Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

facetoucher cat posted:

So annoyed. We've come down with some bug at our house. Even the cats are sick with a respiratory thing. Of course my brain immediately thinks I'm dying of covid (I'm not) so just to be clear I'm getting a test tomorrow. Since the days blur together I'm having to go through my posts and pictures to piece together where I've been

Would like a single day where my fight or flight responses are not set off

These stupid murder weather systems keep making the barometer go straight up then straight down then repeat the last few days and today I woke up with some congestion and an all day headache. Even felt a little dizzy earlier too! Pretty sure it's just the weather because I'm not sure I've ever seen the pressure slope that steep before, but yeah, cool to wonder about every off day for over a year and counting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

facetoucher cat posted:

Oh yeah we're getting possible tornadoes tonight with flooding so lmao

The weather is dumb. Thank you. This helped for some reason

I'm glad it helped! I hope you feel better tomorrow :)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Steve Yun posted:

I vaguely recall a study that said the exact opposite like 6-9 months ago

Google news sent me to an article about the new study yesterday and these results actually came from a team in Germany researching the weakness aspect previously reported. They concluded that no actually there might be Neanderthal genes that help. IIRC the weakness genes were on chromosome 3 and these sweet new buff genes are on chromosome 13. I'll try to find it again

Edit: Ooops, 12th choromosome, not 13: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/other/539323-genetic-mutation-inherited-from-neanderthals-could-help-protect

Forseti has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Feb 18, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

fosborb posted:

this is also a good chart using the same data

i guess

from: Reopening Florida schools followed by uptick in COVID-19 infections, Ben-Gurion U. study
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-01/aabu-rfs010521.php

Why does the rate start out lower before the schools open for the remote kids? I guess just because they're probably from wealthier homes?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

fosborb posted:

the parents choosing remote learning are likely to be safer in other areas of life as well

Oh yeah. That makes sense too

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thoguh posted:

Still dunno why they are so worried about how many people want the jab when there is a year long backlog of people who want the jab but can't get one yet because there aren't enough to go around.

If they pretend to be worried about that they get to jump to the front of the line and brag about it in the name of encouraging dipshits to get it

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Gonna laugh when some youtuber does it with like ziploc bags and a dremel. Or China just builds 10 factories in a week with a giant 3d printer

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

smoobles posted:

When a USA politician or official says "this isn't possible" what they mean is "wow, sounds kinda expensive, idk...."

Also why the gently caress shouldn't we double our output even if it comes after the 600m doses are delivered? We have to vaccinate the whole planet you dumb fucks, and probably once a year boosters.

All of these people are dumb fucks including Fauci

Hey! It takes time to figure out what your various frat buddies can supply for a no bid contract!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Koirhor posted:

listen I’m just saying doctor isn’t even really a skill intensive job and will be replaced by a pill dispensing robot soon anyways

high blood sugar?! metformin and stop eating
high blood pressure?! exercise and stop drinking
feeling down due to the systemic failures of capitalism?! have some SSRI’s, no you can’t have fun pills stop asking!

that’ll be $1400

They're already trying to replace them with physician extenders lol

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Makes me curious, do they actually make enough flu vaccine for everyone to get it? Or do they just assume that a shitload of people won't get it every year and make enough for whatever the trendline predicts?

I assume the latter :capitalism:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ngl I'm kinda terrified of them certifying it safe for kids before they jab me. Pretty sure they'd get bumped ahead of me because I don't need a babysitter (well, theoretically)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Nocturtle posted:

Haha that reminds me of a recent Fauci quote:

Yes God help us if we build up extra production capacity that we might need if things don't go exactly as planned. That would be just the worst.

About the only positive thing about this timeline is at the very least kids are likely to get updated versions of vaccines with better coverage for the variants.

Right?

It's just too bad mRNA isn't an exciting and likely broadly applicable tech and those factories would be useless

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Shipon posted:

holy gently caress, hats off to president xi that's a fantastic bit

He's a good man. And thorough

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
I went with "neurological disorder" when I signed up. ADHD counts for that, right :v:

This is VA though so it's "don't call us, we'll call you". No idea when people in their 30s with underlying conditions are up (or even if that's an underlying condition that counts anywhere), but they send me an annoying text every week to tell me that yes, I'm signed up.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

SchnorkIes posted:

i hate texting for work, we're on the clock, just call

Me texting/emailing/IMing for work vs calling depends on if I want there to be a record or not

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

SchnorkIes posted:

I think the chain pharmacies are outside the normal system, they were when I got my fat goon shot in VA

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. The one nearby is a Walgreens now and I think so are all the others around here (Augusta county).

