Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

Page one and I already can't decide which is the biggest trainwreck in the thread

Leaning toward the cuck wedding one, and I'm not sure whether it makes it more or less weird that the wife isn't really "into" it and is just kinda going along with it

I feel like in terms of real life consequences being pregnant with the child of an insanely irresponsible alcoholic is probably much worse than being engaged to a humiliation fetishist who is escalating and seems fixated on the ultimate opportunity to gratify himself. You can actually sort of "solve" the second problem with some serious and open communication with your partner to figure out if you actually are on the same page in terms of long term commitment and values, and break up if that's not the case- stressful and not without consequences, but you should be able to boil it down to a yes/no answer for yourself and you're still at a stage where you can make a clean break. On the other hand the pregnant poster already knows her boyfriend is a shithead, there's nothing she can do to make him less of a shithead, and she's almost certainly going to have him in her life forever because of the coming child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Calling the police on a sibling would certainly be my last resort...I imagine threatening to would be a better move.

Yeah there seem like multiple pretty obvious ways to escalate this before needing to resort to the authorities.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Eagle friend is cool, but it does mean if they live together they won't be able to have pets. Or babies. Certainly something to think about if she's looking for a long term relationship.

The baby thing is a potentially legitimate concern depending on the house but I'm pretty sure the eagle already counts as a way sweeter "pet" than she'd be able to have otherwise

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Danaru posted:

I know it's a common trend but god drat why would you share a relationship gripe with a shitton of people online and not even try telling your SO first

What is the expected outcome here

because this seems like an issue where it would be useful to have a baseline idea of how much other people are willing to do for their partners and what they expect in return before starting a discussion that could open a can of worms in terms of relative reciprocity/potentially cutting out parts of her sex life that she enjoys?

plus it can be useful to talk things like through with a neutral/disinterested party first to figure out exactly what aspects you find distasteful and how strong your aversion is- i.e. the issue may be resolvable in different ways if her objection is rooted in the power-dynamics/aesthetics being a turn off vs. her simply not liking to pump away while not receiving stimulation (i.e. try a feeldoe or something), and if it's genuine disgust vs. a simple lack of interest

sometimes people just need to talk/write this stuff out to figure out how they really feel

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

well yes, but its theoretically possible for someone to do it for more or less good reasons too!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

my fiance kept a hatchet in her trunk for the longest time, depending on the part of the country you're in having something to cut branches with is often a pretty good idea

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dreddout posted:

Jfc, my sides!

On another note, as a guy who likes playing support/medic classes in mutliplayer games, it disturbs the hell out of me that the person I'm healing may be jacking off because of said healing.

:nws:
I'm pretty sure you're the one who is supposed to be jacking off

Bonus LoL-related content
:nws:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

I would be concerned for her safety on a base animal level.

Because an anonymous video posted to a tube site represents an ongoing threat to her safety, or because she's exhibiting poor decision making that might eventually lead her to grief?

Because expecting him to be concerned about either of those things is wildly, wildly unreasonable on your part under the circumstances.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

Guessing the 210 lb dude is actually noisy af when he walks around and his previous neighbors were too scared to confront him about it

Given that they directly filed an HOA complaint rather than speaking to their neighbors, almost certainly keyed cars, and filed a false police report I'd be very disinclined to assume that the new neighbors also have reasonable expectations about noise level in a semi-shared environment like an apartment complex.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

54 40 or gently caress posted:

This guy has to be leaving something out. She's getting sweet pay, benefits ets and though I'm sure it's a strain in some aspects, they probably aren't living hand to mouth or anything. Maybe he's a lazy slob and not pulling his weight around the house or something.

He could be, but there's nothing in his account that would necessitate it. It turns out that sometimes women are flawed/bad people too.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Lol, projecting much? I would have thought that regardless. Sometimes partners can be flawed would have sufficed.

I mean maybe, but your reaction to the story was to cast doubt on a completely plausible scenario and suggest the OP was omitting information about their own failings, which just so happened to correspond to a well-known gender stereotype and had no other supporting evidence whatsoever. Given a gender-flipped counterfactual of the situation outlined in the initial post, would your initial reaction really have been suggesting that a woman who had abandoned her job and sold her home to support her partner's career, and was working hard but failing to get a business off the ground in a foreign country, was probably just attracting justified ire because they're slovenly and a poor homemaker?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Adam Vegas posted:

The tacit understanding with all Christmas gifts is that even if you don't like them, you act grateful and thank the person.

