Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Lol looks like D&D China thread is feeling confident in claiming that ALL Chinese overseas are CCP agents. I finally had enough and exploded, looking forward to the ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Orange Devil posted:

Oh like that. Ok that makes sense. I thought the go-to carrier killing moves were subs and ASBMs though. Not so sure how much aerial silhouette identification you need for those.

I imagine its to help their targeting algorithms on cruise missiles and anti ship ballistic missiles to identify and hit carriers with higher accuracy.

^^ yep, the mock ups are also packed with sensors so they should be getting all sorts of useful information. Its more than just a tarp.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

half cocaine posted:

poor kittehs

Looks like one of those staged FLG propoganda ops.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

paul_soccer12 posted:

i mean the entire US economy is dependent on it so its a pretty important factor

some psychos do actually want war with China but to say we are on an inextricable path leading to one doesnt scan to me, since they make all our poo poo and we are addicted to poo poo

It's a good thing China is expanding it nuclear arsenal and delivery systems. I hope those psychos realize any war with China is MAD.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

why do they think this is an own chinas even allowing regular foreign spectators

Just like the WTA canceling events in China when they weren't allowed in the first place.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Rutibex posted:

China spends about the same as the USA on policing 5x the population

Laws are just paper, the real authoritarian measure is police budget

most Chinese cops don't even have guns.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you know i was looking at a map and some of those islands are like right in the bay by fujian. why didn't the PRC ever invade them

rule of law, status quo, blah blah blah. also china didn't have a navy till the 60's

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

do toll highways exist in China?

almost all highways are toll roads.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Speaking of minority cultures and languages, what's everyone take on the latest attempt by China to genocide a culture? Saw a lot of mumbling about inner Mongolia and the perfidious Han outlawing Mongolian.

I read into it a bit deeper and it seems that they are only mandating that core classes be taught in putonghua. Kind of funny seeing Mongolian nationalists complaining about Chinese destruction of Mongolian culture while typing in Cyrillic.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
n/m should read the entire post.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Dec 30, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Wait so its down to possibly hundreds of thousands of Uygurs and "other" Muslims now? I thought it was millions.

Xinjiang has a population of 25million, Texas with a population of 29 million currently has 150,000 people incarcerated. That's also hundreds of thousands.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jan 4, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

The US consulate in Calcutta is on Ho Chi Minh Avenue.

US embassy in Shanghai is on Urumqi road! Perfidious Chinese already beat us to it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

eSports Chaebol posted:

this stuff about “opacity” and a hidden endgame—I mean doesn’t the party literally publish their plans and goals. isn’t that sort of their whole thing

It's opaque because the writer can't read Chinese.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
huh, but haven't the media been hammering it into our brains that its the perfidious Chinaman doing this.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3163876/us-reportedly-orders-whatsapp-track-some-chinese-users

quote:

Forbes reports that Drug Enforcement Administration order involves seven users in China and Macau, authorised by law that allows such tracing without a full explanation
Case may be connected to an investigation into efforts by Chinese individuals and entities to ship opioids to the US, Forbes says

The US has been secretly tracking a group of Chinese users of the popular messaging service WhatsApp since November, possibly in an effort to halt illegal opioid sales, Forbes has reported.

The US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) ordered WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, to track seven users based in China and Macau, a move authorised by the Pen Register Act, which allows such tracing without an explanation of the reasons for the monitoring, according to the report, which was posted online on Monday.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Stringent posted:

This is why there is a stark difference between China and the West. As bad as things can get, there are many self-correcting mechanisms that eventually curb the worst of the excesses. Cold comfort for those who lose their lives literally or metaphorically I know but when was the last time China had such a soul-searching moment? The day the CCP comes out and acknowledges shitstorms like Tiananmen was a mistake and that those responsible, if still alive should be punished; the day they allow independent media to examine the mass persecution of Falun Gong and unearth those who are responsible and let Falun Gong victims sue the CCP for recompense, I'll be onbard with you.

Until then, I see a giant canyon between CCP led China and Western nations, USA in all its gory injustices included.

Wish I could persecute some Falun Gong fuckos right now.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Why would the Chinese ever trust their health authorities? Don't they know they're all lying?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

vyelkin posted:

One thing that strikes me about this is that the critics seem not to understand just how big China is and how robust its economy is. They see that a city of millions has been quarantined or placed into lockdown or targeted with mass testing, and they think that means that a huge chunk of the Chinese economy has been forced to shut down, without really reckoning with the fact that China is a country of 1.4 billion people and so locking down something like 1.4 million people is still 0.1% of its population. Even if you target a city of 14 million people for more stringent Covid measures, that's still only 1% of the population, which doesn't really register for observers coming from countries like Canada for instance, for whom that would be more than 1 in 3 Canadians.

Add to that the fact that China actually has the state capacity and drive to do things like organize and maintain the logistics to feed millions of people during lockdown, whereas if you locked down the entire population of Ohio they would just be left to fend for themselves, and I think a lot of outside observers are just making a fundamental disconnect between seeing some basic facts about lockdowns or Covid protocols in China and interpreting them through the lens of what it would mean in a different country. Like yes, it's possible that a lockdown of that size and scale actually would collapse the Canadian economy, but that doesn't mean that's a relevant comparison for a much, much larger country that organizes its population and economy in a fundamentally different way.

Yea but this would require actual journalism.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The thing that keeps military budget analysts awake at night is them getting the extremely expensive boondoggle and actually making it work and for cheaper than they ever could. Not an issue for the military industrial complex because now they can lobby some congressmen/senators to buy their new boondoggle thats better than the old one at twice the price.

They already have a working version of a f35 equivalent which by all appearances should start carrier operations in the next few years.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

LMFAO how did I miss this gold buried itt.

Thank you tankie chuck.

But you see, it’s just whataboutism.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

So maybe this is an obvious question but if the ports on the west coast are so backlogged, can they not go unload at Baltimore or something? Or those ships can't fit through the panama canal?

that adds on like 2 weeks to the trip, might as well wait.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LoL, love this guy.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

indigi posted:

what sorta stuff does the PLA do during peacetime

traditionally? had the soldiers grow crops to support themselves. now they do a wide range from disaster relief to running businesses.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

why hasn’t there ever been a double barreled tank like in red alert?

Closest modern thing I can think of, although its a mortar system not a real tank.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

so by military training they mean overthrowing governments friendly to China.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So apparently the definition of "wolf warrior diplomacy" is that China no longer makes excuses for itself and defends its interests instead of kowtowing to the West? How is this not like every other independent country?

You see they're not following decorum. Nevermind the vile rhetoric spewing out from American politicians about China.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Torpor posted:

isn’t there some hockey goaltender guy that joined the Chinese team and nobody gives a poo poo? lol

like half the Chinese women’s hockey team are non Chinese, no one gives a poo poo there.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

China has developed clouds of drones capable of lighting up the night sky in coordinated formations, but US officials are concerned the drones could fly around in formations besides a celebratory display

historically accurate. China just made fireworks with gunpowder while the Europeans rushed to weaponize it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
https://thediplomat.com/2022/02/b3w-might-not-be-able-to-compete-with-bri-in-southeast-asia-but-thats-okay/

quote:

B3W Might Not Be Able to Compete With BRI in Southeast Asia, But That’s Okay

Rather than competing in a sector where China is strong – infrastructure – B3W should focus on U.S. strength areas.

Instead, the Biden administration should turn to other areas of economic and diplomatic engagement. A U.S.-ASEAN digital trade agreement to set regional rules on cross-border data flows, privacy protection, and artificial intelligence is a start. In 2020, China’s trade with Southeast Asia totaled $685 billion, nearly double that of the United States. Such an agreement will be critical given the United States’ continued absence from Asia’s two biggest trade pacts: the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership and the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership. China is a member of the former and recently applied to join the latter.

The United States could also leverage its comparative advantages in healthcare and education to strengthen ties with Southeast Asia. While China enthusiastically provided its domestically produced COVID-19 vaccines to ASEAN countries, leading officials across the region raised concerns about the efficacy of such shots, with many ultimately embracing Western-made boosters. The Biden administration should continue to send vaccines to the ASEAN nations that need it: Countries like Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam have vaccinated less than 25 percent of their citizens. The U.S. should also increase collaboration with local governments to combat diseases like HIV and malaria. The Biden administration took a step in the right direction by allocating $40 million to such efforts last October. Finally, to strengthen cultural ties, the United States should offer more scholarships to Southeast Asian students, a strategy successfully used by the Japanese government. 80,000 students from ASEAN countries study in China, while 60,000 study in the United States.

To compete with China in Southeast Asia, the Biden administration should substantiate B3W’s democratic aspirations. Increasing economic engagement, health cooperation, and student exchanges with ASEAN countries is a

lol, areas of strength such as...Education and Healthcare?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Taco Duck posted:

You are a literal loving idiot

Nah, you are.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

btw how is the Chinese tech industry and companies like HuaWei and stuff handling after their ban from the US and other markets? are they barely holding on or what?

Huawei basically gave up the majority of their cell phone business and sold it off to another Chinese company. They still sell the higher end phones but on a much more limited basis. They are still going strong on 5G infrastructure and are diversifying heavily into other technologies.

More significantly there is full on decoupling from any US reliant semiconductor/microchip suppliers and creating a completely independent supply chain. The Chinese semiconductor industry is taking full advantage.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/11/chinese-chipmaker-smic-posts-record-revenue-despite-us-sanctions.html

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

I think the guy is saying 你去回家还是不再 “Are you going home?" and she says 这次回家比赛 “This time, I'm competing at home."

Guy: Are you coming home or coming to compete.
Gu: This time I'm coming home to compete

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's actually a way crazier lie than 'that's impossible'. If you give an obviously fake number you can make an excuse for it but claiming a loving quarter of people in a province have vanished is something that literally is impossible to hide

yea but it doesn't matter. No one is fact checking these claims, there are no consequences for false reporting. It's just part of the carpet bombing of false information whose only purpose to to make people think "eew evil Chinese".

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Koos Group posted:

That wasn't a new rule. Assuming good faith was part of the posted D&D rules since before I was a mod and I'd probated people for it before anything happened to you.

Some rube did the exact same thing to me and no probation. Please explain.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
For whoever was asking about Huawei earlier, saw this today, great documentary on how Huawei is doing in 2022 with the US sanctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpetgKrZj54

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Feb 25, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
looks like the Chinese evacuated about 1500 of their citizens to Poland, the Chinese ambassador to Ukraine accompanied them the entire way

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
looks like the Chinese did get their hands on that crashed f-35!

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3169582/china-built-ship-pulled-us-navy-jet-wreck-south-china-sea

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

FrancisFukyomama posted:

jeez I’m really hoping that China can squash this outbreak like they did all the others. at least HK seems to have peaked so if they mop up there that’s a lot of pressure off the mainland

it sounds like today and Sunday were lower than Saturday though I’m not sure if China also does the thing where they relax reporting on weekends that the US does

typical MSM ghouls are salivating at the thought of a Chinese outbreak.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Kill All Cops posted:

This person in particular has been shouting into the void to vaccinate the elderly for months:

https://twitter.com/wanderer_jasnah/status/1447807616336334850

It's dorks like this who are causing the vaccine hesitancy. Really, shilling for Sinovac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wonder if the demographic aging crisis that people keep saying means China will surely collapse is worse than western nations just letting a sizable chunk of their population die or get crippled bc open Biden

Not if it just kills olds and infirm.