Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I used to pride myself on knowing about all the terrible ill-conceived OG Xbox exclusives but I hadn't heard of (or completely forot aout) this one until now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvxDVLM1Upg

Kakuto Chojin: Back Alley Brutal! It's no Tao Feng, but then again, what is?

The reason this caught my eye is it was directed by Seiichi Ishii, a director with what must be the worst career trajectory of any FG developer: he went from VF to Tekken to Tobal 1/2 to Ergheiz to The Bouncer to this piece of poo poo.

EDIT: props for putting RAGE on the box art, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Grouchio posted:

Hey Matt what would be a good way for an eccentric man to start up a profitable blog/youtube channel?

I'm not Matt but here's an obvious piece of advice that still needs to be repeated: come up with a feasible update schedule, find a routine and fuckin' stick to it, no excuses. So many sites/podcasts/whatever go nowhere because the people involved make no effort to provide regular and consistent content, either because one of their posts takes off and they think they can coast for a while or because they're reliant on one or more people who are less invested than everyone else, or simply because they're lazy.

Regular doesn't mean constant, either - you could quite easily get by with a vlog/podcast that updates fortnightly, for example, provided you actually stick to your proposed schedule.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Roobanguy posted:

was project x zone the one with frank west in it for some reason? or was that some other cross over game.

Project X Zone has Bruno Delinger, ie Bruce Willis minus the license.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If Devil's Third is released by another publisher, that means it won't be subject to Nintendo's youtube bullshit, right? Win/win for the channel, I guess.

The Kins posted:

Seems like a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. I don't think we've seen pixel one of the actual game (was ANY media released after that live-action E3 trailer?) and everything I've heard about it has been negative.

They put out a Japanese video quite recently with new footage. The game is Amazon-exclusive in Japan, they're totally sending it out to die.

EU review codes are out now and the single-player embargo will lift shortly. It kinda reminds me of Evil Within in the way it constantly vacillates between "hey this might be okay" and "oh jesus this sucks", but there's also a thick coating of weird trashy diet Metal Gear story on top, plus all the UE3 jank you thought had been stamped out years ago. The multiplayer seems crazy ambitious (there's a whole faction system with a base editor and a diplomacy system and all sorts of poo poo) and I'm kinda sad it'll never, ever be played by anyone.

Beef Chief posted:

He is also a crazy man who believes that the Tekken series is a great series of garbage games because he claims in Japan there was an ad that Namco put out which attempted to besmirch DOA.

That wasn't serious, Itagaki is friendly with Harada and has been since before they both worked on fighting games, he just likes talking poo poo.

Beef Chief posted:

Devil's Third looks like rear end and the fact that known crazy person Itagaki is a big part of the game means I do not blame Nintendo for not associating themselves with it. Nintendo already has a good M-Rated game under their name that's not the worst kind of edgy.

Nintendo picked up this game solely based on Itagaki's reputation and they encouraged him to add all the self-indulgent cheesy garbage like Angry Bald Tattoo Man. They clearly regret it but it's not as if they didn't know what they were doing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kimmalah posted:

I guess being pissed about the game looking bad is understandable, but being mad that a community manager never played Mega Man is still the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

They got mad because she made positive comments about a piece of genderswapped art of the main character; only later on did it become about ethics in community management.

Dias posted:

What the gently caress is a Red Ash also.

Megaman Legends is called Rockman Dash in Japan.

Red Ash = Re-Dash

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 1, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Matt, this might be better served as a podcast question but I'm already here so I might as well post this:

You guys have talked about how you don't end up covering a lot character action games because you don't have the time to get really good at them and because you don't want to put on a poor exhibition (and because people complain if you're not 100% on point). With that in mind, what can smaller developers/publishers do to make these kinds of hardcore action games more amenable to videos from you and people like you? Is it simply a matter of sending out copies way in advance so people have time to practice, or is there something else that I'm missing that'd make life easier for content producers and maybe increase the odds of them featuring/covering a game?

I ask because a friend of mind is helping publish some cult Japanese action games on PC - not character action but similarly dense, and while I can't say what they are just yet I know at least Woolie is somewhat familiar with them - but even people who seemed like they'd be into this niche are knocking him back because the games are too much of a time investment. Maybe it's simply a case of "if we're not already familiar with or excited for a game, we won't bother", I don't know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Dude, I don't know. Personally, I'm fine with playing character action games day one, if they are really hype. It's moooostttttly Woolie that's against it, Pat too, to a lesser degree, but at the end of the day he'll do it when it comes down to it.

Woolie wanted DMC4 Special Editon to sell well, and we said we should do a video for it, and he was like, "Nah, not good enough." It's like, I dunno, just do the video.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lufia 2's better than Earthbound and by extension all other JRPGs, including the ones I haven't and won't play.