Then you place the aforementioned gift somewhere in your house where you never have to use it.

How is that so hard for her to figure out?

It isn't, but 8 wooden chairs can eat up a lot of storage space and they're the kind of thing the person giving them would expect to see out when they visit

which will be the awkward part, if they can't lie through Christmas they're just dumb

it's a super nice gesture/gift on the father-in-law's part, but it's also definitely an imposition and the reason some categories of gifts probably shouldn't be surprises

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tbh the fact that they somehow managed to pick up an entire set of 24(!) chairs from an estate sale is making me hesitant to make assumptions about the relative quality and aesthetic appeal of their existing chairs

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I'm not sure how much that would really help in the situation though, because he will/would probably just assume she's lying regardless. That kind of insecurity is ultra-poisonous.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tato posted:

no poo poo you dodged a bullet, the woman was ranting about electric light orchestra and you didn't immediately flee the bar? you could have ended up at a sketchy apartment listening to loving alan parsons project and rush until dawn. no amount of coke is worth that

please

there are actually innate differences between the sexes

no woman is going to make anyone listen to Rush

:biotruths:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

He's probably still better than me at MOBAS, though. Then again, I just ask the experienced guys who I should follow and support with whatever character I have, and I do that unless they ask me to do something else and I take criticism well in the sense that I try to correct my errors. I blow rear end at MOBA-style games, but on the rare occasion I get roped into playing one, at least I'm working for the team. Having seen how other teams or teammates not coordinating leads to swift defeat, that may be more than some bring to the table. I don't demand to play ranked games when my friends coerce me into that poo poo because I'm not a monster.

you dirty healslut

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He should go to school with his friends regardless. The number of people who sit back and reflect on their lives and think "man, I wish I had another year before kindergarten, I was *not* ready" is approximately 0.

Well no, but it does potentially lead to different outcomes, i.e. being super young for your grade means you're developmentally behind so are unlikely to get a fair shot at competitive sports, might not be able to pick things up as quickly as your classmates, may not be on the same level of emotional maturity, may have a rough time due to hitting puberty later than your peers, etc. Those are definitely things worth thinking about, how likely your kid is to face potential legal issues for wanting to bone down in 14 years much less so.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

Him coming home wouldn't have restored the power. Light a candle and read or go to bed if you lose power. She's a baby.

My dad lost power during our Christmas party last year. 50+ people, no power for hours. We all survived.

Pretty much my perspective. I mean maybe he's spending too much time/money on his hobby, which is potentially a legit relationship issue, but he was also at a pre-arranged event where a) he'd made a time commitment of several hours and b) he was doing something that wasn't terribly conducive to being on the phone. In this case it was Magic: the Gathering, but there are lots of other hobbies and events that have similar time commitments and practical restrictions on phone access. Expecting him to drop everything for a non-emergency that he would either be completely unable to resolve or that she should have trivially been able to resolve on her own isn't really a reasonable expectation and is predicated on the assumption that his time/money/hobby is less important than being immediately available to assuage her anxiety over a minor inconvenience. I mean at worst she'd be unable to cook something for dinner, so just order takeout or text him and ask him to pick up something on his way back.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

So you're just going to leave her laying in a boring room all alone all day? Nothing to do. No one to talk to. Being stuck in hospital is the most boring thing ever (unless you're hosed up enough to be kept sedated 24/7).

Oh well. Maybe her mom will love her enough to keep her company.

After a couple of days? Yeah. I mean I'd make sure she has any reading material she wants or whatever, but there's no obligation to spend every waking moment providing entertainment to someone just because they're stuck in a bed for a few days. I mean I wouldn't want/expect her to do that for me either, it's just not reasonable.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Why try to stop anything? It'll be absolutely hilarious to watch, the chances of a lesbian being swayed by Muscles McBeefcake are exactly 0%, and the parents will very deservedly be in deep poo poo with their daughter. Sounds like they're way too toxic about their daughter's relationship to be around the grandchild anyway.

