Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Do you even charge bro?

Axe mode isn't just for your ultimate attack. Soon even you can do this to a tempered elder dragon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomBombadilKnow/status/965716309181804544/

You're not using phials - which aren't only for blowing on a single SAED - so that's a lot of axe damage you're ignoring in that video by using the basic T > T loop.

Use the O > O > T loop to spend phials in axe mode, where the two O attacks are EDs (element discharges) that do extra phial damage and the T cancels out of the ED sequence so you don't blow all the phials on the SAED you'll get with a third O. You can still do a SAED when you're down to one phial or the monster is moving away or you want to see the pretty lights by doing the full O > O > O sequence at any point.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there anything I can do to avoid the poison in Rotten Vale? I spent about 20 potions just healing through the Great Girros fight.

In addition to what's been said: kill the Hornetaurs, those annoying black beetles, and make their chest armor. It too has the Effluvium Expert skill that lets you ignore the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

homeless snail posted:

The thing that elderseal seems to do is take elders out of their super powered state. So like when Kirin get super armor, or Teostra is ready to supernova, or Vaal is full of fart gas, or Xeno's arms are buff, hitting them with enough elderseal brings them out of that state before they can do their ultimate attack. Problem is it doesn't seem to prevent them from entering that state in the first place, it only works if they're already in it and when Daora is charged up its in the air and you aren't going to be hitting it. So poison is a lot better in that case

Also, all of those monsters drop dragon pods anyway and those seem to do as much or more elderseal than elderseal weapons so idk don't worry about it

So is it better to save the dragon pods till they enter/are about to enter the super state or does using the pod delay getting to the super state?

The game generally gives you new elemental gear right before you need it, so I took my shiny new low raw/decent dragon element weapon with low elderseal to the first Kirin fight. I killed it with 5 mins left because I wasn't doing much damage, turns out Kirin has 1 star weakness to dragon. Looking forward to going back with a high pure raw or high raw plus poison charge blade - Dear Lutemis has been my favorite weapon so far at HR 7 or so onwards, it poisons everything and has goof damage plus power phials to KO with.

Double carted for the first time in that fight, wasn't used to looking at the ground for warning but also because it turns out a shieldspire palico will break off after taunting and run right up next to you as you put in space to sharpen or heal. Kirin will then happily target the two of you.

Unrelated, how does the red damage portion of your health bar work? I know some of the damage you take immediately shortens your health, but does a fraction of every hit show up as red damage that then regenerates over time? Do you cart if only red health is left? I think the latter is true because I carted to Odogaron from being bled when having a lot of red health and little green health left - the bleed probably ate up the remaining green, carting me almost immediately.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Xarbala posted:

It operates on fighting game rules, the red health is gone but can be regenerated with time, or instantly healed with Jerky (which activates with a single bite, much faster than potions). Jerky incidentally also cures bleeding. So does crouching for three seconds with your weapon sheathed.

Interesting, thanks. It was only after 40 hours or so I noticed that all damage isn't red - I'd assumed that red was the damage done by the last attack. But some attacks both shortened your bar and left you some red, easiest to notice when hit once at full health. I knew about jerky, but it's potentially even more useful now I understand how damage and health work.

Does the proportion of red damage to instant, non-regen damage change based on attack or monster? I.e., are there monsters where having jerky is more useful even if you ignore its bleed healing, because they tend to do a higher proportion of red damage that can be quickly healed?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks to those pointing out the capture rewards list includes the carves list. Beating up Anjies face in hunts wasn't dropping fangs but they're coming through in captures though listed under carves.

Some items will only show up when you use a token of some sort, though there too a capture probably gets you more. I've had these show up reliably every time I've used the token. For eg, the water sac is a token-only drop, but seems guaranteed when it is used

v1ld fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 21, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Diablos was my first triple cart, though much of the second and third cart was finally learning how to use CB guard points. The second try being a no-cart kill where I felt in control 15 mins in has been the high point of the game so far, mainly because it was so fun figuring out what to do before the next try.

It wasn't the incoming damage - I had Divine Blessing 3 active, being a new opponent - it was the stuns. Switching to Stun Resistance 3, Divine Blessing 3 solved the cart problem. Switching to a paralysis weapon (Girros) with good raw damage and impact phials meant Diablos got paralyzed 3 times in addition to the 4-5 KOs from impact damage, great openings for dishing out large damage with the CB. Also learned that Charge Blades apply status very well and I like status+impact more than elemental for the KOs, since I'm not good at countering and keeping up the damage.

Another high point from MP: flash podding a Rathalos that flew up to escape the dam burst flood and watching it get washed away after crash landing on its face.

MH first timer, having a great time learning the stuff you can do in this game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Edit: I seem to have overwritten my earlier post, so ignore this.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 24, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

One neat synergy with the Diablos CB is that the phial explosions can't crit and are purely based on your raw attack power. So the Diablos CB has the strongest phial explosions by far and that part of the weapon is totally unaffected by the negative affinity. It pigeonholes you into a SAED-dump playstyle if you want to be "optimal" (not like you really need to though) but it's super strong.

I know phials can't crit but had overlooked their damage being based on raw. That's really useful to know since I use phials a lot - not just in SAED dumps, the O > O > T axe loop seems better when the monster is immobilized though I haven't seen numbers comparing the loop to an SAED dump for phial use efficiency. Regardless, bolstering phial damage is great.

I think I'm going to pass on Dragon weapons and rely on raw damage CBs possibly with poison instead (not least because a Zorah gem is gated behind the only unfun mission in the game so far).

Thanks for the HBG info.

Xarbala posted:

Note that this involves getting right up in a monster's face so it can hardly be called a "ranged" fighting style. It's closer to Lance or Gunlance though with less mobility than Lance and a little more fine control over where you land your hits.

Thanks for the write up, this bit is particularly interesting. One reason I want to play ranged is to better learn monster patterns from a distance - I miss a lot up close and personal.

Any suggestions on a good medium to long distance weapon or build? I prefer weapons with bursty, intermittent damage where I'm positioning or waiting on an opening, or having to build up to the burst like with the CB.

Your Computer posted:

have any of you ever had a legiana corpse drop on your head in the middle of a fight?

Just realized how well this Legiana's choice of death location fits with the Rotten Vale's reason for existence and Odogaron's description as a carrion eater. The lore and world building in this game is subtle and well done with some deep consistency even if it's not in your face all the time.

Coral Highlands gives off strong Nausicaa vibes visually and seeing that flying caterpillar in the higher reaches really nailed that feeling. But then you discover its reliance on the Rotten Vale and that's strongly reminiscent of the crystallised old world slowly coming back to life in Nausicaa. Maybe I'm reaching, but the feel is strong in the Highlands.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 24, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If it's between Attack3 and Artillery3, go with Artillery. Capacity Up, the skill that gives you another phial to unload, could also be nice though, combined with Artillery thatd be a 1.45x damage modifier on your SuperAED

Agree with the skill selection for CB, Capacity Boost with Artillery 3 is CB love

Pure phial damage goes up 56%: 20% more phials (6 instead of 5, Capacity Boost) at 30% more damage each (Artillery 3) = 1.2 * 1.3 = 1.56. You said SAED damage though and I don't know how overall SAED damage is calculated. Would love to know how it compares to individual EDs.

I'd be surprised if 1 SAED with 5 filled phials is the same damage as 5 individual EDs. It's much easier to get the SAED off on even a mobile target - given that huge vertical slash finisher that drags even flying wyverns down to the ground - than spending each phial on its own via an ED right now. If they made 1 SAED = 5 * ED even ignoring the damage from the 1 vs 5 axe hits, that's pretty insane given how quickly you can get to an SAED.

AttackBacon posted:

Been messing around with a Heroics set since I was trying to figure out a good fashion hunting setup for the Diablos CB. It's pretty amusing, when Heroics triggers I've got around 1400 attack and over 500 defense.

This is awesome. Heroics seems like the Red Tearstone Ring in Dark Souls - way better damage if you're good though to survive at 35% health (20% health in DS, I think).

I've been surprised that no speedruns use it. Probably because each run is just a single monster in MHW, pure DPS checks. And there's more randomness in MHW, a good thing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Really a bit of a shame they didn't include the feature from Generations where guard points showed a little particle effect. It made it so much easier to figure out when you were actually guard pointing.

Good advice. You can tell you pulled off the Axe Switch guard point in World because you end up in Sword mode ready to do an SAED if you so choose instead of going gently caress gently caress gently caress if you miss it since you're stuck in horribly immobile axe mode. Being in Sword Mode is the reward and indicator.

I learnt on the barrel, but Diablos is where I was first forced to use it in practice. Doing it for any attack anytime wouldn't be hard if you knew all the tells since it's such an immediate, reflex counter unlike the beautifully named Foresight Slash. I don't know most tells sadly, so I'll probably go for evade skills.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Does anything else cause a CB to be auto sheathed other than running? It's set to manual sheathing but I still occasionally find myself waiting for the double slash charge sound and look to see it's been sheathed.

Your Computer posted:

also the scoutfly thing happened again and I got it on tape this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYne_apMPo

Annoying you can't turn off the camera control being taken from you and that 180 turn in your video is a particularly neck wrenching one.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Magus42 posted:

Just hitting R1 or L3, as far as I know.

Yeah, I thought so - thanks for confirming. I'm probably hitting L3 reflexively even after I disabled R1 to run long ago.

Also, holy poo poo those drop %s from the new books. I weep for all those optional missions I did. Especially SoS missions, argh. Investigations SoS filter is now the only one that matters, which is stupid. Even a small message that farming without Gold Investigation rewards is the difference between an average 100 kills to get a gem/ruby vs 6-8 kills would've been good to have.

I killed that dual katana skeleton 80+ times in Pure Black Tendency in Demon's Souls to get a Pure Bladestone, but that was about the only 1 or 2% drop in the entire game. And that run was a minute or two, tops.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just tried charge blade for the first time. After looking back and forth between the game and the weapon guide on my phone while muttering 'what the gently caress' at the controls, I eventually got it together and pulled off consistent SAEDs. Now I have never shot up heroin in my life but I imagine it feels very similar to landing a SAED right on the monster's nose.

Yeah, SAEDs feel nice. A well-timed Condensed Element Slash to charge up the blade feels good too because it's got such a long wind-up (and I'm still not very good at recognizing openings). The CB flow feels great when it's all coming together and you're going smoothly from explosions to the phial fill to the charge and then back to explosions.

This video was very useful, he's very smooth and efficient at the CB flow, like delaying the phial fill to improve position until it's chainable with the shield/sword charge and other such sequences. Improved my stuttery flow no end watching how he chains moves even though he's not talking about it in the video.

I'm charging up the sword more often for eg since I'll wait now if it seems I'll get an opening to charge the phials and go directly into the condensed slash instead of treating them as distinct parts of the flow. Then again, I'm new to Monster Hunter and this is probably old hat to experienced players.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

Just the shield. Shield charge gives you access to the SAED and increases your axe damage by...20% or something like that. Also gives you better blocking/guard pointing plus a phial explosion on guard point. Sword charge gives you mind's eye, causes a mini phial explosion on every sword hit, and prevents overcharge bouncing (so you can stay in sword mode indefinitely as long as it's charged and you don't have to charge phials). Don't think sword charge actually boosts sword mode damage aside from the phial explosions, but I'd have to check.

According to this old Reddit post, charged sword doesn't add anything to axe damage, including SAEDs. It adds a small bit of phial damage in sword mode as you said. The condensed slash to charge the sword has very good damage though, which is why I bother doing it now.

Health Boost 3 seems really powerful. I switched to it while doing 6 and 7* quests and the survivability increase is great. There's a good Reddit post showing the reason why.

Nergigante was not hard even the first time I fought it solo. I kept waiting for the mega dive attack and then realized I'd been hit by a couple and had just kept on trucking since it didn't even do half my health bar. This is at a defense of 336 in my ugly, low-rarity clown suit at HR13. But every point in defense improves the value of that HP bar linearly so adding 100 HP from food and skills is a large boost to survivability.

I was using Divine Blessing 3, but am going to drop that once I wrap up all these elders and can actually plan a decent CB set with HB3 in it. If Divine Blessing procs 30% of the time as it supposedly did in the old games, that is still .3 * .5 = 15% more average damage reduction. Increasing DR is harder once your defense is high, but you have no control over when DB kicks in. Nice if it halves the big attacks, but not so useful if it doesn't. HB3 is a better choice for my play style - I hope there're some non ugly sets I can build with it and the CB skills.

Edit: Your posts pushing alternate skill usage and play styles are very useful to me as a new player.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 10, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Anyone know what kind of bonus the kirin and legiana sets give? Is it improved odds for rewards or more rewards?

I used the Legiana set bonus briefly and i don't recall it giving extra rewards. I assumed it ups the quality of the reward.

To the person going 40+ hunts without a Nergigante Horn+: first, my sympathy. Are you being sure to do Investigations? The Horns are carves, so they have a decent chance of showing up in the Silver/Gold reward boxes in Investigations - I got the 2 I needed from Silver boxes. No need to break Nergigante's face unlike Black Diablos where the Spiral Horn isn't a carve or reward and you have to break her horns to get them.

RNG was good to me today. Got at least one of the horns for Diablos Tyrannis II every investigation and I was paired with good players who apparently hated either the sight of horns on monsters or their having faces.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This "don't play with pubbies, players below HR 1,000,000, or non-Nippon-special-race" advice is silly. There's nothing about goons that's made us better than random internet person, modulo possibly voice chat but why would you pick goons as a better population for enabling that over other random folks?

I soloed every Assignment and Optional till I got to HR and they dumped all these repetitive Optionals on me with the same monsters I'd already defeated in LR, and not really any harder as you had way better gear. I did MP once I had completed a monster solo. My admittedly limited experience (about 70-80 hours since the day the game came out) is that random SoS missions whether you're sending out the SoS or helping are generally ok (I disabled voice chat before starting), provided you yourself know what you're doing when sending or selecting the mission.

If you SoS help an Assignment, expect the host and probably some of the others who may be trying to get through the mission themselves to have no idea as to what's going on. But that's ok, since you should only be doing this if you are sunbroing to help new players and don't care if the mission fails or because you need help getting through yourself.

There really is no reason to SoS an Optional unless you need to pick up tracks and there's no Investigation available or you don't want to run it yourself solo because it's repetitive (since for eg you killed that same monster solo on LR and don't find HR more challenging). If you SoS this for other reasons, expect to be playing with people just as confused as you are.

Investigations are the meat of your gear grind and usually have good players who are aware of the game even if they do make mistakes occasionally. I've had the odd failed Investigation, but they're really quite rare.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The desire sensor works both ways, but always sensing your direction and working to oppose it.

I finished off Kushala and Xeno after a few days gap and was considering what I want to do from here since the RNG really takes over from this point. Decided to farm Nerg/Teo gems for some stuff I had wanted to make.

Third Nerg investigation gives 2 Nerg Gems (carve, silver reward), 2 Horns (but the pubbies and I had broken its horns well before it slept), and best of all: an Elementless Jewel! This is off a normal, non-Tiered investigation right after Xeno.

I went back and thanked Nergi with that gem plus Diablos Tyrranis II after eating for Attack Up (L), which adds up to a monstrous 1019 raw damage or 283 true raw damage! I don't even know if I'll use one of his gems to upgrade the Nergal Lacerator to the Thorns, the Diablos is just too strong.

I will have to keep playing.

TL;DR: gently caress you, desire sensor.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 20, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I did the challenge to fight a tzi-tzi ya ku and it took 25 drat minutes. Need 4 for A. What the heck. What the heck? Guy wouldn't die. Squirrley gently caress!

Does it always have multiplayer HP even if you're alone?

Edit: ignore since this is Arena related. vvv

No, HP only goes up right before someone finally enters your game. There's a message when that happens "difficulty adjusted for multiplayer".

Hit Tzi in the head, a lot. Capture it to save having to remove its last 25% HP.

Capture is always the way to go other than for Elders. It's easy to do mid fight as well, just drop the tranq bombs first while standing next to it then drop the trap right under its feet when it's not moving. The tranqs take a few secs to take effect and last a while so it's more reliable to do them first when doing it mid fight I've found.

The first red pod drops at 30% health left, the second at 20%, so do it after the second or some damage after the first. Don't bother waiting for it to go to sleep which is much later and after it's run all the way back to its lair, that's a lot of time wasted.

Edit: if you mean Arena, then none of this applies of course. Haven't tried it yet, so I dunno about HP values there.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 20, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Almost the entirety of this post is wrong in the context of it being an arena challenge, where you can't capture and the monsters always have multiplayer hp. :cheeky:

I saw a video yesterday of a guy getting gold solo on the azure rathalos with SnS. Blew my mind

Yeah, realized that right before you posted. Didn't see the word "challenge" for what it was. :downs:

Was doing the math on Diablos Tyrranis II with Elementless and Attack Up (L). Using only true raw values without the display multipler. Base is 230 true raw, which is very high since most Rarity 7 and 8 weapons typically cap around 200-210. Elementless adds 10%, 23 more. Attack Up (L) from food is a huge 30 true raw added on top taking you to the ridiculous 283 true raw total.

Attack up from food is even better if the weapon's true raw is low, like a status weapon. It seems to be a flat 30, which is like a 15% boost for most final tier weapons and 13% even for Tyrannis.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 20, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bushmeister posted:

What determines what investigations are available to you, and do the old ones time out at any point or just get pushed out of the journal once it fills up?

You get investigations by picking up tracks and bits monsters leave behind and by breaking parts of monsters in fights. These are semi-random in how they trigger, not every part break or track picked gives you an investigation.

Which investigation you get is also random, but within the same tier as the event that gave you the investigation. So a low level monster like Great Jagras won't give you an investigation for an Elder Dragon, rather someone on the same difficulty tier like Kulu Ya Ku.

Once you get past the 250 investigation limit, the oldest get dropped from the ones you haven't selected.

Investigation rewards are the best source of the harder to farm items in the game. A gem that is a 1% carve from a monster will typically have a 6% chance as a silver reward item and a 13% chance as a gold reward item from an investigation. That's a huge increase - 7-8 tries to get a gem on average is much better than 100! So pick up those tracks and scars and whatever else you find.

I suggest you manage your Investigations, like you do your Bounties. I go in there every 3-5 hunts and scan the new ones, deleting everything that doesn't have gold rewards or which seem too much work. I will keep silvers if I don't otherwise have good gold rewards for that monster or if it's 3+ silvers. I rarely have more than 150-175 total investigations doing this. I also select any I want to be sure to keep - like the two Teostra ones that are the only ones I have for it.

Investigations are the bread and butter of your farming. Optional quests are not worth running over and over for items generally, I only use them to farm investigations. So manage them, it's worthwhile.

Edit: I always share my Investigations by SoSing them to be a helpful citizen unless it's a special situation. Folks may not have the gold reward investigations you lucked out on, share the love. Also worth filtering for investigations when farming for rare stuff if you don't have any of your own. Exceptions are 1 and sometimes 2 cart investigations or sometimes 2 player limit, where it's easier to solo always, and some specific monsters that cart more than others like Kirin and the Diablos where it's much easier to solo if you're short on investigations for them.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 20, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Better sorting and filtering by monster/level/tier would be awesome.

Another peeve: why didn't they sort the skills list by name in armor filtering? Such a small but annoying thing in an otherwise cool UI.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Basically, "show me all the investigations I have for this one monster, sorted by level and rewards" would be great to have.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

He's the definition of a weeaboo. He even married a Japanese woman and gave his kid a Japanese name. Difference is, he's been doing it for well over a decade.

Holy poo poo, I was going to post about Monster Hunter World, a great game in what everyone says is a great series but which I sadly ignored until now. But then I read your lovely posts and I think man, posting these consistently lovely opinions is like missing that SAED when Nergi ambles away from you and everyone else knew that was going to happen. You know, embarrassing.

But then you post this poo poo and I think, your posts are even worse - like getting an AED when you thought you had charged your shield.

Watch the Team Darksiders Charge Blade video, it'll improve your game.

I mean, it can't make your posting worse.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

am i missing something with popping phials into your shield with Charge Blade? it seems like 90% of the time the cancel straight up doesn't work, is the window just way tighter than it looks?

I have about 90 CB hours, have finished the main game and am into the post game if that's even an appropriate term for this game.

I mash the cancel and still miss it sometimes. So, yeah. But, hey, you hopefully bopped something with that uncharged axe chop when it didn't register (not me, I look an idiot hating the ground when this happens).

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I agree about the tempered stuff, I hadn't really started on it until now but I'm trying to get into it and getting these investigations is a pain. When I finally do get a tempered monster it's like "oh and also fight pink rathian and black diablos". :arghfist: I need two more tempered threat 2 monsters to get the evasion mantle quest and I keep getting the same ones. Worst one I've done so far is definitely Uragaan :gonk:

Does anyone have the list handy of the different tempered monsters and their threat tier?

The minimum HR requirement is an easy way to tell when choosing quests. Minimum HR of 13 is T1, 30 is T2, 50 is T3.

Did the Evasion mantle quest yesterday, wow. Being poisoned, on fire, and stunned all at once was a new experience. The two of them being able to reach you quickly from across that arena physically and ranged made it the toughest fight yet.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Multi tempered monster hunts can be a lot of fun if you find a decent crew and makes me think they are the closest to the Good Olde Days of lobby based farming you'll get in World. With a decent crew, which is most of the time, you can figure out how to cooperate pretty well by the second monster or so. I don't want to chat or discord since I play at random intervals, sometimes not for days, and committing to a group is too much work. So this is a decent alternative.

Mushroomancer support HH builds are the poo poo, superb to have in your group. Had the same person show up in a couple multi tempered monster 1-cart hunts and they carried the team both times. Made it seem easy with the buffs and heals.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

And even more suprising, no one chose to disband and we all went back to base camp and people began to post new tempered quests. And we continued to wreck face for a few more quests before we all spammed emotes and stickers and disbanded.

I was honestly dumbfounded. And it really did remind me of how much better multiplayer lobbies used to be.

That sounds great. Never had that happen but a couple of times when the game first came out and everyone just went back to the base anyway. So I never choose that anymore, nor does anyone else I see. It's a pity they didn't make the whole stick around to form an impromptu group thing much simpler to understand and do.

They seemed to have changed something about how failed multiplayer hunts are handled. Didn't these use to take you straight back to the base instead of offering you options? I dunno. I just find myself looking embarrassedly at Handler instead of being back at base after the 2.0 patch.

I like how the game now puts up a message when someone is waiting in the queue for the current hunt.

Fuzz posted:

We've done these where we paired off and split up to hunt stuff, just to make it more interesting. Was a lot of fun when you're chasing your target to the same area as the other team is already fighting, and not only can you warn them the monster is coming but you get to see them dunging and then doing awesome poo poo in the distance as you run there. We haven't quite gotten to the coordination level where we can lay traps and poo poo in advance, but who cares, it's a Fun and Good Time.

Sounds like fun. This is the perfect game for that kind of interaction. Given my uncertain times and commitment, I play no-voice pubbie-only and miss out on a lot of this.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Got two SAED finishers in a single mount, first I've ever seen that. This was against an LR Kulu for the limited bounty, so I wonder if the damage from Tyrannis with its weak resists caused it. The first triggered very quickly and the second was immediately after.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I had a couple players stick around through about 8-10 Tempered Vaal investigations I posted and that was really cool. They didn't cart a single time, so none of the 4 slotters were wasted. I just spammed the "I'm posting a quest" and "Hang around" shouts once I was on a competent hunt and it seemed to work. I assume those are translated, since one was Japanese and the other Korean going by their names. Going to keep doing this.

I'm thinking of trying a crit-based Charge Blade build for some variety, maybe using Odium, that wouldn't be so SAED focused. The CB axe attacks are pretty neglected and they can do some nice damage with EDs and AEDs on top, and still using SAEDs with partial phials when possible. Anyone tried this/have good build ideas?

Here's rainy ruining Bazel without using SAEDs. He's not really focused on crits, but since he's the best CB player I've seen he doesn't need the help I guess. His Kirin and Teostra speed runs show some mad knowledge of the monster, including a Condensed Element Slash to Teo's face as he dives that is just insane timing given how long the windup for that attack is. His Tempered Deviljho run is the best around, I think.

Attitude Indicator posted:

am i crazy or did they add a new area behind the armory? that opens when you kill xeno, right? there's nothing there, but i can't understand that i haven't seen it through a 100 hours playtime.

Ha, is that where that last ! from finishing White Winds is hanging out? I couldn't find a way back there, but will look closer.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 1, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

suuma posted:

Are decorations completely RNG? It seems like the only stuff I get is +element attack, +defense, +element resist. Stuff that seems like you wouldn't ever use it but it fills a slot in the meantime because its "low rank".

I'm at the story quest where I have to fight two tempered bazel's, if that means anything. Just not sure if reaching some arbitrary progression point unlocks different decoration drops.

Modulo some trivial bucketized percentages, they are completely and utterly random. It's an abrupt and frankly saddening shift from focused and controlled grinding to pure RNG mechanics where you have no control over what will possibly drop. This is made worse by the Investigations mechanic where Good luck! getting into a useful investigation that has a chance of dropping what you want. Instead, learn to love the RNG which gates the Warrior/Hero Steamstones you need to upgrade your weapons to end-game tier.

I burnt out after receiving the 4th stone for Blades which I frankly have no interest in at the moment while sitting on one of the two I need for axe for hours and hours and hours to the point where I don't want to hit Vaal's face again if I can help it. Took all the preceding fun you out of the game for me because I was stuck with my crappy build unless I got one, switched weapons, or got lucky with Magazine or Artillery decoration drops (hahahahaha). You've already killed everything at this point, the fun is in the weapons and builds, not doing the same poo poo you mastered to get to this point ad nauseum.

The good news is you can cheat and "snipe" the melder. I finally broke and did this today because I was having no fun soon after Tempered Kirin (aside: still the best of the elders to me, its gimmick is quite transparent and fair, I think).

After about 3 hours of boredom sniping decorations, the game is way more fun again. I have made my first cool and interesting post game build around Peak Performance only and strictly only because I cheated and sniped a Magazine decoration which then let me swap out the awful Diablos CB meta for a far more fun and interesting Xeno Raatz build.

TL;DR: if you get bored of the decorations/Steamstones grind, Google decorations sniping and enjoy this great game again.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 3, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've been enjoying using Vaal's Super Recovery and Peak Performance. Here's a build using the Xeno CB that's been fun to play.

Recovery Up/Speed go well with the set bonus and health augment. The rest of it is to utilize sure of the Xeno strengths (White sharpness, affinity). I melder sniped that Magazine gem, the rest were drops. There are 7 1-size slots to tweak, easy to swap in fire or effluvia resist for eg.

I'm enjoying using the affinity and sharpness mechanics after using Tyrannis II for too long. I was in an all-CB SoS of Vaal an hour ago and it was nice to be the only one not using Tyrranis.

Making this work without the two slots on the Xeno weapon is hard. I tried out a Diablos Tyrranis II Peak Performance build without Super Recovery and it didn't work so well without the constant topping up from Super Recovery which really adds up. The lifesteal is great for getting back large chunks of health but not for ensuring you're always topped up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Recovery speed doesn't actually affect how fast Vaal's set bonus works. But it's still useful, because it fills up the red health faster, so the set bonus can get to work much sooner.

Good to know.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's in your Limited Bounties tab where you look at Bounties and Investigations. They'll change daily instead of weekly until the spring event is over.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Flytrap posted:

That's where I'm looking, it still just shows this week's events, still 11 hours until it refreshes.

Weird, mine switched hours ago.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Here's a very good summary of all the festival events.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I got one weapon stone from 5 Tempered Deviljho runs in this event. The 3 runs in the first event gave me 3 stones, including 2 at one go. Very small sample size, but it's taken away my motivation for tempered Deviljho right now.

On the other hand, tempered elders are dropping them very frequently the last two days, like 75-80% of the time. To the point where I wondered if they tweaked the drop rates for tempered elders, but it's almost certainly just RNG being RNG.

I wish they'd made these stones non-specific so you could use them with any weapon of the right rarity.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 8, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Only too me an hour to find the petricanth.

Now to hunt for the downy crake. :negative:

I know you've already found both, but the trick that works for the Petricanth and the Platinum Fish is to use the tent to reset the fish instead of the much slower warping between zones. The Eastern Camp in the Elder's Recess is perfect for this since both spawn in the pool there, just go in and out of the tent until they show up.

The Downy Crake only showed up at dusk for me, but they worked the first time at dusk. Never showed up during the day at all. Dunno about nighttime.

Your Computer posted:

I'm starting to think using the lance has made me worse at the other weapons. If I'm gonna fight something dangerous like the elder dragons or tempered monsters I just don't feel safe using anything other than the lance anymore :negative:

Good to hear. Having done the HR 100 quest, I'm thinking of restarting with the Lance. I want to learn to counter and the rhythm of the Lance seems fun from fooling around in the training room. HBG is the other immediately appealing option but I've yet to see more than one Ranged Warriors Streamstone.

How do you all learn entirely new weapons? Learning with endgame gear seems like you'll miss a lot of the (fun) challenge of progression so I'm thinking of starting a new save until I feel competent and then switching back to the endgame save.

I know you're probably joking, but do try out that Xeno Ra'atz CB Super Recovery/Peak Performance build I posted a few pages back if you feel like going back to the CB. It improved my uptime hugely since my only consideration if I take damage is getting a few attacks in to top up my health from the augment. You don't even need the phial damage, the majority of the CBs damage comes from the motion values on the hit even for an SAED.

I would now drop Recovery Up entirely from that build and split the two slots across Recovery Speed and Speed Sharpen, or bring in Divine Blessing 3 for big hitters like Tempered Deviljho. Recovery Up really isn't needed given how much damage the Xeno can deal with Affinity boosted and White sharpness.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

The Xeno stuff is all solid. Their downside is the below average damage but everything else makes up for that.

This. 15% Affinity less than the Odo weapon with higher raw damage and 2 tier-3 slots and White Sharpness without any levels in Handicap? Yeah, so you can't use Elementless, but who cares? It's a no-brainer fun weapon for most weapon types.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

In a game with superbly precise controls the fact that a Triangle + Circle input with your weapon sheathed is treated as a Circle input if there's anything to pickup nearby is maddening. I've grown to hate this more than the whiplash camera (or Zorah).

Why yes, I would much rather pick up and sniff Nerg's pawprint instead of doing a lunging attack opener with the CB as I had requested.

Some of the prioritisation in this game is very wonky. Another consistent annoyance is the snap-to lockons and their priorities in the map screen. No, I really don't want to lock onto a teammate but the monster below them. Would've been much better to not do any snap-tos of the cursor, just select what's below the cursor. This is like the camera whiplash effect: in such a precise control game, why take control away from the player for this trivial stuff?

Likewise the prioritisation of material pickup vs pod drops being dependent on whether the monster is alive or dead. Basing it on proximity would be more intuitive.

Then again this stuff wasn't that irritating for the first 199 hours, so that's not bad. The T+O override to O has been lovely since the first time it happened, but I don't know how many weapons other than CB have an opening attack from sheathed with that key combo so maybe they just overlooked it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bogart posted:

How do I make it so my ammo auto replenishes when I head to base? I'm a big dumbo who forgets the power coating always.
Also can I get more power coatings in my bag? I have a whole row of empty space. :(

Hit the Options button when on the Item selection screen at the chest. You can create and save item loadouts. Also saves your item selection wheel and bar.

You can and should also do this at the Equip screen for armor loadouts.

E: I assume it's the Start button on XBox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Lynx Winters posted:

I thought weapons just have the one unsheathe attack with direction + triangle. I know that's what it is for charge blade, anyway.

Yeah, you're right - along with the R2 axe opener. I'd picked up a bad habit right from the start, see below.

AttackBacon posted:

CB doesn't have a Triangle+Circle unsheathe attack. It has Triangle for the running slash and R2 for the overhead axe slam. No weapon in the game has an unsheathe command that requires Circle actually (probably for the very reason you are encountering).

Good summary, I was confused right from the start of my CB play. I just tested and it's clear why: CB has the lunging Forward Slash on L+T if the weapon is sheathed (a good opener) and the same lunging Forward Slash attack on T+O if the weapon is unsheathed (a good distance closer). I had conflated those into L+T+O as my mental Forward Slash attack whether sheathed or unsheathed.

Turns out if you do L+T+O when the O pickup prompt would be active because you're sheathed, you do a pickup as it has priority over the L+T input. Tested this in the training room.

AttackBacon posted:

You can track monsters via their name in the bottom left of the map, that's a much easier/more consistent way of doing it. Pick-up prioritization is annoying I'd agree, although I understand why they made the choice. I'd personally prefer if materials were simply always prioritized, since they go away once you pick them up, whereas slinger ammo replaces whatever you have currently equipped, which can lead to super annoying drop-&-pickup chains when you are trying to get a material and covering it with slinger ammo over and over.

Good point. I never used the monster names on the map, still have to switch. Agree on the materials priority. Trying to do Bandit Mantle pickups when there's a pod in the middle is particularly bad. All that Gold untouchable until you somehow ferry that one pod away.