

Is it supposed to be 16 people ineffectually slapping each other in the face with pool noodles? Because that's what it felt like. I would run face first into the entire enemy group and still not die because just one of our healers could outdo the entire damage output of the opposing team (and vice versa)
PVP might be fun if they banned healing spells altogether.

The attackers have to coordinate on focusing one target down and/or disable a healer or it's really difficult to kill anyone. At least, that's what it feels like to me from playing 6 or 7 games with a Scholar

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm really bad at understanding these trailers. I watched the whole thing and thought the lady in red was a dancer, the hobo guy was some sort of mystery punching class, and the guy at the end was the red mage. But apparently the whole thing was just showing Samurais?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm sad about them removing cleric stance but maybe they'll add more things to do while healing that's less mechanically janky to replace it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Is this game's Bard job fun/rewarding? How Bard-y does it get?

It's more of an archer that also has music buffs. You can't beat people over the head with a bagpipe or anything, so it depends on how much you like arrow shootin'

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not like you're losing any sort of interesting gameplay when cut you CS as a stance. It was always a jerry-rigged solution towards making it so you can actually hurt things and basically revolved around pushing it once to hurt things and once to heal things.

It added some excitement to the game when you accidentally double tapped before a tank buster.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, to be honest, I don't think Protect adds anything. You cast it and then forget about it and the only time it's relevant again is if someone dies... at which point they're already getting a "weakness" debuff anyway.

I've never actually noticed when I forget Protect while healing. It's only when I can't figure out why my party is refusing to start running an instance or someone complains in chat.

nuru posted:

Already hearing from WHMs about how the cleric change will relegate them to the dumpster in favor of all SCH all the time.

I heard the same claims for Heavensward.

Yoshida is trying to pull an Uber and automate our jobs away. Come Stormsward release the servers will be packed with unemployed healers lazing about the Golden Saucer.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 23, 2017

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Everyone's VAs changed in HW. Nearly all of them change for the better, Alphinaud was jarring but ends up being real good, and tragically, the one character whose voice gets straight up worse is Merlwyb. :(

For some reason I associate British accents in Japanese games with super low budget dubbing, so it took me a long time to warm up to the new voices. I'm not sure which developer's fault that is, probably some bad Playstation 2 acting from a long time ago.

Failboattootoot posted:

As a vet player, the main thing I want that might spit in the eye of new players is a god drat dungeon blacklist. Let me never have to step foot into 3-5 dungeons ever again. I have been playing this game for 3+ years now and I am so over copperbell mines (and sastasha, totorak, halatali and tam tara, in that order).

Yeah, this is why I almost never do the leveling roulette anymore (unless it's with other high-ish level FC members). It felt like all I would ever get was tam-tara, sastasha, and copperbell

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I assumed the whole point of the relic grinds was to funnel players with the highest tolerance for grinding into low level dungeons and FATEs in case there aren't enough players doing the roulettes or running around the overworld. I've never actually tried any of the relic grinds though so maybe they send you somewhere else now

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Is there any utility to doing to GS event, or is it kinda self contained "Do GS event to get more GS stuff and maybe some cosmetic fluff?" This is starting from never touching GS.

Also, what the gently caress happened in here?

Murdering old PCs/PS4s in the Golden Saucer last night was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxpgWgMu0k

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Waci posted:

Plenary Indulgence seems vaguely interesting. Too bad that's pretty much all I can say for the white mage changes. Why didn't they make Divine Benison scale with the number of lilies or something, instead of adding a pity "guess you get a class resource meter too" gauge for a CD reduction effect that resets when you use any skill benefiting from it?