I mean it'd probably be a good idea to give her sister a heads up so she can be prepared to grind on him while flipping her parents off or whatever her desired response is.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

:same:

I get the gift-giving part and spending time with family, but the people who convert the entire month into "CHRISTMAS!" are insane. You get Christmas Eve and Christmas itself already, don't be greedy.

And the decorations are almost always tacky and terrible to look at, unless you go totally all out.

it really should be Christmas through Epiphany, but the religious holiday is pretty distinct from the seasonal consumer experience at this point

have to agree on most of the commercially sold decorations- the traditional tree is always nice and there are lots of attractive/classy options if you care to find them, but the ones people seem to use are pretty bad in the absence of a maximalist approach

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

value-brand cereal posted:

A prank is something that results in a briefly embarrassing situation or dumping water on another person and silly poo poo like that. This was full out malicious tampering of someone's future. In short:

He's also not actually attempting to genuinely atone or make things right, he's choosing to share a previously unknown super-horrible thing he did over a perceived sleight he can't even remember, playing it off as "not a big deal," and then absolving himself with an expectation that he'll be forgiven for giving the most half-assed apology possible. It's 100% about him and the proper response is to tell him to go get hosed until he can come up with $40,000.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fullhouse posted:

fifteen thousand loving dollars

I hope dude has fun paying that off the next 2.5 years, alone

for real

like even if you're going to straight up ignore her preferences and get her a diamond ring because you're a loving dumb idiot and it's important to you that she have the option of wearing a big shiny rock, you can buy a brand new ring with a brand new lab-grown diamond larger and shinier than most women wear for literally 1/10th of the price

I mean making a bad, disrespectful and selfish decision in a relationship is one thing, but deciding to specifically go out of your way to do such a thing in a manner that creates financial strain and precludes other opportunities for both partners for multiple years takes it to a whole other level

I hope if he ultimately gets in contact with her she recognizes that he did her a favor by breaking it off

e: spelling, but "diamong" does seem pretty apt for this dude

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 28, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Prof X have stairs in his house?

well the X-Mansion has been blown up so many times that it's probably hard to give a truly categorical answer, but it's basically always been depicted as multi-level

which is a longwinded way of saying yes

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dienes posted:

The panel before this had someone saying, "I know your weakness, Charles...", doesn't it?

Pretty much

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

why are there puddles of piss? I mean it's one thing to miss a bit at the start/end when you've got a few feet of distance from the bowl, but that wouldn't seem to be an issue when you're aiming at something that's just below your dick

unless it isn't because he's short and he's trying to arc it in or something?

that's weird, but more just really gross/unhygenic

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

What kind of gross rear end in a top hat pees anywhere besides a goddamn toilet?

An environmentally responsible one

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pick posted:

That's baffling and seems like way too much work.

Ranma Fan Art posted:

Jesus Christ pick you know nothing about men

e: it's not hard (though the last one is wrong)

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 4, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pick posted:

you feel like a douchebag because you are a douchebag, hth

That seems unnecessarily harsh and dismissive- this is just someone being honest about their sexual preferences and being upset because their partner isn't at all good at a part of foreplay they really enjoy. You can talk about how much their partner doesn't need to cater to their whims, and how much they should appreciate the effort in the first place, but the person in question knows that and all the guilt-tripping in the world doesn't actually make the bad oral sex they're having good (or in this case photos). The actual solution is good communication between partners, but its obviously a potentially awkward and emotionally fraught area, so asking for advice on how to start that conversation/how other people have handled similar situations seems entirely reasonable.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Birth control has gotten weird

Just think of it like a carbon offset credit

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

attaboy
A girl (around 24F) at my gym asked me (24M) out for valentine's day today. Should I tell her about my loose skin?

That seems like pretty classic burying the lede

good for him though

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

lol somebody posted this in the last relationships thread and it spawned a huge derail. I also find it creepy and would never do it.

what if it's really cold outside the covers/bedroom and you're simultaneously tired and horny?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno i'm kinda mixed on that, my mom raised me that way (out of necessity, single mom) and while it did give me a lovely libertarian viewpoint in high school that I eventually got over, it also really made me appreciate what I had. I feel like people in college paying their own way tend to take it more seriously and do a better job building up their resume cause they get jobs through their department. I knew a lot of people who were at college sorta cause it was just what was expected of them and it was paid for but they sorta just phoned it in for 4 years and then came out without anything to show for it.

e: otoh it's harder if the parents can pay for it cause then the access to aid at school is gonna be limited. In a way I was lucky my family was low income because it both meant that I had a real appreciation for the cost of my education but i also wasn't saddled with any debt, just had to maintain a high gpa.

