Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Vib Rib posted:

drat, I guess guns and shootings are a problem now.
It's nice of him to point out the Dems' admirable slaying of fiscal restraint in a time of economic crisis, since that is in fact the right response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress all the way off.
I wasn't sure about this one.

I mean first of all I resent the whole, overblown "antifa are the terrorist vanguard of the left" thing that the right wing are always trying to pull.

BUT in this comic it does seem that they're saying that riotous behaviour may be bad (giving Uncle Sam a whuppin'), but it's the authoritarian president who is kneeling on America's neck. Could be a clumsy attempt at a good message.

Edit - never mind, I saw the twitter post, the cartoonist is a total cuntidiot.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 3, 2020

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Grimdude posted:

I've been with this thread for like 100 years but this might be the worst cartoon I've ever seen.

"Look how awful this thing is! Defacing George Floyd's grave/legacy! Just imagine if they did this thing I'm depicting!"
The real vandalism is his use of the MS Paint spraycan tool.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Taerkar posted:

All right wing talking points exist in a vacuum.
Someone told them that no sufficiently powerful system can be both complete and consistent, and the one thing they knew for sure is that they wanted to be sufficiently powerful.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

10 I'll take a probation for saying I want to beat Tom Stiglich until candy comes out
What does that cartoon even mean? I need a button to hit that says "easily offended"? Does it activate any kind of response or do I just feel better by hammering the button, thereby engage in a ritual act of self-identification as "easily offended"?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

seiferguy posted:

The Everett Massacre was a peaceful protest of unions wherein the police started firing upon the protestors, killing several of them. It's almost as if history repeats itself :thunk:
Is that Brawndo caption another of Ben Garrison's tiny clues that he's been running a false flag on right-wing cartooning his whole career?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

No human has ever been killed by a hammerhead shark, and there have been 17 total unprovoked hammerhead attacks on humans in the last four hundred and fifty years.
Wow he really stumbled on an incredibly powerful metaphor then.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lurdiak posted:

It's basically copaganda, so it has bite, but in the wrong direction.

At one point it makes a direct analogy between black people being murdered by the state and police being killed by criminals because the government made it harder to pull out their guns.
Where does it make that analogy? Didn't that turn out to be a deliberate effort to put more power in the hands of police...who were secretly the government wing of the KKK?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

sexpig by night posted:

the watchmen show literally is so dedicated to its weird faux-woke thing it has no actual ideology. It made a character explicitly meant to be a KKK member to show how vigilantes are not even a full step removed from them, who also literally loved Hitler, a black guy just for a weird twist to be all 'see, there ARE other black heroes in this world's history but the racists made him...praise Hitler...' You can't call it copaganda because literally nobody in the writing room understood politics enough to be capable of any form of propaganda
What? The police force was a secretly racist institution that used black cops as cover. It shows Angela's grandfather being nearly killed by Klan officers because he arrested a racist, and having to kill them to prevent them from perpetrating a terrorist attack against black people, insidiously designed to masquerade as black people going crazy and destroying their own neighbourhoods. It's literally (figuratively) saying that racist policing creates and feeds on the appearance of violent disorder in the black community, and it goes on to say that that astonishing level of racism has only pretended to fade from the police force in the modern day, while secretly the whole police force is run by racist would-be fascists

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Faustian Bargain posted:

Why is this even a comic? It seems like every few weeks we see them just floating in the air with the author's facebook status as a conscience stream.
Because it makes the creator feel like they're making something on par with the moments when Calvin and Hobbes fly out of their billy-cart/sled, but without having to draw and watercolour all the difficult landscapes.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Is he saying the cops are an organised criminal gang who can't be defunded because of their hold on the levers of power in local and state politics?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Chamale posted:

Even better, she was on the Space Shuttle, so she was only in space for a week. "Are 100 tampons enough?" The Russians used a cloth pad.
You make it sound like a tampon is the menstrual equivalent of the Fisher Space Pen.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Cat Mattress posted:

Those masks do result in a reduction of oxygen intake, not because oxygen is too big to go through but because it largely blocks airflow (which is the entire point) so you get a pocket of stale air in front of your nose and mouth. It's not comparable to a balaclava or burka or whatever because it's not the same degree of filtration nor the same tight fitting on the face.

Obviously you shouldn't wear a mask 24/7, nor when there are no real reason to wear one. But in a crowded area, especially when not in the open air (such as, inside a shop for example)? Then yeah, wear the loving mask. It's definitely an annoyance but that and washing your hands regularly are how we can reduce the virulence of this disease. The sooner the pandemic is over, the sooner we can forget about the masks and go back to not washing our hands constantly like we have OCD.
Surgical and cloth masks of the kind being advocated for population-level control of COVID spread do not meaningfully affect oxygen intake. The lungs of any reasonably healthy person (i.e. not suffering from lung disease that impair oxygen transfer, like emphysema) are better than they need to be to get oxygen into the blood. When you put on a mask and breathe through it for hours through any normal activity your blood oxygen saturation will remain normal. They also don't significantly increase work of breathing. I've worn them while doing various grades of mental and physical work for up to seven hours at a stretch.

