Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
TWW1 would have an issue with arty firing at the very edges of a unit rather than the center and missing half the shots, I wonder if this units can't shoot the edges of units in TWW2 bug is an attempt to fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Qubee posted:

must have quality of life mods, go go go, what do you nerds recommend?

i miss being able to construct roads so my armies could run through my territories really quickly. cause i usually have one centralized military province that just consists of military buildings, and then all my other provinces are just money-makers. it sucks dick having to spend 10 turns sending armies back and then to the front line again just to get good units.

There's a global recruitment mod to make the turn time the same as local recruitment. It makes global recruitment nicer.

Also a transport Lord who delivers good units to your front line armies can help - you can put all the recruitment blue line abilities on them and produce high level units cheaper.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

I dont know posted:

Every time I've tried to start a VC campaign I end up bouncing off them, their early game armies just feel incredibly boring, and there build up on the map screen, slow.

Get those zombies killed in ridiculous huge battles.

More deaths = better raise dead and then you can escape "basic skeletons and dogs" pretty fast. You get a random assortment of units too, so I end up using stuff I don't normally go for (like the ghost units).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Impermanent posted:

also what's the recommended way to like casual co-op this with a bud.

Pick factions that start near each other, but not both wood elves because the tree will gently caress over one of you.

Remember to give control of some of your units to your partner during battles they aren't involved in. Some micro heavy units are usually a great choice.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Is there a mod that just makes the AI actually try and fight your armies? Like not just when it has an overwhelming advantage?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Altar of Sotek, which is an altar that shoots a stream of snakes at enemies(mounted on a dino)

I demand a snake gun CA!

I won't even require it to mounted on a dinosaur, though that would be appreciated.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

I'd be ok with the ritual armies if they only attacked the ritual sites.

Having an epic showdown at the walls of Hexoatl = cool
Recolonizing a bunch of minor settlements = not cool

I like dropping 10k on a ritual harassment team, seeing them spawn next to an unguarded minor city being used as a ritual site, then run off to attack a completely different city with a full stack in it and instantly all dying.

That's cool too.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
You could also cheat engine, that's usually good for editing numbers.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

ZeusJupitar posted:

Just going by the names we're the vampirates.

Egotistical bloodsuckers raiding everywhere and taking everyone's poo poo?

Yeah, that checks out. That's us.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

sassassin posted:

Why is the Everqueen at war with every other High Elf faction? Something's very wrong on Ulthuan.

Elves are dicks.

And yes, something is very wrong - it's full of elves.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Gejnor posted:

Yeah but Araby does not make sense for Warhammer 3, its coming out now or never. Which means never given Grace's response.

Dogs of War on the other hand could be inserted safely into the next game given their mercenary nature, they may even be a horde faction.

Dogs of War would also make sense alongside Ogres as they would probably sharing some kind of mercenary mechanic.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
If you are in co op, does the building that randomly spreads undercities spread to your ally?

I know if I coved a place, a co-op partner could conquer it and the cove would stay even though you can't directly put a cove on ally territory.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Dpulex posted:

Is there a reason to play warhammer TW1? do these games have a story?

There's an argument that the old world campaign map is better for TW1 races than the Mortal Empires map due to the climate stuff introduced in TW2. Plus ME turn times are bad.

But some TW1 races have been revamped and have much more stuff in 2 (mainly vampire counts, but Bretonnia just got a rework).

I will summarise the plot of TW1:
Fight race appropriate enemy.
CHAOS INVASION.
Archaon dead, invasion over.
Fight everyone.

Vortex in TW2 has a bit more of a story, but ME doesn't.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Sotek in ME brought me a new delight and mistake on my part.

I took the vampire coast rebel city in the starting province, then left assuming the VC would mop up their other city. Ran down to grab the leftmost city in the starting province and Itza beat me by a turn, so I promptly attacked them while their units were weakened and went to siege Itza itself.

VC take the rebel city, I think nothing of it. Their rebel army wanders into my unguarded north and take the southern of the two cities. VC follow them, declare on me and take the northern city. Fester turn up with 2 stacks and thankfully my panic built capitol army is enough to hold that off(barely).

At least I have Itza! Shame about the sudden and inevitable attack Skrolk will soon do to me.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I would love something that basically changed it so you got access to everything early but couldnt use many of them.

Thrones of Britannia experiments with this!

Among other things that didn't go so well

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Agents got replaced with assignments which give you let you send a character to a region you control and give it bonuses depending on the characters skills and spies, which let you send characters to get information about enemies and do sneaky things.

It's so much better than agents.

The new retinue system means in romance mode you basically have heroes in your armies too and letting you use agents in your army is the best thing warhammer did with them.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Like even T1 dogs can rack up hundreds of kills if you are opportunistic.

I did not properly appreciate dogs in this game until I did a co-op campaign and we gifted each other flanking units to manage.

Micromanaged dogs can absolutely be murder machines.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Caidin posted:

They should get weird with it and make a Grail Reliquae LL. All the lines come with the peasants toting it about and they argue with the advisor.

Have it be the one from the event where it turns out it's actually a tomb king some peasants kidnapped.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Also, IMO drop the Assassin, they're terrible because of how the game engine works. If you want Tyrion dead, bog him down in rats and shoot the gently caress out of him.

They are quite good at being a small single target to engage enemies while your guns shoot whoever they are fighting.

It's like condensing your Skaven slaves into a single non los blocking rat.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

There's a reason that among the high elves, only the sea guard worship him: he's treacherous and cruel.

So you are saying the Elf God is an Elf?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Why do Slayers get higher leadership with ranks when they're all unbreakable anyway?

Edit: I started a Dwarf campaign as Ungrim because I've not really played Dwarves much, and are they supposed to be an incredibly slow expanding faction? It's turn 50 and I have 2 provinces and Mount Gunbad, though I am heading for the Crookback mountain area at the moment to see if could gain a foothold in Skaven territory.

Also, I had forgotten how much walking back and forth the old Warhammer 1 faction quest chains entailed.

Surely they should get lower leadership because they've been surviving battles and and that isn't the point damnit

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Having characters of varying strength and difficulty is good.

Tehenhuain just needs a less annoying sacrifice mechanic (I remember that was going to be fixed in this patch, did it actually)?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

tithin posted:

Is it just me or do High elves get kinda shafted on artillery? Eagle throwers don't seem to be very good

This might be a really silly question, but you are switching modes on the bolt throwers depending on what you are shooting at right?

Also if High Elves had artillery that shot giant eagles, I might actually use giant eagles.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Devorum posted:

What's the ethics of using Plunge Into Anarchy on an ally? I sent an agent to Lustria, and Skrolk has taken the entire thing over. I kind of want to see the pure chaos that would ensue if I Anarchy it.

Skaven army book posted:

The Skaven see betrayal as inevitable, and the only regret of such acts is getting caught before succeeding.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got fed up with the water mechanic and modded it out. Didn't really seem to add anything to the game other than wasting some extra turns here and there.

I always end turns near Skaven territory in Ambush stance because of what you described by the way. It still took like 3 stacks to finally corner and get rid of Snikch. Ugh.

Isn't the mechanic all positive?

If you have water you are immune to desert attrition.

If you don't, you are a normal army.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

yikes! posted:

sturdy infantry? skaven?

How much difference is there between something that doesn't die and something that you don't care if it dies, really?

Either way, the enemy is hitting something that doesn't matter!

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He’s pissed about AI Nakai being moved from Albion

Where does AI Nakai start? He's just holding onto a single city in Middenland at the moment.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Chaos Warriors are a FreeLC I thought?

It was the Warhammer 1 pre-order bonus iirc. Like how Warhammer 2's was Norsca (But with less code branching issues).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That was a thing in Attila, braced spears would reflect charge damage back on the charging unit. Yes, it was hilarious to watch a cav unit charge spears and melt. I played with it in a bunch of battles and I think my opinion on it was pretty mixed. It's neat from a realism standpoint, but it makes shock cav really bad.

I think they found a nice balance between cav, monsters, magic, melee and ranged in warhammer 2, if they implemented damage reflect I suspect it would just make shock cav super bad again.

It's in Three Kingdoms and shock cav is super super good there.

You only charge braced spears head on once in that game. That's enough to learn.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah... or it could be lava and floating rocks.

Sometimes it ends up being that more often.

It said waste! And thus I will present this setting using that word as the focus, instead of the more interesting word.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The most pure skeleton army is actually the empire IMO. Very few monster units, infantry heavy, quite big unit sizes, no ghosts or constructs, cavalry ride horses, artillery still come with like 30-40 crew, steam tank can be assumed to have crew. Brettonia also similar though i'm on the fence as to whether the fay enchantress counts, she flops around a lot when she moves so she might not have one. Green knight probably is full of celery.

VC/TK might be more obvious skeletons but ghosts don't have skeletons and the heavier reliance on monster units means low unit counts unless you deliberately go all skeleton, though their high unit sizes are a factor.

Gelt has probably replaced all his bones with gold, and I don't think that counts as a skeleton still.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

'imrik's noble insult assembler'

Are you kidding me this is great

Assemble insults against other nations, customisable for maximum impact to their personality.

Basic level insults generate a bit of influence.
Sicknasty insults give loads of influence, and force a nation not at war with you (if used on them) to declare war, eating all the diplo penalties from treaties and the like.

Plus all their enemies like you more.

Beating legendary lords unlocks new insults alongside their trait, and the insults used decide the buff your army gets from your sick burns.

Add flyting events where doing real well with your large collection of insults (and insult generated influence) lets you confederate another high elf faction.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
oh man, time to bring back the classic skavenslave stack as the cheapest possible support for a real army (aka weapons teams and artillery).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

more skaven and bigger too!!

Also people who insist on balance in a singleplayer game can shampoo my crotch lmao.

People should stop misusing balance to mean everything is the same.

Things being balanaced so some factions are easier and others are harder is good actually. Sometimes you want to easily overwhelm everything and sometimes you want the hardest challenge the game has to offer and this too is balance.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Arsonide posted:

I'm kind of bummed out after I watched a few guides on how to play certain factions. It seems that most of the "optimal" strategies involve sending a lord out in front of your army, then dancing back and forth so the enemy AI wastes all their ammo, before retreating and pushing forward normally. I don't really see the point of that, you might as well turn on loving god mode. Now I have to test my willpower playing while that possibility is in there.

Is there an AI mod or something that makes the AI not do this? How long has it been a thing without being patched?

If you outgun them, they advance on you.

Otherwise just send something you don't care about to absorb fire while you advance.

Zombies/slaverats/peasants/whatever your army gets thats there to die or tire the enemy.

Or build an entire army out of infiltrator units and laugh as you start right ontop of their ranged and just charge them down immediately.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Has anyone figured out some basic strategies for improving your economy as wood elves? I want to travel the world to do these quests for the little trees at around turn 30 or so so I can give my main tree more healing but I need to stay in my main forest because there are invasions and I can't really afford two full armies. Also my main army isn't strong enough to beat this 32 size army+garrison to do a confederation quest. I could try to fight the army and garrison seperately since it seems like I just need to beat them once but they don't seem to be interested in leaving their main city.

Sack things as people suggested.

The reason you usually don't sack places is because it means they lose a main building level, so its worse when you occupy it.

Skaven and wood elves give no fucks and whenever they have the movement (or a turn) should always sack and then occupy (That is select the sack option, your guy moves back, then move back in and occupy).

Skaven because the building level is controlled by food and wood elves because its an outpost, who cares.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 8, 2020

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

what's the single unit high score? i just got 708 kills with a bright wizard against greenskins

Now go back a patch, use pre-nerf burning head against skaven.

And also be high elf, so that fire mage can be on a dragon.

This will ensure maximum fire magic.

Unfortunately, you are now an elf.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Moulder was on my tree, attacking my outposts by like turn 13. Who the gently caress is letting them live after that?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

I miss launch of wh2 Dweller's Below.

I miss wh1 spirit leech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Legit confused at the people saying Lore of Beast sucks. It's has useful unit (de)buffs and Flock of Doom can carry you through the early game, while still being useful in the late game.
I suppose it's not an interesting Lore for multiplayer and it's perhaps not ~optimal~, but you can get a lot of use out of that starting Beast caster. Especially since the Sisters' first enemy are greenskins and Flock of Doom was made to chew through gobbo's.

In vortex. In ME their starting enemy is DE!

Having said that, it does a great job chewing through all the beastmen coming at you.

I'm not a big fan of the buff spells in this game though, I want to be casting big dramatic spells, give me a nice vortex or wind spell. Flock of doom would be much better with a cooler visual effect.

Or buff amber spear to the shadow of the horned rat level of killing a rat ogre in a single cast with perfect homing. I liked beasts in that game a lot.

Summoning a great eagle as your capstone is just poo poo as well. Especially in a sisters campaign where you start with a great eagle and then spend your whole time with it going "why can't you be another unit of hawk riders instead? Oh wait I can recruit them now, done."