Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

DO NOT DO THIS.

You can potentially lose unlimited amounts of money. Ask the hedge fund that went under shorting GameStop in 2021.

You mean the one that was bailed out by other companies both over and under the table and eventually settled for just dissolving and letting the brokers walk away without losing their own personal finances?

Because they definitely should have lost a lot more money, but people were prevented from buying publicly, hedge funds were shuffling stock privately to mitigate a "fellow financial business", and the end result was just closing the doors and doling out the requisite monies. Hell, I didn't even hear of a Wall Street window jumper over it, which is how you know when Wall Street fucks up.

Ups_rail posted:

I still maintain he didnt really want twitter, he just wanted a cover story for the telsa stock sale.

Now twitter needs to make money.

So fire all the twitter people and charge for blue checks

gently caress just people the ability to buy poo poo posts and to buy blocks to the poo poo posts.

You're right about not wanting twitter, but the reason is him being so owned online that he had to swing money around like a bully with a sock full of nickels; he crossed a line after he busted a perfect Ultra Combo of self-ownage and his mouth wrote a check that his dumb rear end had to pony up to because if you give Wall Street that much money, they will flatten the entire nation's population of nice grandmas just to be the first to the bank with that agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

After reading a little about it Mastodon seems less confusing than I originally thought, but it still seems like too much work to set up a nice personal ecosystem just for reading shitposts.

My knowledge of Mastodon is that they use both @ and . in their usernames, and that makes IT people have an aneurysm. :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Why on earth would you keep your wealth tied up in fickle company valuation instead of cashing out into more money than you could ever spend? Does being a billionaire cause brain damage?

If your money is in the company, you can tell it what to do. That's pretty much it. If you cash out, you get however much more or less your control of the company made happen. It's where people who have more than the FDIC limit stick their money so it can not stagnate.

At least, that's my take. Otherwise, you need to juggle like, three dozen accounts and put the bulk of the money in "that one bank in the middle of Manhattan that will only go bust if the Stock Market completely implodes instantaneously."

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo this is about getting crypto to cash out real money and leave monied accounts holding the empty bag :lol:

Son of Rodney posted:

No, it can't be this stupid, you must be explaining it wrong

It mostly is, but if you get a good lawyer to book a decent judge and point out that the company mandated arbitration and lost and their presence in court is a legal tantrum that's costing everyone time and money, then the judge might rule in your favor.

Also companies almost lost their poo poo a hot minute ago when people realized they could game the arbitration clause by mass-filing individual cases by arbitration and forcing the company to pay for said arbitration an obscene amount. But I think they managed to sic a pack of rabid weasels on the issue and made it a non-issue.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

confused posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591851391773200384

This seems like the first sensible thing Musk has done. Creating an enterprise product that they can charge, say, ~$20k-$50k-ish/year per enterprise would generate a ton of money for Twitter.

Bad Purchase posted:

i can't figure out what this is supposed to do.

:lmao: "We're gonna help you spy on your employees' twitter accounts, even if they divorce their work existence and private life into distinct and wholly separate entities." :lmao:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Lonnie wants to identify named people as twitter employees and shitcan them with some bullshit "non-defamation" clause, and then sell this tool once he's done screwing over twitter employees

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

It's one lunch Twitter, how much can it cost? $400?

It's the "add up all the costs in a year and divide by the numbers of people in, as they obviously each ate a lunch of exactly equal value."

It makes no division of service costs vs supply costs, or maintenance/upkeep/replacement vs devalued assets, it's taking every liquid out the pantry, mixing it all together, and wondering why the drink tastes like poo poo :laffo:

This is where Bezos takes Lonnie to court over defamation and agrees to settle the lawsuit through a match of sporting fisticuffs, then he knocks out Lonnie and we all suck his dick for a minute and then bump him down the "billionares to kill first" list by a few places.

:tviv:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/caseynewton/status/1592539948745650176?s=46&t=WECUnvKQpcnlhU3eKVRxLA

It does sound like he’s going after anyone who says anything negative about him no matter how necessary they are

:lol: If there was anyone left in HR, they would have told Lonnie that he has to follow a discipline guideline before termination unless there's an "egregious conduct" clause that allows instant termination, and he'll have to prove that affirmatively. Otherwise, that's wrongful termination, and doing that wholecloth smells like easy money to lawyers :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

My "building a tool to monitor employees' unrelated twitter accounts" doesn't sound as unrealistic anymore, thanks Lonnie :laffo:

Durzel posted:

How much truth is there in the pervasive rumour that Twitter staff (and SV folk in general I guess) have a very cushy working life compared to what most others would experience? I can accept that it's a bit of a meme the whole "1 hour of work, the rest of the day in the rec room", but I wonder what substance there is to it. Obviously that culture is the opposite of what Musk wants, and his "40 hours in the office and you can work the rest of them from home" is too far on the other end of the spectrum. I guess I'm just curious as to whether Twitter was an outlier in terms of productivity vs wellness, or whether that's typical in SV, or whether it's all just hyperbole.

Quite happy to be told that I'm an idiot for even giving it any serious consideration.

Salary is paid to get the job done, and that's why it's both "80 hour workweeks for no additional benefit" and "one hour of work and just don't leave the building the rest of the workday" levels of actual work. If your work relies on making A and B talk to each other and both A and B aren't done, you sit around with your thumbs up your rear end. If your work tells you "make them talk by the end of the week" and that means pulling an unplanned 80-hour week, you get it done. Some contracts rein in those extremes, or offer bonuses for performance over the norm, but it's a job of high demand and they only offer those benefits because if they didn't, someone else would and poach the employee.

Strong Sauce posted:

george hotz is actually very well known for hacking the iphone, android os, and ps3. dude has legit chops.

The PS3 was hacked by being repeatedly tazed in just the right way.

Also some knucklehead just made a random check return the same result, like if your job told you "new password every 30 days BUT you can use the same one over and over again"

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

LOL Elon literally has nine children. He must have knocked up nine women hoping to have a baby in one month.

There's a rule about "don't stick your dick in crazy" but is the inverse true as well, "don't let crazy stick a dick in you"?... :thunkher:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

:sickos:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Posting on the weed page because LOL and DOGE and LOL(again!)

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

All sorts of yummy treats this morning.

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1595105196413448192

Perfect time to get into crypto tbh

:hmbol: Lonnie's about to start paying employees in crypto :hmbol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Elons going to fire him for wanting to get rid of that!

Elon personally told him to get rid of those things because he can't stealth stalk someone who blocked his account by logging out with that thing there. :lol:

kw0134 posted:

Any work of art fixed to a medium is copyrightable and indeed is so automatically under the Berne Convention. The meme would also be a derivative work for which there may be in fact live questions of its own copyright status; in the event the artist can and should absolutely sue the poo poo out of Musk because there's no fair use doctrine for wholesale appropriating an image without credit.

The "transformative work" will do a hell of a lot of lifting in this instance, and courts have upheld more with less, so that's kind of a dead-in-the-water approach. Can't prove Lonnie made the meme(chances are he stole it anyway), and even if he did, it's also political/celebrity content with ol' Diaper Donnie Two Scoops. Defamation for having his works associated with fascism and nazis, now there's a very good angle of attack, because that actively hurts the artist's own reputation by association, and if Lonnie doesn't expunge the content on his own dime, then he's liable under far more statutory amounts that don't need a jury to deliberate on. That's what the Pepe meme guy did, IIRC.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

waffle iron posted:

I am usually big on "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity", but with Musk it's pretty clear that malice is charting at #1 in most things he does.

I. M. Gei posted:

I dunno, I could totally believe his thoughts and actions are led more by stupidity.

It's both. He's doing both. Malice with the dumbest veneer of subtlety possible.

