Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

BJPaskoff posted:

I think a lot of the ideas for Gleemax.com got rolled into the Planeswalker Points website. By the way, this is your annual reminder that the Planeswalker Points website exists.

And speaking of social stuff, this is your reminder that ratings and comments on Gatherer are still broken :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Sigma-X posted:

Serendib Efreet has a green border
Iff Biff Efreet has Serendib Efreet's art

Slight correction: the art on both of them is Ifh-Biff Efreet. The misprinted Serendib Efreet has both the wrong border and the wrong art.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Hellsau posted:

I think those clouds are just the artist not wanting to bother drawing a background.

Seriously that is some bad art. Vague nonsensical clouds to obscure the lack of background, nothing really interesting about the focus of the piece, plus it's a Weapons Trainer with the single weapon depicted being smaller than a butter knife.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

suicidesteve posted:

This is presumably meant to be the same battle from each of the superfriends's perspective. I'm assuming there will be a white and blue one from a slightly different angle too.

I doubt it - in the art and flavor text, Bonds has Jace and Nissa, Fall has Gideon and Chandra. They might have similar cards to better represent Jace's and Gideon's contributions elsewhere, but I don't see them having even more cards depicting the exact same scene.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lancelot posted:

You get to Shock once, at the end of the turn, if you played at least one planeswalker. Not sure if that's what you thought it does or not.

Not even Shock, you only get to hit opponents!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So, this is the Lightning Strike we deserve :\

I'm confused as to why this doesn't exile like every other devoid removal spell.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It looks like they're trying to add an aristocrats theme, but it seems hard to actually find cards that are strong enough to support it. Carrier Thrall seems weird though, even something like Nest Invader would probably be better.

Based on her comments I'm assuming they were looking at Red-Black for Aristocrats. And at least Carrier Thrall seems better than High Market :psyduck:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Angry Grimace posted:

The concept of anything in Innistrad being mechanically similar to BFZ is pretty silly. poo poo, OGW is only barely mechanically similar to BFZ.

There's a lot of lingering plot threads anyways that they can pick up wherever they want - Bolas is still a dick, Eugene's still an unknown quantity, Ob Nixilis has apparently made it his life's mission to be a Superdick to the Gatewatch, and the Phyrexians are still assholes (and can show up on a million planes due to LOLKarn, who himself isn't apparently doing anything helpful)

While this is true, I hope this new storytelling initiative doesn't lead to every single set being "the Gatewatch heads to <plane> where they encounter <threat to the multiverse> and fend them off" ad infinitum.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Niton posted:

In the MODO team's defense, mana really did need this kind of overhaul - they avoided doing it when Hybrid Mana became a thing, and cards with Hybrid Mana had looked hideous in context menus for years.

I can only imagine what Reaper King looks like when you attempt to cast it.

There's also this tidbit that, while it probably didn't affect much, sounds really bad:

quote:

Let's say you've got two colorless, one red, and one green mana in your pool, and you wanted to cast a Firespout in your hand with {C}{R}{G}. There was literally no way to accomplish what you wanted to do. The menu on the Firespout card had a "Cast for {2}{R}" option and a "Cast for {2}{G}" option, but no "Cast for {1}{R}{G}" option.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

This reminded me of my favorite piece of Magic trivia: that Bearscape's original name was Bear Supply.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

-Flashback could come back and people would like it. It kind of plays interestingly against Processing, if a Wasteland Strangler deck is a thing.

I can easily see Flashback coming back simply because it's an easy-to-understand graveyard-matters mechanic with practically infinite design space.

I hadn't considered the interaction with processing though, and that makes it really interesting. Suddenly flashing back spells turns on your opponent's processors, but at the same time, if they process those cards they're letting you flash them back again. Could lead to some really interesting game states.

On the other hand, any instant-speed processing has a really unintuitive interaction with Madness if you're not intimately familiar with how it works. There's a window where the exiled Madness card can be processed, preventing you from casting it, but you'd never know that based on the reminder text definition of "you can cast this when you discard it."

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
So glad we get to hear BDM's labored breathing as he goes through the strenuous activity of "taking a walk"

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
"Those Wall of Omens holding the fart, er, fort down nicely"

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think Blood Moon is as amazing as it looks. As long as they can get a Waste out they'll be able to cast all their creatures a couple of turns later - I'm not convinced you slow them down much more than you slow yourself down by playing a 3 mana enchantment.

Limited sample size, but from what we saw today this seems true. There was one game where a player stuck a Blood Moon when he was already facing down 3/3 and 4/4 Endless Ones and just lost, and another where the Eldrazi player Ghost Quartered his own land in response to Moon to fetch a Wastes and just played through it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

cheetah7071 posted:

It looks like the details on how madness works is changing with SoI, based on the new reminder text. Right now, if you discard a card with madness into a graveyard of five cards, you can choose whether jace's flip trigger or the madness spell resolves first. With the new rules coming up, the flip will resolve first, assuming I remember the new reminder text right.

e: also, yeah, your graveyard has to have five cards not counting the newly-discarded basking rootwalla.

Jace does not have any triggers, though. His flip will always resolve before anything that triggers off of the discard.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Star Man posted:

Mirari was in FtV: Relics. But that's otherwise a pretty good estimate of the box set. It's going to be FtV: Legends pt. II

Replace it with Legacy Weapon, problem solved

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

En Fuego posted:

Everyone's favorite Twitter poster / MTG Spokesman Trick Jarrett posted the question: What's your favorite 2-power creature.

Best color, best value, best art

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think it's too much with Crucible since it's giving something very close to strip mine loops to Modern and Legacy.

Just tape on an "if this would go to the graveyard, exile it instead" clause and it becomes a very weird take on the anti-land land concept.

Could've been in BFZ/OGW as an Eldrazi-themed land with "each player exiles a land he or she controls". Enables processors, too!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Odric makes me think Skulk is going to be evergreen.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

On one hand, heck yes this is rad.

On the other hand, the RG werewolf planeswalker makes me worry about the possibility of the RG werewolf legendary creature. I guess it could be in Moon but...

This would be the most hilarious case of misunderstanding what the players wanted. "What? You guys wanted a legendary Werewolf? Well how about we do you one better!"

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

So we're calling it "Reverse Bob Sorin" right?

80's Metal Album Cover Sorin

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Wow yeah those Soldier and Spirit tokens are going in my cube asap.

We know what all the tokens come from except for the Insect and Ooze, right?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Molybdenum posted:

Whoa madness cards go into exile if you cast them for madness? wtf how do madness creatures enter play that reminder text is dumb

It goes into exile when you discard it, but if you choose to cast it it goes through the normal motions (stack->graveyard for a spell, stack->battlefield for a permanent).

Andrast posted:

Aside from the coolness factor, are there any relevant gameplay reasons why the Castigator isn't just a 4/5?

Synergy with Doran, of course

E: Assault Formation will still be in Standard :getin:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Kraus posted:

It's a contradiction in terms. If it's not on the battlefield, it's not a permanent.

The same is true for the supertypes, which is why we have the "creature card" wording in the first place. "Permanent card" is perfectly normal wording used on 56 existing cards.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

btw according to the flavor article the gitrog is literally hypnotoad

which...doesn't come through in the card at all :I

Could've been something Sisters of Stone Death-ish, forcing creatures to attack/block into its deathtouch.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

This looks exactly like something out of the first areas of Bloodborne.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

That's really unexciting un-mythic-feeling green mythic there. It looks like a card that got nerfed in development somehow at the last minute.

Right? That last ability had to have started as something else. A one-shot ramp effect is incredibly underwhelming on a 6-drop.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Rinkles posted:

The new delver

You know, I appreciated it mostly for the flavor on first glance, but this is actually a really solid limited card. It might not always take out their best creature, but you'll usually be able to force something of theirs into a profitable block for you, and then you get a 3/4 to boot. For a single mana.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Rinkles posted:

The "gold" captains

The green activated ability granting Indestructible seems a bit weird

Interestingly, they've gone with a cycle of non-creatures for the enemy color draft uncommons:

Seems like GU has a strong investigate theme and UR has some spells-matter, but the others seem less clear.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Stormgale posted:

Origins rotates with Khans 3 when the set after eldrich moon comes in right?

Right. Khans and Fate rotate out as Shadows comes in, Dragons and Origins rotate out with the following block.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Skyl3lazer posted:

e; WEREBEAR

Biggest flavor text downgrade in history

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Barry Shitpeas posted:

That doesn't explain what the CMC of a meld card is, for starters

That's hilarious to me. They change the rules to say "oh it's easy, a transformed card keeps the CMC of its front side," then immediately introduce a mechanic where two cards transform into one.

I think the only options here are it's zero or it's the sum of the two melded cards, and given they just changed other DFCs away from being zero, my money's on sum.

E: Or they treat is as basically a split card, where the CMC is two and five. So to anything looking for the total CMC, it's seven, but for anything looking for a specific CMC, it matches as either CMC two or CMC five.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 27, 2016

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
It's too bad Delver already did The Fly because a meld version would've easily been the best way to use the mechanic.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
The most interesting common in the set

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Brisela makes an appearance on stream, immediately dies to topdecked Tragic Arrogance :negative:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

in case you can't figure out that you're supposed to play hamlet captain with humans

I like how both the text and the graphic imply that you don't have to attack with Hamlet Captain to get the bonus. So not only is it pointless, it's also misleading.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

BJPaskoff posted:

https://www.facebook.com/MagicTheGathering/posts/10157125665350307:0

Kirwan's is three hours from me. :( The set releases six days later, so shouldn't we have the full spoiler on Friday the 19th? If that is how they're doing supplementary set spoilers, that is. If they are, maybe the exclusive preview cards are for Kaladesh?

It's just over an hour from me, but yeah of all places in NY I wonder why that one.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

When are people just going to post things from the old random card generator that just generated random poo poo

I'm not the only one who remembers that thing, right? It was great

You mean this one? I love how it always runs the gamut from completely nonsensical to completely busted, occasionally stumbling on an actually interesting design.

Tribal Instant - Arcane Bird (blue)
Choose one: return target Wizard to its owner's hand; or target red creature can't be blocked until end of turn and that creature gains ''1: until end of turn, if you would lose life, instead that many Birds are artifacts in addition to their other types until end of turn'' until end of turn
--Even the most awesome lunch can defeat
– Vitenka, the true knight

Converted mana cost: 2

Instant (green)
add 2GGG to your mana pool
Converted mana cost: 2

Creature - Human Samurai (2/1, white)
bushido X, where X is the number of Samurai spells cast this turn
When ~this~ enters the battlefield, attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of that Equipment doesn't change.)
--His queen may catch even the most beautiful man
Though world fails greater than the beautiful heat
– Tasil the Cold, Initiate Wizard of the Opal Marsh

Converted mana cost: 3

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

dragon enthusiast posted:

Wonder what's on that card just out of frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble