Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Guys. Don't go to fast I am still reading the old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hello again thread. A new year is almost upon us and I was wondering if we are still taking predictions for the fall of GW.

Also bring back boom boom boom

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Broken Loose posted:

stop talking about star wars

I appreaciate the use of spoilers but there are threads for Stars and their Wangs.

LordAba posted:

Much like GW, Star Wars relies on nostalgia and call backs to hide how poo poo it is.

:agreed:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I noticed that for the first time in any Star Wars movie, a person treated a droid as if it were an autonomous intelligent being rather than property.

Episode one, R2D2, being thanks by queen amadala.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

shes not fat you dummy that was a zoom in!

she is a beautiful princess

Tell me more about your cute catte.

Sir Teabag posted:

Has GW died yet or are you nerds still talking about Star War?

I think they are gonna die in May next year. Or at least kill AoS

Leperflesh posted:

Why spoiler that, lol!

also yes OK lets stop discussing star wars. Hey everyone, I got X-wangs from my secret santa

Begun, the spoiler wars have.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Anyone that wants to get me half price Calth boxes please PM me. It sold like gangbusters here.

Seek Mental Help.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

I straight up bought the album of the band that did that song after watching that the first time.

GW IP is best handled by anybody but GW

is it good?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

dominion war, highlight of the series or the worst part???

highlight

Broken Loose posted:

DS9 is a loving treasure and I'll fight anybody who claims otherwise.

I am glad we agree.

I'm Mantic saying this to GW

boom boom boom posted:

I didn't watch much of DS9, because when it started it was all about the Bajorans and I just don't give a poo poo about the Bajorans.

Sup Spoonhead

And this is when I gave up on modelling

Saint Drogo posted:

i haven't seen TFA

thanks for listening guys.

same

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Just how much is the anime industry paying boom boom boom to constantly shove their terrible dorkbots into this thread?

.50usd a post

Apollodorus posted:

Actually, now that I think about it: a comic about creating plastic miniatures would be way better if it were about GW and its slow death spiral into the toilet.

agreed

you are amazing

Jonny Nox posted:

It's on the official gundam.info account

https://youtu.be/MVAlkOHdNME

now it is private

Leperflesh posted:

Someone linked the Tim Tebow chronicles up in here yesterday and I read it instead of working for a few hours and it was pretty good. The beginning was especially great. The ending went off the rails a bit into poorly-thought-out science fiction land but was still satisfyingly melancholy so I liked it.

It is probably particularly good if you have some inkling of who Tim Tebow is (he is a remarkably good terrible football player), and have the standard level of American awareness of Canadian football (which is to say, you know it exists and have heard they only have three downs and that's all you know about it).

It does take a long time to load, and has to be read using that loving interface they're using, but if you can just let it pull down however many unnecessary hundreds of megs of data it's trying to shove down your browser's throat, it's OK. Don't try to read it on a phone.

here is the link again if anyone missed it.

what have you done to me

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Trashcan posted:

The author of that Tebow piece, Jon Bois, is a goddamn treasure. If you haven't, check out his Breaking Madden series, and his explainer on 'what a catch is' (written in the same style as the Tebow article).

Also also too too, he has a good Twitter account.

edit: GW is bad.

and now i know breaking madden exists you have undone me

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

We could talk about the new hit anime of 2016, Ojisan to Marshmallow

oh hell loving yes

Jonny Nox posted:

I am a very incorrect person.

do you have another link?

Bad Moon posted:

It's pretty good. 10 songs and about half of them are good and half forgettable but none overly bad.

Was it overall worth your money and time though? 'Cause I am thinking of picking it up if it doesn't all sound like Amy Whinehouse

Phoon posted:

Star trek sucks

Mostly.

Broken Loose posted:

Depends on the suit. In the original Mobile Suit Gundam, the Gundam was made out of lunar titanium which was a tremendously stronger material than what other MSes were made out of at the time. Suits prior to it were made out of alloys of steel. Robots in this storyline continued to be made out of titanium alloys for about 40 years in-universe until somebody made a ceramic composite that was cheaper but lighter (because beam weapons didn't care about how strong your armor was, but being faster allowed you to avoid them, and ballistic weapons had grown out of favor).

