Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol what, pedestrians step out into the road from being visual barriers all the time
If you can't see due to barriers, you should slow down so that you don't accidentally hit anyone (or anything) that may be behind them. Or, to put it another way:

gradenko_2000 posted:

you're traveling too fast to react accordingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

I didnt know i was powerful enough to just walk into someone and kill them.

Or walk through a house and kill a sleeping family.

I bet you could walk through a house and kill a sleeping family if you tried. It doesn't seem that difficult.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sphyre posted:

not a big fan of yelling at people because they’ve slowed me down for a few seconds or whatever… that’s driver behavior

As a cyclist and fast walker, people who take up the entire path and don't get out of the loving way deserve to get yelled at. You can spend all loving day here if you like, but I have things to do! Let me past!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

“The curfew would more or less be at the officer’s discretion,”
Nothing sus about that.

quote:

"From there, it would be determined, hey, look, we do have a curfew in effect you need to get off the street; to home.”
Good thing everyone has a home to go to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FirstnameLastname posted:

you cannot just move a parked motorcycle by hand

You can. I have. It's not difficult.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't have access to a motorbike at this time, so I am unable to do so. You'll either have to take my word for it or not, but when some dickhead parked their motorbike in such a way as to completely block access to the bike racks at my old flat, I moved it out of the way so I could put my bike away. It wasn't difficult.

I don't know anything about motorbikes so I can't tell you what kind it was, but it looked to me like a normal, average motorbike. Certainly not one of the smaller ones, or a particularly big one. I'll grant you that some of the bigger ones are probably much harder to shift.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

I went to visit a friend on Friday.

Stayed the night and rode back home yesterday.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BonHair posted:

I know how to use multi lane roundabouts: don't! Just don't drive.

I go through a few of them quite frequently on my bike.

If no one was driving then obviously we wouldn't need the roundabouts, but given that other people are driving I do appreciate them because they're far better than any other type of intersection.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BonHair posted:

Or because going to the right side involves crossing a road with cars that will kill you. I am occasionally guilty of a half block in the wrong direction for that reason
Riding on the footpath, at a brisk walking pace, for a short distance, to reach a safe place to cross the road is fine. Everything else people have been talking about here is not.

Don't ride on the footpath. It's for pedestrians.
Don't ride on the wrong side of the road. You're a hazard to anyone going the correct direction.
Don't ride the wrong way along one-way streets. No one is expecting to see you coming and you are a danger to yourself and others.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Most of the people I see riding bikes around here are obviously new and having a really hard time. It's probably not safe for them to follow the law until they're better riders.
It's also not safe for them to be on the footpath around pedestrians. Fortunately there is no shortage of places you can take a bike to practice until you're comfortable riding on the road.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Good thing no one ever has to walk to and from parking spots.
Do you not have a smaller car to drive to your regular car in? You should get one.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, we could build road infrastructure
Sounds like a bad idea.

that's a great idea - most new cars now have wifi and bluetooth, they can just start pinging each other so both the driver and the pedestrian know when they're getting too close
You're thinking needlessly high-tech. Just have all car dashboards emit a chorus of piercing shrieks and screams whenever a proximity sensor detects anything within two metres. That'll keep the driver alert and encourage keeping a safe distance between vehicles.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What are they?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just on a really short downhill section, but what a fun section it is!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

i say swears online posted:

in april i got an apartment specifically because it was on the bus line to work. it took twice as long as the website schedule said (45 minutes to go 5 miles) and by september it was being cancelled about 30-40% of the time, making me wait on the next one and turning the total trip into over an hour
When I was in highschool I used to take the bus in until I realised that I could get there in the exact same amount of time by walking and save the money. Even with a student discount it was well worth it.

When, many years later, I went back to uni to do postgrad, I discovered that there was a bus that ran right from the corner of my street to the front of the university. It took about two weeks for me to give up on that. Buses would arrive late, or not at all, or pretend they didn't see the half-dozen people waiting there and drive on by the stop to avoid increasing the "late service" stats enough that the company would have to pay out compensation. The train (theoretically) took longer and was required more walking, but it was actually reliable so I switched to that.

