Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I chuckled at the sub-Onion tier joke, then clicked and holy poo poo this is real? Fuckin' hell, America is stupid.

shyduck posted:

Frail Dying Rapist
:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

one of the first comments is pointing out how much worse the feds changing services right before restarting loans makes this look

it already looked “lose a generation” bad, now with added “we sold your loans off, don’t worry nothing will change, pay up you loving peasant

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

the_steve posted:

Turns out some rando a thousand miles away from you did pretty well for themselves this year, which means you must be doing good too and therefore don't need any help. America is back and brunch is served, you're welcome.

it’s me, I’m the rando, sorry not sorry

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Man DND is loving stupid. Serves me right for posting there
For real, I can’t believe how recently I thought that was the place for serious reasonable discussion, and CSPAM was some nebulous bad place.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

etalian posted:

The story of the MeToo Charity was really hilarious and a classic example of liberal hubris.

Like how people in the charity got threatened for not doing enough to Andrew Cuomo positive press coverage via positive fluff pieces.
This sounds like a trainwreck I missed, deets?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

For better or worse, people like that are electorally important. Only about 12% of voters are true swing voters, but Biden won by 5% in 2020 and smaller margins in individual states, so if you are losing the bulk of that 12%, then that is a problem.

It's also one of those situations where it is hard to get non-political people to give detailed assessments about politics, but non-political people are also the majority of voters and it's a lot more informative to dig deeper into peoples' beliefs than to just have them answer "Yes" or "No" on a poll. It's hard to get people to verbalize their issues and their perceived sources of them, so it's interesting to just let people free flow about their beliefs.

They don't have to be smart, correct, or even coherent. But, it is interesting to just get it from the horse's mouth without a filter.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Your total lack of added contribution aside, this one's pretty interesting because 1) notionally the rules were in place to prevent this and 2) notionally the assholes on the ground should have been severely punished for breaking them. The first one obviously didn't happen, and as far as the article can tell, the second didn't either.
“I can’t argue against this, PROBATION”

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I mean there’s also the decades Gygax spent comparing Native Americans to orcs, in that genociding either one is a morally justified act

efb

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

this is not a picture of a human being, this is a screen from some early PS4 alien possession cutscene

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I've heard of unconscious bias before, it's hardly a new concept, my point is that I don't understand it because it doesn't make much sense. How does one have an unconscious belief? I think that the phenomenon being described is something that people consciously experience: you consciously experience having a negative emotional reaction, or predicting whatever negative behavior, and then suppress those feelings because you believe they're racist or whatever is applicable to your reaction. The "unconscious belief" is really a prediction of what to expect based on previous experiences.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

D&D is full of smart people who understand what they’re talking about, that’s for sure.

[Edit: According to Webster’s dictionary, “charisma” means…]

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Serious posting for a second, everyone is taking the piss about how much better D&D’s gotten with new moderation, right?

I used to post way too much in the Trump/Current Event threads and now I don’t even lurk, it’s all highschool debate club shitheads smugging at each other over who can be the most detached and uncaring lib, moooods come probe this poster for the greatest sin (besides disagreeing with a thread superstar), giving a poo poo

It used to be good for keeping up with news if nothing else, but not anymore. Can’t talk about news, this is the Current Events thread we don’t do that here :jerkbag:

anyway, I’ll have a chocolate frosty and a Baconator, I have a coupon

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao, DCCC's own leaked slide deck tell dems to run away from the left.

The data showed that Democrats could mostly regain the ground lost to Republicans if they offered a strong rebuttal to the political hits. When faced with a “defund the police” attack, for instance, the presenters encouraged Democrats to reiterate their support for police. And on immigration, they said Democrats should deny support for “open borders or amnesty,” and talk about their efforts to keep the border safe.
Didn’t every single D who tried this lose re-election

surprised they even have to advise pols, it’s a known losing tactic so they should be already 100% committed

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

What are the lowest approval numbers in modern times, has Biden dipped below Cheney yet? best as I remember, no one has.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

This is important, please read: Disinformation Campaigns

You will read a lot of content, it's important to view it all with a critical eye.

This includes solicitations for money, downloading an app to challenge "misinformation," posts meant to enrage that are from entirely different places outside of Ukraine.

Use common sense. Donate to established charities like the Red Cross, fact check something that looks odd, trust reliable sources.

What is happening in Ukraine is heartbreaking and our gut reaction is to want to help, to do something.

But as the reporter above noted, this has been going on a very long time, and social engineering has become incredibly more sophisticated.

Stay safe, be smart. And let's hope this gets resolved before some asshat pushes a button.
same

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

🤔🤔🤔

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

can't believe this whole time Build Back Better was referring to the police

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Wasn’t one of the MST3K hosts a proto C.H.U.D. and that’s why he wasn’t invited to Rifftrax?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Ostiosis posted:

There's no way we haven't cracked that by now if not months ago
Reminder that the CDC changed reporting requirements so that Biden could declare the plague over in the SotU.

