Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Hey everyone, my band's celebrating 9/11 in style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=514xJbSF_z0

hope you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on he two deiiferent versions of Serpent Temptation by Incubus. Which one do you like better?

The older one, it's more raw and the vocals don't sound so much like Max Cavalera's.

The main thing I remember about Incubus was when the cd store guy tried to give me the speech about how they weren't the popular Incubus when I bought the Serpent Temptation/Beyond the Unknown digipack a million years ago. I was all like "no man, I know what's up." The guy was pretty impressed.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Good to see someone repping Skullfist, Cauldron, Shotgun Cure and Untimely Demise (I don't know the others). All good dudes who make good music! If you want to check out some other really good Canadian speed metal bands, Stinger (Calgary), Gatekrashor (Calgary) and Striker (Edmonton) are all pretty sweet.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 14, 2013

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Hey. Sorry if this has been asked already not long ago, but can you guys point me in the direction of good newer Canadian metal bands? Mostly looking for stuff in the vein of Mitochondrion, Antediluvian, and Begrime Exemious, plus really good grindcore, doom and sludge.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

The Clit Avoider posted:

Paroxsihzem, any reason it has to be Canadian though?

I'm doing a radio show in Canada and have CanCon requirements. I'm pretty well-versed in Canadian metal, but I was wondering if anyone here knew something that I didn't. That clip is new to me and pretty badass, thanks!

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

nerve posted:

Did we suddenly stop counting At The Gates or something

Dimebags Brain posted:

At the Gates isn't cool and they ruined death metal for everyone.

oh hey look, internet posturing

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

nerve posted:

Hi I'm nerve and I don't like the band At the Gates please think I'm cool

Well ok, Just this one time.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Morbid Florist posted:

In Flames hopped on the suck bus long before he left

I like the first two albums. Oh, how I recall those halcyon days of the late 90s-2000 when In Flames and the rest of the Gothenburg scene could do no wrong.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 6, 2013

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Apparently Massacre are no longer clients of Eric Greif, after guitarist Rick Rozz posted a facebook status trashing the Death To All tour, while they were on the tour.

That wasn't very smart of him.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

IronLawnmower posted:

From Beyond rules but goddamn that's stupid. I feel bad for the rest of the band.

While Rick Rozz and Kam Lee are legends for their involvement in the development of death metal in its infancy, their interviews as well as stuff that I've read about them suggests that neither of them are the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
This thread's reaction to #metalgate warms my heart. I mean, a non-insignificant chunk of metal fandom is made up of neo-nazis and metal shows are almost always 95% white guys. I think the video games crowd is actually much more inclusive than us, and that's saying something.

Also, given that SR Prozak once ran the nazi.org website, this is some serious acting-in-bad-faith that, unfortunately, Pantera fans will eat up.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
At the news of his death, metalheads around the globe turned their heads toward the sky and screamed. They were not screams of grief, but rather they were making a warning to the spirits that Lemmy was about enter their realm.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
So now every other AC/DC show will get cancelled

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
re: new Metallica

Honestly, I think that even if they made a new album that was super great it still wouldn't measure up or move me like their earlier stuff or even an album by another band possibly would. Any new Metallica album, no matter how good, would have to compete with a body of work that not only has music that I enjoy from the standpoint of pure music analysis, but also has a bunch of other emotions and memories baked into it due to it being one of the pillars of my adolescence. You know, stuff like it being the soundtrack to parties that I went to in high school, jamming on riffs with my friends when we were all first learning how to play our instruments., or listening to it on my discman walking to and from school. Even if an album like Ride The Lightning was somehow full of other songs and their new album was the RTL songs, I still probably wouldn't like it as much. and think that there was something off about it

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
It feels like there's way more people out there doing publicist side hustles these days. Just recently, I had some label in Poland who emailed me out of the blue offering to sign my death metal project. For a brief second I was pretty stoked, thinking The Underground hadn't failed us after all and there's still labels out there signing up unknowns. Then I let the guy pitch his deal and it turned out that he wanted like 2 grand to print up 500 cds for release on his label and then mail them to blogs/magazines/whatever, then spend a few months bugging said places into writing reviews. I, of course, declined, because that's a stupid waste of money. Then I recalled that I know a few people irl that do this kind of work, and the email address that I have for my university radio show gets emails from these dudes as well. There's an awful lot of them.

