Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Seeing Avatar 2 in theaters tomorrow for my first movie of 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

What are some good documentaries? Tired of the Netflix churn of them

F for Fake

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Here's hoping that lightning strikes twice!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I need to finish Yakuza 0 sometime, it owns.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

"Background fighters" what does that even mean?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's just a very solid little ghost story that makes its limitations into strengths.

The ghosts are also really cool looking.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

What are the best scenes in film?

The T-Rex breaking out in Jurassic Park is one of the most well constricted setpieces ever made.

The reveal of Shelly Winters in the water in The Night of the Hunter.

The part where the guy's chest opens up in The Thing.

The coke dealer robbery in Boogie Nights.

"I threw that poo poo before I walked in the room!" in Black Dynamite.

Edit: yeah also the laughing scene in Evil Dead 2, really everything from Ash's hand turning on him through to that moment is incredible.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 6, 2023

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

checkplease posted:

Yeah was apparently 80 million for actors. What is other 70 she wanted for? Oh and yeah Netflix was going to give her 130.

Michael Fassbender kept eating the money so she had to keep asking Netflix for more. He says biting into a stack of hundred dollar bills between each take like it's a big hamburger fuels his "actor powers."

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

That sucks, he was always great when he popped up in a stuff and 60 is way too young.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

But that would include They Came Together, one of the best comedies nobody has ever watched

I really liked in that movie the way that New York City was kind of like a character in the story.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How about this topic of discussion: which would be the worst movie to get a sequel?

Citizens Kane

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Random question:

Should I do a CD feedback thread? I was thinking of a new rules thread that would also be an ongoing feedback thread. Y/n?

Random thought:
I'd like to bring aboard a co-mod. Life is getting busy for me and there's some threads that are blind spots for me. I'm open to suggestions but I think a thread for the community to nominate people/themselves is better than me just picking a co-mod.

I think a combined rules and feedback thread similar to what's in games would work well for here.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Is there any film more Teflon?

I can remember seeing the movie Killer Elite in theaters but have no memory of any details beyond the fact that Clive Owen had a cop mustache. I couldn't even remember the name of the movie until recently when something made me think "what was that movie where Clive Owen had a cop mustache?" and I looked up his IMDB.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Congrats on number 2 MZ! I had my second kid last year and the trickiest part for me was remembering all the baby care stuff my brain had deleted as soon as I didn't have to do it anymore as the first kid got older.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

In Norway, Harry is considered to be such a toxic name that not even the success of Harry Potter could change it (the past few years a grand number of zero kids have been named Harry). Over the years the name has become a synonym for tacky or vulgar and it would probably be considered cruel to name someone Harry.

Does this mean that the character Harry Hole from the hit film The Snowman and related book series has a name that's vulgar in both American and Norwegian cultures but for entirely different reasons?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

That's really tough but I'm leaning towards Brooks, though that may just be because good comedies are such a rarity nowadays that the thought of someone releasing two all-timers in one year seems like a monumental achievement.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

The Pope's Exorcist II: Luigi's Mansion

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I'll do it for this month. I can post a thread tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

And posted!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

This movie I’m watching has so many upsetting anuses.

The Holy Mountain is a pretty wild movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

therattle posted:

https://twitter.com/Repugned/status/1661076639357214720?s=20

(Disclosure: this is my account. Yes, I am promoting a tweet I wrote).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRvXlJggANA

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

They got a different director (Tim Miller) to do a bunch of reshoots after Eli Roth hosed off to film Thanksgiving

The truth is that Randy Pitchford left behind a big puddle of grease while he was visiting the set and Eli Roth slipped on it and slid right into the craft services table at an incredible speed. He died instantly.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I've seen very few musicals but I'd love to see the Les Miserables musical adapted to film by a director who is not an incompetent boob.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I agree on the carriage segment being on the low end of the Scruggs ranking. The actors are fun enough to watch that I don't think it's terrible but it's otherwise just not very interesting. I also didn't much care for "The Girl Who Got Rattled" because the whole thing kind of feels like a waste of time by the end.

I like the other segments, especially the Waits one, but the titular Ballad might have worked better elsewhere in the movie because the rest of the shorts can't help but feel lacking in comparison to strong opening.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Crimson Peak gets a lot of points from me for having some really cool sets but it's definitely 20-30 minutes too long and they don't show the cool ghosts enough.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

It's not even a short film, it's a commercial for cognac.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I feel like in terms of quality per second of screentime, like, if you can rate how good a movie is by volume, this is the best movie ever made.

https://twitter.com/NetflixIsAJoke/status/1669691294011076612?s=20

People have pointed out the resemblance between Robinson and George C Scott in Dr. Strangelove before but this sketch feels the most like he's deliberately trying to channel that performance.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I can't think of any Aaron Taylor-Johnson performance I've liked and Kraven doesn't look like it will change my opinion. He sounded sleepy in that trailer.

They should have just had Crowe as a slovenly Kraven rampaging through New York hunting Spider-Man.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Icelandic government is going to pay me money to write a tv show about monsters.

(My grant application to the Icelandic film fund got the ok)

That owns, congrats!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Honestly I respect his creative way to get out of going to a work function.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I've never had any problems resulting from reserved seating. In fact it usually means I can get guaranteed good seats as long as I'm buying the tickets a few hours before showtime.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

All of the theaters in my area have converted to the big recliner seats, which I do like, but there's something about the old fashion lovely folding theater seats that I miss sometimes. They just have a certain vibe that's missing with the new setup.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Azhais posted:

The "I hope this seat survives the whole two hours" vibe

Not a concern if you're seeing a good movie because then the only part of the seat you'll need is the edge.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Three Thousand Years of Longing was great. It's not George Miller's best but it's a strong contender for the best movie Elba's been in.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

There are zero good Wicker Man movies.

Me, reading this post:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

This is incredible but also for some reason reminded me of this scene in Columbo of Peter Falk loving up walking down a steep hill that I assume was an accident they just kept in the episode because it's hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5vFOEAPec

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a remastered Oldboy in theaters?

Back when I was in college my friends and I were hanging out one night and decided to rent a movie from Blockbuster. We narrowed it down to two choices, one of which was Oldboy. I didn't know much about it beyond that I'd heard it was really good and had a hammer fight so I insisted that it would be a good choice. It ruled but it was a very bad choice as a chill hang out night movie lol.

The other movie we almost rented instead was Tank Girl.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Sandler has always been a good actor, he just doesn't seem to have much interest in doing stuff outside of the easy money Happy Madison productions very often. Watch Punch Drunk Love or Uncut Gems if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Goons. What is your dad’s favourite movie?

Dumb and Dumber