Nobody is being asked to wear them 24/7. You don't need to wear it in your own home or while sleeping, and if you're outside with nobody near by there's no real harm in taking a rest from the mask either.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

RodShaft posted:

Oh Dilbert...

Remember 2016 when Scott Adams was playing the "I'm not saying I'm a Trump supporter but in a purely unbiased sense here's why all his ideas are amazing and he's going to win" card?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
How could you write "...harshest possible ways" and not pause for a second and think "hang on, I'm talking about losing your highly paid platform for public speech, not getting your neck knelt on until you die".

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Johnny Walker posted:

I doubt even a hardcore right winger would put Obama as "worst ever" on a list. He'd be below at least Carter, if not Clinton.
The worst president is always the most recent democrat, second only to whoever looks like being the next democrat.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Discendo Vox posted:

Fauci's genuinely been a colossal rear end in a top hat in how he's been handling all of this, by being way too visible in the press and making a large number of contradictory statements that have fed terrifying press coverage to no benefit. This needs to be recognized, even if it has been better than and generally aligned against the administration's even worse handling of the process. In any other administration he'd have been asked to resign after he appeared on an AM radio show and gave them a soundbite endorsing hydroxychloroquine based on a profound misunderstanding of clinical ethics...which is something he did back in March. Someone in Fauci's position really shouldn't be doing direct press engagements in the first place. His behavior is part of what lets Garrisson attack him, and has hurt the ability of other public health voices to address the issue or point to the administration's abdication of responsibility.
Bullshit. Fauci has dealt honestly with an evolving crisis full of uncertainties, and unlike most of America's leaders at various levels he has tried to save American lives. I can't even imagine what it's like for him, trying to foster sound public policy while embedded in an administration that is willfully doing everything wrong, and even leaking against him, misleadingly, to try to paint him as incompetent. You sound like you're living in a fantasy world where the pandemic arises on Tuesday morning and by Tuesday afternoon a bunch of sexily-lit scientists have sequenced it and released an antidote that spreads through the water system to save everyone. Fauci, from the start, has been dealing with incomplete information and new, emerging facts that often challenge previous medical orthodoxy (e.g. the utility of surgical masks against a respiratory virus when used en masse). And unlike someone working in a purely scientific capacity, he does not have the luxury or waiting until the facts are established before giving an answer, because very day 300 million people want to know how to deal with the pandemic, and his job every day, whether in front of the press or through policy work, is to answer that question.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
"Ha ha look at that stupid Donkey standing up for a principle even though it doesn't really serve his self interest!"

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Evilreaver posted:

Send them this image!

Warning: brain poison. Viewing this image will cause you to try it, and you will break your hand!

You can feel a similar misery by closing your fingers and then extending your ring finger by itself (gently).

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

ungulateman posted:

not pictured: the enormous gun the israel dove is holding
Not pictured, the Israeli dove being bigger and heavier than the Palestinian vulture and having its talons around its neck.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

I dont know posted:

Is Gorrell really going to try this? Trump was blindsided by such fastballs as, "What do you hope to accomplish in a second term?"
Remember when he flubbed "what would you say to frightened Americans?"

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

I Am Just a Box posted:

This photo gives me a disconcerting vibe. Biden's looking too directly at the camera, disconnected from the hug which the rest of the family is absorbed in. It's framed like the last shot of a TV cliffhanger, wherein we the audience realize the Bidens were fooled into rescuing the fake Joe, and his plans are ready to proceed. Tune in next week to find out if they realize their mistake in time.

When people are happy or find something funny they instinctively look to the person they care about most in their vicinity (this is something to watch out for if you’re trying to work out if someone likes you, do they look at you to share laughter?). Who was taking the picture?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

ryde posted:

It’s like a reverse pigeon hole principle. The pigeonhole principle says if you have some discrete system with x variations and you take y observations where x < y then you’ll get duplicates. In the case of Yu GI Oh cards if you have 200 cards and open 400 cards worth of packs then you’ll get duplicates.

So then he’s reversing this and saying that since we dig up multiple fossils for the same species instead of different fossils every time, we must be observing a discrete system. And if it’s a discrete system then evolution is disproven because evolution is continuous.

There’s many reasons why this argument is bad. The main one that comes to mind is that fossils just don’t happen and typically have some sort of event that causes a skeleton to be fossilized. So while the underlying evolution pattern may be continuous, the observations we have are discretized because the natural phenomena that allow us to make the observation causes that discretization. I’m sure there’s more (ie I recall that punctuated evolution was the current prevailing theory but don’t have background to know if that’s true).
I apologise if this is an unapproved derail or anything, I'm catching up, but this is the fourth or fifth response I've read that I think mischaracterises his (deeply flawed) argument.

