Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
nuked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bitterandtwisted posted:

The TOS movies might be the best TV show to movie adaptations ever.
The TNG ones are a sad imitation of the show. If you're a TNG fan I can't really recommend any of them and if you're not I definitely wouldn't because as standalone movies they're just not good.

this. TOS movies ruled. i watched the TNG ones before watchinv TNG and was honestly pretty confuses by the characterization. like Picard chilled out a lot haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bitterandtwisted posted:

TMP is very different in style and pacing to the others.
Also TMP is good

this

i mean i would be all for trimming some of the lingering shots of the enterprise but as a whole TMP is top notch scifi

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

sure okay posted:

who can I troll to get a free AV?

Heat sucked rear end!

post in syfy wifi and ill give you an arbitrary image off my harddrive

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sunk Dunk posted:

me eityher maybe its a 2001 a spaceodd thing?

it'a clearly a reference to Tarkovsky's Solaris

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Star Trek the Animated Series is p good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i'm not watching any bullshit this year 2023. no more super hero crap. too many good films from the past.

hell yes this is my sentiment too. so many i havent seen. so far ive watched 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and Little Shop or Horrors and they were real good. watching old movies to rekindle my love of film basically

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Toxic Mental posted:

I watched Little Shop of Horrors recently too and it just reminded me why musicals are awful but the giant mouth prop for the dentists scene was cool

yeah i don't really remember the songs, but the props were wicked. Audrey II was awesome and the director's cut ending was impressive as hell. props to Frank Oz. that giant mouth prop was wild. the cameos of various comedy actors was pretty good. Bill Murray was great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That DICK! posted:

Oh dang. John carpenter died

good lord dont scare me like that

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That DICK! posted:

sorry i should have edited it, it was david crosby. but you all probably know that by now. im not dead no matter what QOP says. i notice you werent worried about that

i was too consumed with fear that someone had found Carpenter's phylactery and destroyed it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

X JAKK posted:

For some goddamn idiotic reason, you can only watch the black and chrome version of Fury Road on amazon, so I was left with no choice but to YARR it, my girlfriend pointed out there is no real character development or reason to care about anyone and you have to study the wiki to understand anything about who these people are and how the world works, and I couldnt disagree, it really feels like jumping into Infinity War without seeing any other Marvel movie, and is an extremely dire film to sit through if you are more into story and meaningful dialogue than giant crazy car chases and grunting grumpy boys

woof

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

big cummers ONLY posted:

The movie tells you everything you need to know about the setting and characters, but it tells you by showing you stuff, not dialoguing it. I have seen no other media related to Mad Max, noy even the other movies, and it was completely understandable even on my first watch. And I'm a big idiot. Maybe you weren't in the right headspace

no, don't! you're falling for the bait!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hemale in pain posted:

i saw fury road twice at the cinema and i should of gone more

same. such a great film

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kalel posted:

maybe you should of gone to English class instead

*should have

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

sure okay posted:

im just gonna watch Fury Road tonight gently caress i

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh hey i think i saw that one. neat sci-fi concept. i think i peaced out halfway through the last epsiode. it was getting too melancholy for me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah Prometheus was a huge fuckin mess but drat if it didn't look cool

drat beautiful mess. i have watched it multiple times. it doesnt get any clearer at any point but man it is gorgeous

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

reignofevil posted:

We're all mutt now and this thread is gonna be our vietnam.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, people with eyes

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

reignofevil posted:

Venture bros movie was good. Felt like a supercharged episode, got genuine laughs from me. They were cooking with the good stuff.

hell yah. gonna watch this tonight

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Outpost22 posted:

How soon did we all forget about Mutt's heroic sacrifice? :(

what happened to Mutt? i cant wait to see more of him in the new Indy movie

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

reignofevil posted:

I actually think the venture bros later seasons are fine, and that it's okay to have a fun world with unique characters and to give them something to do.

same.

they definitely got more obtuse as they went on... i that i mean someone could jump into s1 or s2 or even s3 and go along for the ride whereas later ones relied a lot on the internal lore. not terribly bad, but more rewarding for those who followed along. however the show really grew with the characters and the growth felt earned and logical. i wouldnt get someone to jump into the last two seasons of Breaking Bad and expect them to keep up...

what i like about Venture Bros is it starts fairly light hearted and pop culture referrential and gets more drama and pathos as it goes on. the earlier seasons are the hook. the latter ones the payoff. that said latter seasons still had great one-off jokes

for example, the final reveal of Dr Venture and The Monarch's actual relationship to one another was a great dramatic moment to end the series on. but i laughed the hardest when Dr. Venture, Sgt Vatred, Helpr, Gary, and The Monarch armed themselves to shoot up the hacked Helpr-Alexa devices and instead got bodily tossed around the intense antigravity while pop music blasted so hard they bled from their ears, eyes, and anuses.. That was some drat good physical comedy.

Sad there was no proper Wide Whale or Sirena wrap-up. And in fact I think my biggest issue with the movie is it felt like one long episode. That's not necessarily a bad thing... but it felt less like the Gargantua 1 special and more like they had season 8 pulled out from under them and had to condense a lot of poo poo to make it fit. which, well, is what happened.

but yeah. i dunno. i loved the way VB grew and am saf to see it go. Movie was p good. glad series ended on "p good" rather than awful. unlikely it was ever going to recapture earlier season highs.

the credit stinger joke of Gargantua 1 where the pirate captain plays a cover pf Crash Test Dummies Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm at Jonas Venture Jr's funeral remains one of my fav gags in the whole series

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

super sweet best pal posted:

Gargantua 2
:goonsay:

Speaking of Gargantua 1, I'm just disappointed we didn't learn who actually pulled the lever during movie night. The true identity of Phantom Spaceman is the only unanswered plot hook I cared about.

gently caress me ive been calling that episode "All That And Gargantua 1" for ages. it's All This And Gargantua-2

i thought it was all but said out loud that Vendata did it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

i loving hate this 'joke' i see it commented all over youtube/patreon on every loving video they post everybody shut the gently caress up

hey welcome to the thread!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ope ope ope ope oppenheimer style

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Xq6_g2r6Q

What if Homeward Bound but rated R. The gently caress is this.

from the people who brought you cocaine bear

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jose Oquendo posted:

RLM's Jack Quaid was pretty good in it. There's not a single bad performance the movie.

so glad RLM alums are are getting work

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
best thing Tom Cruise Mummy gave us is a kickin rad videogame tie in

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lol i take it back

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sankara posted:

The pitch part was fun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kalel posted:

I tried a few episodes of the harley quinn cartoon. It got some light chuckles but most of the time it's just trying way too hard. why does everything from dc universally suck so bad

it finds its rhythm and mellows out. but yah it can get kind of frantic. definitely a ymmv kinda show

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cubone posted:

I swear he was a good character in 52

look, just, *drops a 1200-page comic book on the table* read this, *the comic creates an impact crater, which I fall into, dying*

lol i read 52. i remember enjoying it while i read it but dont remember anything else about it.

also if Star Wars retold Henry IV with a Space Falstaff i would watch it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rageaholic posted:

It's not nearly as good as the original but the opening loving rules

the opening whips. amazing anglea and shots. very tense. just watch until the Full Monty gets away on the boat and youre good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rageaholic posted:

Saving Private Ryan

Are there honestly any other choices?

the gently caress

das boot?
come and see?
life is beautiful?

a whole host of others?

saving private ryan is good but there also loads of better candidates for best

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Chad Jihad posted:

There's a shorter early version whose name escapes me on youtube, it's basically the same but skips some of cubones big complaints

you mean "E Dinky Dink"?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Only if you buy me a drink first

a drinky drink surely

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Saw Escape from New York on the big screen for the first time a couple of days ago. So many good lines. So many. Unfortunately some people, including one of the people I went with, thought it was a The Room type situation as described above. Half an hour in they had all shut the gently caress up and bowed down to the swagger of prime Kurt Russell though.

i had a similar experience with a bunch of friends in high school when we saw a screening of The Thing. at first no one would shut the gently caress up... but by the time the dog-thing's head split open and they burnt down the kennel everyone was glued to the screen.

Carpenter and Russel are a top tier combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rageaholic posted:

What are people even saying during Escape From New York and The Thing to make it a The Room type situation? Are they quoting lines or just talking over the movie or what?

people were jeering the Norwegian's aim and cheering when Garry bullseyed him through the eye. from there they just cracked jokes about the characters... MacReady loving up a chess computer, Nauls rollerskating in Antarctica, Childs and Palmer gettin high. it's a slow burn and it was the mid2000s so people were gettin antsy for action with shortened attention spans.

it was a weird sitch though. annoying as hell but glad when they shut up