ChumpsForChange posted:

Cool that Matt's getting into iPad games there's some neat stuff there.
Cool iOS games:
Year Walk and its companion app

Year Walk just got a rejiggered port for Wii U that uses the gamepad/dual screens and I'd argue it's the best way to play. Nintendo's community people started LPing it recently which is kinda odd.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I own and have finished FF5 and I think it's a fun game that's creepy but not particularly scary (mainly because the new camera makes it piss-easy to fight things) and a game that repeats environments a little too often, and there's some typical survival horror weirdness to the controls that will or won't bother people (as well as skeevy bullshit too tedious to discuss).

I also own Devil's Third and in no way is it comparable to FF.

TheRealestMatt posted:

"Nintendo, WHY DON'T YOU RELEASE THESE GAMES IN THE STATES?!?!?! gently caress YOU! HATE YOU SO MUCH!"

*Nintendo releases game in NA after much protest*

"gently caress YOU, THIS GAME SUCKS! WHY DID YOU BOTHER RELEASING IT!??!"

The Devil's Third thing is especially stupid because, if the rumours are to be believed, Nintendo was letting XSEED publish the game because they didn't want it staining their own metacritic record, but when people started complaining that it wasn't coming they decided to take the game away from XSEED and publish it themselves for no good reason? Like, they've hosed their relationship with XSEED and are taking heat for releasing a shitheap, all for the sake of shutting people up about a game that was coming the entire time? People just hate the idea of being denied games due to region-locking and other bullshit, they don't really care how it gets here.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 20, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fatal Frame 2 was also remade for Wii but the English release is PAL-only so you need homebrew to get around the region lock - again, very easy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dias posted:

The fact it's on Indiegogo matters for poo poo.

It absolutely matters, every single discussion about Indivisible is dominated by complains/questions about IGG.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Devil's Third is about as long as Ride to Hell, maybe longer if you have trouble with any of the bullshit sections. It deserves nothing less than a full LP (but make Pat play this time)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Matt, when you reach the jeep section, be sure to get a good look at Ivan's arms as he operates the turret. Just sayin'.

EDIT: I think multiplayer is region locked, ie different servers for JP/PAL/NA. They really need to open that up when the NA version comes out if they want people to play. When it came out, the only people you could count on to show up were Valhalla devs who had their own clan and murdered everyone all the time.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 24, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dias posted:

I think the thread thinks more about Liam's position on censoring and everything else than Liam thinks about it, tbf. Take that as you will.

I don't care what position he takes, it's just tedious to listen to him argue about anything because he's bad at articulating his position and he can't seem to tell when everyone else has mentally tapped out so he pushes every argument way beyond the point where anyone still gives a poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's no way Nintendo won't print the absolute minimum number of copies it can get away with, it'll probably never be cheap.

It has a higher Metacritic rating than the Animal Crossing boardgame, for whatever that's worth.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

Isn't the multi-player free on the PC?

There's a f2p version in closed Japanese beta right now, published by Nexon. No idea when it's supposed to launch.

The Wii U version already has microtransactions - the in-game currency that confers the most weapon/gear upgrades can be bought with real money, but you do get a decent amount just for levelling up, checking into your clan bullshit every so often, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rhonne posted:

It also felt like no one else really wanted to engage in the conversation with him and just let him rant, though I could just be reading too much into it.

Nah, that's how every argument/"argument" plays out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rhonne posted:

Did any other fighting games come out this year besides what was nominated?

DOA5 revision, anime ports (Yatagarasu, UNIEL, Dengeki Bunko), the DBZ 3DS game...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheRealestMatt posted:

That's the thing. I wish it was way WAY worse.

You got "unlucky" in that you seem to have dodged a lot of the bugs I got hit with. Like, a lot of it was enemies having trouble with high platforms or floor-over-floor stuff where they'd magically teleport to ground level if they touched a ledge, or being unable to progress because your AI buddies got their limbs caught on something half a level back, etc. Even that very first section with the bats killed me a few times because enemies from way up high would suddenly appear next to me out of nowhere.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So I was was brushing up on my Japanese vocab and I happened to learn that "enbaku (エンバク)" is the JP word for oatmeal. No kidding.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 20, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I watched the Rodea gameplay and felt sad knowing that if I wanted to try it out now I'd have to settle for that dogshit version. How unfortunate.

I don't think it's actually hard to find. Every copy is a first-print copy; there are plenty still on shelves and I'd be shocked if they even do a second run.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 29, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Final Fight is a cool game that deserved better sequels. Even Golden Axe fared better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rodyle posted:

It's no Streets of Rage though.

Sure and that's kinda my point... Final Fight never really got the chance to make the leap that SOR did from SOR1 to SOR2, or that Double Dragon did from game to game and port to port, etc - it was one cool arcade game then a bunch of second-string blah made by other people while the main dudes did Street Fighter 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 5, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shuffle really is a godawful game that'd make for a "good" brawl but the load times might be a dealbreaker, at least for a live event.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Like, Streets is fine and everything? But I'm for one really happy that Capcom at least did more stuff with it's beat em' up franchise, and there's something goofy/funny/entertaining about all of them.

FF
FF2
FF3
Final Fight Revenge
Mighty Final Fight
Final Fight Streetwise (yeah, there's parts I like/enjoy)
Final Fight One
Guy, Cody, Hugo, Sodom, Poison and Rolento in Street Fighter games
Haggar in Marvel

Instead of Sega seemingly being embarrassed by Streets of Rage's existence for some reason, cancelling 3 reboots of it, having the awesome Streets of Rage fan remake get taken down, and not putting a single character or stage of SoR in the Sonic All-Stars Racing franchise.

I agree with all of this - I like that Capcom keeps propping up Final Fight in their own way, even when the games suck, and I seriously don't get why Sega rarely does the same for SOR - but I wasn't really going for a FF vs SOR argument, my point was that it sucks that the original arcade game never got a good, authentic followup (the SNES sequels aren't bad or anything but they're totally forgettable) and it probably never will. Capcom was cranking out arcade brawlers at one point, too, so I wonder why they never made a second arcade game.

Golden Axe went down a very similar path - an arcade original with a popular port that got followed up with by-the-numbers console-exclusive blandness and a bunch of mediocre spinoffs, including a Saturn fighting game and an awful western reboot - but it did at least get a true arcade followup in Revenge of Death Adder.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised noone ever attempted a fully-3D Double Dragon game.
I agr

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Matt, Volume #98765: you probably already know about this, seeing as you like both licensed garbage and weird second-string partner games to big console releases, but you should totally check out Spiderman Web of Shadows for DS - it's by the same team that made Shinobi 3DS and Volgarr the Viking and it's a 2.5D metroidvania with DMC-inspired combat, years before Guacamelee. (The same studio also did Shattered Dimensions DS which I haven't played but I gather it's pretty much the same thing.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Omikron: The Nomad Soul full LP. It's what he would have wanted.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rodyle posted:

I would be down for Omikron but it's likely too much work to boot on a modern PC, as we'll see onGB UPF this week when Brad tries to install and run it on stream.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wasn't someone else laughing about Liam pushing dumb Vita polls in a recent video?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CJacobs posted:

It is possible for it to happen, like the whole reason Dark Souls got a PC version is because people were really vocal about how much they wanted it- which in turn led to Dark Souls 2 getting a PC version and maybe even 3 when it comes out. But it's probably not possible for the Vita, which was basically dead on arrival

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls sold more copies than Sony has Vitas, so that probably helped a little.

The other thing to remember is, Phase 1 of this plan was "let's make a list of dream games that might feasibly be ported to Vita and form a campaign to push for them". He's now moved onto Phase 2 which is "okay pretty much every game/dev/publisher on that list is not going to happen but I scraped the bottom of the barrel and found some stuff, no I can't say what it is, get hype~"

HGH posted:

Enough people bitched that they made Gravity Rush physical in NA, and that's just as niche considering it's a Vita game, so it's not that impossible as long as it's small scale.

That was years ago, back when the Vita wasn't quite dead and was merely in the process of dying.

There is still a market for boutique, made-to-order physical releases for indie games thanks to outfits like Limited Run Games but that's still only catering to a niche within a niche and is essentially a vanity project.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TriffTshngo posted:

jesus loving christ liam I knew the kid had no goddamn standards but that's crossing at least four or five lines.

To be fair, I think he's just parroting the opinions of people he read online and he doesn't really know anything about the game itself.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blockhouse posted:

MN9 looks like garbage and Inafune is a hack who has somehow convinced people he's a Miyamoto-level genius mastermind

Meanwhile the actual father of Mega Man is languishing in obscurity somewhere

I'm not defending Inafune here but the whole "Inafune didn't actually create MM!" isn't really the gotcha everyone thinks it is.

cmykjester posted:

and Shantae which I still don't think is anywhere near done

Every KS game misses its projected release window and so does every Shantae game so this isn't really an omen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rodyle posted:

Wait what the gently caress is Odalius: The Dark Call

It's a 2D action/adventure from the makers of Oniken - not quite a metroidvania, closer to something like Demon's Crest.

They just announced a console port a day or so ago, or more specifically, they're in the process of porting the game to Unity so they can bring it to consoles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheRealestMatt posted:

I guess.

Edit: Sorry if I'm cranky, but yeah, yesterday got a few thousand dollars stolen from my account, which is why I couldn't be on the podcast yesterday as I had to go to bank to sort it all out, not that anyone probably missed me.

Wow, that blows. I hope the bank doesn't gently caress you around.

I don't want to pry but do you have any indication of who did it or how it happened? Like, do you have any reason to think people specifically targeted you or was it just bad luck? I'd hate to think people would go as far as stealing your loving money because they didn't enjoy some video or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So the folks in Japan heard that Team Four Star's channel was (temporarily) taken down and made this in honor of them, I'm sure.

Note that there's a little rumble pack in the base so you can make Vegeta "tremble with the humilation of defeat":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_Amo5T0DE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Oxyclean posted:

Retribution?

I don't get how Nintendo puts out one or more Kirby games every year and all Metroid gets in like 5 years is a spinoff noone asked for. I get that Japan is apparently not crazy for Metroid, but do Kirby games seriously sell well anymore? I feel like I never hear anyone actually talk about them anymore.

I wonder if there are more Yoshi games then Metroid games at this point.

Kirby games sell consistently well, particulalrly in Japan, and there's also a crazy huge Japanese merch machine for Kirby that necessitates regular games.

Tae posted:

Kirby Games do extremely well. One of the recent games sold over a million.

Here's the truth: Megaman and Metroid don't sell for poo poo, that's the main reason why there's no more games. Not just in Japan. Everywhere.

Metroid games sold fine (until Other M), they just cost more to make than most other Nintendo franchises that sell the same amount, many of which are developed by the same team that makes Metroid games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RareAcumen posted:

Did any Metal Slug game ever get made like it wasn't on an arcade machine? More than one hit kills, no lives system, etc.

All the numbered games (1 through 7 plus X and XX) are arcade-style games but the earlier handheld games (the two Neo-Geo Pocket games, the GBA game) have lifebars and non-linear elements.

There's also a 3D Metal Slug game for PS2 that was only released in Japan and bought by noone.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ApeHawk posted:

Hell, just him making a patreon for his flophouse streams would set him for a second life.

Imagine all the people who endlessly bitch at them for playing games wrong or whatever, then imagine how much worse they're going to get when they think their $10/year entitles them to make demands and have their every demand catered to.

Crowdfunding is not for everyone - if you're someone who likes to work to your own timetable and your own tastes and/or you're sensitive to negative feedback, crowdfunding is not for you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Matt, I don't know how serious you are about Treasure Week but here's some quick info you might find useful:

-Treasure made a few non-handheld fighting games: there's a 4-player Yu Yu Hakusho games for Megadrive, a 4-player Power Stone-ish game with paper-doodle characters for PSX called Rakugaki Showtime, as well as one of several Bleach games for Wii (I forget the name but it was a 3D Naruto-style game). They even made a Tiny Toons fighting game for PS2 using the Rakugaki systems that was completed but never released, but the ISO's out there and fully playable.

-Gunstar Heroes has unlimited continues and takes about an hour to clear; having two players makes certain sections easier but it doesn't make a huge difference as far as time is concerned. Normal difficulty should be perfectly doable without too many hurdles, but if you want to see the bosses in their entirety you have to play expert mode. (You can't see all seven forms of Seven Force in normal, for example.)

-Guardian Heroes XBLA has two different modes: the normal mode which plays like it did on Saturn and a remix mode that rebalances all the characters and enemy AI and adds lots of modern systems like airdashes and A-B-C combos (as well as dialogue skipping). I much prefer the remix mode but the AI can be pretty ruthless, so if you decide to play it blind you definitely shouldn't go above default difficulty. I wanna say it'll take under an hour to play a full game but there are quite a few branching paths that can lengthen the game or just make it harder so it's hard to really guess how long a blind clear might take.

It also has a 12-player versus mode that lets you play as every character/enemy in the game and has an insane Smash-esque level of customisation, but you have to unlock all the characters by meeting and/or killing them in the main game so it'll take some work to build up the roster.

-The original Sin & Punishment is pretty long for an arcade-ish game (an hour if you're good, quite a bit longer if you're not), pretty tough and has limited continues, so it'll definitely take some practice; again, boss patterns and other elements change on harder difficulties. There is a co-op option but it just lets one person move and one person aim/shoot. (S&P2 has unlimited continues and saves after every stage but it's even longer, like 3.5 hours if you have a decent grasp of the game. Co-op doesn't add a second player, just a second reticule.)

-Mischief Makers is definitely not something you'll beat in a single playthrough - it's not as arcadey as their other sidescrollers and there are more story elements and so on, so it'd probably take about as long as Astro Boy did.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 23, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The roster's fine for what it is, the broader problem is that it's a Pokemon game with a tiny roster, even including assists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dias posted:

Woolie is right.

He used the word "martyr" to describe Noel Brown, let's not kid ourselves here.