Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ra tehuti posted:

this is not 'good' art vs. 'bad' art. maybe videogames are just a really lovely version of art :shrug:

Games are art loke telephones are conversations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Professor SJW posted:

bioshock should have been a movie because the story and art design are amazing but they are all poo poo games

It should have been called birdshock no other changes just the name imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my unpopular opinion is that the story of bioshock infinite was good and clever and not racist at all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the witcher 1 does video game sex better than any of the mass effects

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

hacking and lockpicking minigames are the best

I could sit around picking locks in Oblivion all day

The planet scanning minigame in mass effect 2 was fun and satisfying.

Tunggggggggg.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hamtaro posted:

Bioshock original was a System Shock spiritual successor (RPG shooter in maze-like rooms with puzzles and a high-tech, isolated feel). It also came with a (at the time unique) weapon upgrade system and political commentary on liberterianism and objectivism. It hasn't aged great, but it's still a good game. You got an ending that asked questions about player agency in a way that AAA games tend not to do. The sequel was solid as well, being slightly superior in gameplay and slightly inferior in story. The games haven't aged great, but they're still good.

Infinite throws all that away, and glues half-baked ponderances about infinity onto Borderlands-quality gameplay. Instead of political commentary, you have characters throwing around extinct racial slurs. It's a very weak sequel, and for some reason it's more popular than the original.

No, everyone hates it these days, and weirdly it also turns out they always hated it even though it was very popular at the time, poss bc of quantum time magic. It had a black character who turned out to be unpleasant which some people thought made it a very bad game.

I think it was a decent to good shooter with amazing set design and a clever premise, but didnt quite cash its cheques in terms of fight design and the alternate world powers.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 27, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I thought the gameplay in spec ops was fine: miles better than say Bioshock 1. it felt good to shoot the mans, your dude moved round the place well and the guns sounded good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VideoTapir posted:

Penny Arcade is occasionally great; but is so insufferable the rest of the time that it isn't worth following to get to the good ones.

(one half of that seems likely to be unpopular, I'm not sure which.)

I like pennyarcade but I'd agree with this, I catch up every week or two and normally get a couple of faint smiles. I like their first fifteen vids though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rutibex posted:

these are features not bugs

that just means you've become an npc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jeza posted:

cod: mw was a more seminal game in terms of design than hl2

this is an interesting and good wrong opinion, I'm not even sure it's wrong.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

beep by grandpa posted:

That's exactly why I ditched my Xbox copy, got it on pc and hacked my save files to have 1M of everything the moment I got the ship

Your telling me Martin sheen can finance an entire space station, army and fleet but can't throw a few shekels my way for a drat gun?? smdh

Hackin some fat stacks is actually very in genre. But i think its fine as long as you dont try to autistically strip mine the milky way, just do it until you feel like doing a mission.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dolphin posted:

The fact that 90% of videogame characters are deformed sex monsters for gamers to jack off to is an artistic decision and not at all misogyny bro

Dont talk about mario that way

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chomp8645 posted:

*Makes an indie game where you do nothing but walk slowly from place to place as voice files play*

"Video games are art!"

*reads book where people talk to each other and do things*

books are art too holy shittt

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Dennis System posted:

I forgot about the music, but the graphics just depict a few blocks, whose only function is as puzzle pieces. I don't consider those block art anymore than I consider individual Legos to be art.

mondrian.jpg

this is a dumb argument anyway. games are art like telephones are conversations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fried Watermelon posted:

The gay golem was the best character in Dragon Age

drat I'd forgotten him. this is actually a top drawer good opinion, friend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a bone to pick posted:

Lol, I remember playing Remember Me when it was new, man that game was some loving trash.

update your pressens, friend

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hip check please posted:

I don't know how true it is but I heard that head business people at Bethesda are hesitant to announce a new TES thing because they dont want it stepping on the toes of that dumpy shithead MMO they have.

Its alright these days.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fruit on the bottom posted:

Nah they're actually good. Even Infinite.

Especially Infinite.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mokbek posted:

Seems to me those are more reasons to not play PUBG.

Plunkbat

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreatGreen posted:

Witcher 3's wilderness would be better if the trees weren't blowing around like the entire world is being torn apart by a category 5 hurricane 24/7.

Wind... howling

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bust Rodd posted:

UVGO: the David Cage game about having a ghost twin that ruins your life and Willem Dafoe and poo poo was actually GOOD and a cool story and I LIKE weird timeline narratives because it’s cool and there are lots of details that make it a rewarding experience and all I really wanted was one more level like the one where you blow up all the cop cars and poo poo.

