Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

My retroshame is that I used to love to collect and play console games about 10 years ago, but it's all gone now. The silliest thing was probably the RGB monitors; I had two. One was normal, the other was left on its side for vertical shmup ports (mostly Saturn, some Dreamcast). They were small thingies - the ones that people hooked Amigas up to. These days, I doubt there are many working units left in the wild.

Anyway, I had an impressive collection of games for lots of consoles (including a bought-new-in-2002 Turbo Duo, I loved that drat thing) that I've since sacrificed to the eBay gods. Poor life choices made me need the money. :smith:

At least I can live vicariously through this thread. Keep on :retrogames: for my sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I lurk this thread but don't have much to offer because I ebayed all my retro stuff years ago. In fact, since the d-pad on my Logitech USB controller went out about a year ago, I haven't even played any games at all. So I browse youtube for my fix. Figured I'd share some of the channels I subscribe to that have good playthroughs.

Replay Burners. Great channel with tons of games, mostly arcade, but there are some console titles here and there. I like this one the best for two reasons: 1) the runs are done by actual experts at the game, from what I can tell. Deaths and whatnot are left in for a more genuine experience. 2) They use that blended-frame technique to give the illusion of a smoother framerate. Some games really pile on the flicker effects, so this allows you to see more, at the expense of a bit of blur. YMMV on this kind of visual. They also have a secondary account (RB Video Library) that has a few bonus games.

World of Longplays. They have a fuckton of stuff across all systems past and present, but a lot of older-generation stuff suffers in quality due to the 30 FPS cap. No blended frames here. Also, apparently the runs are tool-assisted when possible, which is less fun to watch, IMO.

SaikyoMog. Just a dude who posts full video walkthroughs (sans commentary). I think I remember reading he's got some kind of terminal illness so he makes these to pass the time. Has lots of time-consuming runs like RPGs and whatnot.

HCBailly. This is more of a Let's Play thing. While a lot of non-SA Youtube LPers are absolutely terrible, this guy isn't bad. His enthusiastic commentary might be off-putting to some, but I enjoy it. He's pretty good at explaining what's going on. Also, he does his homework on the games - lots of sidequests and secrets and stuff. All videos are in small bite-size chunks of 20 minutes or so. I think he records/uploads one every day in the morning.

Seahawk0027. I watch mostly for his shmup vids, some of which are played on the highest difficulty to show off I guess. Has games in other genres as well. This run of Gradius III arcade is amazing recovery and success on the last stage on the next-to-last life, I highly recommend it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

iastudent posted:

On the top is Sky Shark, and the bottom is Twin Cobra. Some of my favorite all-time shmups and I'm beyond happy to own the boards of them now.

Hell yes, I love Toaplan. Their latter games are especially goregeous. Hopefully they're not too expensive to acquire.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

So. Recently, Bizhawk got a good quality PS1 emulator core that doesn't upscale graphics (so everything's PS1 native res), and a friend of mine had a lot of success playing SOTN for the first time through it. It's gotten me nostalgic for 32-bit 2D stuff, so I'm looking for recommendations in regards to good 2D (especially sprite-based) PS1 games. I'm not picky about genre.

PS1 has a surprisingly good shmup library:

- DonPachi/DoDonPachi (better ports than the Saturn versions)
- All the Konami deluxe packs (Gradius, Salamander, Parodius, Twinbee)
- Gradius Gaiden
- Einhander (2.5D)
- Raiden Project/Raiden DX
- R-Types
- R-Type Delta (2.5D)
- Raystorm (2.5D)
- Night Raid (2.5D)
- XII Stag/Psyvariar/Shikigami No Shiro (same arcade hardware as Night Raid [Taito G-Net], but I'm not sure if they got PS1 ports)
- Sonic Wings Special (better than the Saturn port)
- Strikers 1945 II (identical to Saturn port, US version drops the "II" in the name and tate mode)
- G Darius (2.5D)
- Capcom Generations 1 (1942, 1943, '43Kai)
- Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 (Tiger Heli, Kyukyoku Tiger, Twin Cobra)

Not-shmups:
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Castlevania Chronicles
- Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move 4
- Alundra
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC and Saturn ports are better, but this is still good)
- Mega Man X4-X6
- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- Oddworld series
- Umihara Kawase Shun
- Strider 2 (2.5D, pack includes arcade-perfect Strider 1 port)
- Mortal Kombat Trilogy
- The Lunar remakes
- Capcom Generations 2 (Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super GnG)
- Guilty Gear
- Legend of Mana
- NBA Jam: TE
- Star Ocean 2 (battles are 2.5D)
- Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (DC port is better, but still good)
- Tales of Destiny
- Tales of Eternia (US version called Tales of Destiny II)

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 13, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

So I heard that Castlevania Chronicles was a port of an X68000 remake of Castlevania 1, but I wasn't expecting it to be this faithful...

Not that I'm complaining, mind. The MIDI stuff is way better than the terrible redbook remixes in Arrange Mode.

I like some of the arrange mode tracks, they're... different. Techno-y dance house remixes or something. Like Vampire Killer and Wicked Child. One that stands out, though, is Moon Fight, with its awesome groovy slap bass (bassist, can't help it).

While the Roland GS module has better quality (and some bonus fills even), I like the LA versions overall the best, especially Thrashard In The Cave. :rock: It still retains the grittiness of other notable Castlevania chiptunes.

How far in the game have you gotten? I'd say it's one of the hardest old-style CVs.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Pseudo Saturn

So the question is, what should I play on this thing?

Unless you can read Japanese, it's basically a home arcade machine. In fact, Sega had an arcade hardware platform based on it (ST-V), which meant pretty much perfect home ports such as the following:

Radiant Silvergun
Soukyugurentai
Prikura Daisakusen
Batman Forever
Cotton Boomerang
Die Hard Arcade
Shienryu
Guardian Force

Among others. If you like fighting games, there's plenty of those, a near-perfect port of Street Fighter Zero 3 being the highlight. Lots of other shmups, too - Batsugun, Strikers 1945, Battle Garegga, Layer Section/Galactic Attack, Salamander Deluxe Pack, and slowdown-free Thunder Force IV (Thunderforce Gold Pack 2) among my favorites. For the vert shmups, be sure to put your display upright on its left side for the full arcade experience :getin:. There's also a double-pack of the Dungeons & Dragons arcade games, which are awesome.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Pages and pages ago, I know. But no one commented on the real prize in this lot.... Mr. Kitty Cat! :buddy: I like your cat and you should post him in the feline thread in YOSPOS, if you haven't already (I've only read up to summer of last year).

On topic - is the Zelda 1 second quest also on the FDS version? Did Japan get a cartridge release of it?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I bought a small collection of VC games a few years ago, pretty much allowing myself one game per system. Decided on Metal Slug 3 for my Neo-Geo title. It is magnificent. A non-gamer friend of mine watched me play it once and was really impressed with the spritework and explosions.

My arcade list, shooty edition:

Outzone
Tatsujin Oh (FM Towns Marty port doesn't count)
Dogyuun
Armed Police Batrider
Battle Bakraid
Viper Phase 1
Dangun Feveron
Dimahoo
Cyvern
Thunder Dragon 2
Vasara

and finally, SPACE BOMBER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEn4QpKW5k

That intro... sure is... something. :psyduck:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

quote:

Midwest Gaming Classic

Man, I'd love to go to something like this. Thanks for the pics.

I caught a french stream yesterday playing Irem Arcade Hits and remembered that I actually bought it a few years ago. Logged into dotEmu to download it, and saw I also have Raiden Legacy and Guilty Gear Iksuka, sweet. I fire up Irem and start several games but the sound's all messed up in all of them. I mean, it plays ok, it's just choppy. Really distracting. Also my Xbox controller's D-pad can't be mapped to controls so I have to use the stick. Gross. Load up Raiden Legacy and can use the d-pad but there's random frame-skipping and I hate the way they hacked in menus to the actual games. The credit system is all sorts of busted too - I started with 3 credits, next time I had 9, and when it got to 0 it bugged out and said 99 and didn't go down from there. My thumb was sore at that point so I didn't play Guilty Gear.

It's just a shame dotEmu hosed these two releases up as they are great games. MAME is a better option, sadly.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

Gigawing for $20 :hellyeah:

Yessssssss! I love Gigawing, especially the DC port because it removes all the slowdown and has great arranged music (boss theme rocks). It's also the game that got me into shmups. I was working at a FuncoLand when it came out and we had a demo copy for customers (and employees :D) to play. This guy came up to me once while I was playing and said, "you know, the Saturn is the best system for shooters". I was like "whaaaaaa, really?". I had no idea because all I saw at the store was a dwindling amount of US releases. I wrote down a list of the ones he told me he liked. The next time a good-condition Saturn came in for trade, I boxed it up and slapped a "hold for Ofecks" sticker on it. That mint-condition model 1 Saturn eventually played a lot of great shmups (and I had an RGB monitor on its side just for the verts). It was the last thing I sold when I ditched my collection in 2007. Now Saturn shmups are worth double what I got for them then. :(

Azazell0 posted:

Here's a tangent from that fighting game discussion. How are you supposed to do the inputs in Darkstalkers' revenge (Saturn) that go in the lines of B, D, DB? It just doesn't seem like a natural input and I can't seem to get moves that use that kind of set-up off.

Isn't that just a Shoryuken in reverse? I guess it is kinda weird if your character is on the left side though.

:efb:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

(Hmmm.... as long as I've got the Xbox hooked up to my capture box, I might as well pull out something special to share. Who likes Xbox games that were Japanese exclusives?)

Shikigami No Shiro?!? :haw:

It's gotta be Metal Wolf Chaos, right? :ohdear:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Only like three people in the entire world own Metal Wolf Chaos + the hardware to play it. It is the gold standard of the retro economy.

If it's not, it will be at some point!

What do you mean by hardware, do you need something other than a modded Xbox? Maybe you're thinking of Steel Battalion (the one with the gigantic twin-stick mech controller thing).

Random Stranger posted:

No, the best version is Densha de Go! Final on the PS2. Best lines, most content, smoothest controls.

A while back I made a video where I ran through all of the PS2 games in the series along with a few from the rival series Train Simulator.

I'm watching this now. I was immediately reminded that they made special train-controls controllers for the PS1/Saturn/DC versions. I always used to see them on NCS back when I used to window shop for imports. Hahaha, they still have one - http://www.shopncsx.com/levercontroller.aspx

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Looks like Japanese Dwarf Fortress, minus pretty much all of the depth.

I found this thing yesterday, seems neat.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Key to the Kingdom is a board game I remember having as a kid and thinking it was like a video game.

Hahah, the black kid is freaking out.

I never had any cool board games like this, except one called Screaming Eagles that had to do with fighter jets. My sister always bitched and moaned when I'd want to play it, so it didn't get used much. I think the most unique thing we had was Kerplunk - a jenga-like game where you insert these plastic sticks into the side of a tall cylinder to make a barrier, then pour a bag of marbles on top. You take turns removing sticks, and the first one to dump the marbles loses.

Oh, I just rememberd now, I had Mouse Trap. That game kicked rear end. I remember playing with the goldberg machine after the game was done. We also had Guess Who, the late 80's version ("Game cards do not actually talk."). God help you if you drew a person of color, or worse, a woman. Or even worse, the woman of color. Thanks for making us resent women and minorities, MB!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Lots of mics. Do you stream? I'm the Duo who hopefully had his caps replaced.

I love your room. Please continue being awesome. :swoon:

Did you get your Giga Wing disc fixed? I was playing it in MAME last night, but the sound is kinda meeehhh. There was nothing like blasting the DC version out of my old analog stereo with the bass boost on.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Holy poo poo, d0s wins this thread.

d0s posted:

Everything except for NES/Famicom Twin and PCE is RGB SCART through component. I really need to organize my controller drawers.

Nevermind. Mod those fuckers dude.

Have you used that Namco steering controller? Ages ago when I worked at FuncoLand we had one of those come in, and I thought it was the coolest thing. Never did test it though.

Impressive showing. I'm the meowbox

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

While I still love retro games, I sold everything I had years ago. Here's what I had in 2003-ish.

Bonus Love Hina manga and Princess Bride VHS. Also liquor that I never drank. :(

Pretty dinky compared to the rest of you, but I've always been rather poor. In 2004 I moved to a new place and most video game crap was confined to a small room.

The Commodore 1084 on the right was used for vertical shmups that had tate mode. 2 on Dreamcast (Gunbird 2, Ikaruga) and a bunch on Saturn (Batsugun, Shienryu, Strikers 1945, Game Tengoku, DonPachi, Galactic Attack). All consoles had custom dongles for RGB, with one cable for each monitor that terminated in a D-sub on the console end. The DC and GC had VGA solutions. The GC VGA cable was this crazy two-part thing hacked from an official component cable that plugged into both AV and Digital outs on the console and terminated in a D-Sub so it was also an RGB cable for those games that didn't support VGA (had to be able to do progressive scan). The second part plugged into the first and was the monitor end, and had a breakout stereo miniplug that went into the computer speakers.