Yeah, a bootstraps mentality/strong work ethic/understanding the value of a dollar are not exactly crippling disadvantages in early adulthood, and neither is not having your parents buy you a beater car. It is much better not to start your adult life saddled with student loan debt, but if you go to a state school it also shouldn't be something that can't be dealt with, especially if you actually have family resources to fall back on if things go south for you. Though it also does depend on how family resources affect aid, as you definitely can get mega-hosed if your parents make enough money to disqualify you from most aid but refuse to contribute to your educational costs.

The part where that dude is potentially loving up his kids' future is if he doesn't pay for educational and enrichment opportunities on breaks during childhood/early teenage years, as that's when middle and upper class children tend to actually get academic separation from poorer children who don't have access to the same resources (and the gap widens every year).

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 7, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pick posted:

Nothing gets a girl wet like "I'm sure you're so ugly you think no guy would ever want you, but I'm so hard-up for a hole that I'll shove myself in there. No need to tell me your real name, I'm not that invested."

That's a, uh, really weird way of reading intentions behind something that was clearly set up and advertised as a magazine assignment and makes me think you might be projecting onto him just a wee bit.

Like it's extremely unsurprising he wouldn't get any takers, and consequently it's kind of a weird inclusion in an article about the difficulties of regular single men, but I'm pretty sure there was no judgement of appearance or prospects implied, and the offer to use a pseudonym was for the article he planned to write about the weird freaky sexercise routine.

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 7, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What socks do you people wear that aren't white?

White socks aren't quite the abomination people are making them out to be (though wearing them like that guy did is very "yikes"), but uh, you do know that dark socks are a thing right?

Specifically a thing that should be worn with more types of clothing than white socks.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

Wow, 80 new posts and no derail, this calls for a celebration!

And, on that very night, Johnny learned the most important lesson of the holidays: that the true insecure manlet was inside him all along!

It's pretty similar to a bunch of guys discussing the minimum breast size they'd accept when considering a potential girlfriend- you're certainly allowed to have your own preferences and minimum standards, but discussing them in mixed company is crass at best and it shouldn't be a huge shock if your significant other interpreted such a conversation as objectifying/questioned the degree to which you valued them as a person or why you were in a relationship.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mirthless posted:

yeah I noticed that too, lol, i cannot imagine waiting until marriage and not immediately tearing each other's clothes off the second you get through the door of your suite

Idk, weddings are often pretty stressful & energy intensive affairs, so people just crashing seems totally plausible. Like common best-man/maid-of-honor advice is to make sure to get sandwiches for the bride and groom because they won't have a chance to eat. That may not have been the case here, but if an extra penis somehow escaped notice until after they were married I'd say there are probably enough sexual hangups and lack of other physical contact at work that not getting down ASAP doesn't seem totally out of character.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Really depends on the state, i.e. the Oregon state constitution has broader free speech protections than the U.S. constitution so you can wander around fully naked in public all you want*.

*Note that this doesn't stop private businesses from kicking you out or you from getting arrested for indecent behavior (i.e. being naked is fine, jacking it in public is not)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

I hate travel and I don't get people who enjoy it. Come at me

You're wrong of course (:)), but the OK Cupid stats also are far from an unambiguous endorsement of independent foreign travel as the key to a successful marriage- matching your partner's status is the important correlation. It's a straightforward question that doesn't have a bunch of social pressure around an "ideal" answer, so it works as an accurate proxy for revealed preferences relating to attributes that most people want to share with a partner (even if they'd never admit it- who doesn't want to self-describe as "adventurous" or would openly say they're more likely to pursue marriage with someone from a similar class background?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

chumbler posted:

Now I can compromise on a lot of things, but I'll never give up my god-given right to fart in bed.

true love is finding someone who you can fart in bed together with