Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Space Camp fuckup posted:

You have a better chance of catching tetanus or something in your goon hovel but yeah, outside does sound scary

Yeah aren't surfaces not really an issue unless they're basically warm and dripping?

And even then you'd have to lick it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

learnincurve posted:

Incidentally the NHS 119 number is absolute loving horseshit. First time I’ve used it and it took four minutes of confusing nonsense to get put through to the booking line, which was not the option I chose right at the start. Then it automatically cut me off.

And I still can’t get through to the doctors. I may try going down and staring balefully at reception through glass while I scream what needs updating on medical records so my daughter can get jabbed through the intercom.

I wouldn't recommend jabbing through an intercom, that's likely to damage the needle.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Helith posted:

Yeah this is the one where Gladys realises that going hard and going early like all the other states do, is actually the right move after all.

So why didn't they this time? This isn't the first outbreak Sydney has seen.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

bort posted:

That says breakthrough cases are 26 out of 100,000. We have 2 breakthrough cases in this thread. Either GBS is far bigger than I think it is, or those numbers may be changing at a pretty alarming rate.

Or we're just lucky :confuoot:

That seems reasonable for the whole population of all SA; if that is the true breakthrough rate, you'd expect 2 out of a population of 7,700. And there's regularly 4 if not low 5 digits users logged on at once.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Blooster posted:

So I told my wife my concerns and she is saying she thinks it will be one of the safest places to be outdoors because of all the chlorine in the pools killing everything, to which I really didn't have a good answer.

Uh, it it safer because everything is drenched in chlorine?

Yes, absolutely you should drink bleach the entire time you are there, to ensure immunity do not do this

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gynovore posted:

You don't 'make' counties, they just sorta happen.

EDIT: the details escape me at the moment, but there's a county somewhere in Nevada with no people. As a corollary, you can murder someone there with no consequences, because the law states that you have to be tried by a jury of people living in that county, which is impossible.

No, that's Yellowstone, which the District of Wyoming has jurisdiction over all crimes committed in, including those parts of the park which lie in Idaho and Montana. So if you invoke your right to a jury trial for a crime committed in the Idaho section, you'd need to find a jury composed of people who are all simultaneously Idaho and District of Wyoming residents—but the Idaho part of Yellowstone has 0 population.

The place in Nevada you're thinking of was one of three counties in the US with 0 COVID cases as of nearly a year ago, with a population of nearly 1,000.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh no

Not LETTERS

DOE already said they'll replace salaries at any school where DeSantis strips that funding away for taking COVID precautions

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zugzwang posted:

Alex Berenson is a vocal antivaxx dipshit who used to write for the NYT and thus gets to claim “former New York Times reporter” to give his dipshit ideas more credibility.

He was also the subject of this Atlantic article mentioned in that tweet.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ikanreed posted:

It's too weird seeing someone in a cop uniform genuinely concerned for human life

I mean, he's still obviously getting off on wielding authority over someone who can't do anything about it. At least in this case it's in the service of something worthwhile

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

smoobles posted:

my theory is Ron Desantis is a doomscroller (like all of us) but with the unique power to create his own content, since he is a governor

I don't have evidence for this but it's a unique villain origin story

This is the worst Shyamalan script synopsis I've ever read

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

dwarf74 posted:

It's not used for that anymore.

Why isn't it?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rescue Toaster posted:

The impression I've gotten would be that you're reasonably likely to catch Delta even though you're vaccinated if you're surrounded by unvaccinated people constantly. Especially if they're not masking consistently. Reasonably likely being maybe 30-50% chance? Considering if you were unvaccinated I'd say it's virtually guaranteed.

Meaning, lifetime? If you're being exposed continuously I'd consider that more of a per-month likelihood, if not per-week.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Wendigee posted:

Eat poo poo corporations I'm never going back!

Joke's on them, I never started

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

A man died WITH a gunshot wound (another coronavirus)!!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Corn Glizzy posted:

Has anyone coined the term CovIdaho yet

My own private covidaho

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

HD DAD posted:

Junctioning Ultima to your Elem-Def raises your vaccine effectiveness

And what if I junction myself... unto SARS-CoV-2?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RoastBeef posted:

That's an oof.

Florida: Cocaine and tazed genitals.

Texas: Six dead in five shootings; man mauled by dogs.

Yeah.

Florida: Naked Florida Man chases couple around parking lot.

Texas: Man sentenced for having sex with a minor.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Just got my booster + flu shot together. (Didn't realize it was Pfizer after getting Moderna 1+2, oops. Oh well, they're nearly interchangeable.)

I fully expect to grow an extra head now, possibly more.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At this point I need to figure out my flu shot, because things are so hosed up around here my usual practice of doing a drop-in at the grocery store is off the table.

You couldn't schedule both simultaneously? I just signed up for both from the CVS website.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

QuarkJets posted:

The "mildness" of the disease is being used to suppress panic but it's too early to know how frequently people will experience long covid from this new variant. It's a reminder to not let "mild" fool you into complacency

Apparently Omicron does not typically kill your senses of smell or taste. I wonder if that has any correlation to long COVID.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just lol at people who still have family

:hmmyes:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GABA ghoul posted:

There was a massive COVID outbreak at a remote Belgian Antarctica research station. The person who brought it in was fully vaccinated, tested and had completed 10 days of pre-travel self-isolation.

How'd he get it, then, in the airport?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks, I'm really not scared about her getting through it, I know she will. I'm just really scared of finding out she's gonna have lung scarring or vertigo when she's 30 from it.

There are tons of thing she gets exposed all the time that have with potentially rare side effects. Some of them we don't even know about yet and won't until years or decades in the future. You can't live your life worrying about something which is uncommon and over which you have absolutely no control anyway. Worry about what is, not what might be.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

QuarkJets posted:

Hopefully much much more, because what I want to see happen is A) the injunction ends quickly, B) the former employees sue ThedaCare for lost compensation during the time that they were barred from working but are given a fuckload more than that since ThedaCare is just being vindictive and needs to be made an example of, and

This is precisely why "punitive damages" exist: to punish the company for doing this and discourage them or others from doing it in the future.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Canuckistan posted:

This is fun!

A hot take from my local paper.

I assume that's a misprint, but it looks like the article blaming the Kaiser is also attributed to him.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Scarodactyl posted:

Cola is a fantasia flavor combining vanilla, acid and cinnamon, and yet they still make vanilla coke.

I'm pretty sure coke is flavored primarily with a bunch of the brown spices, especially nutmeg.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Did you hit probate, probate, ban, and reply, all in a row?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bucswabe posted:

I'll just try to break down my thought process as best I can, and people can poke holes in the logic. Vaccines were pitched as the solution to the pandemic. And in Canada, at this point, close to 90% have gotten the vaccine. I 100% supported the argument that people not getting vaxxed are selfish, and I supported the passports in restaurants, gyms, etc. But Omicron really changed everything. Suddenly, everyone, despite vaccine status was getting Covid (myself included) and so the argument for why vaccines are essential was muddied. Now, the best you can argue is that getting vaccinated is for the purpose of not being one of the few hundreds of people that end up in the hospital or ICU. And while I can see that argument, I think the idea of a government forcing a health care decision on the population, at the threat of your job and ability to support yourself and family as going too far.

It reduces the spread, not just the severity. Even with Omicron, though it's less dramatic than with wildtype or Alpha.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I got COVID for the sixth time and I'm currently working through it :kheldragar:

This has been the worst infection I've had since OG by far. I started out feeling meh Thursday, on Friday I had so little energy I called off work early and basically shuttled between my bed and the couch, yesterday was fevertown and today it's a sore throat, mucus and coughing. It's basically been Wack-a-mole with symptoms: as soon as one gets knocked down another emerges

Oh and I've been up since 0230 eastern because I've had such violent coughing fits it kept me awake.

What sort of job do you work?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

found out my sister tested positive this week. this is her first time. she is unvaxxed and lives with my unvaxxed (and now fully converted anti-vax) parents. she says it's the worst she's ever been sick.

my parents just tried to get me to go over to their place to visit yesterday evening, and then out to eat at a steakhouse with them. i passed, both because family from out of town were visiting who i'd rather not deal with and i don't want to eat inside at a bustling steakhouse during a pandemic. i didn't know i was dodging a bullet because the bastards didn't even mention she was sick when they invited me. and of course they didn't think twice about going out to eat at a crowded restaurant after being exposed to her in the same house for days. she at least stayed home because she didn't feel well.

i texted her tonight when i heard and found out my parents are giving her hydroxychloroquine, which they had leftover from when they caught it in january :stonk:

goddamn my family is nuts. my sister doesn't have health insurance, so there's no way she's going to visit a doctor, but i did pass along the online paxlovid info from this thread. i'm not sure if i convinced her to try to get it tomorrow (day 4 of her symptoms), but i hope i did. she's not as dumb as my parents, she is just trapped in their bubble due to living with them and mostly goes along with what they say because arguing with them is agony.

your family is openly plotting to kill you

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

Jill Biden has COVID now

Had Joe already stopped quarantining?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

"Maybe we're just not surrendering hard enough to the virus?"

Free tests through USPS being cancelled after 9/2. Order asap. I'm waiting on them to cancel the emergency act so my insurance no longer has to pay for them either.

I didn't even realize they had authorized another 8 free tests to be shipped to everybody this May. :waycool:

Thanks for highlighting this!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DickParasite posted:

they may no longer be the dominate

:tizzy:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tagra posted:

Does Omicron still present with loss of smell? I feel like I haven't heard anyone talking about that symptom since Delta.

My mom experienced that when she got it earlier this month.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zugzwang posted:

Even if Zero Covid became impossible, the total and immediate shift to Zero Covid Restrictions is, uh, not great. Lotta sane middle ground between those extremes.

Is there?

China may be speedrunning this shift in public policy, but they're following the trail laid out by the rest of the world. The last three years suggest there's no appetite for anything else. Every other country in the world went from whatever restrictions and lockdowns they had in place to loving and sucking the doorknobs in Denny's bathrooms until their rear end turned blue (as is my understanding) once zero COVID was clearly impossible, with the arrival of Omicron, at the latest.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've had hosed up sinuses for half my life, rinses own even if they might feel uncomfortable at first. Usually because you mixed things wrong.

How do you mix salt water wrong?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Anne Whateley posted:

I think it's used to refer to the situation where someone catches covid and then while sick and contagious suddenly feels the need to go out, do things, see other people, etc., such as:

I thought it was referring to ddpm's parents, and their "let my call up my son and give him COVID" behavior

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just coughed up a big glob of the absolute deepest and darkest green lung-gunk I have ever seen in my life and boy do my lungs feel amazing right now, I haven't been able to breathe this easily since before getting sick. A+

Did it make a full cast?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pharmaceutical companies shouldn't be allowed to sell literal snake oil, leave that to the homeopaths.

The original literal snake oil actually did treat arthritis and other conditions! The reason the name became synonymous with useless overhyped products was because of salesmen in the days before ingredient testing and false advertising regulations who sold products as "snake oil" that didn't contain any (or even that were derived from nonbeneficial snakes, like rattlesnakes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Stickman posted:

Not just prone to misreading - they don’t actually give specific follow-up advice if your symptoms have improved but you still test positive at day 5.

They’re recommending to continue isolation if you test positive at day five, but the guideline for when to end isolation is “day 10 or until your symptoms improve”? Clear as mud.

I don't see the problem; if you pop positive on day 5, your symptoms are irrelevant; keep isolating until day 10.