Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shageletic posted:

How did you miss the endless posting and articles about whether an all black superhero movie can be succesful?

Hwood has a whole recognizing the financial possibilities of mainstream black projects is fairly recent as well.

I don't take that as suggesting that people believe there's any possibility that Black Panther could fail, but that it's success is a foregone conclusion.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

basic hitler posted:

Marvel dies when someone else finds a formula people like more. Not before and not until.

Nah, Disney would just adapt to that formula and then that would be the new Marvel.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(It would be kind of hilarious to see Netflix do a show that they're basically advertising to kids and have Spartacus-level gore in it, though. Animorphs got hosed up at times.)

I only read the first ten or so books, but I remember them each having a chapter where the kids would transform into deadly animals to rip apart a bunch of body jacked humans because, welp, that's war!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is a long history of the Transformers running around in ancient times even without Prime playing king

The typical setting is already Transformers running around in ancient times, from the Transformer's perspective.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shageletic posted:

What's this Five Nights thing and why is it terrible?

It was a series of indie horror games where you work as a security guard at a haunted Chuck E Cheeses after hours, with basic mechanics but a decent aesthetic.

It's terrible because it had fanbase of children and obnoxious youtube personalities.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

21 Muns posted:

What? :psyboom: This is absolutely mind-boggling to me; I haven't spent much time around anime nerds but I always just took it for granted that the big cartoon eyes were a major part of the appeal. Are you sure you aren't being overly cynical, here? Sure, big eyes in anime originate from copying Disney cartoons, but Disney still does big eyes to this day, it's not some historical artifact. There has to be some kind of reasoning behind it; there have to be a lot of people out there who really like it.

Beyond the infantilization aspect that K. Waste touched on, there's also the fact that the eyes are one of the most expressive features of the human face. Exaggerating the eyes (and other facial features) makes it easier for the artist to communicate the thoughts and emotions of the character.

It also isn't a feature unique to Disney and eastern animation. Wallace and Grommit have exaggerated eyes. Woody and Buzz Lightyear have exaggerated eyes. Big Bird has exaggerated eyes.

The clarity provided by this exaggeration is absolutely part of the appeal.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Like, do people actually think that what attracts people to anime is that the characters have big eyes, and they reject other media because the eyes aren't big enough?

I have legitimately found this to be the case for many people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
wrong thread

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 24, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fart City posted:

“Bacteria Bulldog” sounds like the kind of nickname you can only earn if you live in the film 8MM.

I was thinking MGS villain.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

Well, it's tracking for a $30 million opening so it appears we won't have to put up with it having any lasting cultural relevance.

Somehow, though out all the discussion of RPO I forgot that it was an actual film that was actually being released in theaters.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pospysyl posted:

It's difficult to imagine the hook for someone who's never read the book. I guess it's the cast, but it's obvious that none of the big names are going to be the focal point of the movie, even from the trailer.

I imagine it'd be a difficult adaptation to sell. It's a sci-fi story that's mostly about the strange places the characters visit, with heavy Christian themes, and where the one of the most potent images in the story was influential enough to become a Simpsons joke.

That's four strikes against it, from the start.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dexie posted:

It's been a long time since I've read the book. What Simpsons joke are we referring to?

It was kind of a low key gag, and I couldn't tell you what episode it was in and I don't quite remember the context, but this is what it was (spoiled because I assume the scene is in the film): there's a row of identical suburban houses, each with nearly identical children playing in identical fashion, complete with a set of children each bouncing an identical red ball in perfect synchronicity with one-another. There may have been a shot of Bart or Lisa looking worried or Marge disapproving.

It's a blink-and-you-miss-it gag, and the only reason I remember it was because when I saw it I thought, "oh, they got that from A Wrinkle in Time."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You're misremembering, it's a gag about school uniforms sapping all the kid's free will. There's an better punchline on top of the reference: LUNCHLADY DORIS: "They've even begun blinking in unison." (disgusting wet noise) SKINNER: "I love that sound."

Ah, there you have it then. I over-conflated it with a scene from the book.

I'm still maintain that it's a reference.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not in spoilers cause to be fair, this is in every trailer of the film.

Ha! Shows how much I've been paying attention.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's definitely a loose cannon. He spends the whole film breaking regulations and going in to situations he's either not supposed to go in, or going in on ways he's not supposed to, in order to 'but damnit get results.'

The problem with this is that Valerian and Laureline are too high ranked for this to apply to him. They don't act against authority, they are the authority for the duration of the crisis.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's Gadget, isn't it?

