Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
After reading about the combat system a bit, it sounds like instead of stance switching to help extend a combo this time it will be weapon swapping? If so that might be a nice middle ground with a bit less complexity than in Nioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Do we know what the weapon selection is this time? Do we get to keep the fists and tonfas?

Don't know if we have a full list, but something on the first page mentions 13 melee weapons and 3 ranged. If each weapon is a completely different type then I would hope we'll get some less common ones like tonfa and punchy claws. Have any of the gameplay clips shown more than swords, spears and axes?

Jack Trades posted:

Hopefully that's not the case.

I liked the Niohs a lot, but ya gotta admit there was A LOT of systems in those games. And sure that helped extend the gameplay life for me since I was still learning new things 40 hours in, but it also presents a steep learning curve for new players. I'd be OK with something between 'here's your light combo, here's your heavy combo' and 'each weapon has a low, medium and high stance combo, with several additional learned movies that can be assigned to different button combinations across some or all of the stances. And items. And magic. And yokai abilities. Don't forget to flux ki pulse!'

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

The story trailer really drove home that the optimal audio to play with will be Mandarin.

Hell yeah, Nioh in Japanese all day every day. I watched a streamer play through most of Nioh 2 in English and it was just weird.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

Also in this game, poison being classified under Metal; for example, Baihu deals both physical and Toxin damage with its melee attacks.

Gonna see how this runs off my ghetto SSD RAID0 for the demo so I can try out my tetanus build :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Demo seems to be live on Steam, 17GB!

e:
Aright bootin' this bad boy up, bout to see how she runs through Proton :pray:

e2:
Well so far not great. The game boots and the menu looks fine, but when I try to start a new game I just get a black screen. I can hear sound and if I hit buttons I get the little Skip prompt in the corner, but can't seem to actually get any further :negative:

e3:
No info yet on config tips for Steam/Proton tweaks, guess I'm gonna give it a shot on the ol' PS4. Now it really will be tomorrow before I can play :smithicide:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 24, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I lied and played to the first checkpoint on PS4. Pretty cool so far, I have no idea what I'm doing but that's to be expected. After Elden Ring the attacks being on the face buttons is wrecking my poo poo, but I'll relearn it eventually. I can tell learning enemy timings for deflects is going to be pretty important. And yeah I skipped most of the character gen stuff but there are a LOT of options for just about everything.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

Trying out the demo on Steam. Can't get past the intro cutscene because it's playing in slow motion and can't be skipped. Fun.

Edit: They forgot to package a codec or something with their game.

Thinking back I bet this is exactly what I was getting. I thought it was growling like a dragon or something was talking to you, but it was actually just the cutscene dialogue being played at 1% speed :raise: I did notice that the PC demo was 2.00 while the PS was 2.01, have they pushed out any patches for PC since this morning?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Btw if you’re struggling with the 2nd phase of the 1st boss you only need to get him to around 70% and then you can use Triangle+Circle(not sure what is is on PC) to end the fight. I think the message to tell you this is bugged because it doesn’t appear right away

I think it does appear, but it appears in the exact spot that a tip telling you about deflecting was for the entire fight, so unless you're staring right at it you very likely won't notice that the text has changed. That actually should be fixed for the real game. Just make it an autopop like the first Nioh 2 boss :rolleyes:

hatty posted:

That's the ticket, thanks! a companion is fine in the From souls games but a game where parrying is a major mechanic id like the boss to be focused on me at all times

He did manage to save me a couple of times by pulling aggro so I could drink a heal.

RatHat posted:

Yeah I think that was just a misunderstanding. There’s a “secret” mini boss in the 1st level(not really secret just off the main path) but nothing like that in the 2nd level as far as I know

🎵 Hello Nue my old friend 🎶

itry posted:

I don't think so. Some people are saying downloading "VP9 video extensions" from the windows store fixes it, but I seem to already have that (maybe an older version). Also already uninstalled the demo, so :shrug:

Yeah I saw that too, but didn't find a Linux version and just moved over to my PS4. It sounds like the devs don't have the greatest track record with PC ports anyway so sticking to console isn't the end of the world. The loading screens aren't great but I haven't noticed any problems with actual gameplay yet.