I've also got a dumb residency thing going on I think... I lived in Houston until a few months ago but then my long term relationship ended and I moved back here with my parents hoping to ride out the pandemic by spring (lol). I never bothered to update my license or anything because I didn't exactly want to go hang out at the DMV if I didn't have to. So technically I still live in Houston and have Texas BlueCross for health insurance and still see my old doc through telemedecine. Predictably, dotting i's and crossing t's isn't in my wheelhouse so not looking forward to that whole mess.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

RBC posted:

i wasnt expecting to like this video as much as i did

Lol that was fantastic.

:freep: : "People are recording this!"
:cop: : "I'm recording this."

:cop: : "Are you trying to speak spanish to people???"

:freep: : "This is what happens when you don't wear a mask people!!!!"

:cop: : "*sigh* Jesus chri" *video cut*

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Just got back from a 3.5hour each way trip to North Carolina from VA to get my 1st dose of moderna. When I was about halfway there, VA sent me an email saying I could sign up locally for the 17th because of course they did (also for moderna). It sounds like in VA they're in the >35 with complications now though (I stretched the truth and put "neurological disorder" on mine as I take meds for ADHD).

I got the link to sign up in NC from my cousin who works at a university there and probably is involved somehow since she's an athletic trainer and I assume could administer shots. NC doesn't seem to give any fucks about proving eligibility (and also I think they're one of the states that just doesn't have rules). I still have a Texas address and health insurance and the lady who signed me in just made small talk about her son who lives in Houston. They never asked about complicating conditions, I had marked one on the form and would have gone with hypertension if they asked. I didn't realize the cutoff numbers are as low as they are for that these days or I would have put that one on my VA form. I'm always at like 133 for the big number when I go to the doc for checkups since I'm always on both adderall and caffeine at that time of day and have just driven through Houston traffic to get to the doctor's office (although the last few visits have been medicine).

It seems like maybe a bunch of moderna is getting delivered since I got both offers within a couple days, so hopefully lots of people will be getting it soon!

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention they were vaccine a bunch of college students in NC too. And they also scheduled my second appointment then and there. The actual clinic was run really well, totally hassle free if I didn't have to drive forever to get there. I'm sure that's hit or miss though depending on where you go in the state.

Forseti has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Mar 16, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Grey Fox posted:

VA has a vaccine shipment dashboard (neat)
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines-received/

100k doses of Moderna and 180k doses of Pfizer shipped in the past couple days

Just because you seem like you may know, is there anything I should do to notify VA that I don't need it now so they can free it up for someone else? It would also be awesome if I could get the 2nd one locally, but I don't mind making the drive again, it's not so bad. Actually kind of nice since I used to take long car trips all the time but have been shut in for the last year.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Shear Modulus posted:

so is the pfizer one the good one

I was under the impression that both the mRNA ones are probably about the same but Pfizer has more data/studies about it to be able to draw confident conclusions from?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Awesome, I figured it would work itself out, but willing to go click some buttons if it gets someone else a shot a day sooner. Thanks dudes

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

At least it's not a mural of Rush Limbaugh I guess

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
I assume it's not undetectable, it just doesn't have the sequence the test looks for.

From what I understand of PCR, you basically figure out an identifying sequence, make a bit of... something, RNA or whatever, that matches it, put it on a stick, swirl it around in the sample and see if anything sticks to it (heavy artistic liberties taken here).

So whatever they are using to identify COVID isn't there anymore in these variants, but they can just figure out what they do need to look for. It's not great of course, they'll need to make new tests and I dunno if they can find something to look for that identifies the old and new or if they need multiple tests now, but it's not completely undetectable in the sense that you can't make something that does detect it

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Relevant Tangent posted:

lol the one thing that might make the government revoke their corporate charter and seize their ip

Shouldn't competition from Moderna prevent this?

(lol I know the answer is collusion)

Edit: B'oh, meant to quote the post you were quoting

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Lol are they going to use the shame lovely connected contractor they used to gently caress up the healthcare.gov launch website causing some competent nerd to spend a weekend making one that didn't suck?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Insanite posted:

where the hell did the "it's not cases we're trying to control--it's hospitalizations" line come from?

I think the grain of truth here is that this is the reason given for vaccinating the ancient first. They're the ones most likely to end up in the hospital and if they're not clogging up the hospitals the mortality rate drops sharply.

Of course that's just for the priority of giving vaccines, you still need to actually lock down until everyone has it and the openerup set is still stupid as gently caress

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

brugroffil posted:

I thought they were fine for people with moderate or worse symptoms? not as good as rtPCR though

They're good for a protocol where there's repeated sampling over time, e.g. if you test all your nurses and doctors at the hospital in the morning every single day (maybe at the start of the afternoon too). In that case it could make a big difference in population spread, though you could still miss cases. The point is that it's a lot better than flying blind if you have to be flying.

