Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Agreed. And the fact that he could apparently afford all that lumber, but not a freaking saw or tape measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

The first one - maybe that was done in the 40s/50s/60s? Hell, I think that was above code back then. poo poo was scary, yeah, but functional and legal at the time.

On the second, I hate that! Idiots shouldn't be allowed to touch plumbing. I found a few places in my house like that when I tore into it, for instance the grey water drain the previous owner installed for the washing machine in the back entryway/pantry. Black ABS pipe straight through the floor, elbow, straight across the basement ceiling, then they hacked into a cast iron vent riser and "spliced" (putting it nicely) a large radius ABS T-junction into it by gobbing silicone everywhere and jamming them together. The whole run of ABS was supported using prayers, luck, and in a spot or two, it was tied to a nail in a joist using chunks of old zipcord off wall wart transformers and telephone cable.

I said the same thing when I discovered that - "so that's why the back entryway always smells like poo poo..."

Lots of folks don't seem to understand the function of a P-trap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

gently caress those things forever. The guy who did my job before me used a bunch of those in 12 volt applications and they work like poo poo. I can't even imagine using them for 110.

Oh, gently caress yes, screw those things.
Any sight of those in an install that someone wanted us to fix triggered an immediate price increase for a complete re-wire at the mobile electronics shop I used to work at. See, we warrantied our work, and no way could we warranty anything with those crap-rear end things in it. Barely better than twist an tape, possibly worse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh dude, if we had a thread for "poo poo you know is wrong in your house that you're loving ignoring" it would be twelve times the length of this thread and six times as scary.

My living room and main bathroom floor are bare concrete. I've had the bamboo flooring for the living room sitting there for like 2 years. The bathroom also needs the tile and backer board replaced - it's trying to come down by itself. Tub looks lovely, too, so...
I try not to look at my wavy roof.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Brennanite posted:

Concrete nothing, we just had the bare plywood sub floor in our bathroom growing up. Sometime around 1991, my father remodeled the bathroom and never got around to tiling it for another 13(!) years. It would probably still be lacking tile to this day if my mother hadn't insisted it be finished before my wedding.

He finished with 2 days to spare.

My bathroom has been bare concrete since my daughter started taking baths by herself, because young kids plus bath = water everywhere (carpet in a bathroom, really?) She was about, oh, 5? then. She's turning 13 in November. Yeah, I really need to decide what I'm doing in there. At least I removed all the original linoleum that was under the carpet. The tile was easy - the backing and adhesive that remained was a bitch.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

You could put down peel and stick vinyl tiles in a few hours for under $40.

It may not be the nicest thing, and you may end up doing a lovely job around the toilet without pulling it......bit it's easy and better than bare concrete.

From waaaaaay back, but!
I thought of that, but I figure, in a bathroom, water is going to get under the tiles through the joints and lift them. In our bathroom, with my kid, water everywhere is inevitable. It would probably do temporarily, I suppose.
I can tile it - it's just my wife and I being lazy on picking out tile(s), mainly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nthalp posted:

I was gonna be real :smith: if no one got that.

The day I don't recognize a variation on Roy's speech is the day I turn in my nerd card and lay down to die myself. Nicely done.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

That's honestly what I want. Something big enough for a floor lift so I can stop working on my Jeep in the slush when the rear end in a top hat device throws a part in mid-winter, and with enough room for all my assorted hobbies. Throw a 1 bedroom cottage on the back and I'm a happy man.

If I were single, this would be where I lived.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

Sound dampening drapes or a shotgun.

Train horn, pointed at their patio. Give it a blast when it's time to break up the party.

`Nemesis posted:

http://www.movingsoundtech.com/

Turn this on every time they're outside late at night.

Every line of that description reads "get off my lawn you dang whipper-snappers" to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Javid posted:

Where does it come from?

Where does it go?

My theory is irrigating a tree with shower water but that setup doesn't look adjustable and there are a bunch of trees.

Washing machine discharge.

e:efb

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Watch that first step

I like that they went with a fancy door, rather than the plain smooth one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

canyoneer posted:

A good post from PYF.

:eyepop:

I'm incredibly disappointed that the video contained nothing about the chariot in the freeze frame.

e: and the first autocomplete when I typed "mot" on YouTube was "motorcycle chariot." Looks like I'm not the only one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

In a literal crappy construction tale it turns out that the sewer line under my house was put in with so little fall that the slight settling of the foundation over 40 years has resulted in sections which force the waste to flow uphill.

I am so glad I'm not the owner because they are going to have to tunnel under the slab to fix it.

My house's foundation shifted enough that the black iron sewer line under the house is cracked on it's top side. It's still perfectly functional, unless that crack starts to let dirt and stuff into the line to clog it, which I suspect is happening. I've had to auger it out every few months until recently. Haven't had to for 6 months or so.
We found this out when we were looking into stabilizing the center of the foundation with expanding foam (the perimeter already has piers) and they had to do a plumbing inspection, because of course the expanding foam will force it's way into any cracks. They pressure tested, which failed, then ran a camera down the pipe. Cracked for like 20'. Obviously, I didn't get the foam jacking done, because I can't afford to replace the entire damned sewer line, under the house.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

xlevus posted:

My mum had this problem with her clay/ceramic sewage pipes. There's an attachment that goes on the end of those flexible drain unblocker motor things that are designed for this problem.

Sure, they only cut the roots back for 6 months, but they give you enough time to get the capital to replace the pipes.

That's what I've been using. Works well, so far. Eventually going to need to rent a concrete saw and make a mess. Or find a better house and sell this one. I don't like it anyway, and now I know some features to look for (first house, didn't realize some layout arrangements I wouldn't like.)

And, yeah, I wondered why they couldn't just clear it out afterward, or do the bladder thing myself. I decided that they had likely tried it in the past with less than optimal results.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NancyPants posted:

Nope, Midwest. I shouldn't complain too much, it is actually a huge space, albeit a little awkwardly laid out, for what we're paying for.

The walls are of course like tissue paper, so I can hear when my neighbors sneeze, eat a bag of chips, or have their dysfunctional relationship. On game night I think if they read me the dice I could easily play through the wall with them, but I don't want to because I hate them.

Our upstairs neighbor's AC condensate was leaking into our apartment over the course of a few days this past summer and soaked the carpet surrounding our little utility closet. The office manager did not know how to operate a wet vac or how to use it on carpet which was very amusing to me.

The "bedroom" wall (it is a loft, after all):

Learned the hard way not to lean on that sucker!

The ugliest vinyl tile I have ever seen, but at least it's properly installed in the kitchen:

Unfortunately can't say the same for the bathroom:

It's a little tough to see, but that foremost tile in the same column as the bubbly ones has already been replaced once. The others were like that at the time and I don't know why he did it as he did (actually yes I do), but I was tired of dealing with it so there you go. There was a lot of give to the subfloor at the time (still is), and obviously grout is both flexible and holds really well, so he just slapped in another tile and grouted around it. Yes, the grout has already popped back out.

None of it is "going to kill me" stuff, and it's not nearly as bad as that Oakland loft. That is a really fugly space. Its just a lot of half-assed things that could be done a lot better by someone who knows what they are doing, I think.

Oh yeah the only insulation in our outside wall is bats.

Adhesive vinyl tile in a bathroom or other frequently-wet space is always a construction fail.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Fun thought exercise, hilarious legal battle.

E:

Holy poo poo. I love that either a family member or a social media drone (or maybe just a big fan of the show?) has started posting anonymously to the comments on that page, acting as if it is totally rational and reasonable to move six people into a one-bedroom house because you have a burning need to experience every second of your children's lives. I get it, their eldest is growing up, it's hard to let go, but I don't think this is the healthiest way of handling it.

Also seriously what the gently caress complaining about how all the rooms in a tiny house are tiny. that is the point what is wrong with you people

The 6 people in 600 square feet were apparently serious.
http://tinyhousefor6.com/

canyoneer posted:

Well, it's not like they have the closet space...

But yeah, they are already under contract on the house they "choose" in the show and have two dummy throwaway properties they walk around in frowning and nodding.

Anecdotal, but my coworkers tell me about another coworker who was on the show, and yes, that's exactly what happened.

e: f, b on the tiny house for 6.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

I shave with aggravated bears and well timed ducking

I just stick my face into a running lawnmower, propped up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Real men use push reel mowers

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

In the house I inherited from my great grandmother, I discovered a ~4'x6' void between the fireplace and outside wall where the original contractor just didn't build any house. If so inclined, I can climb the stairs into the attic, drop a rope ladder down there, and emerge outside from the crawlspace. What should I do with my uninsulated panic room/housefire turbocharger?

This just begs to have the fireplace be a counterbalanced concealed door. Not sure how you'd work the chimney, though.
Hmm. Maybe a bookcase door to/on one side of the fireplace?

Good place for a gun/valuables safe.

e: bondage dungeon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Well yeah, the water can splash down your back when you're trying to take a dump

Gotta admit, this made me laugh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kizudarake posted:

For the turbine in the toilet drain. Sure, it sounds like a great idea, chopping up the solid waste, but wait until the poo poo really hits the fan.

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

My house had some bad toilet paper placement when I bought it:

Pre-heated TP.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Oh good, I was worried I wouldn't start my week with crippling sadness. :smith:

Jackasses in OK finally managed to convict her of child neglect and put her in prison for 10 years. For leaving the kids unattended for 10 minutes.
http://www.fox23.com/news/woman-accused-in-nieces-death-sentenced-to-10-years/245225481

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Khizan posted:

Where is 'here'? I'm assuming somewhere in Europe. Northern Spain is at roughly the same latitude as Vermont. France is roughly the same latitude as Maine. Pretty much all of the US is more tropical than Europe. Where I live(Texas) we're in the 90's for 5 months of the year and in the mid-high 80's for probably another 3. And it's awfully humid for most of that time, as well, and even the low 80's feel miserable with high humidity.

I am curious as to what your definition of a "blazing hot day" is. My personal scale doesn't hit blazing hot until about 105F (40C), with 97-100 being "average summer day".

also, come to Texas in about July, and tell me again about "cool night air." We're lucky if it's not still 95F at 2 AM...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Nazi connotations

Nazi connotations

Maybe just bad luck with random numbers?

:godwin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

couldcareless posted:

More here

I don't even know where to start

I keep spotting the copy of Twilight on the ceiling.
Good sound insulation, I suppose. Personally, I would have just, you know, surrounded the TV with bookcases and filled them with books I actually have or want to read. And maybe made a print or something if I wanted the ceiling to look like books. But what do I know? I'm not an artist (he said "In summary, I was thinking of the best way to decorate the living room wall and ceiling of my new Art studio," so I assume he's an :airquote:artist:airquote:)

Leperflesh posted:

That probably means you need good straight edges, though, or you're going to have uneven gaps. Basically you shouldn't cut your roof sheathing using a chainsaw, I'm gonna stand by that statement.

On the other hand, they're covering it with a steel roof, so it's much more tolerant of gaps than asphalt shingles. I'd still use a circular saw, though, myself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

>Result
>Vegan Lumberjack
>Try Again? Y/N

That made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

edit: this whole exchange, too.

NOTHING HAPPENS

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 23, 2016

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Here is a Russian motion sensor.

That's actually pretty ingenious.

canyoneer posted:

"Waste Water Nipple" and "Huge Plastic Bell End" would be pretty good usernames.

Or band names.

kid sinister posted:

Yet another "How Not to Build a Shed"!

https://m.imgur.com/a/8w1xW

Wasn't that the shed from way back at the beginning of this thread?

I'm not sure, but I think there might have been a little sarcasm in that video.

crabcakes66 posted:

This makes me feel better about everything I have ever done.

This. I've done some, "well, gently caress it" things, but nothing at this level.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

The walls and stripe are horrible but that ceiling is fine. The heat register though makes me think it's a floor.

I would be OK with this if the racing stripes were, say, Martini Racing colors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

HardDiskD posted:

They even have a little courtyard.

And the back turrets are garages and they have drawbridges for the cars. :iia:

Yep, going to have to go with awesome. Zillow claims it's a 2-bed, 2.5-bath house with nearly 2000 sq. ft., on 2.1 acres.
I hope there's roof access so you can walk the parapets.

Dillbag posted:

Just a half-dozen minivans on a monorail track driving through your neighbour's apartment, built to the most stringent second-world noise and safety standards, every 5-10 minutes. Sounds great. I'm sure after the first couple weeks you'd hardly notice it any more.

Can't be any worse than a cheap apartment in NY City next to the El tracks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

Dallas has decided to develop a floodway. Mostly as trails, but they are surely going to have bathroom buildings and lighting.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/dallas-is-building-trinity-river-park-the-biggest-urban-park-in-america/

Every three years or so it does this:

That will go well with the really expensive bridge to nowhere anyone wants to go (lower right,) and the really expensive bridge that's been under construction forever (upper left.)
Still, as long as it's still usable as a floodplain, a few paths and simple cinderblock buildings probably won't be hurt by being underwater a few days every few years. If nothing else, it will be something to laugh at. (Full disclosure: I live in Tarrant, rather than Dallas County, so I don't have to pay for it if it turns out to be a farce.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

They'd be slightly better without that "old lady" valence at the top, but yeah, still not great. That orange doesn't go with vomit-green walls.

Edit: Let's add some real content:
Made a Hidden secret staircase to access my dungeon Cinema

A big hole who's edge extends in front of a doorway? Shouldn't be an issue. You'll see why later.

Who needs floor joists?

When it comes to ladders, you want the oldest wood you can find.

See what I mean? A slapped-together plywood box held together with cheap shelving brackets solves that pesky "hole in the floor" problem.

Don't be alarmed that the ladder is barely held in place, because the ladder is so close to the opposite wall, that even if came loose and fell backwards, you'd only go about a foot.

See?
The ladder is actually a clever design to make sure that No Fat Chicks can enter his cool rape dungeon basement cinema.

I briefly looked at his original album from when he first built the basement cinema (http://imgur.com/a/BE9ra), and by itself it doesn't look that bad (but I'm certainly no contractor or inspector)? It's converted from a glorified crawlspace that is accessed by a sort of storage shed from outside the home, so I guess the biggest concern would be moisture, but I don't think he altered anything structurally.

I would have turned the ladder 90 degrees, connectint to the side closet to the outside door, which would have allowed it to almost be a staircase, and added a hand rail on the left (back, in the pictures) side. Possibly with a bit of handrail that came up with the lid.
Hell, I'm an AI Goon - I would have built a dumbwaiter-style elevator using a Harbor Freight winch.

Oh, and I would have stained and sealed the ladder, at least.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It didnt seem so bad til I looked down to the construction pictures and realized he astroturfed the floor?

And filled the underbench area with gravel?

oh its the wine storage

I can't hate this. I would have gone with not astroturf, and not gravel, but the basic idea of movie watching pit is sound.

FogHelmut posted:

This would have been awesome to have when I was 19.

I'm 47, but I refuse to grow up (apparently.)

endlessmonotony posted:

That's a low bar to clear. A controlled demolition would improve it substantially more.

Hell, an uncontrolled demolition...

Bad Munki posted:

I want to believe it's like one of those drinking birds where it keeps tipping down to touch the water then back up again, repeatedly.

It took me a minute to realize that it hadn't been built that way purposefully al'a The Upside-down House or whatever.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At first I thought this was an intentionally-built-sideways house (like that one upside-down house), but then I saw it had ripped out its foundations. And also realized what thread I was in.

e: f, b.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Roof live loads are relatively small compared to floor loads unless it is a high snowfall area. You should never store things on a roof without checking its design limits. I once did an inspection for a contractor's project to add a floor with a flat roof to a brownstone. Not only did he store cement bags and equipment on the roof, he put it all in the center, causing the most stress, and sagging the roof. Rainwater had already started ponding in this low spot and we had to more or less clear out the building because the roof joists were overstressed.

Why in the world would you haul ALL of the roofing materials up and stack them all at the center like that? FFS, at least put them around the edges. Even I know that roofs are designed to hold up themselves, and not a lot more (at least in light snow areas.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, gently caress no. Get that away from me. Jesus - it's a non-moulded plug. Just remove it and use twist caps temporarily.

quote:

Is that... a piece of copper pipe?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Yeah, we usually do basements in Minnesota. I was probably around 10 before I found out other parts of the country don't necessarily have basements and even older before I figure out what "crawlspace" meant.

Check out this crawlspace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

That's amazing. What a neat way to use otherwise difficult to use space.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I think a lot of evening chilling that's done in living rooms now used to be in bedrooms. Like after dinner, you would put the kids to bed, and then you would go to bed to read or watch Johnny Carson on the TV that was practically mandatory in nice bedrooms. Now the living room has the TV and consoles and media stuff, and if you chill it's there. I don't think I know anyone with a TV in their bedroom anymore -- if you want to watch something in bed, you just do it on a tablet/phone.

I moved out 42" into the bedroom (replacing a 36" tube) when we got a bigger better TV for the living room. It's been turned on like 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. I thought I might use the 2nd Xbox 360 in there, but that hasn't been the case. Maybe if I pay for a second U-verse box my wife will watch the stupid poo poo that I don't want to watch in the there.

Crotch Fruit posted:

27" tube TV and a 21" CRT monitor. I still remember how thrilled I was to get my first GPU with TV out so that I wouldn't have to constantly switch the cable, I immediately realized TVs suck for PC monitors.

I remember having to explain to people back in the '90s when I worked computer retail why a 17" CRT monitor cost more than 19" TV. Trying to read small text on 480p sucks. I pointed out how hard it was to read movie credits on TV versus the movie screen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Actual result: you'll watch lovely stuff in there while your wife watches lovely stuff on the big one.

I could live with that. My recliner's easier on my back, but I could probably pile up some pillows on the bed...
The one in the bedroom is 42", and it's only about 3' from the foot of the bed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

That would be a touch far for games and forums reading, I think. Either you have fantastic vision, or you'll be cranki g the resolution way down to make stuff bigger. Mine on a swing arm, so I can fold it away to be flat with the wall if I need to work at my desk, but usually it's swung out right to the edge of the bed.

Not for 'puter usage. Xbox. I have an iPad for forums and stuff.

Oh, wow, that's cool.

Baronjutter posted:

I saw many newer buildings like that in Ukraine just covered with foam insulation then plaster and paint applied directly over top (or not at all sometimes!) I imagine it's just a layer of that falling of.

That's basically what I'm thinking it is.
Sort of a styrofoam stucco.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Alereon posted:

If you have a fixture that takes bulbs with weird bases, you can probably buy a pack of screw-base adapters for $.10 each on Amazon that let you use a more normal size.

I had to do that. Bought candelabra LEDs for the ceiling fan in the bedroom (they were on clearance), and then realized the stupid thing takes the size E17 (or A15 bulb) between normal (E26) and candelabra (E12), basically only used in ceiling fans and appliances. Adapters were super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well that certainly puts the subsidence problem I had in perspective. That turned out to be building on sand (over clay) and the back of the building having literally no foundation. Two courses of bricks in the ground and that was it, thanks Victorian builders!

Fortunately the main building was stable so it was just the back half moving away and a company called Uretek basically pumped resin into the ground to bind and stabilise it and act like a slab. Apparently they can actually lift the building up by using different mixes of resin that expand slightly.

Ended up being 3 years of bullshit with the insurers to plan a single day's work.

I was going to have Uretek stabilize the foundation on my house (I have piers around the perimeter, but the middle was sinking, too. I had an interior wall about an inch off the floor.) but it turned out that my drain plumbing was cracked along the top - cast iron pipe - and while it didn't affect operation much, the urethane foam that they use would creep into the sewer pipe when it expanded. I couldn't afford new sewer pipe AND foundation jacking, so, whelp, neither happened. Floor came back up when the ground moistened up again, actually. Yay, Texas clay.