Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Onlookers from the future: it is 2018 and yes, Donald J Trump is actually our president.

More than a third of the country is still somehow okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

XyrlocShammypants posted:

For me the big thing to watch for if Lamb wins are Republican retirements.

This. They are already happening faster than the typical "party on a downswing" norm. A Lamb victory has a small but not insignificant chance of promoting a full fail-cascade.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The Glumslinger posted:

+847 after Allegheny absentee votes

So Lamb needs to survive his +847 margin from a total of just over 3000 absentee votes left to calculate from the three red counties tomorrow morning.

That means Lamb would have to get less than 25% of the remaining absentee votes, and Lamb has been doing a lot better than that even in those red counties. Things look good for Lamb right now.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

A whole lot more of this, please.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Somebody print out this map and deliver it to Trump.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Blind Rasputin posted:

What exactly does that map represent? Districts dems have currently flipped/won?

It extrapolates tonight's results nationally. There are over 100 districts that are held by republicans which are MORE blue than PA-18 which democrats just won. If we flipped all of those (and not a single district that is more red than PA-18) you would end up with that map.

That's not a particularly likely scenario, but the reality it presents showcases just how disastrous continued results like tonight represent for Republicans come november.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Jarmak posted:

How does the '18 senate midterm map look with every state bluer than PA-18?

Going by Trump+20 rather than R+11 you get this:

Nebraska and Tennessee end up being coin tosses just like PA-18 was, we lose North Dakota (likely) and West Virginia (less likely, democrats are favored to win this seat currently), and every other seat turns blue.

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 14, 2018

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

With statements like this, it feels like some of his previous handlers have given up on trying to restrain Trump.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/980794508815237120

https://twitter.com/andrewbeatty/status/980792518496399360

This will play out exactly like everyone expects it will.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

haveblue posted:

This will be denied until he has a major malfunction on live television.

Doesn't that already describe every television appearance he has made outside of scripted State of the Union addresses?

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Cable Guy posted:

Uh.. didn't trump use this when he accepted the GOP nomination...?

It was actually the song "You can't always get what you want".

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Cable Guy posted:

I'm sure he's used "It's the end of the world as we know it..."
... uh... maybe at a rally..?

Fake edit: Yep, here you go..

And here's some video from CSPAN
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4550293/donald-trump-introduced-anti-iran-deal-rally-its-end-world

Truly the patron saint of lovely internet trolls.

http://fortune.com/video/2016/11/09/trump-you-cant-always-get-what-you-want/

Seems like a decade ago at this point.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

SirPablo posted:

https://twitter.com/marcfox10/status/987181323138678784?s=20

57,000 votes across the state, 78% voted to strike. Plan is to walk out beginning Thursday.

I'm happy they made this choice, despite the last minute feint from Gov. Ducey trying to pit teachers against... well... everyone, by promising them a raise but only if paid for by cutting university funding, medicaid, disability, and more.

AZ teachers are fired up!

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The final margin will almost certainly be close to R+6, given the extreme proportion of early ballot votes to Election Day votes in AZ (one of the few things we do right) and how they have historically trended to match party and ID.

This is (another) warning shot across the bow for the GOP in November.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

tecnocrat posted:

Chances of Netanyahu dropping a very small bomb on an isolated part of the region and using that as a pretext to get Trump to bomb Iran?

50/50. Israel might not even wait for American intervention before launching their own campaign.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

theflyingorc posted:

The ONLY thing. We constantly invade Belgium

Well, we do have a large military base in Belgium, so technically...

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Wait, where is this quote from?

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

That is not actually a representative. Georgia only has 14 congressional districts.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

SocketWrench posted:

So we got the new price lists for steel at work today.
25% increase across the board which means we'll be paying upwards of $500 more per coil
Owners have already had a meeting agreeing to hold on for now. But if this hurts them, by October they'll start rolling out layoffs. We already gave up our quarterly bonuses and are working one person per two presses.
Thank you Trump for loving our living

Which industry are you in?

I don’t imagine most people outside if the related trades have any idea about the scope of secondary effects the steel and aluminum tariffs will have.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Shifty Pony posted:

This is McConnell's nightmare.

He wanted to use the nomination to force red state Democrats to vote no and rally the religious people in their states against them with ads saying they don't hate abortion enough, but now the most fervent anti-choice nutters are saying people should vote no.

Mitch McConnell called Trump to recommend Kavanaugh, didn't he?

Edit: NVM, I was thinking of Kethledge.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Groovelord Neato posted:

"i need to build electric cars to combat climate change!!"

To be fair, he has donated sporadically to politicians all over the spectrum, with more money going to Democrats.

This is one of those “rich people things” that seems common, I don’t really get, but probably has something to do with making a few thousand dollar donation each time you meet with (any politican) in the hopes of getting something in return.

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Elon+Musk

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Drone posted:

AZ law requires the governor to pick a replacement from the party that the person they're replacing belonged to at the time of his or her election.

Yeah they could pick the most liberal Republican around but the (R) by their name still carries weight when it comes to defining majority/minority.

I'll register as a republican, and Garcia can nominate me. I'll be the one-term republican senator from Arizona co-sponsoring medicare for all bills.

(Meanwhile Kyrsten Sinema, who is likely to take Flake's seat in November, will be the elected democrat supporting 50% of Republican initiatives.)

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Groovelord Neato posted:

redistricting is done at the state level on census years (2020 is next). so we’re likely hosed. it’s a very bad system and the supreme court didn’t help matters.

Why would your interpretation be we are hosed based on this? By most accounts, democrats are set up for a very good 2020 election year. We will be running a presidential candidate against Donald Trump after all. 2018 is already looking promising for wrestling back control over state level legislatures, and 2020 looks to follow that trend.

For 2018, Democrats are more likely than not to take the house, and have a narrow shot at the a Senate majority (with the latter being far less likely). 2018 is one of the worst senate maps for either party in us history, because of the number of red seats Democrats picked up in 2012.

The 2020 senate map is far more favorable, such that even an effective tie in 2018 (leaving the republicans in control) would set us up well for a 2020 majority.

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 21, 2018

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Rigel posted:

At this point, we need McCain to live past the first week of January. (Unless the current shitlord residing in the AZ governor's mansion wins re-election in which case it won't matter)

If we have a Dem governor when McCain dies, then that will be amusing. He will have to pick a Republican who was registered as a republican at the time McCain was elected, but he's free to pick the most RINO republican possible or some recently converted Democrat who forgot to change his registration.

The likelihood of that happening with him having given up treatment is pretty close to 0.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

friendbot2000 posted:

What the gently caress IS GOING ON? Every outlet has a conflicting story. Do I lace up my marching boots or not?

The answer is always yes.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

BardoTheConsumer posted:

To paraphrase a post in cspam:

They already have knights. Every community apart from the academic one that cares about medieval combat is chud-city, right down to dungeons and dragons.

Blasphemy. My circle of D&D tabletop players are universally far left liberals. Don't burst my bubble!

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Rigel posted:

lol, I'm just going to assume the D+13 generic ballot is a bit of an outlier, but if that actually happened, thats in the range of when gerrymandering begins to backfire and the GOP starts losing more seats than they would have with "fair" maps.

Definitely an outlier. CNN tends to give a larger +D advantage. They were the ones that had a poll with Democrats at +18 last December.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Just watched a hell of a senate debate between Martha McSalley and Kyrsten Sinema.

The last question was about climate change and McSally said, almost verbatum, "I can't believe this is the last question, we should be talking about the Military!"

She then went on a rant about how she was responsible for protecting the A-10 warthog (because THAT is more important than climate change...) and then claimed Sinema encouraged people to join the Taliban and was a traitor? Which is... one hell of a claim to slip in there at the end of a debate.

This is the same race responsible for this mailer though, so maybe the hyperbole is expected at this point.

https://twitter.com/dannowicki/status/1049745285742645248

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Nonsense posted:

Senator McSalley 4 terms.

Given the number of progressive colleagues and organizers I have seen pledging to never vote for Sinema because of her pivot to the middle, you are absolutely right.

There is a green party candidate at 4% polling to boot.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Office Pig posted:

Didn't Sinema go all in on the GOP tax plan with *tweaks*? That seems like it would be campaign suicide all on its lonesome.

Oh yeah, Sinema is a trash candidate (despite conventional wisdom) that is throwing away her entire base vote because of how STRONGLY she pivoted to the middle the moment she stepped foot into congress. I'm from her district, which is one of the most liberal in Arizona (a good chunk of it is students), and yet she has the second most conservative voting record of ANY democrat in the house, because she has been preparing for a Senate or Governor race all along.

She is doing a poo poo job at appearing as anything other than a republican with a D next to her name, and I share frustration between both her and "purity voters" that will cost us the senate seat in equal measure.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

bilperkins2 posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1053421810744586240

538 had it as 48% R/28% D/27% I (Bill Walker is the I), so if he's endorsing the D and everyone (won't happen) who would have voted I votes D, then D's win.

I want to believe.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Spiritus Nox posted:

Would I be right in assuming he governed like an R, ala Murkowski?

He was actually pretty moderate.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

publishko posted:

holy poo poo. i used to go to this Kroger regularly

Same.

Crazy news day already, and I just got back from lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The effort by APS (AZ energy company) against Arizona's Clean Energy proposition is equally brazen and absurd. Our (very conservative) Attorney General was forced to file suit against several AZ counties and towns for violating the law because they used tax dollars to fund town/county initiatives campaigning against prop 127. They actually used public money to campaign people to vote a certain way.

This is glaringly obviously illegal such that even a friendly to the concept AG can't ignore it. However, it contains a light enough penalty ($5,000) that these elected officials don't remotely care and see it as worth while to intentionally break the law to try to get prop 127 voted down.

Here is a quote from an APS representative gloating about that fact.

"Matthew Benson, a spokesman working for APS' parent company to fight Prop. 127, said that if the communities violated the law, it was not a big deal, and he said Clark made the complaint to help pass the clean-energy measure.
"This complaint on the part of Yes on 127 surrogates is an attempt to punish local leaders who spoke out against Prop. 127," Benson said. "It’s not going to amount to anything, I suspect. At most, perhaps the state will assess a de minimis fine for a de minimis violation. That’d be fitting."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...paign=speakable

• Locked thread