So pretty god drat useless at the door to a comedy show

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

'Bout to Dale Earnhardt this poo poo! USA! USA!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Fireside Nut posted:

yeah i wouldn't think getting an MMR booster around your actual covid shots is a good idea. The current covid vaccines all give extremely good protection so let that ride for a while.

my plan, subject to change of course, is to get an MMR booster heading into fall when my Covid antibodies from the vaccine i received in february might start to wane a bit. kind of like bridging the gap until the inevitable covid booster shot

Is there an easy way to check your vaccination history? I'm about 95% sure the answer is no, but like, even if you ask your doctor are they even likely to be able to access it if they aren't the ones that administered it?

I had a bunch of boosters in 2015 before I did a big through hike, but the ones that stand out in my mind are tetanus and hepatitis

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Fireside Nut posted:

do you know where you received the vaccines? i'm sure they would have a record of it if you call them up

Thanks, I may have to call around to look into it. I actually have an appointment with my current doc tomorrow, so I guess the first thing would be to try to remember to just ask him then.

Pretty sure I've had one or two vaccine boosters more recently where the nurse before the doctor comes in will be like "looks like you're due for whatever booster, want to take care of it now?" and after confirming it's "free" to me, I'm always like hell yeah shoot me up, but to be honest I really don't remember what those were for either.

It baffles me that people don't want to get vaccines, I always just take whatever they offer if the insurance company is paying for it to the point where I don't even remember what they've all been for. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never really had a reaction to any vaccine worse than what I imagine is caused by physically sticking a needle into my arm. Or maybe I don't have reactions because I get plenty of vaccines :shrug:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

McCracAttack posted:

It was explained to me that "medical grade" mostly has to do with how splash proof they are. If those get something splattered on them they won't protect you very well.

This is correct (source is physician friend). The blue 3M ones are medical ones and if you can see one up close, it feels a bit different. I would guess it's tyvek on the outside layer

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Real Mean Queen posted:

“Vaxzevriabodyelse with this garbage and keep the good poo poo for people you care about”

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Insanite posted:

really would just like to RV around maine right now. avoid people. eat some blueberries. maybe that makes me a monster. idk.

Nah, pretty sure that makes you a bear

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Petey posted:

anyone in NM know good hacks on getting a vaccine appt? My brother was turned away from his J&J today for not having his health insurance card on him, and the site he used for that shows nothing for a month out

Are any of the local tribes offering up vaccines to the larger public? I heard that the tribal health services were kicking rear end at deploying the vaccines and a lot of them were sticking whomever wants one at this point

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

brugroffil posted:

I don't have a personal fight in the BMI thing since I'm tall and skinny but it really is a dumb measurement outside of a narrow range. This man is slightly overweight based on BMI:

this man is even more overweight!

It's not a dumb measurement, it's a population measurement. So yeah, it means gently caress all for an individual and shouldn't be used the way most people use it, but that's not BMI's fault. It's still a problem if the BMI of 300 million people averages like 32 or whatever.

It's pretty much analogous to how a 1% kill rate for COVID is super bad for the population as a whole but not a huge risk for any given individual

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thoguh posted:

Two things are true: BMI is a terrible guage at an individual level and also that BMI is correct for any individual that claims it isn't a good indicator for them, specifically.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have implied it's worthless at the individual level, it's more of a quick n' dirty check for "should have their weight situation given closer scrutiny" but isn't a definitive measure on its own

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

MadJackal posted:

I’ll come back later with 1000 words of poignant insight into what it’s like in Modern American Medicine treating people with BMIs 35-40+.

Spoiler: they’re all fuckin’ yocked, bro.

But if they're rich enough you can just give them a cocktail of statins to keep their numbers in the safe zone and keep them going for decades!

Ever wonder why old lovely hate monster ghouls in congress live for loving ever? You're welcome, ingrates :colbert:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A part of my job is monitoring stuff like this and suicide rates were down in 2020 compared to 2019 even though behavioral health utilization was up.

More people looking for counseling or seeing shrinks, less people topping themselves.

I've read that a big crisis like this can counterintuitively lead to easing depression because it can give people a purpose and a feeling of camaraderie too in a lovely society like ours where I personally think a lot of depression comes from people subconsciously grappling with how pointless their jobs are and how isolated they can be from traditional support networks

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
About 18 hours out from my second moderna dose, I feel like I walked there and back to get it and my victory tacos may have been a mistake, but all in all pretty minimal side effects so far. Definitely more noticeable soreness than from dose one though.

Now who wants to get slutty with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Got jab #2 of Pfizer yesterday, and other than feeling like I got a good punch in the arm, the major noticeable side effect has been just incredible gas, with no change in diet. Non stop farts overnight, it was enough to wake my cat and have her give me the stink-eye.

Yeah, I just got #2 of moderna yesterday and I don't have any severe side effects, but I think my victory food truck tacos may have been a mistake. I was also dehydrated from driving there and back (~7 hours total to round trip to NC) and skipped lunch to make the drive faster, which was probably not a brilliant move.

Today I feel pretty stiff and like I have a pretty strong hangover with less nausea. Still not particularly interested in food though, but I did make myself eat some oatmeal this morning