What he's saying is not that every exemplar should be a little different, but that given there are millions of species on earth now, it's weird that with only 250,000 fossil species identified from all of previous time we would have more than one t-rex, but no representative of one of the other millions of species that must surely have existed before now. Basically the argument is that the fossil record suggests far less total past biodiversity than we would expect from hundreds of millions of years of evolution (because if there were a lot more species out there to be discovered, why are we not finding them before we find multiples of the ones we've already got).

Obvious and immediate (but probably not all the) flaws with this argument, some of which have already been pointed out against the slightly mischaracterised version of the argument:

- I have no idea if that 250,000 figure is correct
- As others have said, species are kind of made up (for sexual species they're supposed to be only able to breed with each other, but for some "species" that's only true because they happen to be geographically separated from related animals that look different enough to us to be a "different species")
- As others have said, just because two fragmentary skeletons look like the same species to us, doesn't mean we'd think that if we met the living animals. Who is to say what is normal anatomical variation by individual, by age, by sex etc and what marks a radically different animal? Maybe scaly t-rexes and feathery t-rexes both existed? :iiam:
- There might be really good reasons why we have multiples of some species and none of others. Particular times and places are more likely to produce discernible fossils
- Really how well can you tell one tiny shellfish from another by looking at a rock speckled with all their imprints?

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 24, 2020

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Terrible Opinions posted:

The other super obvious one that the animals that represent the overwhelming majority of biodiversity on earth, insects and small of soft-bodied ocean life, don't fossilize well. There is no reason to believe that would be any different in earlier eras.

Yeah it's a bit like shining a torch into your backyard at night and saying "weird that only animals with retroreflective eyes exist in the world, seems like biology might all be bullshit!".

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Pants Donkey posted:

He is really becoming unhinged lately. Also Agenda 30 I think is referring to the 2030 Agenda which is related to climate change and sustainability.

quote:

From Ben Garrison's whacko expanded universe:

PS. For years the Left has proclaimed “My Body My Choice” when it comes to abortions. Shouldn’t that apply to getting vaccines too?

For years the right wing has proclaimed that people are obliged to make medical sacrifices to preserve the lives of (unborn) others. Shouldn't that apply to getting vaccines too?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
How does someone make that cartoon with a straight face?

"How come nearly half, but LESS THAN half of voters think the election was stolen?! Mighty suspicious!"

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

there wolf posted:

Isn't Jung like Freud at this point where actual psychiatry rejects him as a bunch of garbage?
I don't know much about Jung, but Freud is a major historical figure, but one whose ideas no longer govern. You could compare him to an important eighteenth or nineteenth century physicist who threw up a lot of important ideas that advanced the field, but whose explanations of the world have since been replaced. Ideas like the plum pudding model of the atom. Psychodynamics was a provocative and important contribution to the question of how to treat mental illness, it has just been mostly supplanted by better science.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Nenonen posted:

Sunk coast, more like

Enough of this sunk coast thalassy, back to cartoons.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Pants Donkey posted:

This is just...what? :psyduck: First, I cannot think of a high-ranking democrat who has really kicked around the idea of federal prosecution. Biden is assuredly going to pull a Ford (or I guess an Obama since there will be no pardon) with some “to allow for healing” BS reasoning. Like, weren’t you critical of Bush getting off free for his crimes? I get that war crimes are way more grievous, but jesus christ Trump is nonetheless a corrupt mess who has gotten plenty of Americans killed.
Let me answer a question with a question: is there a single instance of Ted Rall approving of anything done by anyone who had the power to do anything?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Elysiume posted:

The radical left is the only thing keeping that elephant from drowning.

The radical left is the only thing preventing the rising seas from consuming civilisation.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Poor old Agrajag :(

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Iirc it was around #6 that people started raising their eyebrows. It was so much about him rather than her, and he clearly misunderstood the doctors diagnostic questioning as judgemental. And why wouldn't a clerk tell him that? It was just such an off cartoon with even a little thought.

Before that people gave him the benefit of the doubt. But the inner Rall shows through.... He can't help but make things about him given the slightest chance.
I quite enjoyed a lot of things about those cartoons, but I also got a bit irritated by that one. If you're halfway through writing a comic about how poo poo the professionals are at dealing with your mother's dementia, you should probably pause and take a look back at your other comics about how hard it is for you to deal with your mother's dementia. The professionals aren't magical fairy healers, they're human beings doing their best to care for people with whom they have no prior personal relationship.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Jedit posted:

As I recall it's actually the market value of GW the company that is greater, not the turnover.
Yeah they can make plastic miniatures forever, but fish are going to run out soon.