WarEternal posted:

I almost beat the first boss in one try but it took me like 40 deaths to kill a loving tiger.

Secret tiger only took me a few tries, as did the first boss! Or so I thought, then phase 2 spanked me for an hour+ :negative:

Some clips from the first level:

Secret Tiger Fight
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629341311344996352
At this point I didn't really know how the 'stamina' system worked, didn't feel like I understood it well until watching myself fight the first boss and just watching the bar to see what affected it and how.

Still panic'dly mashing buttons but this fight ended up looking cool
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629345465668980739

A decent run at boss 1 phase 1
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629358259088814081
Digging the lightning strike as a wakeup :science:

And my winning run an hour later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QZwBbROV4I
That quick fire blast is a lot of fun to work in to your regular combos. Also note how completely unnoticeable the prompt is to end the fight. I bet I got it several times throughout my attempts and just didn't see the drat thing :doh: FutureProTip: Pay attention to the brightly flashing icon on the far right...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 25, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

haven't played the new demo yet but in the first one the maximum morale, maximum fortitude, and the boss' level were all set to the same number, so just finding all the flags put you equal to the boss even after dying and there was no incentive to grind for levels that would only last 1 attempt. Not good if they changed that.

I still don't really understand all the numbers flying around, but at the end of the first level I had 3/3 of both icons at the top of the screen, which I assume are the big flag checkpoints and small flag morale increases. I died at the boss for a while and always stayed at 10 morale.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I just found the optional boss in the 2nd level, my buddy was like 'hey are you sure you want to go in there? We could totally turn around right now...' Getting nostalgic Dark Souls vibes of turning a random corner and seeing a dozen player bloodstains :rip:

Like others said, the actual midway boss (giant monkey demon thing?) was pretty easy, beat it first try with my new wooden cudgel. The numbers aren't as good as my sword but I love the *bonk* noises it makes when I'm crackin' heads.

e:
Probably just a combination of better character/gear and learning the battle mechanics, but everything in stage 2 is way easier than 1:
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1629431787872043016?s=20

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 25, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As a personal take, the loot system feels kinda bad. I've received multiple weapons that have a higher rarity and a bigger star rating than the lovely sword I started with, but either they don't even match the lovely starter sword's power, or the game does an awful job of presenting the weapon's actual stats.

If it's anything like the Niohs, the bonuses are more important than the overall strength. Those and fashion.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, as someone who played and loved both Niohs that's what I also suspect, but the game does a pretty awful job of presenting the information in any reasonable format.

Fair, it could do with a more robust tutorial about what all the various elements do and what affects what. Will probably clear up a lot once people start posting builds for certain weapons/spells.

That's one change I really do like, instead of tying magic to items or MP it just costs stamina which you're constantly regening through combat. Makes it feel a lot better to try them all out a lot versus saving it up for bigger encounters.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

Hey this game's great. I COULD grind my morale up to make fighting this tiger easier, or I could stubbornly run straight to it every time I die and bash my head against it until I figure it out!

What's the difference between morale and fortitude? I think it was fortitude I was looking at earlier, that number at the top right of the screen that goes up every time you plant a flag. I guess morale is the number that shows up in the middle of the screen and seems to go up as you kill enemies?

lets hang out posted:

I did learn that defense from armor mitigates a lot of the damage it deals. Not sure what the difference between blue and green weight is, but at yellow you lose your cool flippy dodge and get a dark souls roll,

Yeah my survivability went way up when I put on some heavier armor, and I did find that at 70% you get a mid roll dodge. ProTip: If you double tap O to roll, you can hit O a third time to do another smaller dodge for no extra stamina.

lets hang out posted:

and at red you can't deflect at all which is probably unplayable, it even puts a status effect icon on your screen to let you know you've hosed up. Haven't figured out whether weight helps with blocking but it did in Nioh so you know, probably.

Over/under on how many days until some streamer is doing a Red Encumbrance Run?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yeah also beginner protip: put your first level into an element that gives you magic points as that effectively unlocks spells. I put my first few points into wood for HP so I didn't get magic for a little bit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:same: Probably my favorite change so far.

:hfive:

Right now my go-to combo is deflect, two regular attacks then either triangle attack, martial arts move or quick spell like the fire burst. You can mix and match your combos quite a bit depending on what kind of movement you need and is virtually stamina neutral. Gonna be fun to watch speedrunners min/max what moves do the most stamina damage and just chain stagger each boss to death.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

wizardry point gain is only based on level, not specific stats, as evidenced by my pure wood character with 3 different wood spells to use

i'm not sure if it's your total elemental level or if it's just that every X point invested in an individual stat grants universal wizardry points, i'll have to test that out later

oshit is it? I thought I was getting spell points by leveling up elements that were magic focused, but I guess that could have been a coincidence if it's based on overall character level. That way would actually make a lot more sense specifically to avoid someone accidentally locking themselves out of magic :doh:

Noam Chomsky posted:

Is Nioh 2 worth playing if this is right around the corner? I got stuck on the early snake boss and gave up.

Nioh 2 is a great game, pretty much an across the board improvement on the first game in all but story, and snake boss is a lovely difficulty spike for a lot of players so you're definitely not alone in struggling there. If you like that kind of game it's probably the best one out right now, if you wish there weren't quite as many different systems to juggle and manage it may be worth deep diving Wo Long instead.

Perestroika posted:

I'll also add that the Nioh 2 snake boss is a notorious lovely road block and once you manage to grind through it the rest of the game is way more fun and much less frustrating.

:yeah:

e:

Overlord K posted:

The snake being a roadblock in 2 is funny since once you beat it you had the demon summon that could basically carry you through the entire game.

Until they nerfed it anyway where it went from OP to just stupidly good. :v:

Pouring one out for the 'snake summon ricocheting 4 times and insta poisoning everything on screen' crew :patriot:

The Chad Jihad posted:

The nioh 2 boss that rustled my jimmies was that fire guy. Idk he just had my number

The boar guy :negative: After snake it was smooth sailing for me up until that fight, then I got stuck for multiple days. Nothing like that happened again until I rushed the final boss in NG+ while being grossly under leveled/geared.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i played the demo for this and got past the first boss. seems really fun, and i kind of want to get the game now.

:same:

RatHat posted:

Lady Osakabe is really irritating since there’s attacks coming from all directions but she’s not too bad with headphones since you can hear the fireballs coming from behind. It also really really helps if you can DPS the tentacles down fairly quickly.

Yeah that fight sucked, giving a bad name to house wives everywhere :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 26, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ataxerxes posted:

Any tips for the 2-phase boss of the first map? Deflecting his normal blows is doable, but the critical ones seem to be strangely off so I wiff the deflects very often. Which weapon and spells would be good?

Strangely I had the opposite problem, I felt like I was having to deflect way early to catch his regular swings, but I don't think I ever failed to break his arm every time he tried the red attack :shrug:

His arms being big spikey blobs probably messed with my visual hitbox assumptions.

Ulio posted:

Amen. Honestly I just get sad when people want talented devs to make the same poo poo over and over again. The only reason we even got this soulslike genre is because Fromsoft was asked to do something new and they just went crazy because they had 0 expectations.

Wat. FromSoft has been iterating on the same gameplay mechanic ideas for decades. Look up any of the King's Field games or stuff like Eternal Ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt916NXbvoE

and you can clearly see the DNA of what would become Demons/Dark Souls. The only thing that changed is consoles got powerful enough to support a 3rd person camera. Also goddamn do they love poison swamps :stare:

Hel posted:

What? The soulslike genre is the result of From Software being allowed to iterate on their action-dungeoncrawler games for ~10 games before one of them actually became an international hit. So it's not really surprising that some people want other series to have the same chance.

:yeah:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Replaying the demo to try it solo and pick up the dual wield weapons I missed my first time through. Is there a way to extend your magic hotbar or can you really only use 4 at a time? For how much utility you get out of them that seems pretty low, and I remember in Nioh there was an option buried in the menu to give yourself more item sets so you could have 4 sets of 4 quick icons. But in this game we do have a separate item bar a la Dark Souls so :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Found a paragliding glitch in one of the martial arts:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1630773430470553601?s=20

Vermain posted:

it's a maximum of 4, which feels like a deliberate attempt to make the choice of which spells to take more impactful; even a second bar of 4 would allow you to cover most of the spells in a single tree

a game like ER gave you enough spell slots that you could cover almost all of your bases, but that consequently made each spell feel less like a part of your build and more like another tool in the toolkit. i think the emphasis here is on choosing the spells which best support your playstyle or the situation you find yourself in over becoming a swiss army knife, which helps to create more definition to each individual character

Fair enough, especially if a lot of the spells are just 'this earlier spell but better' so you can set things up how you like and then upgrade to similar things as you go. Was just a bit weird to me they wouldn't even let you have one spell per element tree equipped at once.

isk posted:

I'm happy with a smaller available pool of spells. Prebuffing in Nioh 2 gets silly at the high end. Reapplying all those buffs mid-fight gets even worse.

I'm not sure what you mean :confused:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1375289087876243468?s=20

CharlestonJew posted:

The first boss was very hard for me because his stretchy arms really messed up my sense of timing

:same: I think the spikes made it look bigger than it was and I kept deflecting too early.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

double jumping off of enemies(including the first boss) can flinch them out of most non-critical attacks,

YOU CAN GOOMBA STOMP PEOPLE??

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't unlock for another 4 hours, but went ahead and preordered because I know I'll get it eventually and the reviews seem to be 'pretty much Nioh' which is OK with me :ninja:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

this game looks very Nioh on my ps4 pro its has this like kinda jaggy edge to everything? doesnt bother me its just odd cuz the way the both games start is throwing me for a loop a little bit

game fun tho

Yeah it's not going to be visually impressive, especially on a PS4, but if that's in service of keeping a consistent high framerate then fair trade IMO.

Is there a way to compare gear between what you're wearing and what you're looking at in your inventory beyond the game just showing you if the main stat is higher or lower? Or is that just the game's way of letting you know to not worry about it and just make number go up?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Every soulslike needs at least one

Also my impression from the demo was that the loot system was way more tolerable? You get more loot dumped on you from clearing a single room of enemies in Nioh or stranger of paradise than you do in an entire level of Wo Long. Unless that’s not the case in the full game?

So far the loot does seem significantly less than in the Nioh's, where every single fight littered the ground with a rarity rainbow of random gear. But it also seems to suffer from the same issue of (so far) there not being an obvious point to looking at any of the drops you do get beyond 'make big number go up' while staying in your desired weight class. Hopefully that's something they can tweak in the first few patches.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is there a list of what the different banners you can hang actually mean?

Also waiting for this before I pick which one I want to use out of the like 200 characters available.

Scoss posted:

I was about ready to strangle the blindfolded dude for constantly telling me to USE THE JADE! on phase two when I had no idea what the gently caress that meant.

He's telling you to use your spirit animal to automatically end the fight. That the game makes the on screen prompt so difficult to notice is some seriously bush league UI design.

I'm maybe half way through the 3rd level, has anyone found that you actually miss anything by keeping the AI dudes with you? I had assumed it's intended to have them there on a first playthrough to hear their dialogue, but from what I can tell they don't ever say anything substantial and having them run around fucks up your own fighting more often than not.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought this bird in the 3rd level was really gonna gently caress me up, being 8 levels above me. But after a few tries I just got a little more aggressive and ended up Flawless Victory'ing it :madmax:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1631760127802867713?s=20

Vermain posted:

the bosses are heavily tuned around spirit disruption, as it's easily the most damaging single move you can do without crazy item minmaxing. the wizard man took me several minutes and a couple of tries because he's evasive enough that getting spirit attacks and martial arts off was drat near impossible, but the followup monkey man was a joke because of how many crit attacks he threw out that i could parry and blow up his health bar with

Yeah I think for most applications your focus should be on loving up their stamina bar so you get the red critical prompt versus general DPS.

