Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ultrafilter posted:

Not quite 50 miles of it, but yeah.
It would be way more if New Jersey would do everyone a favor by finally going ahead and sinking into the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Aren’t you from Florida???
I was a Jaguars fan because I'm from a part of PA very close to Jersey that is bursting with obnoxious Eagles fans, such that even at the ripe young age of like 5 I liked the cowboys because they beat the eagles a lot. Thankfully after a few short years I realized that was even worse so I started rooting for the Jaguars when they were created.

I'm proud of myself for avoiding being a Cowboys fan but uh, my decision making still needs some work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

Run Nebraska’s panhandle north of Wyoming and you can greatly simplify the Nevada corridor.
If we're going to go that far then Minnesota's should go along the Canadian border and Nebraska would take its place. Which would also gently caress with Powered Descent's color scheme bahaha

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

Are we sure that they haven’t?

That area is east of Merzouga.

It follows an elevation contour.
Of course there are straight lines near it. So random that its just this one spot?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Private Speech posted:

Why does everyone hate on New Jersey so much, anyway?

NB: I'm not American.
The drivers from NJ are unbelievably bad, their license plate is piss yellow, their state is shaped like a turd and smells like one too, they import trash to dump in landfills, and everyone from the more populous parts of the state are arrogant assholes while people from the less populous states are the worst kinds of hicks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Jersey Shore

The show, not the actual area
Nah this hatred runs much deeper and longer than that. The show only made it worse.

Jersey drivers are the worst, though. I see a Jersey license plate I'm assuming they're going to gently caress things up somehow
My man.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

Turkey should be removed, too.
Hungary too while they're at it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

Europe drawn from memory
I'm disappointed that Rhodes gets a little piece but none of the Danish islands that are bigger got anything. Or Gotland or Cyprus. Otherwise...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I initially thought this post was saying that the number 2 cause of death in Georgia (the country) is Russia
Thats what I read it as and assumed it was correct, because, well uh, yeah.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

My first guess was that they were some kind of enclave of people descended from the Hungarian aristocrats that ruled the area back in the day, but apparently there's a group of hungarian people hanging around that area for a thousand years, or at least as far back as coherent records go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sz%C3%A9kelys

There's not a certain answer about how they ended up there, but there is largely a theory that they were originally meant to guard the frontier, which they're right on the Carpathians, so that'd be a good spot to do it from. They historically had some kind of autonomy, in the soviet days they were the Magyar Autonomous Region, and they're still pushing for some kind of autonomy now.

Isnt Prussia mostly ethnically Russian at this point? I thought I remembered reading that the Russians forced most of the Germans out when they took over.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, since "ethnicity" doesn't actually mean anything outside of racism, sure why not.

In practice, no.
Um, what? So you think I'm being some sort of weird racist or something?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FishBulbia posted:

drat imperialists just drawing lines on maps without consulting the local penguin population

there is still a tim hortons further north than this, so Canada obv has the best claim

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...4!4d-62.3461246
Why is there an embassy there?!?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What the hell did Delaware do that was so important?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gunpowder, chemicals. Delaware provided the stuff that blew up America's enemies from the Revolution onward, that's how the DuPonts made their money. It's why northern Delaware has so many pretty gardens
Yup, that sounds pretty important!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BonHair posted:

The dairy theory is probably not bad, but there's also the chance that they forgot to mention something they did.
Or didnt know something that someone else did. I would not be surprised if some guy was sneaking out banging the wife of the nearby tribe's chief.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phlegmish posted:

Took me a few seconds to realize this wasn't a serious map. I mean, whoever heard of 'Basque'? Ridiculous
It had me until I saw Mathematics in Kansas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yes, Persia/Iran was "allied".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reveilled posted:

Is this...the EU3 map?
That was my first thought/question.

Also why is magenta not part of the Africa list?

Koramei posted:

Was gonna do North America and countries and stuff but got lazy

I'm the Aral Sea.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kamrat posted:

It's just flipped:

What projection is it? I feel like its one based on the equator and thus the 'top' of the earth feels elongated.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kamrat posted:

I believe it's the Plate carrée-projection

Shoot, like Guavanaut said like five posts up. Thats what he was talking about :cripes:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Why get rid of Ireland? Thats just mean.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pretty sure that's just Kostanay looming over Europe via weird map projection, not Russia.

