Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Can we at least be glad that no one is calling for a return to pre-decimalised currency? Even the Americans aren't that stupid.

No point, we're going back to pre-currency barter so fast there'll be no chance to use it.

Mentioning Americans - you know who else has dark blue passports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

North Korea, Somalia, and South Sudan?

With them and the US we'll be part of a really great club.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

quote:

The archbishop of York said the decision to omit “Easter” from the egg hunt was “tantamount to spitting on the grave of [John] Cadbury” – the chocolate company’s founder.

John Cadbury was a Quaker, he very likely didn't even celebrate Easter, the Archbishop of York is an idiot.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Indeed.

York Minster is only half a mile from the largest Meeting House in the UK, as well, so it's not like he would've been hard pressed to find one to ask about this non-issue.
Shocking no one the Archbishop of York displays a complete ignorance of any variety of religion that is not his own.

forkboy84 posted:

So it'll be like what my mam had to do during the Tattie Holidays as a kid then. If it takes us back to the very early 1960s, pretty sure 51% of the country will get behind it.
We had this when I was in primary (70s), don't think any of us kids actually picked tatties during it though.

Pissflaps posted:

I don't eat nestle products.
I haven't for over 20 years.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^ We had tattie fields nearby (this was in East Lothian) but by then no real need for child labour I guess. There was a bothy outside the village where gangs of labourers would stay when they were needed.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

TomViolence posted:

The world we live in is poo poo imo, and we should demand better.

Proposal to start a Campaign for Real National Journalism
- the acronym CaRNaJ is a clue to how I suggest we deal with failed journos (and their friends).

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a bloody crying shame if ever there was one: https://www.ft.com/content/adb040ce-1959-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

A major selloff could push house prices down quickly.

This line (emphasis added obv.) manages to expose the governments real agenda with just one word. - "As the new tax year dawns on Thursday, the government will begin its phased withdrawal of higher-rate tax relief on mortgage interest for buy-to-let, one of a series of measures designed to curb the growth of the amateur landlord market."

TinTower posted:

Well, you can't read Mein Kampf most times. Hitler's skill at writing was matched in awfulness only by his skill at art.
My mother gave me a facsimile copy of the 1940 satire Mein Rant for Christmas, it's much more readable.

R. F. Patterson* versifying Hitler posted:

Vol. 1 Part XII. First Stage of Nazis

Just here I don't propose to retail
Our ideology in detail,
I shall require another ream
Of paper for so grand a theme.

Our movement's great foundation-stone
Is force, but is not force alone;
A Thug who's resolute can stifle
A cowardly fellow with a rifle.

Our movement therefore fosters hate
'Gainst other parties in the state,
For hatred's better far at striking
A deadly blow than mere disliking.

*Pictures by W. Heath Robinson

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

I'm not sure that actually was Gideon's goal, but replacing amateurs with corporate landlords would probably be a good thing on the whole. As a rather better writer than me once put it:
There is great variation in what the slum-dwellers say about their landlords. I found — one might expect it, perhaps — that the small landlords are usually the worst. It goes against the grain to say this, but one can see why it should be so. Ideally, the worst type of slum landlord is a fat wicked man, preferably a bishop, who is drawing an immense income from extortionate rents. Actually, it is a poor old woman who has invested her life’s savings in three slum houses, inhabits one of them, and tries to live on the rent of the other two — never, in consequence, having any money for repairs.

I wasn't suggesting the government cares at all about tenants, more that landlordism was being kept for the 'right sort'.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Regardless, more stuff about OUR ROCK, THE MOST IMPORTANT AND BEST ROCK EVER:

That poo poo's tacky as gently caress, when I worked there they used to arrange the spotlights so that from Spain the rock looked like a skull.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Personally I'd rather they finished the job in the 90s rather than impose sanctions.

Hahahaha "finished", brilliant. Thanks for that, needed a laugh.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand the joke.

This does not surprise me.
These things never finish - unless you are proposing Total Terrestrial Genocide (to paraphrase Thanos) that is.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm with you. I meant specifically finish the job of bring down Sadam Hussain's regime.

What makes you sure that that timeline would be better? Might be worse.
Either way, this reality is the one we have to deal with here and now and hypothetical pasts wont help. e:Especially any that frame conflict as good.

JFairfax posted:

I think we all know pissflaps doesnt like antagonistic minorities

I thought he was one (in a UKMT context).

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 14, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Well, the 500,000 children apparently killed by sanctions brought against that regime following the first gulf war would presumably have survived?

Without massive advances in Multiverse observation technology we'll never know.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

We know they wouldn't die as a result of sanctions surely?

In any world without those specific sanctions, yes. Plenty of other possibilities.
E: How about if we hadn't finished the job, and also didn't impose sanctions?

Namtab posted:

There's no such thing as the multiverse
But you believe in anime.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 15, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What do you mean?

:confused:
Okay, maybe finishing the job meant a longer, harder, bloodier fight and some, all or more died then.
Or, we finished the job smartish and quickly but mishandled whatever replacement was put in place leading to local unrest and violence that also might kill them.
Or,

EmptyVessel posted:

E: How about if we hadn't finished the job, and also didn't impose sanctions?
Or,

E2:

Namtab posted:

Crunchyroll teaches us all that anime is real.
I may play with my food, I rarely look to it for life lessons.

Namtab posted:

E: just think we could have created a power vacuum in iraq 2 decades ago instead, what a wasted opportunity
Zigackly!

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 15, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The Tory party aren't a joke. They're loving the country and killing people unopposed.

They're a Killing Joke. Just like in the 80s.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

kapparomeo posted:

In the progressive and inclusive internationalist spirit of diversity and multiculturalism I would like the thread to join me in celebrating these British all communities, regardless of colour or religion, maintaining their minority ethnic culture against an oppressive assimilationist metropole.

You mistyped some of that. I fixed it for you in an inclusive way.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

British culture would have to exist before it could be defended against an oppressive majority

Penicillin was originally a British culture. (Also related to bread chat.)

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Oh Good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1QmTkGI-xE

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

jabby posted:

For anyone who still watches terrestrial TV, 'Confessions of a Junior Doctor' is a series starting on Channel 4 tonight and it's basically one long party political broadcast for Labour.

What did you make of/were you aware of the recent Radio 4 series 'Why Become A Doctor?'?

I caught bits of the second one in passing and felt the same (though I'm definitely biased). Any qualified opinion on whether it's worth listening to in full?

E: 1184 BC Illium falls to the Greeks (depending on who you believe), just another part of the eternal war.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 19, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

jBrereton posted:

The only time a "rigged system" should be brought up in UK politics is if the candidates are holding a debate on the Cutty Sark. Otherwise it sounds like something you've chored off an American, which it is.

Eh, "rig (n.) "a trick, swindle, scheme" (1775), earlier "sport, banter, ridicule" (1725), of unknown origin."
source
So that would be a pre-Independence American AKA British colonist then?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Yes, my child?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Something I thought was interesting and hopefully part of a positive trend.

According to a spokesperson from the Electoral Commission the 24 hours after May announced the snap election had over 150,000 people register to vote. This is the largest amount in a single day ever. About 75% of new registrations were under 34 and of these about 58,000 (so a bit over half) were under 25.

While the numbers aren't huge this does suggest that there might be less widespread ennui about the election than some are claiming. The majority being younger voters is a nice change that I hope keeps going.

I've not been able to find anything about this online anywhere (but may just be a bad searcher) so no idea if this surge is continuing. The figures are from last nights The World Tonight - interview starts about 18 minutes in.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Angepain posted:

Maybe. On the other hand, a snap rush election would probably lead to a bit more panic-registration from people who would have gotten around to it at some point if they knew well in advance, and also maybe younger people would be more likely to have moved around more and so need to register again. This is just me guessing, though.

Fair point. There is over a month left to register for this election but the announcement may have been a good reminder like you say. This is why I wondered if the trend had continued.

I'm just pleased that younger voters are registering since back in the day I couldn't understand why some of my peers were too apathetic to vote against Thatcher. Was idly wondering if we could repurpose the old chant to "May! May! May! Out! Out! Out!"

More news that might help voters decisions - President of European parliament says "“If the UK, after the election, wants to withdraw [article 50], then the procedure is very clear. If the UK wanted to stay, everybody would be in favour. I would be very happy.” So Article 50 not irreversible and they'd welcome a new governments new position.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Let's get a day off for Brunel, Cromwell and Attlee (make them saints while we're at it).

Making Cromwell a Catholic saint could solve the world's energy needs once all his scattered bits started revolving furiously.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Most of the Popes are buried in lead coffins, so you could power Europe just by dumping them in water when they become incandescent.

Presumably this would only work with Pope Innocent X onwards (Popes before him be all Crom-who?) but we might have something here.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

This poo poo is loving medieval in it's hatefulness and misogyny.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

That's distinctly unfair to the middle ages. In that period, charity was dispensed on the basis of personal need, not restricted by arbitrary cut offs.

So the middle ages operated a "to each according to their need" policy? Surprised that doesn't get mentioned more often round here.
I was more hosed off at the implicit position that any third child (of a poor woman) will be treated as worthless to society unless the product of rape or an abusive relationship, and only then if the mother can convince the prejudiced powers that be that she really, really did suffer and is worthy. Also, can you imagine the stigma hell such a "rape baby" child could go through in later life?

All this mugwump talk and no mention of Bill Burroughs (apart from the Bomb The Bass track posted)? smdh Boris might have been thinking* of the joke that a mugwump is a person sitting on the fence, with his mug on one side and his wump on the other.
*No thought went into his word vomit.

RIP Britsh comic maestro Leo Baxendale.

This

Breath Ray posted:

Lets not make light of mental illness
is a great response to

forkboy84 posted:

But the BBC has a left wing bias. :jerkbag:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

Thank you. Here is the thing I had in mind:
:words: about rural depression

You missed the bit where I quoted you out of context.

Re: rural depression - pretty sure farmers are still in the top 3 or 4 professions for suicide which probably has some bearing here. Urban farmers aren't much of a thing.

Pochoclo posted:

Guillotine voting olds and non-voting youngs, IMO

Oh don't be like that - I've been voting against the Tories for decades, even protested against the Falklands Conflict. Don't know a single Tory voter among my peers either. Why does your generation not give a poo poo?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LemonyTang posted:

Young people don't vote because they have been stiffed in every election they've been aware of or participated in. They may give a poo poo, they just don't expect the government to do anything about it. Even if you disagree with their conclusion, that's the belief.

How the gently caress do you think we felt when Thatcher kept getting back in? Not looking forward to that little piece of nostalgia becoming relevant again.
If not getting what you want instantly renders you all inert then we are going to be treble hosed if when the whole poo poo house goes up in flames post-Brexit.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LemonyTang posted:

I've voted in every election I've been old enough for. Also the point is these people never vote, it's not 'not getting what they want', it's an absolute belief that nothing is being offered that they do want, and that nothing will change from the outcome anyway.

How about they start looking for things being offered that they don't want, or think might be socially negative, and voting against those? If they can't see any then they are either extremely sheltered/wilfully ignorant or they are benefiting from all the shite and part of the problem.
Only being motivated to action when it's blatantly to your personal profit is not a good look.
To be clear, I'm not saying it's a new look either; when I was a student in the mid-80s the uni decided to cost-cut and closed down the very good nursery/creche that had given students and staff with young children somewhere their kids could be looked after and play together, could we get the student body to even be interested in protesting this? Not a chance. However try and put the (already stupidly subsidised) price of a pint up slightly in the unions and you couldn't move for outraged little shits.
Despised the solely self-indulgent position then and can't see that changing anytime soon, don't care how old/young they are.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

JFairfax posted:

erm unless you have them chained together I think they might use the opportunity to escape

Anecdot: This is nonsense bollox. Way back in the 80s I worked on an archaeological project in coastal Cumbria, one of our volunteers was a screw from Haverigg (he was a very nice guy who had had to choose between that, the MOD at Eskmeals or WindscaleSellafield if he wanted local work) he asked for permission to bring a handful of 'trusties' to work with us and the prison let him. We ended up with about 5 guys who were so drat happy to be outside and meeting new people even if they were mostly pushing wheelbarrows. No escapes were attempted. Our boss wanted to give them something for all their work but was told that wasn't allowed so he gave them presents of tins of tobacco instead which went down really well.

Also :tinfoil: I'm currently calling around loads of breakers yards trying to find a bit for my old van, one listing gave a national 0800 number - I called it and got a recorded message thanking me for my vote in a Daily Mail poll... What the hell did I just vote for? And is this how they get all their 'results'?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Zephro posted:

This is your periodic reminder that Brexit is really happening, that the chances of crashing out of the EU with no transitional deal at all are quite high, and that this is a foreign policy fuckup of epic proportions that will impoverish everyone in the country for the rest of their lives. If you're young and unattached and in a position to leave this country for somewhere less self-harming, you should do so as soon as you can and in any case before 2019.

And if you are not well off enough to gently caress off and leave the rest of us to it, take learnincurve's advice and learn how to produce at least some of your own food*. It's not hard and can be fun. NotJustANumber99's mate baffles me - why even apply for an allotment if you know nothing of growing things and apparently are incapable of finding out what is easy to grow for a beginner? Presumably he'd never heard of this new fangled thing called the internet, loads of info right there in your hand.

Or develop useful skills to trade. Black market barter will boom.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

sassassin posted:

I built a deck over 80% of my garden because I hate all the things that were growing out there.

It's okay, they hate you too.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

In anarchist circles it's preferably called counter-economics.

But that loses the alliterative Bs.

We never called it gently caress all we just did it. Also, 'counter-economics' is a theory term not a practical label - "Hey, can I counter-economically exchange this rug for those beans?" Not feeling it.

E: Wiki tells me the term was defined as "The Counter-Economy is the sum of all non-aggressive Human Action which is forbidden by the State." by it's coiner which is a little wider than me giving you some apples for your beetroots (other exchanges are possible).

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 28, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Counter-economic commerce?

You wouldn't say "Hey, can I exchange this rug for those beans over the black market?" either, you'd say can I swap you or trade you or switch you or something.

This is where the :anarchists:/:ancap: split over the term really begins.

One might call the land monopolist demanding rent to be aggressive, but the squat trading between themselves without declaring taxable income in kind to be non-aggressive. The other might call the child agreeing to work for the mine owner to be non-aggressive, and be huge wankers.

I might not have been totally serious there. But I don't think you need to introduce that detailed a label to do it or show the value in doing it.

Also from further into that Wiki entry:

"Voluntary practices of counter-economics include:
Arms trafficking
Bartering and alternative currency use
Being an illegal immigrant or hiring illegal immigrants
Drug trafficking
Mutual credit
Smuggling
Subsistence farming
Tax evasion
Prostitution"

Wait, arms trafficking is non-aggressive? I'm seeing the split. Something something self-defense I guess?

e: just noticed that list is alphabetical apart from Prostitution* which they sneak in at the end there.

*e2: this reminds me, just finished Cosey Fanni Tutti's autobiography, if you are at interested in the end of British 70s/80s counter-culture that produced Throbbing Gristle and industrial, or her singular approach to making art through pornography it's an excellent read.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 29, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The act itself is non-aggressive, even if what the recipient does with it isn't.

The split falls on whether you're trafficking arms to communist guerillas in a state taken over by a CIA right-wing puppet or uMkhonto weSizwe; or trafficking arms to ISIS or Thomas Mair.

e: Or even the super-amoral trafficking arms to people who announce in advance that they're going to kill you immediately after, which I'm sure someone like Rothbard has argued is good.

Yeah, I knew a couple of people involved in arms. They were pretty hosed up, not sure these niceties would register to be honest.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

tbf the official non-counter tax paying arms trade will sell to any set of bastards if they serve national interests in some perverse way so maybe that's the more accurate counter.

Bastards all the way down. Strikes me that the only way to play that game as counter would be to amass so much firepower that you could decisively end all opposition in one go, otherwise you are simply perpetuating strife and suffering not negating it.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And feed us, the remeating leftovers.

Some applesauce and parsnips for your longpig perhaps? :discourse:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Had to share this:
A complete “s--t show”
Rich millennials paid thousands for Ja Rule's Fyre Fest and are now stranded on an island in disaster-relief tents

It's not Britain but look, the elites can't even camp let alone grow anything, they're hosed eventually.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Rich white people spending thousands to travel to a safe, exciting, fun country just to be stuck in camps in terrible conditions, then forcefully sent back to where they came from?

Its a work of artistic genius.

That's so good I might have to steal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

TheRat posted:

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a (popular) cult that actually self-identified as a cult?

Rajneesh?

Prince John posted:

This is pretty neat - an ex-homeless person has raised money to kit out a travelling bus to provide a safe space and permanent address for rough sleepers.

There's a short video about it on the Beeb here.

That's indeed excellent stuff. If only Thatcher hadn't made it one of her missions to stamp out the New Age Traveller culture (or Medieval Brigands if you're a Tory) in the 80s, maybe we'd have more of this going on. Lots of them ended up homeless after the crackdown of course.

nothing to seehere posted:

Bill Nyes recent Netflix series has quite a few glaring history errors in it, which is proof that science isn't everything (seriously wikipedia will tell you stonehenge wasn't built by celtic druids, there's no excuse.)

Really? Fuckin' hell. That's not a glaring error that's straight up unreconstructed Victorian antiquarianism. No excuse for that to appear in a supposed 'Science Guy's programme.

• Locked thread