All his other games are trash but that game was good and I’ll probably replay it someday for a quick, easy plat

yeah I really liked that one too. it was basically stranger things if 11 had a rambunctious poltergeist instead of a bunch of pre teens to work with

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pocket Billiards posted:

I loved DOS 1 generally. But there was a bit to much trial and error in terms of where you had to go. I.e. walk north and enemies were too high level, so reload and try west and so on.

that was all the trial and error, wasn't it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a bone to pick posted:

I'm kinda convinced now that the people who viscerally hate witcher 3's combat just aren't very good at it.

I spent like 30 minutes battling a royal wyrven last night and it was more stimulating than Shadow of War or Skyrim. Maybe not as good as the Souls games, though.

If you're going to compare Witcher 3's combat system to a Platinum game or beat-em-up then you kinda lost the plot. In terms of an action RPG it does a fine job.

yeah, I agree. I'm p bad so it's punishing sometimes but I always feel like I know what mistake I've made, and dancing round a mob of drowners picking them apart is fun when you get the rhythm.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Dennis System posted:

The problem with Oblivion and Skyrim is that the enemies scale to your level, so what's the point of leveling up or getting a more powerful weapon?

Oblivion scales stupidly, but Skyrim just notices when you first enter a zone and scales the mobs in it to a range around that. So they'll level up with you to an extent, but if you first went there at level 3 they'll never get over level 10 (say). In practice it's fine, scaling isn't a problem.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alan wake was really good and it's a shame remedy are stuck making poo poo games for Microsoft instead of more games like Max Payne or Alan wake

is part of the joke on allan wake that he's a really bad writer? because he's a really bad writer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

That fuckin music cue when you get into the airport terminal was pro tier.

that's a band called HEALTH, they're ace. I think the airport song is called tears.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DogonCrook posted:

I cringed so hard after firing up dues ex after hearing all about it and glowing reviews. I was literally like what the gently caress is this corny poo poo and uninstalled. I know people are gonna get mad but like guys it's the dorkiest game I've ever seen. I apologize for saying this lol.

it's actually pretty bad while still being great

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah i mean ive heard this enough ive thought about giving it another go, i mean the gameplay sounded great. I also got HR years after release in a cheap sale so it was extra dated by then.

Idk, its clunky as poo poo in basically every way you can imagine and looked crappy even at release but theres something about the ambition of it that is super charming. Its legit good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

spec ops the line had really good combat, though that last fight up the hill was too hard imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

Creative Assembly hasn't put together an interesting unit roster since Shogun 2.

War... hammer?

I guess that wasn't actually CA, in which case: proceed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

i don't know if this is unpopular or not because the only other AC game i've played is 4, but....AC:O is really cool. i still don't really know what's going on but i'm raiding temples and killing off guys to free prisoners and poo poo and it's just really fun to play

that's the consensus, I believe, the only grumbles are that it's more AC.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dont even fink about it posted:

Spec Ops' gameplay is Gears of War with downs and the game tries to moralize on you for playing it. It's a really stupid loving game.

you are not a bad person

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oscar Wild posted:

*kills hundreds of generic bad guys*

"I can't have your death on my conscience"

There are no stakes. It's the most videogame videogame ever.

end scene: haha, we sure had some hijinks didn't we? clink beers, wink, laugh, roll credits

credits: you murdered 1,530 human beings

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

video games are like, creative works that are designed solely to make you feel emotions, that sounds like art to me man

art is a machine for creating art feeling

which is just moving the problem somewhere else, but it's a better place for it to live imo

e:

Chomp8645 posted:

When I play video games I own scrubs so hard that it's an art form itself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fruit on the bottom posted:

Can everyone on both sides agree that this is the worst take?

it's that simple

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FoolyCharged posted:

I disagreed with your text walls before, but this makes me think you're just plain loopy, dude.

I believe that he believes it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VideoTapir posted:

Tried playing it a few years ago, couldn't. It was even clunky for its time.

this is all true, but taken as a whole it works better than it should. it's the worst great game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

Are you implying that the latter FC games are better? (I haven't played 5, but 4 was mind numbing)

FC1 is the best FC game.

I'm gonna SHOOT you in the FACE!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

unpopular video game opinion: kinda want to play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8J7N_dQbcs

:eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dyna Soar posted:

Baldurs gate 1 adheres to a different design philosophy than most rpg’s, certainly most rpg’s that came after it. Its a true sandbox in that the PC is not the center if the world. I like it, but its certainly not for everyone. The combat is somewhat clumsy, but it was basically a glorified tech demo for baldurs gate 2, where the designers realised what they actually had on their hands: the greatest turn based mage battle simulator ever. In BG1, the secret to combat was crowd control and ranged weapons. In BG2, its pure mage chess. You have to know what your enemy is casting and counter it with your own casters. Its convoluted, deep and sometimes unfair but its unlike any game ive played and after close to 20 years im still playing it, and its not even a multiplayer game.

People always say that but iirc i just blundered through turning people into sashimi with my skald and fireballing every motherfucker