Maybe they don't want to mess with WHM too much since there are a lot of people play it because it's like, the default make-big-heals healer and making it too complicated would be sort of like when they made Bards stand still in Heavensward

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

How hardcore would I have to be to get AST from 40 to 60 before Stormblood arrives? I was thinking I could just repeatedly queue for whatever the highest dungeon is and maybe PotD when the highest dungeon is something bad. I mostly play SCH right now but I'm tired of the steampunk academic look and the fairy getting in the way of my camera, even if the new skills sound cool.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I hope those Eeyore looking creatures from Advanced make it in, they had the best hats

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I was sort of hoping they would somehow reconnect the old cities together now that the PS3s are being booted out and they looked like they were originally connected anyway, but I guess it's only the new city that's set up in a single loading area.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

From what I remember blitzball felt pretty slow and unresponsive in Final Fantasy X and was already a big grind so I don't see any obstacles to sticking it in an MMO

Also being able to recruit random NPCs like in 10 would be cool

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone else think the new areas looked really rough in these preview screenshots? Not sure if it's because the author had a knack for finding the worse views possible or if everything was still missing whenever they were doing media access: https://gamerescape.com/2017/05/31/hands-on-with-final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood/

I just remember thinking everything looked awesome as hell when Heavensward was coming out as opposed to mostly brown.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I don't even know what this is about but I guess my avatar was getting kind of old and raggedy anyway

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

There's supposed to be some sort of "Jumping Potion" (engrish term?) coming out with Stormblood if you want to pay $25 to skip the previous quests

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

But then you go into Baelsar's and a lot of parties die on the first full chainpull (or even just the double pull) because those Sagittarii are magnificent bastards.

But also they disabled the last chain pull in Sohm Al HM (the last mob pack now can only spawn when the second last group is fully dead.)

So these AoE efforts might be aimed at people trying to do Baelsar's shenanigans rather than Sohm Al HM ones.

I would like to see more areas with untankable killer adds like the first type if they want to limit pulls, it's a lot more fun (at least for healing) than being stuck on that treadmill elevator.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I was recently reading the archived thread and the reactions from people to the early dungeons/P3-4 beta and I think new players should have a chance to react like that too. Suffice it to say the early dungeons weren't exactly being described as "different colored caves". Folks seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit!

I mean if they want to skip it all that's fine, but they could at least give it a little chance first maybe?

My brother got into the game a few months ago and it was fun watching his reactions to the low level dungeons and quests, even though he plays a lot of MMOs. I don't really like the pre-Brayflox dungeons anymore but I think that's because they get old when you have to go back from level 60 to having no skills with randoms in the roulette. It was also fun to watch someone else play through the early game again since I couldn't remember anything that happened in the story and I'm probably never going to make a new character to just to replay the story quests.

Firstborn posted:

Trip report:

Still on trial with my Lancer. Did the MSQs mostly (a few FATEs, but not much) up to level 15, and then did the dungeon. Everyone in there was super nice, the dungeon was cool, and had a blast. Am I misunderstanding the "rotation" at this level? I basically just did the move that made me hit harder for 15% then spammed the other move that has more potency on 2 casts than the stupid combo they start with. Used the stun since it's off GCD apparently, and tabbed around and used the slow move on everything.

Not sure about Lancers specifically, but the DPS rotations all start off extremely simple since the early game is sort of designed for people who have never touched an MMO before. Generally the complexity ramps up much faster as you pass level 30

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 8, 2017

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Geckoagua posted:

Wife and I coming back after stopping shortly after Heavensward, maybe like the first zone or two completed. Most of my classes are 50 at least (only a few for her). Do I need to start a new character? I'm kind of worried about walking into a dungeon and getting put over a barrel because I'm not used to the new meta of pulling the entire place at once or something.

I guess the upshot would be I could make it on Excalibur?

I've been running a lot of low level dungeons to grind up my Astrologer, and the average person doing leveling dungeons (everything pre-60) is pretty slow right now, and there are a lot of new/returning player icons. Yesterday I got a tank who was RP walking before every pack of mobs for some reason, and I've also seen my entire party get lost in the instance with the frog cliff, DPS failing to kill the plumes/nails in time in normal mode primals, and pretty much anything else that could go wrong.

So far I haven't witnessed any party meltdowns, so I think you're safe as long as you can press more than 2 buttons and navigate from one end of an instance to the other.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tanks are the least played by a pretty large margin. Roulette queues as a tank for me are generally instant. As a healer I usually have a 5-10 minute wait. DPS are a bit longer, maybe 10-20 depending on the day.

There seem to be a decent number of people playing tanks in the game, just not in DF queues. I've always suspected that they're stealing our DPS jobs and then using the ill-gotten tomestones to buy tank gear

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Here's another weird Final Fantasy promotion, or I guess appropriate given impending release of BLOODSTORM?

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/979/square-enix-joins-the-red-cross-to-launch-final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

No poo poo, but no other MMO I can think of goes down for 24 hours for an expansion. WoW is pretty seamless these days. Others do a normal maintenance which takes a couple to a few hours. 24 hours is extreme for the industry.

Probably because they're still working on top of whatever was built back in 2010.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

So where's the hip spot to log tonight? At the Rising Stones if you want to continue the MSQ and get to SAM and all that?

I always log off somewhere relatively empty like the goblet or an inn room in case something goes horribly wrong with the servers. This is entirely based on server problems causing entire continents to temporarily vanish in the original World of Warcraft, I'm not sure if MMOs even work like that anymore

I still haven't decided which healer to use for SB. I'm tired of SCH so I was planning to use AST instead, but now I'm tempted to be contrarian and use WHM instead. It would be easier to decide if we got full job descriptions before SB launch

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Countblanc posted:

all this normie health advice is making me sick. disgusting.

I'm going with a few heaping spoonfuls of amphetamines stirred into a pint of vintage Code Red, followed by a chaser of black coffee and a pack of cigarettes (to aid digestion, of course)

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The changes to the weakness and brink of death penalties seems strange to me. It seems like instead of having a really obvious reason you shouldn't die as DPS (no health) now people will just keep going until they fail enrage timers instead? Maybe they're really cranking up the raid wide damage and it was too difficult to balance the old penalties or something

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

It's less punishing for people learning mechanics. I assume it's more targeted at casuals then savage. It kinda sucks dying to a new mechanic/fight, getting picked up, then dying more because your already low health is now lower. Hard to learn/enjoy a fight if you spend it all on the floor.

I hadn't thought about it from this perspective, but ti definitely will make it easier to learn new fights without going into a death spiral (even if you fail them because of no DPS later)

The marker for esuna-able debuffs is going to be really good too, I still attempt to esuna unremovable debuffs all the time right now

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I realize that as their audience also encompasses countries that do not use a western alphabet, they couldn't go on to E or F without actually risking that someone wouldn't know what E or F was.

But it would have amused me greatly if they had gone A B X Y L R.

I guess this way lets you set up complicated strategies for PF groups where you can tell people to run to different spots by symbol or color (now that we have two reds and two yellows). That's the only thing I can think of

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Even the pre-2.0 conversions like Aurum Vale? I would rather do almost anything than AV.

I actually enjoy Aurum Vale. Coin Counter is pretty cool, the other bosses are decent as well, and I like the tension that comes from all the poison goo and having to be careful about how you pull. It doesn't feel painfully long like Toto Rak or Cutter's Cry either.

It also stands out to me for being the first time (and the only time I can remember) that I was kicked from a DF party when I accidentally ran my newbie Scholar into a pack of mobs and then backpedaled into a geyser and aggroed the rest of the first room like some sort of Mr Bean incident

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

30 minutes sounds right for an at level first time pubbie run.

This is what most of my leveling roulette runs have been for the past month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Skaw posted:

To clarify with the Gaze Stack, you should also look away even if you intend NOT to stack. the gaze effect extends about twice as far away as the ring is wide. The ring is only for the stack damage the targeted player is about to suffer and not an indicator of how far reaching its Terror gaze effect is. It's not a very good marker overall because of that. It's not so important for Ranged or Healers(honestly everyone should be on his rear end anyway until he absorbs Scathach since it's the safest place to be,) but it's super duper important for the Main Tank to realize this.

I stopped even trying to stack on that thing when playing healer in pub groups because it felt like more of a risk to be the only one and get myself killed than having to resurrect the tank

• Locked thread