Robo Reagan posted:

i dont think elon is smart enough for dogwhistles but the nazis he keeps interacting with do. i know ive gotten weird recs for stuff on twitter just based on what someone im following said

Someone nazily sent that tweet in the DMs and asked him to respond to it, and he--like a moron--decided that it was a good idea. Whether or not he got the meaning behind the "88" doesn't really matter at that point.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

If it was accurate and he liked it, Lonnie would have cropped the author's watermark off the image MEME :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In all likelihood, Apple will issue a stern warning over the Twitter content, but Lonnie will pull some bullshit about not paying the dev fee, and Tim Apple will let out a huge sigh before pulling the plug.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

They didn't want to let YE see himself out because any injury with his thin skin would be a hell of a liability :lol:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He took some time out during his tirade against apple banning him to ban some furries

https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/1597367936473534465

quote:

Elon's graphine thin skin

:drat:

Tech flex insult right there.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

The 44 Billion Dollar Dong

It makes the "Six Million Dollar Man" sound effect as you scroll by it :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyIBuF73PQ

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fizzy posted:

Rules don't apply to rich people, though.

Rules don't apply to paying rich people. Someone's palm needs greasing, the goal is to use the least amount of grease to get the job done.

Poor Lonnie has no idea who and how though, so he's going to gently caress it up worse than Putin's pants after a stroll down the stairs :lol:

CuwiKhons posted:

I was quoting what I remembered one of my old history professors saying when somebody asked about why Greek statues had tiny dicks, but upon googling it, the only article I can find referencing it has actually since removed the line. Maybe it was bad research. Idk, it's been ages since I've been in college. I did find this when I googled it though:

Greeks were all about being growers, not showers.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

google.com, the website that has become so near-synonymous with the phrase "use a search engine to find it" that is has to fend off genericization of its name due to its ubiquity, is waning.

:chloe:

Midnight Voyager posted:

We're back to Star Citizen constantly reinventing the wheel and acting like nobody's done it before.

Wonder what the overlap is in Musk fans and Citizens.

It's a circle, but one that they *just now* invented, and you're a pedo if you steal it. Also, it's going to take 4 years and a few million before a working model of that circle will be available. :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chrpno posted:

Sooo is it pronounced Eelon, or Ellon?

Chrpno posted:

Is it pronounced Maask, or Moosk?

In the International Phonetic Alphabet: "fʌk stɪk"

The Butcher posted:

Not being allowed to say or imply killing is obviously important from a forums CYA perspective.

That's why I encourage his Mars mission as strongly as possible. It's science and discovery. Human achievement.

We can start with a moon base project if that's still too challenging.

I encourage the planet Mars to send an envoy to Earth in the form of de-orbited space debris, to greet Lonnie personally and with body-vaporizing kinetic energy.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1601935684415225860
I mean at this point just make it LiveJournal, why even stop at 4000 characters. I knew he wanted to raise the character count but I figured it would be 420 characters because lol so zany amirite? Was literally anybody even asking for this?

If you still have a twitter, you're obligated to post a randomly offset "lorem ipsum" for the full 4k characters three times a day, just "for funsies" :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

:hmbol: Thin skin Lonnie killed the account because his poor fee-fees are hurt :hmbol:

This is the kind of copium Capitalist Boer Apartheid Industrialist Racist CEO leadership that will bring about a new the demise of Twitter! :laffo:

:vince:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

How do I tell Vanguard I don’t appreciate them investing my money in losers

No lie get a lawyer to draft a letter telling them the obvious financial hazard of the investment means they may be liable for civil litigation, and that they are strongly advised to reconsider the investment into things that aren't tied to the "capricious volatility swings of a single person." Not sure if they should be put "on notice" or not, but yeah, having a lawyer send your thoughts and considerations usually means it at least gets addressed.

SirPhoebos posted:

If I was working for whoever was the lessor for twitter's office was, I'd be camping at the SF courthouse, waiting for the exact moment I can file eviction like it was a loving Marvel premier.

Stick to the leasing agreement, and seize assets for collateral in lieu of payment, which is even funnier.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

The thing with Tesla's valuation is that it's always been a bunch of pie-in-the-sky bullshit. It's not like Elon went "we sold 100 trillion cars this quarter!" and everyone believed it uncritically based on lots of faked revenue (there is a little shenanigans I'm sure though), it's the idea that Tesla will lead the world into a new era of electric car ownership and will win the race and become the dominant carmaker of the 21st century. Tesla has been quite open about the fact it was unprofitable until recently and its units moved is a drop in the bucket of the overall auto market. There is no obvious fraud besides the delusion its biggest investors were foisting on themselves believing Tesla not only will win the electric car sweepstakes, but that it already has.

Another reason why Tesla's valuation doesn't evaporate despite delivering absolute garbage results is that the big money is in selling off carbon credits. Append the rules on carbon credits to "you can only sell up to 50% of what you use" and Tesla will disappear before the ink signature on the legislation is dry.

waffle iron posted:

The other selling point to retail stock buyers was that Tesla would use their first mover status to rapidly create a full line of cars at all price points with high production to become a consumer driven monopoly on electric cars. Then the finances were so bad/tight that they never moved down market and prioritized building top level trim cars. Their year over year production numbers have increased, but the eschewing high levels of factory automation has hurt them very bad.

Reminds me of the story about Ford going to England to have a looky-loo at the Rolls Royce factory and being absolutely :psyduck: at what he saw.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What the gently caress does this mean

It means " 'Cash is king' but which cash is the cashiest cash around?" and the answer is usually the American dollar, hands down. Ease of access, conversion, and lack of volatility are key factors, and it's trying to make the digital cryptocurrencies into some kind of "faster than cash" concept, because it's all electronic, you see, ignoring the conversion or lack of volatility aspects.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

I wanna hear more about this.

Can't find the story off the top of my head, but the short version is that Rolls Royce at the time still hand-made and hand-tuned their machines(particularly the engines for airplanes), and had little to no precision interchangeable parts in any of the construction(which seriously fucks up a military standard). U.S. sent a rep to see why the engines were poo poo and it turns out "hand-crafted" with no precision machining is bad for mass-production.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

:lol: eating too much broccoli can cause blood clots :lol:

I can guarantee that the blood clots statistic was in there before it went mass production, but "the benefit outweighed the risk" when everyone was dying left and right. And it still outweighs the risk.

Doub:lol::lol: that everyone I know and then some is catching covid this Christmas but not dying because they're all vaccinated, but it's still putting them down for a few days like a bad flu.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Elon would be run out of BYOB lmao

You say this like he wasn't already at some point :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Mods can see how you vote threads and it's all a honeypot to catch the worst posters

Stay tuned.......

Post the 1s

Data Graham posted:

Hmmyes it is extremely plausible that a guy is a competent

a) rocket scientist

I haven't seen Lonnie play Kerbal Space Program NOT ONE TIME he's a sham and a fraud and can gently caress off to Mars rear end-first.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

Is his dumb rear end gonna try to get rid of likes?

:yeah:

That one moment on stage, rent free this whole drat time :elon:

This is the Daycare Dude in Pokemon, but for Pokemon Go.

Croccers posted:

I just noticed how he said WE in that tweet.

200% salty that Tim Apple didn't play ball and told him to "ONCE AGAIN, GO gently caress YOURSELF" :elon:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I slightly worry about suggesting to Lonnie that "laminated windshields don't shower you in glass shards, unlike door windows" without telling him that they're supposed to do that to allow you a way out instead of trapping you in the car, because he's dumb enough to make that poo poo mandatory.

But only slight worry because if you're paying good money for a Tesla after all this, you kinda deserve to let the car kill you, HAL-style.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

spoilers: it's because he doesn't want to solve the 'problem' with immigrants.

The weeb dream of impregnating all of Japan like a doughy modern Genghis Khan :allears:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FirstnameLastname posted:

any car without electric mirrors or defrosting mirrors you can pop the side mirrors off with like a screwdriver and a couple wrenches
they're never a solid part of the structure

in a lot of states you only need the left one, I think some only actually require a rear view mirror which is stupid as hell

IIRC last time I checked the Texas DPS rules and statutes for vehicle inspection, you need functioning windshield wiper blades, but you don't actually need the windshield.

Ror posted:

there is no way an ordinary napkin has any appreciable level of fart stink retention, this seems like a hollow threat

Spray fart :colbert:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

When was the last time there was any sort of breakthrough in how to bore tunnels? The Channel Tunnel between England and France? I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think since then all we've got is marginal improvements on existing techniques/technology.

Digging/boring tech had its most recent innovation in oil well drilling technology, because building a new well is X amount of money, but just drilling horizontally from below an existing well is considerably less than X. So it's flexible boring tech for turn-friendly machinery. That's pretty much it I think.

These are the same oil companies that are turning billions in profit yet still receive millions in government subsidies in the U.S. that they readily claim, as though they really are destitute and struggling, and yet the U.S. still pays out :iiam:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/1610399203481784320

Time for the twitter ads left to get even shittier and more propaganda.

I'd suggest callout ads telling Lonnie to gently caress off forever like the manchild he is, but that would be giving him money in the process. 5D chess move? :elon::elon::elon::elon::elon:

My bicycle can tow near infinite mass... if I'm going on a steep enough grade downhill :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

busalover posted:

all I can see is that Robocop game from the 90s

Turn your RTX on

EDIT: double post, still working better than twitter dot com

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Obviously it doesn't hurt one's chances of becoming the former world's richest human

Fixed that for ya, champ :lol:

Lamech posted:

Man burns car at Tesla Solar Plant "for the future"

https://twitter.com/8NewsNow/status/1611562531012894720?s=20

I think "stayed" is "said"

good try, but:

Not to defend a destructive rear end in a top hat, but unless MGM is piping some of that electricity into a municipal output and the general public at large, it's not an attack on public infrastructure and therefore not entirely domestic terrorism by action(intent notwithstanding), and also completely private property of that magnitude can get hosed :colbert:

This is where you find out what music someone likes, call your industry connections, and get that person--specifically by name--banned from their favorite band venues.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can’t see why a judge would allow you to pick where your trial would be, even if they agree that the original site is biased

Venue transfer is not about the bias, it's about the degree of bias. Northern California is all pretty much tied to San Francisco unless you're one of those radical conservative nutjobs in the rural hills surrounding, and SF is a big tech town; most people touched that business either through employment, business dealings, or personal/professional interactions. Finding someone who has/had investments in Twitter is basically "one or more in a dozen" and that's quite a lot.

I'd say there's at least enough merit to make the argument, but sending it to western Texas is far too great a swing. I'd argue to have the change of venue to Washington state's Seattle/Portland area, where it's also a tech town, closer to California, and the bias claim doesn't have such weight.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

Here's the thing, nobody (well maybe somebody but I sure don't) knows who Soros is. Like we might know the whole anti semitic boogeyman but the real person? :shrug: Elon though? Yeah we know who the gently caress he is he won't shut up and stop being poo poo so it's kind of hard to not know.

They know Soros like they know Antifa: a word used as fast-talking political jargon to rile them up and make them angry at some bogeyman threat, real or otherwise. Which adds to the ability to project additional projection into those words simply because someone trusted is saying it, e.g. "Antifa are actually false flaggers paid by Soros, who are communist nazis out to de-masculine the U.S." :lmao:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ishikabibble posted:

front trunk

it's a word

because what the hell else would you call it when your car has a trunk in both the front and rear

A hood trunk, a hunk

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Durzel posted:

It wasn't random..

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1615405842735714304
Twitter just enforcing its long standing rules that these third party apps have presumably been abiding by for 10+ years without issue, until now.

It's either arbitrary enforcement as decreed by his royal whineness, Lonnie, or they got so many 3rd party API complaints and requests they just packed up the department and told all the complainers, "Fly away, nerd!" but in a less cool way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/20/23564629/elon-musk-twitter-testimony-securities-fraud-trial

"Elon Musk admits at trial that he ignored pleas to stop tweeting"

They have a list.

"Among the people who asked him to stop tweeting are Antonio Gracias, a former director on Tesla’s board, investors Ron Baron and Sam Teller, Musk’s former de facto chief of staff, and other close associates."

"I suppose I continued to tweet, yes,” Musk replied when asked if he ignored his advisors and investors."

"Posting through it" is now a matter of legal record :hmbol: