Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

So I have a bunch of treasure chests and I can't open them. I have that bug where you can't see your "products received" window, and the official workaround of "windows key and arrows" doesn't actually do anything. I tried opening a chest last night, and I literally don't know what I got from it. Fun!

I had this happen a few weeks ago and I had to uninstall, fully remove saved settings then reinstall. It fixed the problem.

https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2269

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Whoever recommended the monster card storage box : thanks. It has been very needs suiting.

I bought the double box. And it's awesome.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

So I'm 8-1 at Grand Prix Atlanta. Skysovereign is a messed up magic card. Every game I played that card immediately became an unloseable farce. The only game that came close was the one where I was at 3 and my opponent was at 20 - I played Skysovereign, and three turns later my opponent casts Combustible Gearhulk and draws three and then dies.

It probably shouldn't only crew for 3.

Awesome, good luck on day 2.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just bought this, only been battling in Tourney Practice to get a feel for the deck but it's fun as gently caress when facing down jank, and I even beat a real bant humans deck with it.

edit: the lack of anyone playing counterspells is actually awesome when this many dumb fun combo decks are hanging around; being able to just jam turn 3/4 Panharmonicon without fear is great.

If you have a Gonti please try it in there and let me know if it works out well. The deck looks amazing but I am not sure if I want to invest in it yet.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I replaced the white gearhulk with it and it seemed decent the few times I got it. I hate the white gearhulk since it's a non-bo with the namesake card so I was happy to ditch it and I got some great value doubling up Gonti triggers. The deck is fun as heck, if you have the tickets to spare I think it's definitely worth throwing together. Heads up that Sapphron was on earlier streaming a modified version of the deck with more white. I didn't get the full list but looked like he had added stasis snares, quarantine fields, and avacyn. Seemed more streamlined for the purpose of being competitive but the original version linked in the thread is definitely fun as heck.

Awesome, I was hoping Gonti would be a good add. I did watch parts of the stream last night. I think he made a big mistake putting Eldritch Evolution in the deck, it never got used and took up 4 slots. I does play a lot better with 3 green gearhulks like he used on stream though, I know some people on stream didn't like that he added a thought-knot seer but I think it was a good addition to the deck. The quarantine fields and stasis snares were good adds but with electrostatic pummeler deck seeing so much play online he really should board in some prevent damage spells, those would wreck the pummeler deck.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

I'm not fond of the mixed messages this thread is sending me.

Specifically the one where standard owns bones but is also festering poo poo that is boring and needs to die.

I made a panharmonicon deck yesterday and the board states are so amazing in this crazy KLD standard.

This was a just for fun game and honestly this is the most fun deck I've ever played. I have no idea what the other guy was trying to do, his plan was very odd.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What list are you messing around with so far?

https://deckstats.net/decks/62792/589075-panharmonicon-work-in-progress

Angel of Invention has been my best add, Skysovereign is really good to use vs decks with planeswalkers. I am very open to suggestions, I will most likely be messing with this list every day until I figure it out.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

How do you find Eerie Interlude? It was one of the first cards I cut, I almost never wanted to draw it, and when I did it was only good if I was already fairly far ahead already. Seemed almost the epitome of a win-more in this deck -- if I have enough creatures out to make it good, I was probably already winning thanks to the first time they entered the battlefield.

I've used it early when I didn't draw dual lands to get more energy for my Aether Hub and Servant of the Conduit's by bouncing the Servants. I think I'm just going to keep 1 in the MB for good, I really haven't needed it in the late game so far but it could come in handy for the energy or killing creatures with noxious.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

When I opened the 20 packs I picked up on Kaladesh release I was sad that I opened 2 normal blue hulks and 1 foil, I wanted green or black. Now I am very happy that I opened them. If only the land bases for these decks didn't cost so much, I got 0 Aether Hubs, luckily I have 2 fumaroles already and a Dovin Baan.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Willeh posted:

I'm secretly hoping that the tourney will be filled with bandwagoning bad control players who bought up all the torrential gearhulks so I can just run them over with vehicles :getin:

I played a match online just a few mins ago against a guy running Shota's deck, I won both games with 20 life. I knew that his deck would show up all over the place so I main boarded 4 Turn Aside to protect my creatures, it paid off well. I expect to see a ton of people not good at control trying to pilot it when they should really be playing the Jeskai Control or UW Flash decks if they aren't masters of control. UW Flash looks like it could do really well right now, I wish I had the cards for it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Boco_T posted:

As a general alert if you have Twitch Prime off your Amazon Prime and you're not using it you should definitely toss that to the MTGGoldfish account so SaffronOlive can continue to work full time on videos like these.

I started playing magic again this year after not playing for a very long time and their website is what really got me back into. I was so happy when they finally got twitch partner so I could give them a sub every month, twitch prime just made it even easier.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Do they have any spicy sub emotes? This is very important.

Luck, Cheer, f6, RIP, Punt

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

The local stores were sold out of the Commander 2016 deck I wanted and I looked all over yesterday and never found it. I went to Walmart today and the rep stocking the tcg section was just about to unpack the new decks so I got the Breed Lethality and Invent Superiority decks for myself and a friend to play with, we're both new to commander.

So if you can't get them at a LGS or your LGS is raising the price of the two in demand ones today is a good day to check Walmart, the rep said they started stocking at their stores this morning.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

C-Euro posted:

It is and I'm super-salty about my LGS always scheduling its Modern FNMs on days I can't attend. The last two have been that way and I just learned they're doing the next one the day after Thanksgiving, when I'm going to be 800 miles away at my parents' place :( I busted my rear end to put together Titan Breach and I'm never gonna get to play it at this rate.

look up a card shop near your parents place to play at?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Thinking about getting in to standard on MTGO, what's the cheapest way to buy a deck? Don't really have any tix, so I'd be paying cash.

Buy cards from Cardhoarder, you can use paypal to pay for the cards.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Willeh posted:

Magic is good. I like magic.

I agree, Magic is good.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

PenguinKnight posted:

as long as you don't grab the entire peg off the wall, at least :v:

I just grabbed all 6 off the peg they had at my local Walgreens and opened two more Dovin Baans. They rest were bulk but pulling 2 planes walkers in six packs was cool.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Looks like that deck has a bad matchup...

*puts on shades*

...against Burn.

Hahaha, thank you.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Top 4'd a modern GPT with spirits. Only losses were to 8-Rack in Swiss and semi's

What is this world?

Spirits are awesome

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Agentdark posted:

So why are the prices for the 2016 commander decks so jacked up on Amazon and Starcity, and we are not seeing any at target? Is there a print run problem for them

They are in my local Target here in Grand Rapids, MI. They are also for sale in every Walmart for MSRP too. Magic is very popular here so they do sell out but get restocked often, you need to get lucky if you want Breed Lethality, it's always gone.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I just started playing magic again this year, so my oldest cards are KTK block. I play standard because I enjoy the game as a new player and have no issue learning a few blocks of cards, I cannot memorize the 10+ years of old cards that modern has, I'd like to learn to play modern but not having a way to get good cards without spending 700+ dollars is nuts. I'll just keep playing standard until more reprints happen, and at a cost I could actually afford, I'd love to try out merfolk, jund, elves, etc but the only way I'm going to ever get to play them is by printing off proxy decks and playing at my kitchen table vs a friend or two.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Voyager I posted:

You can build a solid Modern Elves deck for like $100-200, which is also the price of most competitive standard decks, with the added upside that you can use the deck forever and all the expensive cards are cards that will likely hold their value if you later decide to trade them in for something else as opposed to cards that are going to go from $20 to $1 as soon as they rotate.

I will look into a decent modern deck in a year or so when a majority of my collection rotates, it is still an incredibly hard format to learn when you have an insane amount of sets of cards to learn. I think my best bet is going to be building UW spirits for modern, I've opened up a lot of the good spirits from SOI and EMN and I think I could turn them into a good budget UW Spirits deck next year. I have no plans to stop playing standard, it is more popular than modern in my area and I enjoy playing it a lot and it's easy to learn. I can bring a $60 deck to FNM like my RG energy deck and compete and enjoy playing. I want to play more modern but I feel bad going to a shop to play and having to read off every card to figure out what it does when I play against anyone not using a meta deck though. I can definitely see why modern is more popular for long time veteran players, keeping the value of your collection is great.

Do you have a list for a solid modern elves deck that could compete? I have opened a ton of standard staples in my packs of KLD and EMN and could prolly trade for a lot of the cards I need. Or do you think building the spirits deck would be a better idea for a less than $150 budget modern deck?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

C-Euro posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-85-45-tix-modern-beatdown-elves

This whole Budget Modern series is pretty good if you have time to peruse them all. There's even UW Spirits for you too.

I love that site, I was thinking of doing a similar list to the UW Spirits deck he had but with a few changes. Most of those budget decks don't look very good but the elves and UW Spirits look like they'd upgrade very well. Thanks

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

illectro posted:

I guess I'm wondering what I should buy her brother so they can play against each other, I mean should I just set them up with a common pool of cards in such a way that they can build decks from that pool or split them into 2 and risk one of them getting a better deck and always dominating.

I'd buy them each a deck builders toolkit and a duel deck or two to share that they can play against each other. The Duel Deck series decks are balanced against each other and should be fun to learn from, also the foil cards they come with are valuable. The deck builders toolkits are great for them to have a large pool of cards and a couple of booster packs that are intended for them to build their own decks from.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

kas posted:

I was making some proxies for my cube and thought I'd try to go a little fancy instead of just using magic set editor this time, and tried remaking the m15 frames with the old border art assets. I think it turned out really good and wanted to share the test cards here. :)

I feel like vanguard cards were the precursors to modern planeswalker cards, and wanted to do something with that too, hence the hybrid old frame/vanguard planeswalkers.

Those look great, what type of paper are you going to print on for the cube? I am working on some photoshop frames to change a bunch of older cards to all match but can't find a good paper to make them with.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

My Favorite 5 cmc creature is Sliver Queen.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

Excellent page number.

What MTG stuff did you get for Christmas? I got two euro plains (1 Scotland and 1 Holland) along with a bunch of those holographic cardamajig tokens.

I got nothing MTG related as a gift but I did order the cards for my first ever paper modern deck (I have a few ultra budget mtgo modern decks). I built elves, I really enjoyed seeing it played and it looks like a blast. I picked up almost all of the more expensive cards for it on sale from SCG and my LGS here. I'm ready to get my poo poo pushed in playing another format, I finally got bored only playing standard.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I need to figure out where to get some nice proxy cavern of souls for my first modern deck. I had no problem spending the $200 on all of the other cards I needed to build the good Elves deck but seriously fu k paying $60ea for caverns.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

JerryLee posted:

That gallery also served as my periodic reminder of how much lovelier the pre-modern card frames were in several major respects.

Which major respects?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

The Expedition Ancient Tomb looks like a very nice sky.

Yeah, it's a very odd art choice for the frame they put it in.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

You can crew with that elephant before it bounces, it's really good.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Yes Marshall, getting killed by poison counters extra fast would be nuts.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

odiv posted:

Is that a big concern, honestly?

Not really sure how popular Atraxa infect decks are, I just remember hearing a lot about them in November so it was the first thing that came to mind to me.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody got a gallery of every rare spoiled? I seem to have missed most of them.

damnit

Go to MTGgoldfish or mysthicspoiler for full lists.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'm sticking with GR energy for standard. I just need to figure out the upgrades with AER cards.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Elyv posted:

do people here still hate owen for whatever reason

He's my favorite person in magic.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I went to my first prerelease and finished 1-2,lost a close last match. It was really fun, I opened Tezzeret, paradox engine, a ton of artifacts, and shaeeli's artistry, and barals expertise. It was a decent deck for my first sealed event, I just wish I would of had better aggro creatures to go that path.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Olothreutes posted:

Is there a better thread than this one to ask questions about Xmage in? I'm having trouble getting it to connect to the server and am lost.

The Xmage reddit should be able to help. I've only used that program a few times and when I had a problem setting up I got my answers there.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Entropic posted:

For the stuff like commander and modern masters, that comes out every year or every other years? Yeah, I think like a "C17" or "MM17" in the style of the M10 core sets would have made a lot of sense. Too late now though.

That is a horrible idea, those set symbols were so ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mehall posted:

That advert is 100% a "We need to advertise this role for company standards reasons, but it's yours, we promise."

I agree, it is someone inside of the companies position already and they need to wait for it to clear the mandatory posting.

• Locked thread