Second semester I got a bike and have never looked back. Wish I'd bought one years earlier. I should have been riding to highschool instead of walking. It would have been faster than taking the bus. It's usually pretty comparable to taking the train, once you factor in walk/wait times. I still take public transport when the weather's wet, or when I want to drink and not worry about pacing myself, but otherwise the bike's the best option. I never take buses unless it's absolutely unavoidable. Buses suck.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Last time I took the bus there was a dude watching car crash and road rage videos at top volume on his phone
Last time I took the (train replacement) bus, a woman got on loudly and tunelessly singing along to U + Ur Hand by P!NK. A couple of guys took exception to this and started yelling and swearing at her. She turned off the music, but insulted them back. They were not having this and continued to yell and swear about how she was obviously on meth and the driver should throw her off. Eventually it seemed like they were going to let her get the last word in and shut up. Then they started up again, and she responded in kind. This pattern repeated for the entire trip. They just could not let it drop. Even after we all got off the bus, I saw them complaining to the driver that he should have kicked the woman off the bus. gently caress buses.

speng31b posted:

buses aren't cars, they are wheeltrains
All trains have wheels though?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Truga posted:

google maps is loving atrocious for non-car navigation

I find it works fine for walking and public transport, but the bike directions are loving insane. It will literally double the length of your trip and take you out of your way to ensure you get onto a scenic bike path. It'll take pointless diversions off a street and then back onto it (left, right, right, left or vice versa). You'll have to add multiple waypoints along a single street to keep it going in a straight line. There are some corners it refuses to take, so even adding a waypoint just makes it go right up to the corner before turning around and going back to where it originally wanted to. It's annoying as poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Isn't this down to map quality? In most places I've been it's "fine", tho never great.
Nah, there's definitely got to be some weighting in there that's telling it to use bike paths at all costs, and some other bullshit that's making it suggest the little side-street diversions. It doesn't do that for walking or driving directions, so there's some difference in how it picks the route that shouldn't be there - because you can force it to take the straight line route, it'll just fight you every step of the way to get back to its preferred route.

The thing about the weird corners it refuses to use could be a map issue though? Somehow those corners may have been marked as impossible to travel through on a bike? But it's weirdly common on otherwise unremarkable streets.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Also there's no single answer to how much bike directions should weight things to prefer stuff like bike paths
Make it a toggle. "Prefer dedicated bike paths? No, shortest route please." I can tell it "no toll roads" for car directions. I can tell it "no buses" for public transport. It has these kind of options.

Although the public transport options are worse now than they used to be. The "quickest/least walking/fewest transfers" toggle does basically nothing now, whereas it used to actually work, so I don't know what's happened there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"I yelled at stranger on the street and for some reason he didn't like that."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why is this? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BonHair posted:

Or, if you ask my kid, the eighth gear is the highest and thus the best.
That's true though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

And it got me curious if there’s ever been a car design feature as obvious of a bad idea as cathedral doors on convertibles
What's a cathedral door? I tried googling it but just got pictures of the doors of actual cathedrals.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Same reason my realtor told me to offer concessions after the fact rather than reducing the sale price for work that had to be done - it increases the value of their product that they get paid commission on.

I sold my house for $199K. It needed $6k in sewer line work and I was going to discount the price by that much but my realtor went apeshit and said I should sell for full price and do the work out of the proceeds after the sale. Turns out a rising tide lifts all boats if you're a realtor or a car dealership.
Perfect illustration of the parasitic nature of real estate agents.

Sell for $100, pay 10% to real estate agent, spend $10 on repairs, end up with $80.

Or

Sell for $90, pay agent 10%, end up with $81. New owner pays $10 for repairs.

In both cases the buyer pays a total of $100, but in one scenario the agent gets more of your money for absolutely no reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

look at the cars doors, where the handles are, how they might open.

Oh, are they suicide doors? I've never heard therm called "cathedral doors" before. Why are they worse on convertibles than on other cars?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Absolute psychopaths.

But also, the thought process behind "we'll put a bin in the middle of the road; surely no one will just try to go around it?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Look, I don't see how the width of parking bays is at all relevant. Why would you ever want to stop driving?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

Bike commuting to work is the dream.
The best part is riding home right as all the car-drivers are also trying to get home but they're stuck in traffic while you coast right on by. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seems like it would be better to choose a safe speed regardless of an arbitrary sign based on the lobbying of local karens or traffic cops that want to extort people.
When would it ever be safer to go faster than the speed limit? How would that work?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

passing someone going real slow on a two lane highway, better to speed so you spend less time in the oncoming lane (which is why it's legal to do so in some states)

You could simply not go into the oncoming lane. That would actually be the safer option, I think. Just accept that your trip might take very slightly longer due to unforeseen traffic conditions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Of course it's universally safer to go slower, with some exceptions like being significantly than the flow of traffic on a freeway. But people don't drive everywhere at 10mph because they actually want to get places, so in general a good driver tries to maintain a speed that's safe for the road, conditions, and surroundings.
If you need to exceed the speed limit to overtake someone then they are not going slow enough to significantly delay you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

....who's talking about overtaking?
Second Hand Meat Mouth, earlier in the conversation. I read your post in that context. If that wasn't what you meant then you still haven't answered my original question of when you think it would be safer to go faster than the speed limit as you previously implied ("it would be better to choose a safe speed regardless of an arbitrary sign ... It works in both directions").

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

You are approaching the stop sign at this intersection. You notice the no entry sign on the street ahead of you, indicating that you must turn left. Do you a) turn left or b) loving gun it through the one-way and turn right as quickly as you can just in case there's a vigilant cop around (there never is)?

I get off my bike and use the footpath.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

wsdotblog.blogspot.com posted:

Drivers should treat these lights just like any other traffic signal. Yellow means prepare to stop, red means stop.
Is that actually the rule in America or, like here, just what people think the rule is? How does one "prepare to stop"? What would that even mean? Yellow means "stop", red means "wait".

VicRoads posted:

If you are facing a traffic light that is:
  • red, you must stop and don't go into the intersection
  • yellow, you must stop unless you can't stop safely
  • green, you can go through the intersection if there is room for your vehicle on the other side. You are not allowed to block the intersection.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BonHair posted:

The difference between commuting 10km on a regular bike and an ebike is not that you can't do both, it's that it's exhausting to do without the assist every day.
It's not exhausting to ride 10km every day, unless you're trying to go from no riding ever straight to that. Once you get used to it that's trivial.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maed posted:

i haven't owned a car in 13 years, anyone beat me?

I have never owned a car or had a driver's licence. I got a learner's permit when I was 16 (22 years ago) and took a couple of lessons but that was the only time I've ever driven a car.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

graphics card drivers for example

You say that, until an update comes out and suddenly the game that you've been playing without problems for a month stops working and you have to try to figure out how to roll back the drivers and stop them auto-updating but then remember to turn updates back on later because something else doesn't work right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

every intersection of two streets should be an all-way stop if it's not a traffic light imo
so many bad intersections in my neighborhood where t-bones are frequent could be greatly helped by making it an all-way stop.

All-way stops are completely insane. What you want is a roundabout.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

leftist heap posted:

where yall live that there aren't any bumblebees.
Australia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I had no idea they were updating Freeway. Graphics look good but I'm not sure the gameplay's going to hold up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cat botherer posted:

The English call it a “boot” for the same reason they call a windshield a “windscreen,” despite not being a screen: they’re dumb inbreds.

What do you think a screen is? :crossarms:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When I was riding my bike the other day a guy leaned out of the passenger side window of a car and slapped me as he went past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A few people in the comments defending driving on the wrong side of the road and a couple blaming foreigners. :nallears: