Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He's loaded he lives anywhere he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Saith posted:

FYI this almost literally never happens.

Anglos just have their brains wired wrong where if they hear someone speaking differently to them, accent or language, and they haven't mentally prepared themselves, they'll react as though they're under attack (having survived the Blitz, you see).
They realise its silly and that they have made a fool of themselves and the only way they can explain away that sense of alienation, the only way they can ever recover from such a traumatic experience, is to pin the blame firmly on the aliens around him (The proud Anglo-Saxon is never an alien regardless of where he may be).

If most people in a town or a village can speak Welsh, they generally do. Welsh in school, welsh in pubs, welsh in shops and at work etc etc
People don't switch to their native tongue just to be a dick*. They were speaking it anyway.

*Unless you see Baron Gammon von Saxonpants walking down the street, that's like the only exception though.

It's weird you've made this ethnic over nationalistic tbh.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The labour left are like "a buh buh buh" and the blairites are like *farting noise* and then momentum happened.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So what’s causing the Tory lead? Is the anti-semitism starting to have an effect or is it related to recent labour decisions/indecision over a second referendum?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

TBH a lot of conservationism has always struck me as weird. Like people devote a lot of resources and attention to making sure there are still lions so that david attenborough can videotape them and ASMR in your lug about them.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in isolation but it's always impressive or cute looking animals that you can personify and ideally exist somewhere exotic? It's weird, vaguely like fetishistic?

Environmentalism as a thing that's important to preserving the welfare of human life and to an extent large scale animal life makes sense but is the biggest problem really that lions might stop existing?

The lions are under threat now. Humanity isn’t going to be under threat for a good while.

And I don’t think resources going to protecting lions are being taken from the ‘fix humanity’ reserve.

And any species disappearing will have knock on effects to the whole ecosystem.

Let’s not get blasé about extinction.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Labour are absolutely turbo hosed in Scotland. Its fair to say there's no real left wing party in Scotland now. We have right wing tories and centre left snp and then minority parties. The 2017 election showed that the shift in support wasn't just a fluke in the Holyrood elections.

I agree with Coohilon though, Labour need to stop talking Indy and get rid of Lenord.

I don't see how the damage can be reversed. Every leftist in Scotland went indy because why not? If it worked they'd be free of right wing England. Only it didn't work. So now every leftist is also now a Scottish nationalist and it's hard to reverse that decision. Who exactly is there to vote for Scottish Labour?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ronnie posted:

Can someone just try and make me feel better and tell me that the BBC HYS message board is just taken over by Daily Mail readers and Ruski-bots.

This is all a scientific experiment to prove not everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think there's a level of self selection in who uses comments as basically a forum. Idiot right wingers basically. No one else would try to make a real community out of youtube comments and bbc hys boxes. This is where they live. These are the people too stupid to use reddit.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

you got all nimby. this is how every expansion in history has gone: you get people in first, then you start building poo poo as and when those people complain

e: where'd you live exactly?

Yeah but you also have a boner for endless expansion in what is possible the last couple of decades of stability due to global environmental collapse. Stick to counting your 'greenbacks'.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's also why AOC is being a bit weird about it. She knows it's a trap and is in a terrible position. She might as well get it over with and double down. Like Labour should have done.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Girls do piss blue liquid out of their buttholes, but only after WKD was invented.

oh my god :ohdear:

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 8, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

I predicted that they would do this months ago, May will turn around and tell the DUP to loving lump it at the last minute.
Lets see if it happens.....

EU <3 NI
EU </3 UK

But howwwwwwww? Are they saying NI is going to have to leave the UK? Because I don't see how you otherwise avoid a weird hosed up society with two levels of citizens. The EU elite of NI and the chlorine chicken eaters of the rUK.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

I guess you've not played many sports then?

What a monstrously leading question.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1104075694823346178

The Americans are so much worse at this than our lot and our lot called a dead Holocaust survivor an Anti Semite.

They're getting much more push back. In the UK the chattering classes all joined in because they hate Corbyn.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 8, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I don't like this. It seems like they're signalling to vote for her lovely deal. I was really hoping that with enough chaos we could actually make it to no brexit.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The gloves are off

Isn’t May’s deal hard Brexit? Or is it hard Brexit in theory but soft because of the backstop?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

Can someone explain to me why this means no-deal is more likely? Isn't the majority of the house against no-deal in any vote? And isn't there that exact vote tomorrow?

Some people in here are trying to do the thing where you talk like the bad thing is definitely going to happen so that it doesn't happen.

Like anything is certain in this chaos. No one knows what's going to happen. Don't listen to people just because they sound authoritative in their cynicism.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Oh we have. Some of us have to live here.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Bahhaha haha mental illness! HAAAAAAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

at some point objectivism became the de-facto hegemonic moral doctrine to which we expect the public to adhere, which is frankly a little disconcerting. not sure when that happened

Late 90's.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

Wrexham family 'told to leave Oxfam charity shop' after they were heard speaking Welsh - in Wales

http://flip.it/o6PVe7

And in proper Wales as well. Not Saith's lovely pretend Wales.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Don't be too sure. People in Brussels are starting to take personal offence at the UK's attitude.

Can you gently caress off to the Euro thread or something? It's so obvious you're invested in us leaving.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

I'm collecting fascist cunts for avatars apparently.

It wasn't me. I got snarky and then immediately felt bad about it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Plaid are great ideologically. But they're a nationalist party and there is very little political demand for nationalism in Wales at the moment. Like people still get pissy about the English all the time but no one seems to give a gently caress about actually splitting or doing anything other than grumbling. Also the older folks tend to vote Tory just like in England.

The language thing is a barrier because Welsh is uncommon outside the North west. The only bit Westminster could give a gently caress about is Cardiff and they don't know what Welsh is.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

The "STOOOPPPPPPPP BREEEEEEXXXXIT" noise seems to have devolved into a kind of wordless hooting. Is this why T-May keeps losing her voice?

They've hosed it

Who is they in this case?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So you're all still hosed, basically?

In some way yes but not the same way as just a couple of days ago?

We're still heading for no deal but the PM has also lost authority over her party.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve had no phone today what’s going on in our hell country

Back where we started with all the good of yesterday destroyed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
No one knows what's going to happen so why make the decision that it has to be the worst outcome?

I don't think assuming the worst has ever actually helped me cope with things better.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

They definitely getting a bribe if they're meeting hammond

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1106545999814819842

Are they seriously trying for the "ok northern Ireland can stay in the EU whatever, the rest of the UK is still hosed lmao" plan?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

Actually I wonder if at some point we’re going to find out that seeing their political views affirmed online is affecting people’s brains like alcohol or drugs, where you get a dopamine surge but you build up a tolerance so you seek out more and more until whoops was that five bottles?

It’s at least plausible that the substance of what people are angry about - whether that’s something real like the oppression of Palestinians or something imaginary like white extinction or a western plot to conquer Mecca- doesn’t matter at all, and that all that matters is being vulnerable and caught in a loop of permanent outrage.

If so, maybe there’s a CBT way to deradicalise people before they start murdering.

Not exactly the same but I do remember an article not so long ago about neuroscientists suggesting that 'anger' may be addictive. So essentially these red faced gammons who are constantly ranting are literally addicted to their own anger chemicals.

Miftan posted:

Engaging with skidmarks like Rakosi is important because this thread gets a lot of traffic from lurkers. Hundreds if not more, easily. It's good for convincing and explaining to people who are new to leftism or heading the wrong way. Even for people who are solid leftists it's a good way to explore ways of shutting this bullshit down. I know that I've been exposed to counter arguments I've not heard of or thought of before in the thread. We have a lot of very clever posters. If it bothers you, or you think there's nothing you can gain from reading actual smart posters dunk on rape and genocide apologists you can scroll past. It's not exactly a Pissflaps level disruption.

I always said that ignoring pissflaps was a lame tactic. It allowed him to coast by as a 'troll' instead of being taken seriously as a bigot. Turned out he really is a toxic bigoted rear end in a top hat and his 'troll' persona was because he knew if he acted himself he'd get booted that much quicker.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 15, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody was ever forced to respond to him.

Nobody was forced to respond to Rakosi but hey look, he got banned. Like pissflaps should have been.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

You do realise that they have zero power to enforce this for websites hosted outside of the UK, and in any case a block would be trivial to bypass for anyone with an ounce of computer know-how? It's a completely toothless law and a huge waste of time for everyone involved.

They could block it like they do with some torrent sites.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The agenda is not rocking the Tory boat too much.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Less focus on her stupid dancing and more focus on the time she went to Grenfell towers and hid from the survivors.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

It's a way of making relatively mundane things sound more impressive. Did you know that when you shuffle a deck of cards, you put them in an order that [i]never existed before in the universe?[i] True story.

Maybe that is impressive and you're just jaded.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HJB posted:

https://twitter.com/Antony_Wright/status/1107278230715797505

A ghetto-er proving the theory that hashtag in name = bad.

Which bit is bad?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Like... the USA China and Russia already have done exactly this though, haven't they?

Not really. The standing US military is huge but most of it would be wiped out in the initial battles of a new world war. This is ignoring nuclear weapons. No one really knows just how destructive a battle between peer nations would be.

But it'd be pretty bad. It's probably never been worse to be a bog standard infantry man. We've seen in Ukraine that artillery can just remove grid squares at will unless you can hold air superiority or have matching artillery +1. Just imagine the ammo logistics of a new world war.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

What is wrong with this one?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

uXs posted:

As far as I see the most important issue with brexit is the Irish border, for which there are only a few possibilities.

So why don't they put the house (or hell, the population) to a vote? 3 choices:

1) Border between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.
2) Border between UK and Northern Ireland.
3) Remain/Customs Union/whatever you want to call it.

Because that's what it comes down to.

1) Causes the troubles to restart. People die.
2) Splits the UK into single market/not single market. Think about how hosed up things will get. Northern Ireland will essentially be its own country and much closer to being part of Ireland than the UK. Good for Ireland maybe, not sure it's good for the rest of us and if I can be a bit selfish I think we can unite Ireland without the UK having to be economically destroyed.
3) Yeah.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Kinda feels like the EU have hosed this up. We had a shot at no brexit but now we're getting May's dumbass deal and possibly a US vassal on their doorstep.

That's not to say we didn't gently caress this up. The rulers of this country are the biggest bunch of useless fucks and should go down in history as the worst government a nation has ever had. But still, gently caress the EU for throwing a hissy fit at the last minute instead of squeezing May into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Please treat each other with dignity and respect.