I do have to wonder though, how long has this business model been around in the metal scene? I have this fuzzy idea that, back in the 80s and 90s, labels both big and small operated based on the sales of their catalog, but what the hell do I know? It's definitely a super not-glamorous aspect of the business, so I wouldn't expect a lot of bands to talk about their experiences.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 19, 2016

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ANUS has always been a bit wonky but the past 2 or 3 years has be absolutely terrible. Every time I see someone print "SJW" I cringe. Especially since I know SR Prozac/Brett Stevens has been writing about metal since ANUS was just text files on an FTP site, meaning he's probably over 40 years old.

I miss when he just wrote incomprehensible reviews out of a giant word salad.

I think what happened is that Prozak really got into twitter in the last few years. I mean the dude has rolled with white supremacists online for a super long time (the old forum on anus.com more or less functioned as a recruitment tool for the National Alliance, going back to 15 years ago even) but the rise of gamergate and the "alt right" on the internet kicked his activities into overdrive. Now it's just endless rants about SJWs and posts about cyberstalking Kim Kelly.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Has anyone here heard Infamovs? They have an album coming out later this month and god drat is it heavy. It reminds me a little bit of when Kataklysm was a good band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUftRum-SAo

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
People should have boycotted Marduk 20+ years ago for being so lovely and boring.

Also, this was a few pages ago but:

MikeCrotch posted:

So i've been listening to Possessed since they are playing Bloodstock this year and i've never seen them, and:

1. They are pretty good
2. Did they really only release two actual albums and an EP?

There were a couple of demos released in the early 90s with Mike Torrao and a bunch of other dudes that were also good!

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The rumors were true...

Dates:

Wed/Jul-12 Bemidji, MN @ Sanford Center
Tue/Jul-18 Columbus, OH @ Express Live! (Outdoors)
Thu/Jul-20 Raleigh, NC @ Red Hat Amphitheater
Fri/Jul-21 St. Augustine, FL @ St. Augustine Amphitheatre
Sun/Jul-23 Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory Outdoors
Tue/Jul-25 Boston, MA @ Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
Thu/Jul-27 New York, NY @ The Theater at Madison Square Garden
Fri/Jul-28 Baltimore, MD @ Pier Six Pavilion
Sun/Jul-30 Nashville, TN @ Nashville Municipal Auditorium
Tue/Aug-01 Bonner Springs, KS @ Providence Medical Center Amphitheater
Wed/Aug-02 Broomfield, CO @ 1st Bank Center
Fri/Aug-04 Las Vegas, NV @ The Joint
Sat/Aug-05 Inglewood, CA @ The Forum
Wed/Aug-09 San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
Fri/Aug-11 Eugene, OR @ The Cuthbert Amphitheater
Sat/Aug-12 Seattle, WA @ WaMu Theater
Mon/Aug-14 Dawson Creek, BC @ Encana Events Center
Tue/Aug-15 Fort McMurray, AB @ SMS Equipment Stadium at Shell Place
Thu/Aug-17 Bonner, MT @ KettleHouse Amphitheater
Sat/Aug-19 Albuquerque, NM @ Isleta Amphitheater
Sun/Aug-20 Phoenix, AZ @ Comerica Theatre

Hahaha holy poo poo. I used to live an hour away from Dawson Creek. Playing Encana Events Center is a sure sign that a band has lost all relevancy - Marilyn Manson, Megadeth, and Godsmack have all played there in the last few years, while missing major cities on the tours where this venue pops up. And now a Slayer/Lamb of God show. I guess all the rednecks up north will be happy that they don't have to drive all the way to Edmonton or Calgary to see them this time.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Zodijackylite posted:

Montreal has some smaller festivals: Wings of Metal, Messe des Morts, Covenant, and Rrroooaaarrr.

