Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why you should all be reading the book barn thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mischitary posted:

It's entirely possible that Dany never returns to Meereen but that doesn't defeat the necessity of a battle occurring.

She's got two dragons chilling in Meereen. I mean, she doesn't have to go back, but I don't think she'd straight up abandon them to go conquer Westeros.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The last book ended with Jaime going to see someone who has wanted to kill him very badly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him die early in book 6, and since Stoneheart isn't in the TV show they would have to find some other way to get rid of him. Either way would let him have a heroic end where he died doing the honorable thing.

If he died in Dorne, its true that Jaime would still have his hero's journey, but we'd lose that little bit in the Riverlands where he unconsciously assumes the role of Lord of Casterly Rock when dealing with the squabbling Lannisters. Its a nice little lesson that "you don't have to be your father to be your father's heir" that'd be a shame to lose in the transition to television.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kainser posted:

Walking Dead season 1 was very good but the Wolf among us and Walking dead season 2 were both a bit problematic so I'm just cautiously optimistic for this.

Wolf Among Us is good, bro.

Also Kenny4ever :love:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM did an interview recently where he talked about the wolf sanctuary thing and confirmed Nymeria's giant wolfpack is going to play a part in events.

Yeeeeesssssssssss.

Calling it now: Wolfpack's going to sack the Twins.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DeepQantas posted:

I think you're just racist against skeletons. Kinda ironic, considering that you *are* half skeleton.

Excuse me, but I'm only one-third skeleton.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But for me this isn't so much about filler as the limitations of the media, I don't consider Brienne's journey and other such plots as filler so many people might disagree with me on this but the way I see it the books taking their time to explore the world and focus on 'smaller stories' is fine and adds a lot to their charm, the show has to work with a 10 hour seasonal constraint and it's pretty clear that they're just doing their own thing now and don't really care whether they follow up on George's plot developments or not.

Yeah, its clear that while Brienne's journey is filler in the strictest sense, it still manages to convey a ton of information about the world that will eventually become important in later books. I mean, George wouldn't spend so much time developing the Riverlands if it wasn't going to play some role in the books' endgame.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dick leech and Talisa's rear end are examples of good filler, bro.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

rydiafan posted:

Not liking Arya is a sign of sociopathy.

TV Arya can't act and has the same constipated look on her face in every scene. Book Arya is cool, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

rydiafan posted:

That gif wasn't submitted as evidence he was wrong. It was dismissal of his idiotic opinion.

Congratulations on scouring the deep web for the one moment in the series where she expresses an emotion.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

He's not a Aatrek alt account.

As if Aatrek would be interested in an old bag like Maisie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Grendels Dad posted:

I have a big gently caress-off beard, son.

So did your wife, the first time he saw her.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Having dark thoughts is very different from acting on them and that distinction is, in many respects, the only thing that separates good people from bad people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Quick, someone go to Cushing's and get a picture of the editor's comments the first time GRRM uses "nuncle." Thanks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

meristem posted:

Calling an abused, terrified woman an Other is just adding insult to injury in the worst primitive, tribal, 'let's-stone-the-rapee' manner, though.

No it isn't you retard.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vitamin P posted:

Oh wow cheers for that, had no idea there were so many out.

Get ready for 40 pages of Arianna riding a horse!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Skeesix posted:

Prophecies are just words and words are wind.

Intangible, but real; and harsh in the winter?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dang, couple more months and we could have asked some really good questions :getin:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Really looking forward to Melisandre's storyline this season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Genetic squares posted:

you can have sex without a penis

Yeah, but how will they know when they're done?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hexel posted:

Dany had a tubshot in S1 Sansa needs to catch up :colbert:

Dany is the only character who bathes in the GoT universe, and she bathes constantly.

wooger posted:

But she's 19?

Exactly, and Margaery's in her 30s, which will make her hymen plotline loving hysterical if they go through with it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

3Romeo posted:

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the inevitable online outrage regarding that scene. lovely articles and shittier arguments about it will probably show up for weeks.

I, for one, am eagerly looking forward to people comparing Cersei's nude walk with the feminist cause du jour.

:byodood: : "This scene is representative of women's struggles to attain fair representation in the Doctor Who universe!"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You are one step away from posting an alignment chart. Seek help.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

Seek help as well. No recent reason. Just get some help.

I've been to psychiatrists before, but they all tell me I'm normal. :shrug:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What if the Hound's horse is a warg :ohdear:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

All we need now is a gui with a status bar it'll be just like the movies.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vitamin P posted:

Hopefully she won't fall in love with Jon though.

Speak for yourself :quagmire:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

paco650 posted:

enables far worse things to happen all around her

Releasing Jaime does kinda set him on the path to redemption (or, at the very least, hobble him so he'll never take up the sword again). Its kinda a big "what if" had he been freed at the Red Wedding instead and returned to King's Landing intact.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ague Proof posted:

I wrote this post a few days ago on a different forum:

Women "sew" pants. Men "sow" chaos.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

In King’s Landing, Queen Margaery enjoys her new husband

It's happening. :dance:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Marrying Sansa to Ramsay would be a weird play considering LF would be sacrificing a claim on the Vale and strengthening Bolton's claim on the North for... nothing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lifts cats over head posted:

No I'm pretty sure it's Roose Bolton.

It absolutely is. You can tell from the cadence. Roose is more measured and soft-spoken than Davos, who is blunt and often clipped.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 10, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

And the first time the show ever suggested Daenerys is deluded about just how special she really is was when the dragons ate that kid.

I think we're supposed to find her crucifying the slavers to be a step too far given Barristan's reaction.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Hopefully Grey Worm gets offed so we won't have to witness the inevitable gash on gash sex scene between him and Dany's handmaiden.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Not enough incest.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ross posted:

The show in general I feel is painting Cercei as a more sympathetic figure than she is in the books.

Are you supposed to sympathize with Cersei at all in the books? She's pretty heinous from beginning to end.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CountFosco posted:

Roger Allam is a pretty big name, and I doubt they'd get him back

You Brits are a funny people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Reading the Red Wedding chapter felt like a punch in the gut. I read it on lunch break and I was basically useless for the entire rest of the day.

I was so distraught after the reading the Red Wedding for the first time, I had to be institutionalized for six months.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, that was when I said "well, better read the goddam books then, cause Im going to end up reading spoilers on the internet anyway".

And then God laughed, because there was nothing left to spoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hemophilia posted:

There is no real hope we will get the making GBS threads scene is there? I feel like it's necessary for everyone who named their daughter khaleesi but there's no way is there?

We got Tywin's making GBS threads scene, so there's a slim, but very real chance we'll also get Dany's.

• Locked thread