I say forget her, forget Chip, forget Dale, forget the fly, just make the Rescuers but with Monterey Jack, aka the best character.

Make the framing device an increasingly drunk Monterey Jack bragging about his adventurers to his bar buddies and you have my rear end in the seat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samuel Clemens posted:

Then why can you complete the entire game without dying? :colbert:

Doesn't the first Seath the Scaleless encounter end in a mandatory death?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite bit from Shin Godzilla was when they order the missiles to be fired but it's this conga line of like 15 people who give the order to someone who gives it to someone else who gives to someone else. Even once they get the order into the helicopter that fired the missiles, there's like three guys in there and the order has to be conveyed from one guy to the next and then finally to the guy with his finger on the button.

I'm afraid we can't fire at Godzilla on account of the young man helping his elderly father cross the railroad tracks who would potentially be adjacent to the line of fire.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

When even prestigious stuff with a loyal fanbase like Berserk is getting utter poo poo as adaptations, something has gone wrong.

It's funny to go back and watch super pulpy, trashy 90s anime that, despite being juvenile as hell, were quite well animated. Yeah, they were full of exploding heads and gratuitous titties, but they were well animated exploding heads and big titties. Is that just a product of a perceived higher demand creating a much greater supply?

IIRC, a lot of the better animated short films of the 80s and early 90s were funded to promote laserdisc, beta, and VHS players. The producers didn't care so much if the final product made money as long as it looked good on whatever media player they were trying to sell. So, there was suddenly funding for a lot of animator's hobby projects without the oversight that'd usually come along with that. As a result there was a lot of juvenile and/or incomprehensible -- but gorgeously animated -- trash produced by people who didn't necessarily know how to tell a story but who could drat sure draw a mean titty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of early 2000s animated movies that weren't Disney or Dreamworks, does anyone remember Robots? I saw that in the cinema.

I saw it in cinema but I don't remember it too well.

What I can recall was there was a lot of veneration of an Edison/Ford/Disney figure, and that the action sequences felt very abrupt. Then again, I might be confusing it with the CGI Astroboy movie, which was equally forgettable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unoriginal Name posted:

It wasn't a good take when it was in the Bright thread either. If you need that many words to explain a movie about ORC COP, the writers have failed, on several levels.

"Why is the world of Bright so similar to our own world despite the existence of Orcs and Elves and whatnot? Because the movie is predicated on the supposition that the existence of Orcs, Elves, and whatnot would not in itself be enough to change the social and economic dynamics of the world."

There, fifty-three words.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is kind of dumb, but more efficient true.

You're not going to like a film if you can't get past its central conceit, but that alone isn't a mark against the film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Capn Jobe posted:

Speak for yourself. Han Solo represents the 99.999% of the Star Wars universe that isn't the Jedi and their bullshit;

He buys into their bullshit before the end of the first movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fart City posted:

Finally, a story exploring the origins of the galaxy’s greatest bounty hunter who was killed by a monster sand vagina when a blind man accidentally booped his backpack.

I can't imagine what possible could have shaped him into becoming the bad-rear end that he was, but it most have been rad as all hell!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I don't quite know how to properly communicate the emotion this image instills in me, but it is something like a deep gratification.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rogue one is a weird movie as the first three fourth and the last fourth feel like two different movies.

As nothing that happens in the first part really ends up mattering and the characters are just kind of there.

I agree that the film kind of seems like two different movies but the first three fourths are by far the more interesting part.

The mechanisms of the Empire and the Rebellion and the ways they influence and are influenced by the people in them and against them, and how that leads to various disparate groups to come together is the actual story of the film. It's the heist itself that's "about something that we already know happened."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

Waiting to see Objectivists and libertarians livid that Snyder ruins their precious scripture.

This might be a "Truffaut was right" situation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

basic hitler posted:

can you elaborate on what this means for a curious phillistine who doesn't want to dive into truffaut's beliefs to find out or w/e

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume Schwarzwald is referring to Truffaut's famous statement that "there's no such thing as an anti-war movie", because any visual depiction of combat will inevitably end up glorifying it. I'm not sure how this relates to The Fountainhead though, unless you want to argue that there's no way to satirise Objectivism without simultaneously putting it on a pedestal.

It's not so much that I don't think you couldn't satirize Objectivism without making it sound good, so much that Objectivists are fully aware that the ideology is callous and selfish and won't be offended when it's called out as such.