Of course, Wings of Metal is sold out and happening for the last time this September, Messe Des Morts was shut down early due to a terrorist attack last year, Covenant is normally in BC but did a Montreal edition this year, and I donno if Roar still exists.

We also have Earslaughter, which had a bunch of MDF bands, and Pukefest which is more goregrind oriented. I don't think we'll be having another Messe Des Morts. Sketchy black metal shows and bands in general are not having a great time in general in Montreal due to increased attention paid to that scene by antifa and the like as a result of protests surrounding the appearance of Graveland, so most black metal bands from out of the country are starting to just play in Quebec city nowadays.

Montreal is also not having Heavy Montreal this year. In its place will be a Guns N Roses concert since I guess Evenko (our production company that puts on all of the big shows) figured out that they would be able to get similar or greater ticket sales with way less of the overhead of bringing in 20-30 bands. Or at least GnR's guarantee is somewhat cheaper than or equal to the aforementioned 30 bands put together. Rockfest, in the neighboring town of Montebello, was also just this last weekend, but its lineup for this year's edition wasn't that great. It did, however, have this.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 27, 2017

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I thought for sure that would be some punk or powerviolence band but:

USA out of Vietnam are also the band in town fronted by the resident "cool rock critic" from the local alternative newspaper

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
It's really frustrating how something that has given me so much joy throughout the years can simultaneously be a gigantic bummer. loving metalheads.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Vintersorg posted:

I've heard the guys from Annihilator are huge pieces of poo poo but when you create Alison Hell you have reign to do whatever.

What wordplay.

Ehh, the fact that those dudes are the type of guys who take unknown bands on tour, charging them ridiculously exorbitant buy-on fees for the "privilege" of opening for Annihilator pretty much shits on whatever goodwill they might have built from that first album.

I mean it's also on the bands somewhat for agreeing to pay, but it's still kind of a scumbag thing to do.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 5, 2018

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

The Muppets On PCP posted:

too evil for ya, eh? :v:

semi-related but one of the sillier of those dumb people reacting to entry-level metal youtube channels that have sprouted up like herpes is this married couple, presumably evangelicals, who read way, way too much into stuff and try to shoehorn what they think the bible says into lyrics. they were really turned off by ghost because they thought they might be actual satanists

the best one is when they took that one nile song about isis destroying monuments at face value convinced they were legit jihadists

Lost in Vegas is generally a pretty entertaining watch despite the guys not liking anything heavy, but literally all of the other channels in that genre of youtube are so dumb.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Maryland Death Fest just announced their first confirmed 25 bands today:

Bethlehem (Germany)
Blood (Germany) - Exclusive U.S. appearance!
Brutality
The Chasm
Cro-Mags
D.R.I.
Frightmare
Full of Hell
Grotesque Organ Defilement (Canada)
Guttural Secrete
Hideous
Immolation
Indian
Mortician
Outre-Tomb (Canada)
Pestilence (Netherlands)
Scour
Skaphe
Squash Bowels (Poland)
Sulaco
Tomb Mold (Canada)
Unanimated (Sweden) - Exclusive U.S. appearance!
Vault Dweller
Violator (Brazil) - Exclusive U.S. appearance!
Vomitory (Sweden) - Exclusive U.S. appearance!

I got to see Blood last year at Montreal Earslaughter. They are loving sick. Outre Tombe are great, too.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Dimebags Brain posted:

Cirith Ungol just dropped a new song. It’s a killer.

https://cirithungolofficial.bandcamp.com/releases

Happy to hear that the singer still sounds kind of like Dr Rockso

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'm an old, so I put on Headhunter by Krokus to psych myself up to yell at some kids on my lawn. Man, that album is great and I really dig Marc Storace's vocals. He would have been great in AC/DC had that panned out.

There must be a copy of that album in every used shop in north america. Stained Class in Toronto even made wallpaper out of their multiple copies!

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol when I read this, I thought "I wonder if thats the album with the red skull thing on it" and sure enough, that was the one that filled an entire row in the $5 used bin at my local shop.

It's that album, Loudness' "Unleasedin the East" and Black Sabbath's "Seventh Star ft. Tony Iommi" that form the triumvirate of metal records that never left the used section.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wait has exhorder been touring this whole time or what?

I caught them at Quebec deathfest earlier this month. It wasn't that bad!

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I find it really hard to give bands poo poo over merching heavily since it allows them to get more direct income they don't have to share with record companies.

Partly because I've read about just how bad Spotify fucks people who get tons of streams.

Besides, Behemoth is nowhere near as bad the Misfits. Or KISS or Slayer.

Ehh, it really depends with some band merch since some of the newer 360 deals aren't that great. I've heard about nuclear blast giving bands 90/10 deals on merch and music sales.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Fenrir posted:

Wow, hot takes from anus.com in 2019. Do the farts you're huffing smell any different after sitting in the jar for 15 years?

Going on the anus bbs was fun until I realized it was a recruiting arm for the neo-nazi org, the National Alliance.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

tomb mold rules but I don't know if it's just me or what but it seems like they came out of nowhere?

or maybe it's just because they released 2 full lengths just 1 year apart and seem to be on the verge of another?

They've only been around for a few years, and their last album got noticed right away by writers and ended up on a ton of year end lists. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Parachute posted:

hell yeah buddy

Montreal AND Sherbrooke? Hails, you fuckin maniacs...

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

The three album covers from Slayer that didn't look like rear end. I remember seeing the album art from South of Heaven and Reign in Blood when I was a kid and thinking that they looked SO evil.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A product of the time we came up in:

I remember when the shocking/gory covers would get covered up by chains/mom and pop stores with cardboard sleeves. But sometimes they'd be weirdly selective about what they did and did not cover up, locally.

Cannibal Corpse? Yeah, they got covered. Regardless of how you feel about the debate, that makes sense from a pro-censorship perspective.

Jane's Addiction's "Ritual de lo Habitual"? Got covered.

Carcass' "Reek of Putrefaction"? Nope.

Oh I remember this. I don't think stores have covered up album covers since the 90s. What I saw a lot were stickers that went over the entire cover slapped on the cellophane, or straight on the jewel case with one store that I used to frequent. Deicide's albums also got covered up.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Popular Human posted:

Tau Cross just got dropped from their label for thanking a Holocaust denier in the liner notes of the upcoming album:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/relaps...mmVxm0IDKRe2I4Y

Between this and the news about Vektor, it’s been a rough few weeks.

Kinda wrecks Voivod too, since Away plays in that band.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Shamed posted:

For what it's worth, Kim is also the person who used to brag about owning shitloads of NSBM LPs. Also the person who managed Anal oval office, who by the end were completely unironically shitheads.

This is/was her bestie doing this interview: http://mourningtheancient.com/demonic.htm

(check out the answer below "the world we live")

I think the message is good, but it feels very disingenuous that she's the one leading this charge.

Why? People change.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, this Pretty Maids band loving rules.

This is the most powerful move in rock.

Why aren't these guys huge? gently caress an Anvil - I need a doc on Pretty Maids.

Red Hot and Heavy is a great album. I think they were fairly successful in Europe and Japan but never went anywhere in North America. Not heavy enough for the thrash metal crowd and too "speed metal" for glam rockers I guess.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Malaria posted:

I stumbled across the band Massacre from youtube recommendations today.

This album is pretty cool. And the cover art rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8SfWn2QHY

It's Death's Leprosy minus Chuck, great album. The demo tapes preceding it are essential oldschool death metal as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Lifeglug posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodias

It’s a painting of Herodias with the head of John the Baptist.

I've wondered for a while if the cover of None So Vile was intended by the band as a nod to them being from Quebec, since John the Baptist is the patron saint of Quebecois and Fete de la St Jean is their big national holiday.