Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Trump is being ridiculously magnanimous and McConnell is signalling hard that he's not going to kill the filibuster.

No filibuster means they 100% own everything that passes, or fails to pass, in Congress. With a filibuster they can still have a Dem opposition scapegoat/savior for truly insane poo poo Trump wants and they don't.

See also: Trump nominating some Harriet Miers-grade :wtc: SCOTUS pick that the GOP really, really, doesn't want that they also know the Dems will line up to oppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fojar38 posted:

Trump doesn't give a gently caress about those things.

Yes, which is why when a bill crosses his desk with those regressions in it he won't care as he signs it because it has some other thing in it he actually wants.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

God I just realized that not only could the GOP try to roll back SSM but conversion therapy may come roaring back with a vengeance. :smith:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Are you sure abortion access will remain the same? Assuming Pence gets his wish and a conservative Supreme Court overturns roe v wade, it'll be up to the states to decide, and unless you live in a state with a dem governor/dem majority state legislature, abortion may be banned at state level?

Abortion is not going to be 'states decide' it is going to be banned at the Federal level and anyone who thinks the GOP will follow "state's rights" for anything they don't like hasn't paid attention to pretty much anything the GOP actually does.

Zonekeeper posted:

Agreed on all counts.

- The Republican establishment never saw eye to eye with Trump in the first place and there's some things in his platform they don't want.

Trump has repeatedly said he wants one of [conservative PAC-written list of right wing judges] to take the spot. If he nominates some Heritage Foundation-approved judge the GOP is going to be 100% behind him on it.

Zeeman posted:

Literally every single thing he accused Clinton of, he did: https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/796904035253030912

Also, way to go Megyn Kelly, thanks for sitting on this. you sure are a "serious journalist"

The media deserves worse than whatever Trump wants to do to them. The pathetic thing is if he actually does try to loosen libel laws and do other horrific things to free speech the media is still going to probably treat him the same.

RaySmuckles posted:

actually i think he's talking about the LF purge which pushed out all the people on the left, leaving this forum full of people who see "let's make everything economically better for everyone" as racist.

Maybe LFers shouldn't have said poo poo that resulted in the secret service contacting Lowtax. :shrug:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, but if Congress gives Trump he infrastructure bill they wouldn't give Obama, that's a ton of construction jobs

And of course they could have done that at any time over the past six years but that would have made a Democrat look good

gently caress unity

These fuckers deserve poo poo

I'd say the GOP needs to raise taxes to pay for it but they really don't. The US could go pretty heavy on deficit and it's not like China would rush to collect and risk it causing any backlash to their own economy. They have various social programs to take money from too. Like education and science. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kartikeya posted:

I'm scared of literal Nazis. Like the ones that just helped our new president get elected.

And internet Nazis can just get hosed.

Pretty sure there are neonazis and white supremacists who post on Somethingawful. Having their lovely beliefs called out repeatedly hasn't changed poo poo about them.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

twitter video if you don't want to deal with msnbc player https://twitter.com/allinwithchris/status/796889257344282625

The Dems not talking about the GOP stealing the SCOTUS seat is something that should've been brought up constantly during the election because holy poo poo how do you not constantly use something so major as a constantly reminder that the GOP cannot be loving trusted to do their jobs.

If Trump or his advisors want to give any sort of Dem insurgency a but blown Garland's name will on his short list of nominees. Doesn't matter if he has zero intent to re-nominate Garland. The media would grab it and run with "Trump attempting to be a uniter" or some other flowery poo poo and when Trump picks Arch-Scalia it'll just make the Dems look a little worse if they try to cause problems since the narrative would be that Trump gave Garland fair consideration.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah Trump only got 63% of the vote in Kentucky.

Thanks. Also, where the hell has this messaging been for the last year. Would've been easier if Garland wasn't such a boring nominee. Probably Obama's biggest failure as president.

His worst pick is Comey. It's not even close.

Even if we ignore the original press conference where Comey made his language as negative as possible about Clinton, Comey's "oh we're looking in to stuff maybe related to Clinton" letter a week before the election was the most blatant political meddling imaginable. If some random generic Democrat ran the FBI then the initial decision not to prosecute would've had a "she didn't do anything illegal, the end" statement. Not the "well... it's technically not illegal but it was dumb bad awful terrible stupid poo poo please reuse this attack ad soundbite" statement. Or the last minute kneecapping with his letter about Weiner's computer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

Yeah, America has the good imperialism.

Seeing what Russia does to gays, or even political dissidents, yes. American imperialism is far less sinister than a country run by a a KGB agent who desperately wants to be worshiped like Stalin and Lenin. Though who the gently caress knows what Trump will do.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

b) fbi director comey as bipartisan gesture that went nowhere, who apparently if reporting from both trump and clinton camps can be believed, singlehandedly delivered election to trump with that bullshit last-second stunt

He will also never have to answer for it because the Hatch Act is a joke.

Guy Goodbody posted:

b should honestly be expanded to cover all of Obama's doomed attempts at bi-partisanship

I also don't think the last minute EMAILS letter was reason Trump won.

There was a post earlier showing a breakdown of last minute voters and they broke hard for Trump. Comey doing his "well I'm not saying we're gonna find anything BUT EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS loving EMAILS" letter was an absolute factor. As was his initial, hostile as gently caress, non-indictment of Clinton. Obama needed to fire him just for that poo poo alone.

Comey's final salvo absolutely helped Trump because it ripped the scab off the email wound and that it was obvious bullshit didn't matter because it fed a narrative that was already being pressed constantly. Comey's behavior with the investigation in to Clinton was one of the largest and most effective attacks against her in the entire election because the FBI had a neutral observer kind of status to most people, therefore his condemnation of Clinton was extra bad in their minds.

Fojar38 posted:

The world doesn't hate the US.

I'm less certain of that right now than I was 48 hours ago and this time next year I suspect the rest of the world will be less thrilled about us.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

the black husserl posted:

People with press experience: are we just going to be completely in the dark once Trump throws the press out of the White House? He already banned reporters from covering large parts of his meeting with Obama. I'd toxx myself 100 times that any truthful media will have no access to the Trump administration. What on earth will this feel like?

My guess is it will be Russia style, with Breitbart as the country's number one source of information and journalists that try to expose truth getting disappeared.

Bannon kept saying that even if Trump won he was going back to Breitbart, precisely because if Trump won he'd be busy running it as the (un)official national media outlet akin to RT.

There's also a non-zero chance that Infowars will be allowed in to the press pool and that's even more terrifying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I kinda wonder what Obama's favorables will be like in a couple years. Either he's going to be the most popular political figure by historic margins or he's going to be seen as a toxic monster who destroyed the country that Trump is desperately trying to fix.

Meanwhile the MSM will report that the truth is in the middle. Well, the media outlets that haven't been forcibly shuttered by then anyways.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jesus Christ, Peter Thiel is joining (possibly leading) Trump's transition team. This poo poo just gets worse every day. I'd be happy about the upcoming pogroms against the media if it wasn't for the fact the end result would be Breitbart, Infowars, and the rest of the far right media replacing them and poisoning American discourse in ways never before imagined.

ozmunkeh posted:

I don't doubt the ACA has had many positive outcomes but on the whole it's a bad piece of legislation.

Surely by handing all levers of government to the people responsible for it being as bad as it is we can have a much better solution, like pushing the VA and medicare to private health plans and block granting medicaid! :downs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

As amazing as it'd be for Donald Trump to suddenly defend the ACA he'll be convinced to kill it the moment Pence and co start talking to him in private.

OTOH, Obama's going to be in DC until their 2nd daughter graduates high school IIRC, so if by some miracle he'd meet even a few times a year with Trump I just don't know if reality will remain intact because holy poo poo the idea that Trump might ask Obama questions seems like something that would drive the entire nation insane beyond belief. Pretty sure that's one of the few things that could make the Alex Jones crowd immediately turn against Trump in full force.

It won't happen, but if it did it'd be a wonderful silver lining on all of this because his base would never forgive him if he's seen as actually making decisions based on advice from Obama. Hell there are probably right wing sites already going apeshit over his comments today.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

Like let's be honest here, most of the poor probably didn't vote, period.

Completely by their own choice and not due to the extensive suppression efforts that have ramped up ever since the VRA was gutted. Please pay no attention to what happened in states like WI and NC and just blame those dirty poors for apathy. :bahgawd:

Nevvy Z posted:

Share my nightmare. Day 1- Republicans impeach trump. Pence is president.

I don't think there's a lot of things that would spark waves of violence in the US but the GOP ousting Trump in a political coup is probably one of them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/797221054372528128

DNC interm is hanging out with Milo.
Because gently caress the world

This kind of person is getting purged from the party if/when Ellison and others take over, right?

Winkie01 posted:

https://twitter.com/JillDLawrence/status/797189675538595841

hahahahahahahahahahah GOP wrote a lot of checks they know they can't cash.

I'd be tempted to collect this and other articles for a giant "I TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN" post to Trumpists I know but they wont give a gently caress even if they'd read the articles instead of dismiss them outright. At this point I'm just going to keep a few of them as friends on facebook to see if/when they realize they got played like suckers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

I love the photo someone took of him during his meeting with Obama where he's just sitting alone in his chair with a "oh gently caress this is really happening :stare:" look on his face

This?

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donald-trump-doesnt-like-this-any-more-than-you-do-1788862854

It's basically an album of "Trump is miserable about his win" and it's probably the scariest thing since it means he's going to just sign poo poo asap to get back to doing something, anything, else.

I'm starting to hope that when he takes office he finds the gift Obama leaves behind is just a note with his phone number on it and a comment that he'll always make time if Trump wants to talk about anything. Because otherwise a miserable Trump is just going to be doing whatever Pence and others tell him (which is probably why Pence looks so loving giddy, while Trump and Turtle have shades of horror on their faces about what happened). If Trump's easily placated then if Obama wants to see his legacy last more than a month he'd better do whatever he can in that regard.

With any luck, Trump will drive Pence insane by having Pence do all the work while still being able to overrule him on a whim. Like Pence being so close to getting to do his awful poo poo on a national scale, only to have Trump veto it because Pence raised his voice and Pence is slowly driven mad? I'd pay to watch that.

(e: In reality this won't happen and they'll just push after GOP poo poo constantly :sigh:)

Bip Roberts posted:

Didn't Hillary intern to impeach Nixon?

Yes, she was an intern in the Watergate investigation. They probably got confused because she was a Goldwater Girl.

OAquinas posted:

Like a petition would even work for this.

"Well, I was going to follow the vote my state took and quietly do my job and take the check, but holy poo poo a change.org petition!"

There was a popular vote push after 2000 but the agreement among states joining it was that they'd only put the change in to effect if they had 270+ EVs worth of states in agreement instead of just individually switching over. I imagine some of the leaders of that moment are probably really hating themselves now that they didn't just get it done by each state even without the 270 EV total, assuming it'd have mattered at all for the election's results.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

Why are people writing fanfics about trump giving up the presidency/Mike pence being the real president

Because "Trump plans to have Pence run the country" is a very real thing we've known for months:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-mike-pence_us_578fa289e4b0f180da63defd

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

I just now remembered that he was building out the infrastructure for his own TV network and now that he actually won he can't do that any more.

Jesus Christ his campaign really is the political re-imagining of 'The Producers'

Yes he can. There's no law that prohibits a POTUS from running their private business, and didn't LBJ run a broadcasting business while president?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Is there even a remote chance that the Democrats are ever going to push to have the EC abolished since it's outdated as gently caress and has now twice in less than 2 decades resulted in a POTUS that the majority of the country doesn't actually want?

Non Serviam posted:

I don't think he'll be a good president. In fact, he'll have a presidency that will not please anyone. His base will be pissed by the lack of a wall and the fact that Hillary isn't in front of a firing squad, Democrats will oppose his traditional Republican policies.

It's logistically impossible to build the wall during Trump's presidency. Not only would it cost in the hundreds of billions, if not trillions, of dollars, but the amount of concrete and steel needed for it is beyond most people's comprehension. That's before getting in to the fact that you're going to be digging up and leveling all that land so you can actually built the drat thing to begin with. Or that private contractors will fleece the government so badly it'll make Iraq look like a sound financial decision.

Josef bugman posted:

So the Republicans are going to be against it. It's government jobs, the worst thing ever.

Nah they'll contract it out to private firms, ensuring a disjointed and patchwork result at best. While billions are skimmed off the top.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I said it in the SC thread, no one wants to talk about the possibility but I have four words for ya'll:

Eleven Justice Supreme Court.

Stacking the court is so far beyond nuclear option that if the GOP does that it's because they're planning to actually create a Trumpstaffel and start killing 'mexicans' in the street.

Condiv posted:

haha

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loc...4d37204669.html

you had great turnout in places that were dem strongholds, you had poo poo turnout in wisconsin

keep trying to pretend you guys couldn't see this coming. it was the economy stupid and you guys ignored that

That article really underplays the WI voter ID law poo poo that was going on. It's pretty easy to have poor turnout when people are left with the feeling of "gently caress jumping through all these hoops" because of suppression efforts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Bill Maher is 100% right, we need a nasty motherfucker next time. It's too bad the democrats cannibalized DWS and Weiner cannibailized himself by being a shithead because we haven't had anyone decent since then to combat the GOP. Now we just have Obama/Clinton style millennial nice guys and poo poo for brain drum circle folk. We're in a lot of trouble if the meanest person the Democrats have in the next few years is loving Michael Moore.

Bill Maher is the last person who needs to be listened to. He is an utter garbage human being and the only reason he's not a member of the Green party is because he knows he'd be seen as the joke he is instead of treated with more respect than he deserves.

But yes we need one of the worst DNC chairs in recent history, or an actual pedophile and sexual deviant who makes Bill and Trump look like boy scouts, to lead Democrats to victory. :jerkbag:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Everyone please keep arguing about voter turnout while largely ignoring that this is the first post-VRA election and there have been incredibly deliberate voter suppression across the county, especially in states like Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina.

It doesn't matter how awesome you think your message is going to be in 2020 (or 2018) if millions of your voters don't show up because they literally can't overcome the hurdles the GOP throw in front of them over the next several years. Strict nationwide voter ID requirements will gently caress over millions of people, especially when combined with targeted DMV closures and other poo poo we've been seeing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

"Well if the country's gone to poo poo by 2018 the Dems can win big" is some of the dumbest poo poo I've seen in awhile. We just had an election with hundreds of thousands of people being unable to vote because of very specific, targeted voter suppression in GOP-held states. That poo poo is going to continue and get worse in most if not all states with GOP-held legislatures.

Trump's SCOTUS pick is all but guaranteed to be in lockstep with the current conservatives for ruling against the VRA. NC explicitly targeted black people with their changes and even with courts ruling against them their response was "well you said X and Y were illegal but not A, B, or C so we're going to do those things :smuggo:" and that was with an 8 person SCOTUS. Trump will probably be convinced to pick one of the conservative PAC-vetted picks for the bench who will almost certainly be cut from the same "gently caress the VRA and those drat minorities" cloth as people like Roberts.

thechosenone posted:

I think I see your problem here sir.

Disproving a right wing talking point using a right wing group's data isn't a problem, except that it shows the people who ignore it simply do not want to change their minds period.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Flynn being SecDef might actually scare me more than Trump being President. Trump's in over his head but Flynn is a complete loving monster of a human being and would turn the US in to a Starship Troopers-style military dictatorship without hesitation if he could.

The only upside to Trump letting Kushner be part of his inner circle is that he's probably the only person who can get Bannon fired and persona non grata to Trump. And Considering Kushner's jewish, sooner or later Bannon's going to say some anti-Semitic or otherwise racist poo poo to Kushner's face and all bets are off when that happens. Especially if Ivanka and Donald Trump are both present for it.

Spaced God posted:

Ted Cruz ran on wanting to prosecute Planned Parenthood for murder.
Joy.

He'd file every charge in the 5th(?) circuit as well since it's probably the only one that won't immediately dismiss his cases with extreme prejudice.

Fojar38 posted:

Donald Trump is going to be impeached.

No he won't because nobody in Congress wants to roll the dice on what his crazy white wing followers would do in response to what they'd see as a coup and all those people committing hate crimes in celebration of Trumpism would turn their sights on politicians. Especially GOPers who'd be seen as even bigger traitors than the Dems and liberals they already hate.

The GOP will just make sure Pence and others are sufficiently sweet-talking Trump when they need bills signed while the Secret Service ends up babysitting him for the next several years. Also Black Lives Matter or some other movement will be painted as the source of problems that Trump's having/causing, so that the racist base go after them instead of the GOP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Boy I can't wait until Msulims also have to wear a special badge after being added to our national registry. Truly we are moving in to a new era of American prosperity. :godwinning:

Agnosticnixie posted:

At this point uspol saying there won't be a draft is making me entertain the possibility that they'll reinstate it.

Also, no he won't be impeached. That's about as much wishful thinking as electors going faithless.

At the rate this trainwreck is going I'm going to be seriously stunned if this election doesn't set a record for faithless electors. It won't change the outcome (because that'd spark nationwide riots and violence at the very least) but so many people are watching this all in utter horror.

Is it even possible to deny Trump's requests for things like Kushner to get security clearance? Like there's zero reason any government agency would trust that guy, especially with how loving obvious it is he's using his position as Trumps son-in-law to conduct a political purge of Fat Reek and his cohorts.

readingatwork posted:

Obama could have disbanded the whole thing in 08 but he didn't. Instead he doubled down and codified it into law and as a result an orange lunatic now has the keys to every piece of personal information in existence.

So yeah, gently caress Obama.

Not unilaterally he couldn't and there is zero chance he'd have gotten the Dem-controlled congress to pass a law doing it either because plenty of Dems want that poo poo in place.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ISIS has to be ecstatic about the election. If they can pull off any sort of attack in the US while Trump's president he's bound to overract horribly and give a speech declaring war on Islam or some other thing that will validate the last half decade of ISIS propaganda and let them say "look, here's the POTUS saying the West is at war with Islam!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

e: nm, answered ^^^

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Old James posted:

Trump isn't going to have any allies once he takes office. He has shown no loyalty to the few Republicans who supported him in the election (see Carson, Christie, and Gingrich), why would anyone step out to help him now.

Because if they don't it runs the risk that he calls Obama, and you can be drat certain that Barack Obama is going to drop pretty much anything he's doing if it means guiding Trump away from the latest minefield Trump's herding the country towards.

And yeah, if the POTUS calls you and wants your help with something, you don't burn the biggest of bridges by telling him to gently caress off and likely validating in his eyes whatever poo poo Kushner and Bannon has said to make Trump distance himself from you in the first place.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Gooooo....Faithless electors!

I'd be ok with faithless electors swapping by the dozens and declaring Clinton the winner if it wasn't for that whole "would almost certainly spark a civil war" thing. The EC needs to be abolished in its entirety and we need to go to a straight popular vote but that's less than likely.

Plus it's looking more and more like Trump's going to be used heavily by his son-in-law. At the rate things are going I won't be surprised if Kushner's dad is given a full pardon within Trump's first year in office.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Watching a bunch of die hard right wing 'patriots' cheer Trump getting cozy to Putin is so loving sad, or it would be if it wasn't so loving terrifying. White Pride Worldwide, indeed. :heritage:

zegermans posted:

Am I correct in my belief that Flynn is basically a stupider Curtis LeMay? He seems to bellyache a lot about the "we try to kinda not kill innocent people" thing.

Flynn is a man who would happily commit genocide. He's an utter monster and belongs in a forgotten cell in Gitmo more than almost anyone else. He'd personally murder Trump and his entire family on national TV if it let him create a Starship Troopers-style military government.

theblackw0lf posted:

He said fear of Muslims is rational

Which means Trump is communicating that Islamaphobia will be the official position of the United States.

This won't have repercussions at all.

Trump is going to be the single biggest recruiting tool that ISIS could've dreamed of. I fully expect Trump to directly state something to the effect of "we're at war with Islam" during his SOTU which will be replayed endlessly in the Middle East.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Grover Norquist used to be respectable.

No he didn't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Quorum posted:

This would be unprecedented (and will not happen) but they would follow along with the transition of power just fine. The electoral college being an antidemocratic sack of poo poo gave us Trump and they had no problem with it, because it's all quite Constitutional, as would be a giant faithless-elector revolt.

What you should be worried about in this ludicrous hypothetical is the Trumpets and the Republican Party at large, which absolutely would not take that lying down. Picture Bush v Gore but far, far worse.

I'd love to the the conservative justices' statement after the subsequent 4-4 ruling because they'd be screaming so loudly that the EC has to follow their state no matter what.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The first time he has to go up against the White House Press Corps and actually have to answer real, hard questions is going to be amazing.

Is this before or after he pulls the credits from WaPo, NYT, and others, filling the press pool with people from Infowars, Breitbart, Free Republic, and other such RWM outlets?

BarbarianElephant posted:

To be fair, he hasn't said he will do any worse than blocking Muslims from entering the country. Saying he will put them in camps or have them shot is just extrapolation from history. Probably won't happen in the near future but isnt violating the US constitutional principle of religious freedom just a little bit worrying?

He wants a national registry. Which definitely won't be "leaked" to various right wing groups who will harass people like crazy.

Fojar38 posted:

Which is why it wouldn't survive a 1st Amendment challenge. Even the most conservative justices would balk at something so flagrantly unconstitutional.

I'm not sure what basis you have for thinking that Japanese Internment wouldn't be upheld, again, by the current conservatives and Trump's pick. I don't believe for a second that Roberts, Alito, and Thomas would balk at internment and I doubt Kennedy would either. No idea on the liberal justices. There's absolutely a good chance at internment camps being upheld for Muslims if Trump actually tried it.

Caros posted:

Hey cool, its our once annual 'John McCain proves he isn't entirely a piece of poo poo' moment.

This is 100% posturing. McCain's still entirely a piece of poo poo and a massive hypocrite.

Carlosologist posted:

Charter schools are literal scum upon the earth, they only serve as a justification for state governments to funnel resources away from the public schools.

gently caress this gay earth

Can't teach creationism or indoctrinate children with your own religious beliefs in public schools? Just funnel all that money to private schools with no such restriction! :pseudo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

One instance. One county.

Of all the things to hate charters for, this is rare enough to not devote any mental energy to. Like, if you'e going to write your state rep or mayor about charter schools it would not be productive to include things about how they teach creationism.

And in Texas, among other places. Here's one older article on the subjuect being taught in Louisiana:
http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...boards_and.html

I'm not sure what you're basing your claims on but you are factually wrong. Charter schools teaching garbage like creationism is far more common than it has any right to be.