Room was a bit messy. Note the overflowing wastebaskets. Poor people are dirty and lazy I guess.

The bottle of nasal spray was used to prop the left 1084's power button (which was on the rear) to the on position when wedged against the wall.

The SNES controller was not a SFC original, but a 3rd party one from Ascii which was great.

The black cartridge in the Saturn was not an Action Replay with all the bells and whistles, but a simple ST-Key which defeated the region lock. I've never been that big into fighters and even back then the D&D collection was $100+ so I didn't really need a RAM expansion.

My NES was hooked up to the TV in another room, not sure where the games were kept. Probably just in a box somewhere.

The Duo was a US model purchased brand-new in 2002 from TurboZone Direct, which I believe is what TTI turned into after they took Turbo stuff off the market officially. Apparently it was one of the last ones they had available. I had it modded with RGB and a region switch, but the video had faint jailbars. When I asked my modder about them he said "that's just the way it is". I guess there have been advances in PCE/Turbo RGB since then?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know why Eurogamer decided now was the time to interview the guy who made Slap Fight MD (maybe the author just bought a copy and wants to send the price skyrocketing even higher) but I'm glad they did: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-12-death-from-above-the-making-of-slap-fight-md

Thanks for this link! A couple weeks ago I spent an afternoon reading most of shmmuplations, specifically the Toaplan stuff, and this compliments it well.

flyboi posted:

Any idea why a single game would have weird graphical problems? The sprites and everything in-game look fine without corruption just the signal looks wonky.

I was reading about SNES enhancement chips the other day, and apparently SMRPG uses the SA1, which is basically an entire additional CPU core running at triple the speed of the SNES itself, along with other upgraded capabilities. Source.

Maybe the chip draws extra power to keep itself running? Further down on that wiki page is a list of games that use it, if you have any of them to test.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

flyboi posted:

Unfortunately one of them doesn't work so I'll have to fix it but whatever, Commodore 64!

Instead of fixing it, turn it into an instrument. Also, what. :stare: Related vids had a guy who made a keytar(!) out of one, but I didn't watch it.

Caitlin posted:

And lo, my uncle who owns a production company in Chicago just said he had a few monitors I could come pick up. A few PVM-20L5s! :getin:

:aaa: your good fortune. Get two. Flip one on its side, buy Saturn/PS1/DC/PS2/X360 shmups, become gaming ninja. Or a supergun and arcade boards for ultimate. :retrogames: Highly reccomended.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

poo poo, I didn't mean to get anyone's blood pressure going over the music hacks thing. I forgot you guys mostly don't like that. :ohdear:

Some details on tate-ing CRTs (tate is a shmups forum term "tah-tay" in moon language means to stand). Generally, this is an ok thing. Consumer-level TVs may be more difficult to flip than PVMs or 1084s. I used to have this 20" JVC shitbox TV that I flipped a few times before I had my RGB monitors. It's important to make sure the TV has enough flat casing on the left side to accomadate the weight of the tube. That said, I don't think those flat-glass Trinitrons from the early '00s are TATE-able, but I could be wrong. In my experience on both my TV and one of the RGB monitors I had, there was some discoloration on the screen at the bottom once flipped due to magnets or something :v: This went away after several full power cycles where the degauss thing kicked in.

If you have one of those wall mounts with the flexible arm for your HD set, some of them let you flip.... but it's the wrong side. Same with computer monitors - if you get one that pivots, it only does so clockwise. That's fine for MAME because you can specify which direction the display will rotate, but I don't think that's possible on the console ports.

As far as I know, all arcade monitors are created equal. The "tall" screens are just regular ones rotated. If you look at pics of cabs like Astro City or whatever, they're all the same size, but can accomodate a flipped monitor with the adjustable supports that come with it. Back when I was into all this stuff, you could buy brand new replacement monitors from Wells Gardner in several sizes up to 27", but since then they've moved on to LCDs.

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently in the Japanese versions of the Taito Collections (Memories?) there is tate mode for the vertical games. That's pretty neat.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

TheMcD posted:

doomed from the start.

Same. But some aspects of ideas like this I think would be cool, such as new iterations on old properties (thinking of Hudson here) or arcade games that were never ported before. In any case, refusing network capability or 3D games is just asinine, as is trying to make it dual-definition. Software developers would just love that to pieces. :rolleyes:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please don't let someone try to bring back first-gen 3D as a retro thing. That poo poo makes coders vomit black pitch from their eyes and call eldritch terrors unto our world for the mere thought of shadow rendering.

That's not what I had in mind. He said in the interview that the tech would be "all new", so I just assumed it would be able to handle stuff like Race the Sun or Audiosurf.

Azazell0 posted:

A lot of good ones have been mentioned, but if you have a chance to import, pick up Zero Wing. I'd give it a catch copy: "More than just the source of a famous meme!" It's actually a very fun shooter and has a kick-rear end soundtrack.

Agreed. I think all the Toaplan MD ports are good, but I don't care much for Hellfire due to the clunky direction-switching gameplay. Grind Stormer is great, and also includes the Japanese version V-V. I think the port was the last thing they did before going under. Might want to skip Slap Fight MD - last I heard it was :retrogames:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

You'll probably need an SCART to BNC adapter. For modless rgb action you can do genesis, snes (not mini), and turbografx.

All PC-Engine and Turbo systems need mods for RGB.

Any old hats in here remember that ridiculous drama in retro gaming communities maybe 12 or so years ago, where some guy was selling repros? Neo Geo Freak or something? Repros weren't really a thing back then so everyone was :byodood: at the idea of ripping the guts out of original games. Plus the NG community's... eccentrities.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 11, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Do they? I thought they had the necessary pins in their back connector, you just had to make a custom adapter for it.

Nope. You gotta tap the signal off one of the VDPs, add a custom amplifier circuit to it, then either route that signal to the DIN or drill a hole for a new one. The Duo I had years ago had the latter - a 15-pin Dsub on the back.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Here's a link to a turbografx rgb scart cable. I haven't gotten one yet but it looks to be the normal mod, just all built into the cable.

Ah yeah, you get get RGB out of the expansion port without doing any mods. Forgot about that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

SNES Doom is a novelty, not something worth playing.

SNES Doom was my first experience with the game. I rented it first, and loved it so much that I bought a new copy. I dunno, I guess it was the whole new-3D-immersion gameplay that won me over. I was a boy of 15 at the time, take that as you will. Later I would see it on my cousin's PC and was like :aaaaa: I didn't have a PC until 1999, and one of the first games I bought for it was the Doom95 package.

Nowadays the best way to play Doom is, like someone else said, through a sourceport with mods. Brutal Doom is seriously the best thing ever, as shown in the video below. Links to everything are in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjfbVFxsMVU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Retro Gaming Megathread: please don't do lines of n64 stick dust

Random Stranger posted:

If you're willing to expand the concept of tile matching a bit, I really like Flipull. It's an exciting cube game. The idea is you launch tiles at a stack of tiles and it wipes out any matching tiles it collides with. When it hits a tile that doesn't match, the mismatched tile bounces out and the launched tile takes its place. The stages are shaped so that you can bounce a launched tile around a bit to hit the stack from the top or side. It was originally an arcade game, but a Famicom version exists and there's a clone of it called Puzznic which did come out in the US.

I had the Game Boy version of this. The Christmas of, I want to say, '91 or '92, several of the grandkids at the annual family gathering (myself included) had Game Boys, so Grandma got us each a game. My one cousin (one of the "favorites") got Metroid 2. I got Flippul. "Heh heh, uh thanks Grandma" :negative:

Anyway, turns out it's a decently fun puzzler. Can be a tricky bastard, as you usually have to think 3 or more moves in advance.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Descent to Undermountain(tm)

Get me ootta this fookin gaem arrrrggghhhhh

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

re: PS1 discussion: So, give me some non-obvious titles to try and pick up? (PAL exclusive since I don't have a modded system).

For whatever bizarre reason, Konami skipped over NA and released Parodius in PAL territories on like, 5 different platforms. The PS1 and Saturn versions are the "deluxe pack" containing the Parodius Da and Gokujou Parodius/Fantastic Journey arcade ports. Both games are amazing.

I started getting PSM magazine in 1999, and eventually bought 4 games based on their reviews and articles - Colony Wars Vengeance, Tales of Destiny, Xenogears, and Ape Escape. All of these are excellent.

Some people like Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, but I preferred Puzzle Bobble 4 with its VS mode and wild combo system. May also be known as... ugh... Bust-a-Move 4. God drat it Taito, I mean, I get the "bust" pun and everything but the title has nothing else to do with the game, and when the actual Bust-A-Move dancing game came out in the west, they have to change it to Bust-A-Groove. Utter bafoonery.

Joining the praise for PS1 Doom. It's pretty good.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 27, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Magic Engine does it, burn your ISOs off to real discs and they will read fine. It just won't recognize virtual discs.

Bizhawk and Mednafen are good alternatives, but if you have to use Magic Engine get Daemon Tools Lite to mount the game ISOs/Cues to virtual disc drives. No burning needed. Be careful, though... last time I tried to download/install DTL, I had to dodge a ton of crapware links/installs.

DTL also worked great with Saturn emu SSF and my old Blizzard PC games. Any PC game that requires a disc, really - rip to ISO, mount the image with DTL.

I think the OP should be simple to start - what systems there are, where to buy/how to play, any eccentricities of the actual hardware that should be known, and maybe 5 top-tier games to try for each. That's pretty universal for anyone who reads. My personal requests:

- Arcade stuff - MAME, cabs, superguns, PCB maintenance
- RGB stuff - mods, SCART -> YUV boxes, XRGB mini, Trinitrons/PVMs
- Imports - never let anyone assume that the Saturn is worthless because of its western library

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

TheMcD posted:

OK, seriously, what the gently caress is going on right now? Nintendo just shoves Mother 1 out there like it's just a coincidence they've been sitting on it for ages, Square Enix finally seems to be running so low on money or something that they hit the big red button of "FFVII Remake", and now Shenmue 3 is going on Kickstarter? Is there some sort of celestial alignment going on right now?

I'll admit I'm not the most informed gamer these days, but from my point of view it seems like over the past decade or so Japanese games are in drastic decline. Lots of big-name mergers/acquisitions, once-prominent dev houses going mobile-only. Even arcades in the motherland are drying up. Time to bring out the big guns, I guess.

GO FOR BROKE. TRIUMPH OR DIE.

TheMcD posted:

And I just noticed they're asking for two million. That's pretty hefty - I'm actually not sure this is coming together.

lol, it's already done. 2.1 mil and rising.

e:
:3: Can we make this the unofficial games forum catte thread? :justpost: your cats, please.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 16, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Your cat picture link seems to be broken.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

LATE CAT PICTURE.

:eyepop: Would take nap on this bed.

Codiekitty posted:

And to make this post vaguely retro gaming related.

:3: Is his name Super Creamsicle? Because it should be.

Random Stranger posted:

Right behind the high school seems the perfect place to set up a cigarette and beer store!

Wouldn't have made it through high school without them. :D I really like these oddball retrogame posts of yours.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

Cats like Everdrives too:

(Parent's cat guarding the Everdrive I had shipped to their house since I was moving at the time.)

Handsome kitty! :swoon:

Tyson Tomko posted:

"Grab that PS2 memory card man it's cool, I won't attack your hand or anything if you get near my belly...c'mon man do it"

All 4 cats I've lived with in my lifetime were belly traps, but this one's a reel angler fish. Use tongs. Then tong him.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I thank you with this really old picture of my cat Spice going after John Goodman (Rosanne) on an old CRT a co-worker gave to me that's long since dead. :rip: That sucker was 31+ inches and is the heaviest CRT I've lifted to date. I've got a split level house, so hauling that mother fucker up a few steps, turning, then up a few more steps was torture. Dumbass me had to have my plasma setup downstairs.

That doesn't really look like a 30-32 incher, more like 20. Is Spice a large kitty? Also post Spice in the YOSPOS cat thread, he and his namesake will fit in thematically with a couple of the current residents.

I wish I could share pics, but I have neither retro games nor cats anymore. :(

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm in the mood to cat pic it up so I may do that sure. Which thread was that? I must be blind.

Everyone first reaction when they see him is "man that's a big cat!" but it's all muscle, dude is large and in charge. It's been a few years back and I could be slippin, but it was definitely at least a 27". I had a 20" for a long time so I can confidently say it was way bigger than that. It's a wide rear end coffee table too. I could always go hog wild when I get home and measure those picture/dvds/candle/etc so I could get some good scale and figure out how big it was based on that picture or maybe I'm crazy who knows. One final cat picture for now. Spice enjoying the box my new hedge trimmers came in:

YOSPOS cat thread is here. Started in 2009 (!), but if you wanted to read the whole thing like I've been doing (you crazy), skip until 2011 when Imgur replaced WaffleImages as the go-to hoster. Anyway, Spice is a gigantic cat because that TV you posted really doesn't look that big.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Oh oh and quick story about Spice. Originally he and his sister were dropped off at the shelter at around 6 months of age. One was really nice and one was really mean, so they named them Sugar and Spice. Sugar was adopted instantly, Spice sat there for over a year. We started volunteering there one summer (before we had a cat, to get our animal fix) and this one cat just kept following the wife and I around loving us to death. This lead to that, and Spice became ours. I've had several great cats over my 31 years but this cat just owns. He's the only cat I've ever had that obeys voice commmands pretty much all the time. My first orange catte too!

That's awesome. He chose you, as many a rescue cat does. And you got to skip a portion of his teenage shithead years. :3:

Caitlin posted:

I haven't had a chance to take new pictures, but I hate to not contribute to the cats and games party, so : cats and games

ok also cats and Windy Gaming but hey why not

he's sitting on Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing (and a bunch of other stuff but hey)

Eeeeee stripies! :kimchi: These are good cattes. You forgot their names, though, silly.

What's that FDS game with the cat on the cover?

I'm surprised Wizards & Warriors isn't on that Rare compilation. Seems like everyone I knew who had a NES in the late 80's had it, so I assumed it was super-popular.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Caitlin posted:

FDS game is a complete copy of Koneko Monogatari - The Adventures of Chatran. More colloquially known as The Adventures of Milo & Otis. Scooped from Windy, of course.

:aaa: As a youngster, I was lucky enough to have had access to the Disney channel when it was a premium subscription thing. I remember when I first saw the movie on there and thought it was the greatest thing, probably 1990-ish. No idea they made a game about it.

Cute cats, btw. They look like quite the pair. Did you adopt them together or separately?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Cubey posted:

my runt with weird back legs who was born to a stray and spends 90% of her time on my lap.

Pro pic. Please name the next cat acquired in this thread HuC6270A. TIA

I lied earlier... I do have a cat pic to share.

Him name Artey (pronounced "art-ee"). He was an important part of a major life-rebuild thing I had going years ago. The local SPCA had a satellite location that was literally a cattery in commercial retail space, not unlike a cat cafe, but without refreshments. They were in a little shopping center, right in between a rent-a-car and dry cleaners, and had a big backlit sign that said simply "Cats!". I went in there one busy Saturday morning and there he was, napping in his cage. His handsome colors immediately caught my eye so I said hello. He got up, stretched, and began rubbing on the cage door. I had a staff member let him out, and I sat on the floor to give him some pets. To my surprise, he immediately crawled in my lap and purred like crazy. Welp, that was easy. I was chosen.

Artey was a very very good cat. The SPCA estimated his age as 2-3 years, was picked up as a stray in a neighboring town, and had an unfortunate bout of URI that kept him out of the adoption pool for a while. When I first brought him home, he headed straight under my bed, which I was expecting. Other than me, he had the place to himself, so I laid down to take a nap and give him some time. When I woke up a couple hours later, I peered under the dust ruffle to check if he was still there, he was. I said hello. Again, he surprised me by immediately coming out from under the bed, jumped up on top of me, and started making biscuits. Welp, that was easy. After a while I showed him where the litter box was. I don't think he ever had an accident outside the box. I started him out with a big ceramic water bowl but he was always drinking from my glasses of water, so I just gave him his own - a short one so he could reach down to the bottom. I was never able to get him to eat canned food... even the good stuff. He would just lap up the sauce and leave the rest to dry out. He did like to claw at the carpet but I trained him to do the same on the cardboard of a Turbo-Scratcher (that plastic circle toy with the ball trapped in the groove). He never wanted to go outside, either. He would look when I'd open the front door, but then just stand there and look at me as if "why do I want to go out there when I can be in here with you?" So I didn't have to buy canned food, he drank out of his own water glass, always used his box properly, wasn't an escape artist and thus needed no collar, and didn't tear poo poo up... he was perfect.

Well, almost. He loved attention and pets and cuddles so much that if I got up to do something else, he would chase me and claw at my ankles, sometimes drawing blood. Minor annoyance, though. He slept with me every night - always starting out on me in between my legs, then up against my knees as I would shift to a side position. He greeted me at the door every time I came home, talking up a storm. I could have conversations with him by trying to match the pitch of his meows to my own. He was my lap buddy when I watched TV, he was my lap buddy when I was at my computer desk, he sat at the sliding glass door when I'd go out for smoke breaks, he'd loaf on my butt when I'd lay on my belly to play DS, he was my best friend. He had a bunch of silly nicknames ("Arteypants", "Mr. Stripeybutt Boogersnot", etc.). I loved him dearly.

Late 2012 he'd been vomiting a few times a week for a while and started losing weight so I took him to the vet. It wasn't good. They couldn't X-Ray his heart, lungs, or stomach because his chest was full of fluid. They pulled out 150ml of whatever it was and told me he was in advanced heart failure. "If he were a person, he'd be put on a list for a heart transplant." They told me. He then required multiple injections per day, plus a heart medicine in ear cream form because he was impossible to pill. I was supposed to feed him this Potassium Glucomate gel too, but he wouldn't eat that either. All this and multiple vet visits and diagnostics cost me a fortune. I was really stressed out. My job wasn't going well, either, so the following April I went out of town for a week to handle some of my own medical issues while my next-door neighbor watched him and give him his meds.

The day I got back, April 21st, my birthday, I wasn't home for but an hour when he cried out in pain and died in my arms. I mean, I knew it was coming, but why then? I keep his ashes with me, in a box in my closet. Sometimes I take them out and hug them. This was over two years ago, my life has fallen apart, and I haven't had a cat since, nor do I think I ever will again.

drat I'm sad now. Sorry for the :words: Hug your pets, goons.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Go visit a rescue shelter, even without the intention of adopting. Just being around furballs gets you infected with :3: and also maybe :toxogond:

I do this sometimes. The local SPCA has since closed the sattellite cattery, so I go to the main shelter. It's not as nice (and neither are the cats, ha), but I pop over when I'm in the neighborhood. There's this sanctuary place a county over from where I live that apparently has 100+ cats, and they say people get swarmed when they come to visit. That must be... something. :3:

Codiekitty posted:

I had to have a cat put to sleep because his bladder got clogged and he couldn't get surgery because (if I understood correctly) part of his heart was fused to his chest cavity, and I watched another slowly die of a facial tumor which, again, couldn't be operated on because the cat had a heart murmur. It hurts like hell, but don't shut down the idea of owning another cat. There are other fuzzies out there who need love and it sounds like you could use their love too.

I'm sorry for your losses. All you said is true. Unfortunately, I'm not in a place I can take care of one again and I don't know when I will be.

Codiekitty posted:

Oh fine, I'll post a shelfie along with more cats.

Yes, that is a fuckton of Japanese cat manga under the toys.

Woa woa woa, back up. Cat manga? Like actual cats or anthropomorphised stuff? I'm not much of an otaku but I would probably read the hell out of some catte manga. Secretly. In private.

Mega Drive shmups, yusssss. I can't play the arcade version of Zero Wing 'cause the background flashes red every time you destroy something and it wigs me out.

Codiekitty posted:

And now, MORE CATS.

Adopt me I want to live in your cat paradise.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of cats

Quotin' to see it. A fine catte, would boop nose!

SpaceAceJase posted:

Guys, please make sure your cat pics aren't off topic. For example, mine:

A cyclops creamsicle! :aaaaa:

This thread delivers the goods.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Re: Dragon Quest. Don't skip DQ1. Play the SFC version - Dragon Quest I-II Remix or whatever it's called. They re-balanced it to be much, much less grindy. It has a full translation patch. Then play Dragon Quest 3 Reprise, also on SFC w/ English patch. For 4-6 (and 9) go with the DS versions. Wait until the 3DS port of DQ7, and in the meantime, play DQ8 PS2.

It's not Genesis but Dogyuun always comes to mind when I think of YM2x.mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrnzSssdRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Although I have a question. The poster earlier mentioned DW I+II for the Super Famicom, has anyone here played DW I+II for the GBC? 'cuz that was actually officially released and translated here. I can just get that, provided it has the rebalancing that the Super Famicom version had.

Yes, the GBC version is exactly the same gameplay-wise. Just has an 8-bit presentation and a different translation (by resident goon Doug Dinsdale). It's definitely a viable way to play the first two DQs. DQ3 got a similar treatment if you'd prefer - it even has all the monster animations from the SFC version and an extra bonus dungeon crammed into a 32 megabit cart.

• Locked thread