It’s already happened for sure.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Also mega-lol at the bad thread declaring that no one REALLY works from home - Biden said so! - in a forum of computer touchers. Lived experience?? sounds like 20 Pinocchios to me.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Massive :lol: at every regular poster in the Bad Thread getting probated and it getting even worse somehow

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

:perfect:

mcmagic posted:

Look at this loving weirdo doing jewishface for some reason.

https://twitter.com/RitchieTorres/status/1502819415506702339
“My friend, standing just off-camera and definitely a real person who is not me”

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Someone ITT would probably know, who bought out Snopes and Politifact and turned them into their current “TWENTY ONE PINOCCHIOS, SIR” dweeb-rear end forms?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I can’t believe the Bad Thread has spent over 24 hours of the regulars making GBS threads themselves and rolling in it, while the only mod active so is laser-focused on shutting down Tara Reade chat they didn’t realize public threats after a single on-topic post would just Streisand Effect the whole thing. Now that we’re in day two, they’re posting “oooo, wait until Dad gets home!! :argh:” at all mentions of Reade while allowing the rest of the thread to stay derailed

oh wait no, of course I can believe that, it would be dumb to expect anything but

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

I can’t believe the Bad Thread has spent over 24 hours of the regulars making GBS threads themselves and rolling in it, while the only mod active so is laser-focused on shutting down Tara Reade chat they didn’t realize public threats after a single on-topic post would just Streisand Effect the whole thing. Now that we’re in day two, they’re posting “oooo, wait until Dad gets home!! :argh:” at all mentions of Reade while allowing the rest of the thread to stay derailed

oh wait no, of course I can believe that, it would be dumb to expect anything but

Okay, this was in fact the funniest possible result of all the “you’re gonna be sorry when Daddy Koos gets home!!”-posting

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

“Why wasn’t ICE present at this spot where dangerous right-wing militia members were abducting children??

Hold on, I’m being handed a card with updated information…”

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

For the briefest of moments I thought the admin actually did something, but no

he means “workers themselves taking the risk of turning mandatory anti-union meetings into a debate”, but couched it as some kinda official action against them :rolleyes:

Doesn’t this level of active interference by a government official get cases thrown out? or is that just for rich yeah okay answered my own question

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Smythe posted:

i just finished reading habermas The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere for class and one thing that stood out to me was the concept that industrial capitalism killed reading and drinking groups and stuff, and then extrapolating from that the og parties were just overgrown squads of bros who chilled out, talked politics, and grouped up to push policies they wanted based on their own political philosphy. once capitalism killed the roots of the party the actual driving power within them was hollowed out and they were easily subverted by the forces of capital into yet another tool of capitalist power and wealth accumulation.

im not sure if i interpreted this book correctly but thats what it made me think. the discussion on the, uh, i forget the exact phrasing but "third space" was cool. like back in the day u had 3 things to do, generally: work, home, and your tavern drinking/philosophy buddies. he contends that industrial capitalism destroyed the third space by mingling the private and public spaces. i think.

Reminder that the “moral outrage” Prohibition was enacted to end wasn’t alcohol like you were probably taught, but that too many ETHNICS were gathering in pubs and talking to each other and getting ideas like “forming unions” and “organizing as a political bloc opposed to their treatment as second-class citizens”

America has always been racist and awful, and you’re carrying decades of unexamined propaganda if you were raised there :911:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

PeterCat posted:

That thread has devolved to being 5 pedants "well actually'ing" each other.

I'm also about 90% certain one of the posters is on someone's payroll as I can't imagine putting that much effort into daily multiple long form posts that are read by like 20 people.
TBH I love it; on my occasional check-ins to remind myself not to bother with that thread, I get to see awful pedants sniping at each other and also how long all of them are on probation.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

yellowcar posted:

vilrat dying on the african continent was definitely ordained by god as punishment

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I joined to call my governor a 'lil wheelchair bitch' and get banned actually
cowards; I joined to get a free soda by liking an overpriced sandwich place

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

and why just menthol
like it's intentionally designed to needlessly piss people off
at least it’s finally “fixing” the blatant hypocrisy of Obama’s ban on flavored tobacco (mostly cloves made in Indonesia, which a tiny fraction of smokers consume) except for menthols (which the cigarette companies here make) that he personally smoked along with half the country

that poo poo was blatant

Grey Fox posted:

https://twitter.com/CommonBreed/status/1520026079171338240 there's like 20 replies like this lmao, absolutely deranged khive

what the gently caress are they even talking about, I cannot parse this

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I think y’all are all misinterpreting this; Biden’s not counting himself in that statement as “we”, because he’s already on the other side of the table. :eng101:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Handmaid's Tale was (at the time) a pretty obvious spoof on the rise of the far right Christians in America along with the extreme Islamists and pointing out how similarly stupid they were. That was my take on it but I think that context is gone for most people now.
Isn’t it also written with a frame of “here’s a story about the bad old times, then things got better through the forward march of progress by [FOOTAGE MISSING]”?

no need to even VOTE, things just always get better inevitably

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

He didn’t actually take his paycheck in crypto, though, just talked about doing it to try and juice the numbers and it plummeted instead

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Go ahead, tell me more about how exploitative it is to throw $40bn at unrelated poo poo while Americans are starved and dying.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

They should elect a Democrat as mayor

Edit: oh lol it's about money. If they're in uniform they get paid. If they're out of uniform but attend they're not "on-duty" so it's just a work field trip.
lol that MAYOR BREED is fighting the gays, did George Lucas write this season

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

At least I can still count on Dems being too racist to run an Adams/Lightfoot ticket for prez :911:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah dems would never run a black guy for president
:fishmech:
Lightfoot is also black (and lesbian (and loving loves boot (maybe even more than Adams does))); there wouldn't be a Biden to reassure libs that a Respectable White Man™ has everything under control and nothing will fundamentally change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Seems like it all went wrong at the beginning consideration that she accomplished nothing
Nothing? sounds like you forgot all the Lessers she had assaulted and jailed so she could fly the Confederate Flag in California