Paradoxish posted:

Mandates and political capital mean very little when you have control of two branches of government and are poised to contest a third. The GOP is going to bend over backwards to work with Trump because this is their first chance in a decade to push their legislative agenda into a friendly White House. This is especially true since the Republicans have almost nothing to lose in 2018.

Especially considering how much harder they're going to make voting for poor and minority groups over the next two years now that they're seeing real returns on the effort and will get back to having a SCOTUS majority that will back all sorts of awful poo poo they've been pushing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

In 1973, Richard Nixon tried to use the federal government to destroy his political opponents and cover up his involvement. He was subsequently ravaged by all parties. Both his attorney general and deputy attorney general resigned from office rather than participate in a blatant cover-up. The press uncovered multiple abuses of power. Impeachment proceedings had bipartisan support.

We already know a foreign government was explicitly working to get Trump elected, and there's a strong argument that Comey was abusing his office for purely political reasons as well in how he so publicly handled the email stuff. Literally nobody in the government gives a poo poo even with Trump picking staffers who are also chummy with that same foreign government.

Grouchio posted:

Does Bannon hate Trump's son in law Jared Kushner since he's Jewish (and someone who Trump wants on his team?) Or does he merely consider him a credit to his race? Also how is him being Chief Strategist actually going to work if Trump really, really wants to work with Israel? (Unless Bannon hates Muslims as much as Jews...)

If Bannon doesn't like Kushner he's going to keep really quiet on it because he knows that Kushner is one of two, maybe three, people who can convince Trump to fire him at any given time.

e:

Given that the rest of the Wildlife assholes were found not guilty in Oregon I'd be stunned if Finnicum isn't slowly canonized by the right as a victim of Obama's oppression or some poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They're actually remaking Starship Troopers and it's going to be like the book.

I'm glad they are. Not only will it likely be a terrible generic "gritty sci-fi movie" but people will constantly compare it to the existing movie and how great that movie was since it just made fun of the idiocy of the book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Covok posted:

Trump will likely be an 8 year President.

Well yeah it's not like poor and minority citizens are going to have an easy time voting in 2020, or probably even 2018, if they live where the state government isn't solidly blue.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Again, Gabbard is racist human garbage and I'm glad she's giving people constant reminders. The Dems are idiots so it's not like they'll ever denounce her but it'd be nice.

Quorum posted:

Pretending the dumb slapfight isn't happening, I have to wonder if this isn't as much an attempt to scoop up disaffected Bernouts and cobble them into the alt right coalition as an approval of Tulsi's hawkishness. I've already talked to a couple of people who responded to this with "well maybe this means Trump isn't as bad as you Hillarybots made him out to be."

And this kind of poo poo is why. It's not "oh she's actually a loving sellout and opportunist" to many people, but rather "oh maybe Trump's not that bad because he reached across the aisle" to grab a lovely Democrat's support. Those people were a lost cause to begin with but the problem is them accepting it can give low information people a reason to further normalize Trump's insanity.

I'm pretty sure this rule change is why a Trumpist trucker I went to high school with was given a raise to around 70k a month or two ago (since he was making mid 40s but working 70+ hour weeks IIRC). I wonder if it's going to get walked back because if it does I can only imagine what his reaction would be. Considering he claimed his VA coverage sucked because of Obama and he was given an "Obama card" and that's why it sucked I'm sure his reaction to a loss of income would be totally rational.

I hope to God that on December 1st Obama holds a presser touting the overtime change and how it's going to give millions of Americans the pay they deserve. Put it front and center and pray that the media will stop being poo poo just long enough to cover the speech and the GOP's current plans to immediately kill it and gently caress over people.

Party Plane Jones posted:

In Michigan News:

Rick Synder's Michigan is an ever increasing horrorscape of Republican governance.

What a loving monster. I guess that's one way to try and ensure Michigan stays red in future elections?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pretty sure we're seeing the results of the huge brain drain that were the Hillary toxxes. We're the wreckage that was left over. Anyone get a count on how many were banned/perma banned?

A lot, and a few people who weren't banned up and left because they knew the forums were going to go to poo poo more than they already had.

Mnoba posted:

yase, rick snyder is the reason detroit schools are bankrupt and piss poor. It's no wonder Michigan went Republican, does sharing retarded sentiments like this in D&D make you feel better about black Detroit residents Democrats left to rot?