In Gundam Wing, the grunts were made out of a titanium alloy and the Gundams themselves were made out of a super alloy called Gundanium from which they got their name.

In Gundam Build Fighters, they're made of ABS plastic because they're literally model kits.

expertly done, thank you

Dr. Phildo posted:

All I'm hearing is the negligence of parents letting their dang kids crawl over rusty gundums. If not rusty, then there's still sharp bits. Don't jump off them into the lake, you'll just cut the heck out of your feet

Has anyone made the diorama of kids injuring themselves on rusty giant robots

You have shed a new horrifying light onto all dioramas and I can't be mad at you about it,.

Ashcans posted:

Regular Gundams are 1:144 scale, right? So you could use N scale train accessories. They would be a little small (N is around 1:160) but it wouldn't be too bad. If you use a bigger model you could also look at HO (1:87) or O (1:45) scale train stuff.

Here are a couple sites with N-scale stuff. There is actually a dizzying array of this stuff, including 'Kids having snowball fight' and 'people mooning passing train', so you can look around and really put together basically anything you like.

Stop tempting me sir. Actually no keep tempting me. Are there any militarty boats or planes that would also do about 1/100 or 1/144 scale? I am thinking of a scene of loading Mobile suits into such things. It makes me surprisingly happy.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

"No one in the death thread will ever not be trolled"

I present myself as counter evidence.

NTRabbit posted:

Guys seriously, DS9 had some of the best non-human characters of any Trek.

Granted being main cast where others were mostly alien of the week helped, especially compared to the horrible Voyager, but still; Kira, Dukat, Martok, Quark, Garak, Weyoun, Odo. So much to them, so well acted.

Hell yea. And human minorities too.

LingcodKilla posted:

If this thread is about anything it's about how it's ok to have different opinions.

A crowning achievement of this forum and of human society.

LingcodKilla posted:

Just like to point out calling people to grow up when arguing over Star Wars is.... Silly.

guts and bolts posted:

From I Am A loving Idiot, 2016©, by me, published by Random House

got an amazon link?

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Rey, so-called Mary Sue, hit a black man in the face with a pole because a malevolent chirping soccer ball told her he was a thief.

But what was the black man wearing and doing? did the soccer ball and her have probably cause?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

That was a magnificent thread and I feel sorry for the neckbeards that were so intimidated by it.

I mirror your sentiments.

jigokuman posted:

A lot of SD Gundam stuff would fit on a Dreadnought base.

There are capsule machine Gundams that you could squeeze onto a Terminator base.

http://www.gashapon.jp/gundam/PerfectCollection/

Stop trying to make me play 40k

wdarkk posted:

1:100 for larger planes is expensive (like, Games Workshop expensive) it seems. The only cargo plane I've found so far in 1:144 is also expensive, but you can get a cheap-ish 1:144 Air Force One.

I don't think I could put that guy into a Jojo pose at all. 40mm base might be too small for real articulation.

While I appreciate your warning and logic I really really want links to these things.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Death thread is basically TG hang out thread tbh

It is one of the things that make it the best thread.

Irate Tree posted:

I'm the lovely Quintesson on the end of the stick.

Or maybe the grossly over sized, heavy and impractical helmet on his head.

I'm your Bailiff servant to the right

Ettin posted:

The Mobile Suit Gundam: The Force Awakens discussion is interesting but it's probably edging into Cinema Discusso territory :shobon:

Just to be clear: I should't talk about gundam there or here?

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I love that the volcano where the STEAMHEAD DUARDIN hang out has a giant face.

And that they're still reusing music from Dawn of War.

Everything still looks like poo poo.

Dawn of war was the last time they paid professionals to make epic music for their IP. Until Total Warhammer comes out there won't be anything new.

YF19pilot posted:

Got a little extra cash left over from Christmas. Trying to decide between X-Wangs starter set or Star Realms expansions...

Puzzle Strike

edit: guys if we aren't supposed to talk about star wars here I don't think we are supposed to talk about Prometheus.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 10, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

There's another one

except this one is loving huge

everything in this post is amazing

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

EDIT: I just remembered what his Dakka handle was; it was his real name :stare:. Just googled it, turns out he's a broker.