Snyder's method generally is, for all it's style, to depict things plainly and let the audience connect the dots themselves. His Fountainhead will likely portray Objectivists as a bunch of assholes, which will lead to actual Objectivists saying ":lol: he's got us pegged," and to a bunch of other folks to say, "I can't believe he's pro-rear end in a top hat!"

I probably shouldn't have compared it with Truffaut's statement. It's a different situation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SciFiDownBeat posted:

while I can't rule out the possibility that your reading is what Snyder intended, I think many people will agree with me when I say that it's a pretty thin possibility.

Maybe he should have put in a flashing neon sign saying "Spartans Bad!" instead of the overly subtle foundation of children's skeletons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SciFiDownBeat posted:

That said, I can't concede that Snyder executed his vision with much success. I mean 300 is a very entertaining movie but I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as any Verhoeven film re: effectiveness of satire. That's just my opinion though.

What kind of surprises me about the discussion is that Starship Troopers has become an example of plainly obvious satire by Thinking Man Verhoeven, as a point of contrast to 300 and Snyder.

Time Magazine has a pay wall, but I really wish I could post Richard Schickel's review of the film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BeigeJacket posted:

The synthwave fad, and aesthetic, is going to look so, so dated in a few years time.

That's kind of the point, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AceOfFlames posted:

Play this like a horror movie and I'm loving there.

If I was told the plot absent anything else (and without the branding), I'd have expected the film to be one of those cheaply/weirdly animated 70s cartoon specials with a folk music soundtrack

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Was I wrong about their slavishness or just the number of them? No one's been "aging out" of Star Wars, right? The very fact anyone was excited about Darth Maul has to prove that.

...were people excited about Darth Maul?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Davros1 posted:

Oh god yeah. And people were pissed when he was killed off because they thought "He was supposed to be the new Vader!".

Len posted:

I was in fourth grade and he looked cool as poo poo and had a double bladed lightsaber how cool was that?!

I meant in Solo, specifically.

I got enough bruises from toy lightsabers to remember his appeal, originally.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

Legendary making a Gundam movie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/418337-legendary-set-to-produce-live-action-gundam-film

Can't wait for all the arguing about politics (or G Gundam) this will lead to.

I'm OK with this as long as adults are still the enemy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Gundam Wing best when I was little. It's not as good as original Gundam, but for whatever reason it was the one that took off.

It benefited a lot from poor competition. For a long while, the Toonami line up was shows like Thundercats, Reboot, 90s Johnny Quest. Gundam Wing's story might be trite, but the fact that it even had pretensions of being "serious" set it apart. It's character and mechanical designs might be middle school pandering, but compared to Voltron (which was on Toonami about a year before) they were drat near high fashion.

The original Gundam is almost unarguably the better show, but on a stylistic level it was closer to 60s Johnny Quest. It couldn't compete.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

All I’m saying is Idris Elba would make a great Ramba Ral.

Brian Blessed

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's pretty much the only way most anime makes any sense, yeah.

Apparently it comes from how Japanese audiences find it unrealistic that anyone has a life after graduating high school that isn't soul-crushing drudgery.

Other anime aside, in Gundam '79 they're quite pointedly adolescents conscripted under duress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

I know that no one gives a poo poo about Narnia besides the first book and possibly the second/some of the third, but it's kind of crazy how much trouble that franchise had after the first one when stuff like Maze Runner and Divergent are still a thing.

I don't know if that's too surprising. The dystopian worlds of Maze Runner, Divergent et al are all pretty tonally distinct from anything in the Narnia books. Most the Narnia books past the first are either about quashing a threat before it can become a threat or about restoring a temporarily disrupted status quo of "everything is great, actually."

If you want a story like Divergent (or if you want to produce a show like Divergent) there's not much for you in Narnia outside the age bracket, and even then Narnia's a little more young.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beachcomber posted:

Caption says "full speed" but don't horses go faster than that?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

HOW Much faster do you have expect it to go it has literally 1 horsepower

Real live horses only rarely move faster than a healthy person can jog. If you've ever watched an old western or similar show with a "fast" horse, it was almost certainly camera or frame rate trickery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if there were guys in the 80s who were huge fans of the original Mighty Mouse cartoons by Terrytoons and wanted Ralph Bakshi to RESIGN IMMEDIATELY because they were OUTRAGED by Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. :v:

I'd bet good money on it. It might not even be too difficult to find, I think a few fanzines from that era have been archived online.