Yes, unironically. Rick Snyder is the reason the schools and the state in general is hosed sideways as he took it from "this is bad but fixable" to "lol look at these poors who want non-toxic water to drink" with his loving policies including impossible to remove municipal czars who did whatever they wanted. This isn't a matter of debate any more than "Kansas has been hosed in to the ground by Republicans" is. Snyder is a loving monster of a human being.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

The Wall actually will be built and will probably do an okay job of stopping border crossings, please do not take John Oliver's stupid bit seriously. You should probably worry about literally any of Trump's other policies which will be a thousand times worst than his stupid vanity project.

Building an actual wall along the entire border is a massive undertaking that will have tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars vanish in to nothingness* even before getting to the actual cost of the project in terms of materials and manpower.

* pockets of Trump, his associates, and anyone else who can steal a slice of that giant pie.

I don't think Scotland will give a poo poo since if Brexit goes through they're going to vote for Independence again and it'll likely pass by a healthy margin. At that point Trump can get hosed because IIRC Scotland by and large hates him.

Shagman posted:

Full article about Richard Spencer's NPI conference Nazi salutes: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/
:words:

None of this matters, except that it'll be much more normalized over the next several years.

Is 'kek' really an alt-right thing? Because I see tons of people use it. I thought it was just some new "lol" for idiots.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

iospace posted:

They're still dying. The brand is toxic. The people who voted for him can't afford to stay there, and the people who have the money to are staying away.

Except for all the diplomats and other foreign interests who think it can help them curry favor with the vain orange rear end in a top hat. Oh, and the fact that Trump's very clearly going to be keeping close with his kids who will run his business while having full access to all the information and influence of the most powerful person on the planet.

Trump's family is about to have the 4-8 most profitable years imaginable.

Madkal posted:

So what's the most likely outcome for Trump from his supporters when they realize that he didn't carry out any of his promises like:

1. build a wall
2. Throw Hillary in prison
3. Bring back the coal industry?

Part of me looks at the states and worries that Trump and the GOP have created a monster and something bad might happen when that monster finds out it has been lied to.

He'll blame Democrats and others, the base will accept it, and he'll win reelection when Democrats run someone boring as hell and millions don't vote because of sweeping voter suppression over the next 2-4 years. Maybe if the Dems can run some (white) salt-of-the-earth candidate with Candidate Obama levels of charisma they'll turn these people against Trump but you're talking about people who by and large just want to hear easy and hopeful lies far more than difficult truths.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the democratic plan was to set up high scale midwestern infrastructure projects across the nation to provide jobs to struggling rural neighborhoods while also significantly improving their livelihoods. republicans killed these projects because they don't think it's the government's job to help people. the white progressive movement does not have an explanation for how their midwestern infrastructure projects would get around this issue.

And Democrats didn't hammer this, or speak about it much (if at all) during the election. Because Democrats are determined to be utterly incompetent.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/11/21/pat_mccrory_is_trying_to_steal_the_north_carolina_governorship.html

Have you guys talking about NC's governor trying to steal the election by yelling VOTER FRAUD as loud as he can until the state legislature declares him the new governor?

The ultimate power play would be for him to do this, get sued, and then have the soon-to-be-stacked state supreme court also rule in his favor, with both the outgoing justice and whatever two partisan shits he appoints, being in the majority and refusing to recuse themselves.

He's probably going to do it and nothing is going to happen to him or the GOP when they outright steal the election because they know that even if people rioted that'd just give them an excuse to enact martial law.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Either Roberts or Kennedy would flip.

One or more of the liberals would sooner flip if it meant avoiding widespread violence and riots. Trump is currently the winner, and the left has a might bigger hurdle to clear. Any lawsuit without some incredibly solid evidence of vote tampering flipping the election would definitely go against Clinton and reinforce Trump's position.

I have zero faith in the liberal justices to stand firm and force a showdown if by some miracle this actually went to the courts with solid evidence of massive pro-Trump fraud.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Motto posted:

infinitely more likely than the presidency getting torn from trump: dems handing over NC.

There is nothing Democrats can do to stop the GOP from keeping NC if they want to. Even if they challenge it in Federal court that's a hell of a long shot and would rely on a ruling against McCrory that doesn't get overturned on appeal, since I can't see the SCOTUS having a majority that would rule against him, assuming they even hear the case.

It's a small comfort knowing that people like her would meet a horrific end at the hands of the people she's trying to be chummy with.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

poo poo is hosed but it can be helped in 2020. You guys are acting like Trump is now our eternal dictator.

The GOP is going to be suppressing the vote nationwide on a scale that in this past election was only found in states like WI and NC. When the DNC shows itself to be even remotely competent and unified against the GOP, with a message that isn't garbage, then maybe they'll have a faint shot.

Except in states held by the GOP in which case have fun trying to vote if you're a poor, minority, or young voter Democrat when you have a hard time getting that mandated state ID from the DMV 50 miles away that's only open when you're at work/school, and needed when you go to the one polling place that will have you waiting all day and night. Assuming we don't get something insane like a Federal law that mandates polling places close and stop allowing people to vote when the polls "close" for the state in question. Though the latter probably won't happen because it'd also risk not letting a bunch of Republicans vote either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

Because if it were proved that Russia had hacked American voting machines to throw the presidency to their pet candidate, this would be an international incident on the level of 9/11 - an attack by a foreign power at the heart of US democracy.

Obama wouldn't give a poo poo and he'd try to keep it quiet. If he could pick between quiet transition of power in a mostly peaceful fashion, or essentially declaring Trump a fraud and Clinton winning the election but Trump's neo-nazi base getting violent, he'll take the former every time.

We're so hosed.

Doesn't matter. Trump's SOTU could be "yeah I worked hand in hand with Putin to rig the election, eat poo poo Democrats" and he'd still get glowing praise in the media and from his racist white trash base.

The only question at this point is "will the Democrats be able to avoid getting blown out in 2018 or will the country be too hosed to matter?"

If McCrory and the NC GOP steal the governorship and/or stack the state's supreme court, look at the RNC and media's (non)response to get an idea of how dark the country's future will be.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

There will be significant evidence that the election might have been stolen, but Republicans will shut it down and nothing will happen.

Republicans? Obama himself would shut it down because he'd rather see a peaceful transition than widespread riots if the integrity of the election is destroyed by hard evidence of direct tampering by another country. Isn't he also pushing back at Ellison being DNC chair?

We're going to get another avoidable attack like 9/11, or worse, attack under Trump's watch only instead of him giving a speech stating that Islam isn't to blame like W he's going to give a speech announcing his final solution to the muslim problem.

Mr Interweb posted:

You guys may have already discussed it, but that poo poo that's happening in North Dakota is disgusting. A peacefully protesting woman's arm gets blown off, but the inbred members of Y'allqaeda get off without a scratch. This is everything that's hosed up about this election.

Don't worry, this will change once Trump is in office.

Because he's going to institute a media blackout of the area and then purge protestors with force.

Fojar38 posted:

There are only 13 out of 179 federal judicial positions open and only 1 out of 9 supreme court positions open. 53 Federal judges are Obama appointments. Out of all currently active federal judges, 75 current ones were appointed by Republicans, while 91 were appointed by Democrats.

Assuming Trump fills all currently vacant seats 51% of federal judges will still have been Democrat appointees.

The judiciary is not a democracy and Trump's SCOTUS pick means more than if every single appeals court was 100% ultra leftwing liberal. Just like why the GOP has consistently filed all of its lawsuits against Obama in the 5th circuit.

size1one posted:

The mere idea of recounts is going to be damaging.

"Could undercut talk of a Trump mandate" says media outlet run by idiots or assholes who know full well that the GOP's unified control of the government is all the mandate they care about.

Young Freud posted:

I can't recall, but did this get mentioned? NYT article from yesterday about judges ruling that Wisconsin's redistricting provides an unfair advantage to the Republican party.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/us/wisconsin-redistricting-found-to-unfairly-favor-republicans.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Kennedy claiming that he'd be willing to strike it down but hasn't accepted a rationale for it yet is meaningless. If arguments on the level of "this undermines the foundation of our country's political process to allow the party in power to ensure it can't be voted out even when the voters want it to happen" aren't something he accepts then what will he consider?

While a SCOTUS ruling that strikes down political Gerrymandering is probably the only thing that could help the Dems retake the House, or multiple states, in the foreseeable future, I suspect Kennedy's bar is too high to reasonably clear but hopefully he proves me wrong. Democrats would still probably gently caress up and squander the opportunity if he did rule against the practice though.

In reality we're probably going to get a 5-4 ruling with conservatives deciding it's a-ok if the Gerrymandering is political and not racial, with Thomas writing that racial Gerrymandering is ok too because he's just that much of a spiteful monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Dylan Roof has elected to represent himself in his murder trial. :dogbutton: There ain't no brakes on the death penalty train!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tm_content=2055

It worked for Ammon Bundy. All Roof needs is a single idiotic piece of poo poo juror too and he won't be convicted.

size1one posted:

We'll still have the VA. Service guarantees healthcare. Join up now!

The VA will be up next after Medicare and I'm going to enjoy watching the couple wannabe fascist vets on I know on Facebook try to keep defending Trump when it happens. They'll probably blame Obama anyways.

Spacebump posted:

He is waiting until he is out of office.

All the more reason he deserves to watch his legacy burn.

• Locked thread