Horrifying

Apollodorus posted:

But he's spending at least some of his $tarWar$ money on something else:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...h-millionaires/

http://www.pephousing.org/gradyranch/

It is rather nice of him but remember he is sticking his middle finger at people who wouldn't let him build a theater.

Irate Tree posted:

I would kill for a Transformers movie that wasn't Bayformers. That poo poo is so loving bad, my brain actually tries to retreat. I don't know where it'd go and somehow, i don't think it'd care - it just wants OUT!

Go watch the animated movie. It's what I do.

Please stop talking about Star Wars.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

How about, as a thread, we all watch Round Vernian Vifam? It's all on youtube, and I've heard it quite good.

I mean, just listen to the opening themesong, it owns

This is some bowie light poo poo in this theme song. I am in on this anime. Boom boom boom, add me on steam please. A Wind of hope

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Will this cause the value of my Revised dual lands to go up?

A small surge up and then the realization that market demand is not there to keep the price up and it may actually lower if enough new cards enter the market. So...go ahead and keep gambling.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

You guys should also post the Trick Jarrett thing of him being all emo about spoiler leaks. I don't know if it's just me that found that hilarious though.
Are you kidding? A tier 1 standard buy in - you know, the approachable ground level format - is approaching like "40k army" expensive now.

You could buy full tournament lists for two warmahordes factions for the price of dark jeskai last I checked (I don't follow mtg finances that closely anymore, though)- you could probably buy every X-wang mini before hitting the same price as two tier 1 standard decks, let alone modern. They've been reprinting modern cards for years and I doubt the format average buyin has dropped by 33%, let alone actually not gone up.

Serious, how the gently caress is any OOP driven format supposed to be reasonable to buy in on when the secondary market is so loving bananas with actual in print, high supply cards? Nothing is going to come down in price when the pigs are this face deep in poo poo at the trough.

Also Leperflesh you know stores crack 40-75% of the initial supply of boosters to sell as singles, right? So basically there is positive EV on cracking ten thousand boosters, if you can reduce friction in the system by being a retailer.

All right. I gotta weigh in here as an MTGO light motherfucker. poo poo is not 40k levels of buy in. You can still buy an event deck and mob the floor with fools who bought too many planeswalkers. They even come with a sideboard for the cost of one space marine unit. You cna play and have fun and learn some poo poo. Possibly not win the whole thing but there is still enough variance in MTGO that no one is guaranteed to win.

If you don't follow the finances don't bother talking about them. Like me.

I agree about the OOP thing because if it just like modern comics. A lot are printed and not a lot of them are being destroyed like during a total war.

final note? #notallstores and he is still right as even if you can sell every card in a pack as a store the time it has taken to find someone who wants to buy 4 or more of that one card is still time you have been losing money.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

OK, highlights from the GW six-month report effortleperpost:

First, understand that this is reporting results from May to November, 2015. That's the most important period for Age of Sigmar release and revenues, but it's also the less-important of GW's two six-month periods: like most retailers they sell more stuff during Christmas.

The report is not bad. I mean that: almost all of the numbers are only changed a little from the previous May-Nov period. Currency fluctuations can legitimately be blamed for the very small (think 1-2%) changes in most of the numbers. GW did not spend an inordinate amount more on Cost of Sales, it did not see its revenues fall precipitously, there were no scary numbers anywhere. GW seems entirely capable of continuing to pay its 20p semi-annual dividend, which is the most important number for its major investors; the other being Earnings Per Share (EPS), which is actually up very slightly, from 14.5 to 14.9.

A few tidbits worthy of note:
-GW's licensing revenue more than doubled compared to the previous May-Nov period. This is probably due to releases of new videogames; vermintide wont' be on there yet, but some of the mobile games and stuff. It's still under 1.5M, and I've seen numbers from years and years ago that were triple that; but the next period will include some bigger titles like Vermintide, and Warhammer: Total War is coming up soon. Overall I'd expect GW's licensing revenues to be good for a while; four million pounds a year or so per year in new licensing revenues will more than offset the quite small declines we're seeing in trade and retail.
-GW's business in most geographical areas is OK, but it is collapsing (particularly in Trade, which is sales through independent retailers) in Australia and New Zealand:

But be careful when reading these numbers. All of them are reported in GB Pounds, which means that the different periods (the columns) represent different sets of exchange rates. For example, the US dollar has been rising against the GB pound:

During the May to November period of 2015, the US dollar was significantly stronger (and continued to strengthen) vs. the GBP, than it was the previous year's May-Nov period. This means that, looking only at the Trade revenues, while GW made 8.7M pounds for this period vs. 8.2M pounds in the previous, US sales were probably actually lower, as measured in US dollars. (I can't say exactly how much lower because I'm not sure how often or when GW converts currency; does it continuously convert its US sales profits, or only bring over hunks of cash every six months, or what?) I can say confidently that this higher number is not a sign that sales in the US are growing. (On the other hand, the Australian dollar is actually weaker vs. the pound in 2015 vs. 2014. So the loss of revenue from Australia is actually overstated a little bit, too. It's not a huge difference, though.) What is important from these numbers, though, is that none of them are profoundly different.
-GW's online sales ("Mail order") are up modestly; but the most that can be attributed to the website is about 400k pounds of increased sales.

And, the Big News here: it isn't the financial report at all, but rather, the guidance given in the highlights and interim managment report. Understand that guidance is a company's way of setting expectations. The idea is, you tell your investors as soon as you can, whether they should expect good, average, or poor performance at the next report (and why). The stock price should adjust according to those expectations. Then when you release your results, assuming there are no surprises, there's no reason for a panic sell-off (or crazy buy-up) from the results. Investors expect guidance and while I'm not sure if it's actually a regulatory requirement to give it, I know of no publicly-traded company that entirely avoids giving guidance for its upcoming reports.

GW's guidance is that its December sales were disappointing.

Given the May-Nov period's pre-tax profit was 6.3M, this means GW expects its Nov 2015-May 2016 pre-tax profit to be about 9.7M.

GW's 2015 annual pre-tax profit was 16.6M. So GW is announcing that it expects to have made slightly less profit this year than last year: and, last year's profit was itself a drop from the year before. The drop is pretty small, but you generally want to see the companies you invest in growing, not shrinking.

I expect GW's investors to mostly ignore this announcement. The share price may fall a little, but GW will probably keep paying the expected dividend. What GW's investors don't know or understand, is that the company is seeing declining profitibility despite absolutely slashing costs, in an environment when a number of its most important competitors are enjoying rapid growth. GW's investors don't know that because none of GW's competitors are publicly-traded companies with publicly stated, reliable financial reports. We in this thread can gather anecdotal evidence from what we see in game stores and what people are playing at conventions and tournaments, but that's not the sort of information that investors pay attention to or give much credit.

Conclusion: GW is far from bankrupt. At its current rate of decline, it can cut costs and maintain profitability even while it dwindles in size. The company could sustain itself for decades. It is still not an attractive aquisition target. It still has zero debt, and in fact makes a few tens of thousands of pounds a year in profits from the interest it earns on its operating cash reserves. Kevin Rountree is not going to be fired. Age of Sigmar has not killed the company, and isn't going to kill it.

thank you for this wonderful detailed write up. I have to agree with you. They are here to stay provided no major external force or internal problem.

jigokuman posted:

That thing is literally in a T pose. I've ready about lazy CAD sculpting here and wondered what was meant exactly, but this is blindingly obvious.

the face is even emotionless.

boom boom boom posted:

Alright, everybody. The GW Death thread Vifam watch starts tomorrow. I know we've got people from all sorts of time zones here so there's no specific time. Just watch the first episode of Round Vernian Vifam sometime tomorrow, and post your reaction in this thread.

Here's the Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9loAdx3LYU

This openning is amazing and I am going to real sad when Dr. Crake dies.

So this show as a whole is pretty neat so far as humans are roughly on teh same tech level as the astrogaters. Unlike Macross where a whole lot of stealing technology has to go down. But it does have some classic child soldier overtones.
But I will admit all the robots have a stompy industrial simplicity to them that pleases me greatly.
I hope this keep its tone as the dark 'we never thought this could happen' and 'people are dying and I have to deal with this' is in a way refreshing to me.
'I won't cry!'

Leperflesh posted:

Abso loving lutely it does, yes. Hell yes. If I can't legally proxy an obviously-proxy card, I'm more likely to try to get away with a high-quality forgery.

So no one really thought this call out is what I am getting,.

boom boom boom posted:

That Force of Will game looks cool.

If I am going to do that I may as well try that puzzle and dragons game.

LordAba posted:

Isn't Force of Will a CCG?

Millennium Blades is a boardgame where you play a character playing a CCG. Compete in a tournament, and then buy/trade/sell and collect card sets for victory points (usually 20 minutes realtime between tournaments). It looks batshit insane. Plus it is by level99 games.

boom boom boom posted:

I think so, I just assumed Millenium Blades was too.

If we're suggesting people get the CCG experience without actually playing one, I'm gonna say that people should read Wizard's Soul. It's a manga about a teen girl who has to play not-Magic to win back the money her dad lost speculating on not-Magic cards

http://mangapark.me/manga/wizard-s-soul-koi-no-seisen/s2/v1/c1

thank you for bringing both of these to my attention.

JerryLee posted:

Well, you can also play 40k cheap (even recasts aside) by going with a small army, buying up cheap poo poo people have thrown on ebay, and getting a pdf of the rules from /tg/. In both cases, though, you're sacrificing something compared to the full game experience.

40k's rules are also much shittier compared to its competition than MTG's are but that's beside the point.

Well ya see thats the thing. An event deck is a thing that is sold by WoTC themselves. You buy it, unwrapp it, sleeve it maybe, and play friday night magic. Not the same.

edit:

boom boom boom posted:

That's not a fair comparison. Buying bootlegs or getting deals on used stuff vs. actually buying new Magic Cards at the store.

thanks bro :respek:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Talking about running an event deck at FNM (or whatever the gently caress Herr Tog was mumblin' about) in the air of talking about the buy in cost of a tier 1 standard or legacy deck is just as far apart so whatever?

And no, it really is. One of them is a discussion of the secondary market and one isn't. Saying MTG has a million permutations of reasonable cost structure for good game play isn't really relevant when talking about Legacy. And Standard, soon enough.

They are WoTC products.

here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/dragons-tarkir-event-deck-2015-03-18

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1283

And the compairison is that I can buy this and play. I don't NEED to get tier 1 to show up and play, have fun, learn, and maybe win. a 40k army is the csot of sitting down at the table and playing.

Basically my goal is to say: MTG and Warhammer are not comparable in terms of cost of entry and so we should not continue to compair them.

Instead:

boom boom boom posted:

All in all, I'm definitely excited to see the next episode. Here's the link to episode 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUOV3Y10G0

I'll watch this by thursday.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Fair enough; I thought we were just talking about getting as cheaply as possible to the point where we can pretend to play the game at its full scale, since we were using terms like "buy-in." But I think that's a point that needs clarification: are we comparing the prices that you need to play the game effectively, or are we just comparing what each manufacturer will sell us in shrinkwrap for $XX?

Along those lines, and I think this is what Spiderdrake is also talking about, trying to defuse the claims about Magic's buy-in by saying that you can technically play the game with an event deck is (perhaps unintentionally) disingenuous because an event deck simply does not allow you to fully play the game on the level that people are talking about when they talk about the several hundred dollar decks. You might be able to take games off the people at an LGS with decklists full of planeswalkers that they don't actually know how to play, but that's like saying you can beat some nerd's 2500 point Forgeworld army with the models from a battleforce box (probably the closest comparison to the event deck, even if they cost 2-3x the price) if he doesn't know how to play them either and spends his turns driving land raiders in circles while you shoot him up. In neither case have you "bought into" the game in the sense that anyone else is talking about, so it's not that useful a comparison, no matter how much I applaud you for smacking the smug out of some nerd with more money than sense.

In stead of effectively cause I feel like that word could be argued I'd rather say: legally. Because again playing once in an actually event can be a huge learning experience and from there you can tell if you want to dive deeper or if you want to try something else or if wizard poker just isn't for you.

You don't need to play at the same level at people who are deeper in or who have just spent more to enjoy yourself or learn. If the goal is to only win then we are talking about two different but not exclusive goals.
The planeswalker thing was from my own personal experience and I giggle remembering it. But it must be acknowledged that there is still the possibility for a tier 1 deck to be mana screwed or flooded and the other deck wins regardless of match up or meta. This does also go for Warhammer to a certain extent. But the cost of these two experiences differ greatly in time and money.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

You guys wanna see what happens you combine a RG Strike Gundam, a MG Strike Gundam, and a PG Strike Gundam?

I really really like that.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what those people would actually do. Like if WotC reprinted the Black Lotus, are those companies just going to stop buying new MTG cards even though their value isn't really affected at all by the supply of Black Lotuses? Seems a bit like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Black lotus is a terrible comparison as it would ruin any meta it was reprinted it but it would sell out like crazy because even someone like me would want a black lotus. Let's use zendikar lands since onslaught lands were reprinted.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

To be fair you can reasonably compete at a fnm with a $20 budget brew, even when your fnm is chock full of top tier decks, because there's enough variance and their decks aren't enough better than yours over 4ish rounds to definitively assert their statistical dominance. Bigger events, much less so. Either way the price for a top tier deck in any format is loving absurd to me. TCGs. I dunno, man.

That is what I have been saying man

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It's more like WotC and the big secondary market retailers have a codependent relationship- WotC wants them fostering a player community and buying lots of cases of product, while the retailers also want the players but make their money on both new unopened product as well as singles, which can be very profitable but requires a lot of inventory to make work. It's a big investment for a store that could very well get horribly devalued if WotC starts releasing boxes of tournament staples.

So there isn't a retaliatory action that would take place it is more that they would be acting against their own best interests.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I was at a serious risk for getting back into magic but nothing I hear about what WOTC is up to nowadays makes me want back in. Also it turns out that X-Wing is really fun so never mind that anyway

Play multi-player commander.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

There's only one proper way to play Magic: build a cube.

or make friends with someone with a cube.

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's ok, even if this thread isn't on my side, god is.

:suspense:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

My dad had a model train set up in our rec room when I was a kid, a sprawling coal mining town he painted d to look as run down and depressing as possible. He even set it up so the locamotive he had that had a light and a little spot to put dry ice to look like steam, so when you turned off the lights and got your face down to eye level it looked like some sort of ghost train coming at you.

My friends and I would use it to play Battletech on the set :3: it went away when my house burned down and dad never built a new one before he died even though he got a bunch of insurance money to replace it. I miss that train set.

Dad was ethnically German so it makes sense

THAT IS SO SAD.

Also sad

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Vifam episode 2 review, by boom boom boom, age 11

Episode 1 ended with the last shuttle leaving the surface of Creado to escape alien attack. Episode 2 kicks off with it arriving at the space station in orbit. Every ship they've got is being filled with civilians and fired off towards the nearest human settlement, Beruike. They're out of space ferries, so they decide to use the Jenias, a deep-space training ship operating with less than a skeleton crew. The civilians, including the kids we met last episode, the professor and his wife, and the Monolith, get on board and the space station is attacked, so the Jenias is forced to launch immediately, without it's captain. The aliens shoot up the Jenias a bunch, but it's eventually able to go to full speed and lose them. During the battle they lose several of their fighting robots, because the aliens are somehow able to predict their evasive maneuvers.

When I say the ship gets shot up, I mean, seriously. They don't say how many people died, but it's a lot.

So the episode ends with Jenias on course to Beruike. Severely under-crewed, there are only 32 people on board. Ten are children.

I am excited for some Battlestar Galactica stuff. I was planning on watching one episode every other day so I wouldn't get too far ahead of anybody, but I might jump it up to one a day.

Here's the link to episode 3

So far I like the fleshing out of the world. I am very prepared for the bearded man and MRS. ROBINSON to eat it soon.
But this anime runs into the problem a lot of animes face; making people look the age they specify. oh well.
also looks like Humanity has a traitor and is getting wrecked.
Be warned there are children in danger for a light comedic effect?
So since the monolith hasn't been given a name I am calling it Cocaine
SKELETON CHILD CREW.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's better but worse than the space napoleonic era anime

Wait what

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I wonder if you can have a well-done series of import like the wire or band of brothers done in the current en vogue anime drawing style and have it be recognized as a great series with merit. Like, I would watch all the seasons of breaking bad with a main character who had gigantic eyes and a silly outfit.

Those HBO things you mentioned were so powerful cause they were filmed where these things happened.

oh poo poo hell yea

Chill la Chill posted:

Million dollar baby but with a kawaii anime girl.

link?

Sir Teabag posted:

We lasted like 5 posts talking about a new AI game before crash landing in Anime Land.

Well done thread. :unsmith:

Does anyone have a video of people playing AI cause I am in the dark an unable to contribute.

guts and bolts posted:

So does Poe Dameron

And now it's anime + Star Wars, two great tastes that ruin the GW death thread

I am curious what else there would be to this thread instead of this 'ruin'

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Getting somewhat closer to the topic of Games Workshop, i am excited for the new Mantic Walking Dead game. It sounds fun.

wait what

guts and bolts posted:

I'm the extra "e" in Star Wars

There is so much going on in every scene is it just jam packed.

boom boom boom posted:

Folsom Street Throng

Nice

boom boom boom posted:

Who loving cares? GW stopped doing Specialist Games because they didn't sell as well as 40k, and they were roundly derided in this very thread for that stupid decision. Now they're bringing Specialist Games back and y'all respond with "morons, it's not going to sell as well as Star Wars"

Its like retailers chasing amazon I swear to god.

JerryLee posted:

GW Death Thread: The comic gets into monster girl fashion a lot, like what kind of swimsuit design she can wear, etc.

I can get behind this rename.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

While we're on the subject of animals situated on top of other animals, I would like to make the following assertion: goats are cooler than opossums.

This is truth.

Indolent Bastard posted:

It isn't battleship or warplane girls? I thought they were peak anime, with bonus points if they are nazi planes or ships.

Is that supposed to be the Bismarch?

boom boom boom posted:

Here is the decal sheet

Get teh gently caress outta here. This doesn't exist.

Pureauthor posted:

What if I stuck eyes ONTO the visor?

You become my hero.

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks I forgot about Cho Aniki.

They are missing out on a niche market segment. I mean, there are tons of anime girl+ship/refrigerator/toaster animes and models but none of hot buff pavel patel dudes + fridge/brickshithouse/battleships? Huge market opportunity there, imo.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Project idea: Modify the Oathbound Thongs into Cho Aniki guys.

Good idea.

anti_strunt posted:

The desire for control entailed by this hyperproduction of fetishes (in the anthropological sense of the word) is very interesting. The increase in production of votive statuary in the fertile crescent during periods of drought and infertility comes to mind.

The gently caress you say?

Chill la Chill posted:

OK, so do the same thing but use cel shading is what you're saying.

Sure, cell shade actual people.

LordAba posted:

Nope, nobody played the game. Nobody. I don't know why people got so excited about it. Like, people played epic and people played BFG. Nobody played AI. Which is why it crashed and burned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9D9hvCi7qc

Thank you so much for this information.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

AI is the midpoint between arcade and historic style airplane fights. Only it doesn't do it as well as either extreme. Plus the albatross of forgeworld around its neck when pretty much every airplane fight game has cheaper pre-painted minis.

That paired with the video means this game is terrible and I hope GW dies.

Time to watch more Anime with boom boom boom

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rulebook Heavily posted:

What the gently caress thread am I even in anymore

I'm not sure but I think it reeks of miasma and death.

kingcom posted:

CD IS LEAKING!!!!

STOP IT QUICK

NTRabbit posted:

It's from Battletech I think, but I recall reading about a mercenary company that were loyal for the duration of the contract, plus the next contract, and no further, ie they would not immediately turn around and hire themselves out to your enemy. Meant a safe exit, because the employer never had to get paranoid about them doing a sneak attack from the inside as soon as they were done.

I actually really like this and may have to steal it for future use.

boom boom boom posted:

I bet you'd like Getter Robo Go. It's got a very early JoJo feel, with manly men who are kind of terrible people punching through horrifying monsters.

I agree with this

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gurren Lagann

I think the guy that did G Gundam did a show called Giant Robo that's supposed to be really good

disagree, too many women and children and not enough punching.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

OK, I was watching Round Vernian Vifam on youtube. But the dude only uploaded the first three episodes. The rest is there, but in a lovely picture in picture thing that some people do to try to fool the Youtube copyright machines. Which is not a fun way to watch anything.

Vifam has never been available in America, nobody owns the rights to release it in America. Even in Japan, the Vifam DVDs are well out of print. Is it OK for me to post a link to a torrent of it? I know it's ok to post links to downloads of dead games in this forum, would Vifam fall under that rule too?

LordAba posted:

You should ask in the anime forums and then post the link in the anime forums and then post the link here.

I eagerly await progress

boom boom boom posted:

You're just ignorant, there's a wide variety of Monster Girl mangas

hahahaha

Bad Moon posted:

Realtalk isn't there a whole loving subforum for animecinema talk? The Death Thread is Trad games general chat thread and all but good god

ftfy

Business Gorillas posted:

Boom boom boom made the gbs 40k thread and then got mad when people couldn't shut up about skulls and he locked it. Ironically, boom boom boom had a hissy fit about the gbs thread going off topic

I just realized you are unbanned.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

anti_strunt posted:

Alright, I am getting in touch with a nice young man on eBay regarding my Epic needs. He already has Malcador tanks, so I'll ask if he can hook me up with some more recent FW releases in God's own scale.

But for shizzle, what is the SA policy on recasters? If I find a good source I'd hate to hold out on the thread that's given me so much joy and enlightenment over the last couple of months....

How does Getter Robo Go compare to Shin Mazinger?

Or "Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!" or whatever the gently caress the official name of the 2009 series was.

Deeply agree. Robot anime seems far too wed to the old Hollywood catastrophe/invasion movie formula, where you have to establish external familial ties to make the threat a threat against an imagined society as a whole, to properly embrace a Jojo dramatology.

re: recasters: Don't give GW money

Getta and Mazinger are awesome but shift from a team dynamic to a single child.

boom boom boom posted:

Go Nagai, the creator of Mazinger Z, is the co-creator of Getter Robo. So they're cut from the same cloth. Super robots piloted by hosed up dudes fighting a crazy army of giant monster robots over the fate of the Earth. Specifically, Getter Robo Go has a much larger scope and a much more apocalyptic feel than Shin Mazinger Z Impact!, though. The whole world is fighting the evil monsters, so there's an international team of crazy robots piloted by bad people.

Basically.

boom boom boom posted:

The American giant robot pilot in Getter Robo Go is pretty fun

Well that is better than some Japanese media making THE JEWS

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I'm not jewish but I think I am offended.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

anti_strunt posted:

She infiltrates a 100% racially pure Germanic society (no black people, a single remaining half-Asian, no other differentiated ethnicities) under constant siege from without from human-seeming but non-human enemies, through her power of Passing as White, as an agent of chaos to destroy it from within.

So like...I need to add it to the list even though it doesn't outright say it?

Business Gorillas posted:

I did it like 3 days ago nbd

I missed you, don't get banned for stupid stuff okay?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

anti_strunt posted:

Here is a creator of non-recast, wholly original, but very appropriate Epic material:
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/167-sisterhood-command.html

They also make problematic 6mm tits:
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/161-hellborn-fallen-sisters.html

They also offer a complete 6mm Genestealer cult:
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/31-terran-hybrid-command.html
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/28-terran-hybrids.html
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/153-armored-limousines.html

Unfortunately they do not offer 6mm Vulcan Bolters. eBay is still, to the best of my knowledge, the only recourse for that.

do they do tau poo poo?

boom boom boom posted:

fine, let's get back to warhammer

I thought bolters were caseless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Yes the Okami Technocracy are very Tau-like and they have (from what I can tell) a 1:1 equivalency of all units.

They called them Okami? Jesus

Josef bugman posted:

So on the "don't give GW money" idea, should I not buy total warhammer? Because I really like Creative Assembly.

re:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's a total war game, so buying it at release is a chump move anyway. Wait until it's been out long enough to go on sale, and then buy it if people tell you it's good

Chill la Chill posted:

The entire total war series (from Medieval 2 to Rome 2) periodically goes on sale or humble bundle for as cheap as $15. Including most DLCs. You could get that instead cuz total warhammer is prob just gonna be a re-skin of Rome 2 + Shogun 2 (if we're lucky).

and wait for them to fix all their mistakes

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, get Vermintide. It's surprisingly good.

How about Mordenheim?

• Locked thread