Ciaphas posted:

jfc those steam reviews. i literally cannot believe so many people want to play a game like this with K&M

If there's one failing of the PC Master Race, it's this. Been whining since Dark Souls 1 about games very obviously designed around a controller. Go play Mario 64 on KBM you goofballs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I did enjoy discovering I could 'deflect' those spiked log traps that some enemies will roll down hills at you.

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah that’s pretty much how Nioh was too. If the combat is anything like nioh
Yeah pretty similar.

Thumbtacks posted:

it has good weapon options
Cool weapons but the movesets are much reduced from stance dancing and buying extra moves in the Niohs. You're expected to mix in weapon-specific martial arts moves and magic to your combos which looks awesome so that's good.

Thumbtacks posted:

and set bonuses and stuff

Eehhh, maybe things scale up in NG+ but so far in a first playthrough the weapon/armor attributes are largely inconsequential.

Thumbtacks posted:

Hopefully it’s still upsettingly hard

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

That’s pretty standard for nioh tbh, assuming this game also has like NG++++

Feels a lot different to me, because in the Niohs increased rarity also put the main stats in a different range. A Unique katana would do way more base damage than a Common one. But here AFAIK rarity just controls how many little bonus attributes a weapon or armor has, their attack/defense stats stay the same. In Nioh you didn't bother upgrading or forging anything in NG because better gear was just a random drop away, here that seems to be much less the case.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

can confirm, it's sick as gently caress

when you buy and launch the full game for the 1st time it'll ask if you want to import your demo save*, if that's what you mean. you'll pick up right where the demo left off

(edit) * on steam, that is, but I can't imagine other platforms being any different

Can confirm for PS4. It even stuck me at the same flag I was at in stage 2 so I had to finish the level again to continue on :haw:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with magic? It feels extremely weak. I'll probably load up on buffs and try that instead but so far I don't see the point.

It is a lot weaker than other games like DS or Nioh, but you can also cast it multiple times in every fight forever as long as you get a few deflects first. I get the feeling you're meant to work it into your regular attacks much more frequently than in games with item/MP based magics.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Man, Zhang Bao can eat a dick. Sure, let's make a boss who can and will teleport out of the way of your spirit attacks whenever he feels like. He wasn't even so much difficult as just supremely annoying, as half the fight just consisted of running after him or his adds.

Currently stuck on him :kingsley: Should probably swap out my fire burst magic for the water/ice one...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah don't know if I've ever 'proc'ed' ice on him, not sure what that would even look like. But my new strategy of hanging back and parrying fire to build up my icicle throwing juice feels a little bit better, I'm not having to physically run him down to hit him with stuff at least. What do fire mage's adds actually do? I don't notice anything different when they're there or when I kill them.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

They just give him a buff to his morale, and killing them off brings it back down. So it's a good idea to kill them sooner rather than later, but you don't need to drop everything to do it instantly if that would expose you to his attacks.

In the end I got him mostly by hanging out at mid-distance, parrying the fire rings and projectiles to boost my spirit for spirit attacks, and baiting out his big red attacks for counters. His sword attacks were usually what got me, so staying out of range of those helped a fair bit.

:negative:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1632306511501225985?s=20

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

also, what are the loud "glass breaking" noises that happen sometimes when you hit things? It happens a lot when throwing spells.

Wondering this as well. I thought it would be their spirit breaking to get you the big red counter but that's not it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I kind of dislike the morale system, it's not particularly fun to either be unnecessarily weak against boss or have to comb through a level you have already beaten because you missed some stuff

One of the things I found to be a benefit of the system: when I backtracked through the 3rd stage looking for a missing flag, the enemies kept getting weaker and weaker because by then my morale was pinned to 18 or whatever and they were still sitting at like 5. Made replaying old sections significantly less painful.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Came back fresh tonight and beat the fire mage first try, turns out I just had to stop caring about how long it took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfEMwpZCEJ4

