Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Game looks dope. I will definitely play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Is that a lobster boat?

Jel Shaker posted:

sorry for the long post but it’s the first article i’ve seen in the mainstream british press which is vaguely on this planet

It's a good article. Thanks for posting it. I'm pretty curious what is the sentiment in other countries to the Ukrainian war. I'm not surprised that American and British newspapers are pushing the line the US government wants.

I find a very different reaction speaking to people in person. Anyone I know in finance or government 100% believed this is a proxy war by the US over material reasons, like US being a gas exporter and needing a new war to replace Afghanistan.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Feb 24, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

A peaceful protest with real material impact. Awesome.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What is the peace that the US would accept for Ukraine? I remember Russia proposing early on basically Donbas + "no NATO" and even Zelenskyy speaking about peace months ago that Russia could accept, but I can't remember ever reading anything about any sort of peace deal from the US. Has there been any peace deal proposed with US support? If so, what? I know the real answer is the US isn't interested in peace because this war is incredibly profitable for gas exporters, and MIC needs to replace Afghanistan with something.

I can't imagine a US backed peace deal that doesn't start Cold War 2 and another Cuban Missile Crisis.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

I Helped Make Afghanistan Safe For Organized Child-Rape And I'm Here To Tell You About Why Russia Bad, and other lessons i learned from gbs

lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Lot of posts in the Ukraine/Russia War thread. I wonder what's going on.

Al! posted:

putin bottomless just whipping his dick around like a propeller

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

A retired general who is now a chair on European policy analysis group. A literal armchair general advocating to escalate a proxy war into a full blown war.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

euphronius posted:

A trade war with China would be helpful for price inflation in the USA I think,

Recent history has shown those are good and easy to win.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

yellowcar posted:

russia took crimea incredibly easily because ukrainian military stationed there mostly or all defected

https://www.reuters.com/article/cnews-us-ukraine-crisis-crimea-annexatio-idCAKBN1A90G0-OCATP
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26410431

also the takeover (march 27, 2014) happened well after the sochi olympics were over (feb 23, 2014)

lol

quote:

Years before the Crimean annexation, a Ukrainian appointment panel appeared to drop its guard when it interviewed Yeliseyev for the deputy naval commander’s post.
So the panel asked Yeliseyev what he would do if Russia and Ukraine went to war. He replied that he would file for early retirement, according to Myroslav Mamchak, a former Ukrainian naval captain who served with Yeliseyev. Despite this response, Yeliseyev got the job in 2006.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Homeless Friend posted:

lol they handed china their entire market share
Makes sense now that Russia is selling all of its gas to China and India. US tries to sanction Russia and ends up buying goods made from Russian oil anyways.

I'll be surprised if Russia doesn't start building more pipelines to China during this war.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Dudes rock

quote:

As the exercise continued, the 20th increasingly took on the role of the Soviet pilots. The maintenance crews hung a red tablecloth on a pole and mounted it to the back of their truck, and then added red scarves made of cut up rags. Aircrew took up this bit of flair, which has remained part of the uniform of the 20th to this day. A red star was added as a mission patch.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

It really sounds like oil shippers are just hiding the fact they are buying and transporting cheap Russian oil. It's not like anyone will test it and see that it's Russian sourced oil. It's loving oil.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
loving lol at the way to measure contribution as % of a countries military budget. 5% of the US military budget is greater than all those countries combined.

Apparently 22% of Bulgaria's military budget is a lot of rifles and bullets.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/bulgaria-send-its-first-military-aid-ukraine-2022-12-09/

quote:

The list of arms is classified, but government officials have said Sofia would mainly send light weaponry and ammunition.
"My approach has been conservative, because I need to ensure the defence capabilities of Bulgaria. The aid is fully in line with Ukraine's priorities, but we are not sending S-300 systems, nor MIG-29 or SU-25 aircraft," Stoyanov told Nova TV on Friday.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Obama also won the Nobel Peace Prize while bombing the hell out of weddings, so I assume it's some Orwellian doublespeak.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

genericnick posted:

Yeah, and what are the euros gonna do? Sure the dumb war will massively degrade European industry, but that just means Franz von und zu Hintertupfing now is even more dependent on the US navy protecting his oversea investments.

Germany will defend itself from this act of war and call upon NATO members to join the attack against Ukraine.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Russians are integrating human wave tactics into their missiles strikes

lmao

Looking up the cost of the Iranian drones Russia bought bugged my eyes out. They are absurdly cheap compared to anything in NATO and can carry some missiles. $20k a pop? That's nothing. It's the sort of military engineering US MIC is incapable of producing because their isn't enough grift. Shooting it down with a Javelin missile costs over $200k. And then somehow Ukraine lost a fighter jet to one of these drones.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

More of these than I can count but I got bummed out reading the fatal accident reports interspersed.

Anyway, they cost a fortune and seem to get scratched a lot, sometimes in ways that seem like shoddy workmanship imo.

Kids don't do metalwork like they used too.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

I can't fault him for trying. He saw a chance to be on the Oscars. Maybe deliver some of his new jokes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Germany should attack Ukraine.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What is wrong with this demon cracker country? Russia, China, now Mexico and anyone with Lithium. Where is the US not starting poo poo? Antarctica?

Also I decided to take a gander at German electricity prices. I remember they went nuts during the start of the Ukraine war, like quadruple price for a few months. Prices are evack to normal levels. Germany introduced price caps and spent billions subsidizing electric bills by taxing green energy's unreasonable profits during high electric prices. loving lol this country is never going green.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Cuttlefush posted:

Posts worth reading for those who haven't yet.

Those were some insightful posts.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

I mean it does drive me a little crazy that we have policy papers saying explicitly that on the next go round the Georgian Army will hide in cities and dare Russia to flatten them and kill the civilian population, but how do we turn that into an English-language sign in street protests?

It doesn't matter what counter protest you stage if US aligned media is pushing the narrative of a colour revolution; they will push the US message. You need some other way to project your message. Why do you think China made TikTok? :china:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

They should have sent them more shovels.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Sometimes you've got to hand it to the Taliban.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

So I don't know, these OSINT guys must be pretty loving stupid.

I'll stop you right there. This is the answer.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
lmao. That's some good hotdogging.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Isn't the entire plot of the last Top Gun movie this? Ace pilots showing off how human pilots still own and drones suck.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Ok I can find anything. What is the alleged war crimes against Putin? Or is claiming the invasion itself is a war crimes?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

January 6 Survivor posted:

"USSR back in the loving 1930s : sure we aren't perfect but you lynch people" : bad, whataboutism, awful terrible society
"Modern day Ukraine : we aren't perfect, our lynchings are justified only 90% of the time" : good, progress oriented, bulwark of western civilization

You can't just say all lynchings are bad. That's like racism.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Ben of Ben & Jerry's opposes US support for Ukraine war. Also it's pretty sweet to be recognized as an "ice cream magnate".

https://vtdigger.org/2023/03/20/vermont-nonprofit-founded-by-ice-cream-magnate-ben-cohen-opposes-u-s-support-for-ukraine/

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Don't underestimate ice cream. Pizza Hut brought down the Soviet Union. Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream has deep ties to the Democrats and Les Wexler (billionaire Epstein financer).

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

Moreover, we saw Boris Johnson personally intervene, Ukraine kill their own top negotiator, God knows what else.

God drat how did I miss this happening?

CyprianLatewood posted:

It feels so bizarre to see the end of totalized American global hegemony and the return of true multipolarity that I'm having a hard time internalizing it. All this over the eastern region of some backwater where the US decided to try to put some dipshit nazis in charge. It all adds up perfectly well and it's not like it's surprising in retrospect that neoliberalism led to a state apparatus incapable of thinking long-term materialistically but still.

I imagine that anyone born the same year the cold war ended must feel the same but it's so bizarre to like... have positive feelings about the future.

Trump will win his campaign for re-election against a desiccated Biden. The Trump administration will once again fail to secure a Chick-fil-A franchise, allowing Xi Ping to swoop in with a Dicos deal and kicking off US balkanization.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Not So Fast posted:

Is 1500 even remotely realistic? I feel like this is Medvedev hoping for 1500.

That said even just 300 would be more than the West is currently delivering so who knows. Shoot for the stars.

Build 300 tanks and then an additional 1200 cardboard tanks to soak up drone and missile fire.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY
20 year old ideas that are actually kinda interesting getting looked over again.

The problem is the whole concept requires close cooperation with South Africa and, well, BRICS happened in the meantime.

lol PowerPoints used to be so cool.

I thought military PowerPoints were notorious for being terrible? Or is that exclusive to the US military?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Look at these dumb orcs rolling out these ancient tanks!
* ignore that US has exact same plan if they ever went to war

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

has there ever been any conflict Russia's ever been involved in where everything went great for them from start to finish and they accomplished their goals perfectly without shooting every bullet they have into their feet first.

Georgian War went pretty well too. And that previous war where they captured Crimea.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
$30,000,000 jet taken out by crashing into a $20,000 drone made with the chip from a laundry machine.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

OctaMurk posted:

The horses would be more useful at a petting zoo imo

Your worried about fighting on the front but somehow are assigned to the pony platoon, a mobile petting zoo to boost morale.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

i keep referring back to frankie boyle's excellent russia documentary for the 2018 world cup where he mentions that he went to russia expecting a post-soviet depressing place but found it to be just as developed overall as scotland

so just as depressing as Scotland

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

The losses on this page. drat.

For those without blurry vision:
TOTAL ASSESSED LOSSES

Russia
Assessed combat sustainability: moderate
  • 16k - 17.5 KIA
  • 7 fighters/bombers. 8 rotary wing
  • 600 ground vehicles (or maybe 900?)
Ukraine
Assessed combat sustainability: moderate
  • 61k - 71.5 KIA
  • 60 fighters/bombers. 32 rotary wing
  • 21 strategic SAMs; 74 tactical SAMs

edit: for some perspective media has claimed Russia suffering wild casualties like 5k a month or over > 80k total.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Vernii posted:

So basically it gets leaked or stolen by Russian intelligence, they get the valuable info from it, modify parts of it, then release it onto TG as a "leak" for public and media to focus on the easily digestible parts (casualty counts) as a way to upset the narrative. Basically a pretty smart dual-purpose opsec breach and psyop.

We've already seen in this thread the losses count image with flipped numbers for Ukraine and Russia, so both sides are already doing this psyop.