Politically-loaded because it's called Kazakistan rather than Qazaqstan or Қазақстан
RIP the Aral Sea

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

I count 13?
Are you counting Michigan twice?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

Alaska
Hawaii
Washington
Idaho
Montana
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
The map doesnt have Hawaii colored yellow, despite Hawaii being a top-notch state.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, it’s small on my phone so I assumed, since it’s the most northerly state at its longitude I think? My bad.
No sweat, I was trying to figure out why the tweet said 13 :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Triggered by the green taking the southern philippine islands and skipping them for the red
Yeah my eye is twitching a bit. Also the fact that if Japan and more of Indonesia was included the red circle could be a lot smaller.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://twitter.com/OffensiveNatur3/status/1549868063994134528/photo/1

SlothfulCobra posted:

Incidentally, Hawaii has a pretty high homelessness rate, because when people there hit on hard times or they just weren't planning right when they were staying there, it's a relatively comfy climate to be homeless in (because they won't die of exposure) and they often can't afford to go somewhere cheaper or make their way to find friends or family to help them up.
I've been to Hawaii multiple times and found out on one of those trips that some places on the west coast actually ship their homeless people to Hawaii (because they wont die of exposure there and they have no way to come back).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Badger of Basra posted:

This is a thing that people say about literally every place that has visible homeless people, how did you “find out”
Ended up talking to homeless people that were pandhandling outside a place we ate in Hilo and also talking to a local shortly after that. Limited sample size so I could easily be wrong and should have said as much.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

Call the what?
Thats weird, to get on 95 from Raleigh it would take 30+ minutes of driving directly east.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

i say swears online posted:

this thread is a self-selected audience but yeah I can label a map of africa from memory and get weird looks at bar trivia during these rounds. only the south pacific and a couple southern caribbean islands give me trouble
Yeah I get funny reactions from friends in Discord when I get Worldle countries in one guess. I wish this knowledge had more practical use.

edit: well it has helped me with timezones when doing work projects with people overseas or knowing where the city that people overseas say they are from.

edit2: my favorite reaction to having map knowledge that no one expected was when a co-worked of mine from India was talking about where in India she was from I knew which language she spoke. She was completely floored, it was great.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 26, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is awesome, thank you for posting it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I always forget how few people live in Australia. This is over 10 years old though so obviously the numbers have gone up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Guavanaut posted:

This just reminded me of the white nationalist group who wanted to establish a settlement on the Namibian coast a few years ago.

Yes go settle a 100% uninhabitable desert region in a country led by someone who bases his political mythology entirely on fighting people like you in the 90s, very good plan.
You cant say this and not give any more information/links.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Count Roland posted:

Is it just me or is the resolution too low to read?

Would love more maps like this though, especially ones that show hypothesized migration routes.
I had to open it in a new tab twice then could zoom in and actually read poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it me or is it weird to include the African bits on that map? Because whats included on this map simply includes the coastal bits of the different Atlas ranges that go, essentially, east-to-west. And south of that this map has land that as far as I understand it isnt too mountainous at all?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Triskelli posted:

The Anti-Atlas mountains specifically were part of the same range as the Appalachians and the Caledonians.

Triskelli posted:

The Anti-Atlas mountains specifically were part of the same range as the Appalachians and the Caledonians.

Duly noted, thank you both, I guess I understood that wrong last time I looked at it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Well that is terrifying.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

i say swears online posted:

why

edit oh, IMF employee?
Huh? China overtaking the US for global trade dominance.

edit: or am I getting whooshed somehow?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I love that this has the modern version of the Aral "Sea" on it.

Also reminds me of how much I enjoyed reading about the Moroccan Muslim scholar Ibn Battuta traveling the Dar Al Islam in like the 1300s I think? Ended up in India then the Maldives then southern East Africa then Crimea and somehow made it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Judgy Fucker posted:

What happened in/around Lake Baikal to make multiple mutants
I'm more curious about that island in the far south Atlantic. South Georgia? Do people even live there?