Following that I unlocked the standalone demon monkey boss fight and got a fairly clean clear on him first try as well :yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCxyX2KWrOQ

Being able to jump around levels from any flag is great, but not having a map screen cursor is really messing with me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Yeah that confuses me too, wish they didn't autopunt you into the next main mission and make you load back out for any side missions you want to do. Kicking me out before I've had a chance to pick up any items that may be laying around is also some bullshit. This problem was fixed in Nioh 1 and 2, they un-fixed it :mad:

Thumbtacks posted:

My head hurts

Jokes on them, I'm still just leveling everything evenly :smuggo:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 7, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Currently jumping around this shantytown in level 4(?), the one with the explody rats. Normally platforming is, heh something awful in these games, but I'm actually having a good time sprint-jumping across big gaps to reach flags and items.

Bloodly posted:

If you're balanced, you get a bonus. The more of your stats are balanced, more bonuses.

:actually: I read that as: Based on how many Virtues you have that meet that condition, 3, 4 or all 5, you will get one of three bonuses. Guess it could go either way... now my head hurts.

e:

Thumbtacks posted:

What poison spell are you using? I've noticed some of them have some difficulty actually poisoning things, especially bosses.

I don't have a proper build yet, but I'm using the one where it throws out an AOE of poison on the ground in front of you. Seems like that usually keeps things in the area long enough to proc.

Also just discovered you can punch up and kick down while on ladders :getin:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 8, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Anyone try invading? Doesn’t seem like the combat would work super well against another player, and with internet lag too.

Ruffians!

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1633331745230671873?s=20

Do you have to do something to opt-in to invasions? This is the time I've seen the mechanic used but with an NPC.

Johnny Joestar posted:

a friend of mine is wary that i haven't put any points into wood, but, i seem to be doing okay!

In parry heavy games like this and Sekiro it feels like your gear and stats are less important than just mechanically getting gud. Sure high HP would help you tank more hits, but you shouldn't be getting hit a lot anyway. Higher DPS is better obviously, but most of your damage is probably coming from countering and criticals anyway so it's not a night-and-day change most of the time. In the video above I'm using a pair of dual swords that are significantly weaker than my other gear, but I like the long rear end 12-hit standard combo they have that lets me just hammer on people's guards until they break.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wamsutta posted:

I hope I unlock respec soon because I chose to go in on Earth because I like polarm padao but I didn’t know that apparently the only earth scaling weapons are all big slow twohanders. I keep finding these cool dual sword/halberds and they all invariably scale with water or fire or metal. Ideally I’d have the padao and then a dual fast weapon as secondary but idk if that’ll work out with stats.

Just watched a Wish I Knew video someone posted earlier, it turns out that you can save stats as part of an equipment set. So for example you could have one set with gear stacked for Earth and another where Water is your main stat, and swap between them freely at any flag menu :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey it's eldritch cow abomination from Nioh 2 :wave:

e:
Hiding the village key like that was dirty :mad:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 10, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mistermojo posted:

I guess I could just get good and not get hit so I could keep wearing the warlock outfit

Hell yeah warlock mask 4 lyfe
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1634420643423744001?s=20

Also poison prison mid(?) boss: :xcom:

e:

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just finished the stage you’re doing now. Baishe was really annoying to me for some reason. I found her grab really hard to block and I was never sure how to close in. She was probably the most annoying boss I’ve fought so far, if not the hardest. The mermaids are a huge pain too, since they have weird timings, long reach and back away constantly. The second half of the stage has some tough enemies, but they’re a lot more fun to fight.

I'm not done with the stage but I just beat snaketits, only took a few tries once I backed off a bit and learned to wait and deflect her tail whips. Also helped a lot that I looked up that Fire counters Metal (poison) so I could hit her stamina pretty hard and clear the pools she throws around the arena. Smack her with a giant spiked mace until she dies IMO.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

as well as surplus items not automatically replenishing from storage is much worse.

IIRC this was added in Nioh 2 in a patch, I think?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the first snow mission going to rescue this guy's son Bofu.

Yeah, Bofu Deez Nutz lmao gotem :bustem: