Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, lemme rephrase, because I'm genuinely not particularly knowledgeable about the time period. Is this:

the accepted history of the event- that Ferdinand was killed because his politics were too conciliatory, and would blunt the impetus for nationalist rebellion?

In short: Ferdinand's conciliatory liberalism toward the empire's non-Austro-Hungarian subjects was a contributory factor, but not the main reason why the Black Hand was jonsing to bump him off.

Further discussion of the causes of WWI should probably go in a more specific thread, as tempting as it is to go into much greater depth here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Geostomp posted:

That was nonsense even by SovCit standards.

I dunno, I thought the "'children of unsound mind" bit was a pretty accurate description of the Bundy clan.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The yellow menace does not operate on logic, they only exist to slither in and repossess the country once Obama defaults on the national debt

They're basically the new Jewish Question to the right wing

Hardly new. Yellow Peril hysteria has been a thing since the 19th century.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

I agree. It is very important to maintain the sanctity of the Molten Salt Reactor subforum.

True, but it'd still be a good idea to keep more on target re: those Bundy morons and associated sovcit buffoonery.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress that's long

they mention the couple that killed the cops in Nevada after a stay at the Bundy Ranch but to be fair weren't they kicked out for being too crazy even for them?

That was the claim the Bundy's made after those two kamikazed, certainly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

What the gently caress does any of this have to do with those Bundy hicks

The screaming madness that is the Bundy legal defense strategy brought up the subject of sovcits (not for the first time,) so Throwing Turtles went looking for examples local to him:

Throwing Turtles posted:

The article leads to the Southern Poverty Law Center's hand guide of whack jobs by state, so I bit the bullet and checked out my local loonies. I clicked on the first thing that was for sale and wound up on a poorly laid out site that sold survival gear. By Survival gear I mean knives, lots of knife. Like six categories of knives.

Oh and fire starters.

Damascus Thors' Hammer Fire Striker With Ferro Toggle on a black Paracord Lanyard.

Among all of that, he also found this photo:

quote:

I couldn't figure out how to buy anything, but I did find this couple randomly placed in the catalog among all the knives for sale.

Considering the number of wannabes and LARP troopers who took park in the Malheur occupation, the question was advanced that he might be another stolen valor rear end in a top hat, but no it seems he's probably just a standard veteran.

You're right that is is getting pretty off topic, despite being interesting.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

What do you think the lifespan is on a guy setting up a big rear end machine gun that's pointed at a bunch of feds

About as long as it'd take the SWAT or HRT sniper to finish his coffee.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zeal posted:

More importantly, where do you think Cruz came from

I thought we were all in agreement that he was a urine golem?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Volcott posted:

Did anyone ever ask Jefferson what he thought about all the murders.

He didn't have much of a problem with them until the slaves in Haiti rose up and he suddenly remembered that European aristocrats were undeserving victims of revolutionary violence which he'd never really liked in the first place, honest you guys.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

And a bonus of "medicinal herbs" which is giving me hilarious mental images of some prepper in his basement with a mortar and pestle, wearing a huge wizard robe made out of tarps, mixing up some health potions:

I think I finally understand LaVoy Finicum now.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I remember some great article about some libertarians trying to found a mega-dense city on a tiny island in a river that's not technically claimed by any nation and they got a lovely diplomat to come with them when they made landing because they thought they wouldn't be arrested then, and a reporter came along basically making fun of them, and they got to the island and a boat immediately came out and was all "you're all under arrest" and the diplomat talked about his immunity and they go "ok you're all under arrest except that guy, he just has to leave."

Anyone remember what I'm talking about, I can't seem to find it now and it was a pretty great read.

Still not as funny as when the Republic of Minerva was conquered by the Royal Tongan Army Marching Band, and then sank into the sea.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I really love the 24601. :allears:

I can't believe I missed that!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Pre-Columbine, kids at my high school used to have hunting rifles in their cars in the school parking lot on a pretty regular basis. It was rural and our district covered a good sized area, so kids who were going hunting with friends after school would put their gun in their trunk rather than spend an hour or so running home to get it, before going to where ever they were hunting. No one thought much of it.

Post-Columbine, most people decided it wasn't a good idea, but I know a few kids who still did it, they were just a lot more careful and didn't talk about it.

Carrying it into the building though, or even taking it out of the trunk to show someone wasn't done. Even Pre-Columbine, everyone understood that was a bad idea.

Same here. Whenever deer season rolled around, basically every pickup in my high school parking lot except mine had at least one rifle or shotgun hanging from the gun rack (pre-Columbine), though they never got brought down or even shown around that I know of.

I can't imagine they still let kids do that these days.

Discendo Vox posted:

It would've had something done to it to render it nonfunctional.

Young Freud posted:

I'm hoping so. I never got close enough to check for firing pins or anything. It was only remember it being used for one play, so it could have been a rental or a prop that the drama teacher owned.

We used starter pistols with blanks in a couple shows I was in. I remember the a visiting teacher asking, with some concern, why I was loading a revolver during rehearsal one time before I told her what it really was.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

:sureboat:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mirthless posted:

I'm guessing Ammon withdrew all of his cash from the bank prior to the occupation to prevent it from being seized.

I have to wonder if he's the sort who has a bank account to begin with, whether from a personal distrust of banking or from his lovely business/personal practices making getting one impossible.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

Per my client's traditional customs bureau of land management staff must only be addressed as "varmints"

This may work if they can select a jury solely based on whether they "hates that rabbit" too.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Aren't you thinking of Boko Haraam?

Wasn't it Blaine Cooper mixed up in some sort of "raid" to "liberate" some kids (possibly his own) that CPS had entirely justifiably taken away?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Capntastic posted:

Sov cits woud not last long in Alpha Complex

They would never trust The Computer, and earn termination after termination by trying to use magic words on it.

Ze Pollack posted:

unknown armies is a game about how if you are the right kind of insane you can get magic powers by very strictly following the rules of your personal brand of insanity, and it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe it like hell. this sounds like the setup for wish fulfillment, but they do a pretty good job of establishing that no, a world of warring insane people trying to prove their insanity right is really hopelessly hosed up.

an Adept of Open Carry -KNOWS- that a well-armed society is a polite society. by simply displaying their fetish object (in 99% of cases it's a gun, but there's a few people who are unhealthily attached to other weapons instead) they gain sorcerous power from the peace thus achieved.

of course, if they have to actually shoot someone with the drat thing, that at least temporarily proves their insane fantasy world wrong, and thus they lose magic powers for doing so.

there are Adepts of pretty much every fringe (and mainstream!) philosophy/conspiracy theory/whatever. if there was an Adept who could come up with a philosophy that completely described the world, they'd pretty much be god. Unfortunately the Adepts of Capitalism lose power every time they sacrifice short-term profits for long-term gain, the Adepts of Democracy lose power every time they don't wait for consensus before acting, the Adepts of Celebrity lose power every time they try to do something privately, etc, etc, the game is excitingly dumb.

I lost track of it more than one edition ago, is it actually playable now? I loved the flavor and concept but found the original mechanics to be incredibly clunky.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

berth certificates

:sureboat:

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not really sure how they think that operating a motor vehicle is a right.

Their concepts of rights aligns more or less directly with "I get to do whatever I want."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

It was onsite equipment used by Reserve workers, I believe.

I believe they also broke it somehow during their digging of the shittrench, or possibly when they failed in an attempt to construct earthworks.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

WrenP-Complete posted:

My clinical supervisor has suggested giving mentally ill people Bluetooth headsets to reduce stigma of talking to yourself. I told him it will just increase stigma of headsets.

A guy I used to work with had a previous job in some subset of social services, and he said they did just this when they took mentally ill patients on field trips and the like.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

red19fire posted:

This, plus per the OPB podcast the main charges are for conspiracy, so they're trying to fight those charges by saying the occupation was mostly unplanned. Which the feds have countered by having an informant inside the Bundy organization (Ryan's driver), and turning the lower-level Bundy hangers-on. The other big charges are for preventing federal employees access to the buildings, which the prosecution has been having Malheur employees testify they felt threatened, and the defense has been 'we never said you couldn't come to the reserve and do your job, all the guns and unspoken threats of violence were for show'. AKA the 'I'm not touching you" defense.

Has subject of that self-appointed judge come up yet, who was threatening to convene "citizen grand juries" or whatever to try and hang county officials who didn't do what the militants wanted?

zeal posted:

you should talk to her gennifer, help her through this difficult period of her life to realize she can be so much more than a military spouse

This reminds me of one of the better things to emerge from these forums regarding military spouses:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Go ask the career development folks at the MPF. Also pimp the TMO folks and ask them.

The final answer comes from one of those two sources. And in the end you have a 50/50 chance of being told the wrong thing anyway.

But you asked for thoughts, and after smoking a bowl and contemplating things, I had a thought I'd like to share with you.

Have you considered not marrying your fiancee?

I can count on one finger the number of guys that were USAF intel officers that I wouldn't line up outside the gas chambers if the fourth reich became a thing.

A few years from now, when you can't even stand to look at him without feeling a sense of extreme hatred and disappointment simultaneous to realizing that at 28 years old you spend 50% of your day thinking about becoming a divorcee, remember this advice: Run the gently caress away now.

Seriously, there is a 100% chance your fiancee is a tool and a loving nitwit. There is a 100% chance that he will be peer pressured into becoming a distilled version of fighter pilot gay bro'ness not by dudes that fly fighter jets, but other sperged out intel retard officers. He's going to start saying things like "Check, Rodge, Vector, Burner" and other associated lame as gently caress things, while also sometimes randomly wearing a flightsuit to work on Fridays despite his only flight time being the fam flight he poo poo his pants or puked his guts up during.

Also he's going to cheat on you. Oh man is he going to cheat on you. And there is a not too bad chance that it won't be with some good looking gal, but rather some dumb bitch enlisted intel girl that almost got a degree in psychology from her podunk state school before she decided she hated the taste of gargling frat sperm and dropped out and joined up to get a chance at being the hottest little twat in a windowless SCIF in Japan.

But don't worry about that breaking your heart, he'll never tell you. You'll be too busy caring for the 3-4 kids he demands you squeeze out in repayment to the base model BMW 3 series he's going to buy you when he gets to his second assignment at Tinker AFB.

When he's not deep dicking some borderline inbred dipshit Airman who's a civilian 5 and intel 12, he'll be lording over you how his job and career come first, and pray he doesn't make more money than you because that'll come up everytime you sigh audibly at the dinner table where you two will passive aggressively try to grind down each others will to live and breathe.

By this point as a captain he's going to be TDY 1-2 months a year, where he's getting half assed hand jobs from third tier strippers on excursions with the least socially inept enlisted guys in his flight-- this is probably the point where his raging alcoholism will be so clear and obvious to you that you two will start fighting every saturday before kick off when his colleges football team inevitably will take a beating. This fight won't stop until his next TDY when the sweet release of his toothless stripper infidelities and lack of home presence gives you time to bust out your big giant purple *BZZZZZ* friend whenever those walking talking pants making GBS threads machines you call children fall asleep long enough to let you deaden the nerves in your clitoris.

Soon after he'll take his third assignment, the one right before he pins on Major, and suddenly he'll be pressuring you into becoming a fundamentalist christian, and he'll delete all of his whores off of his facebook account and spend his home time posting image macros about 2nd amendment rights, and how jesus spoke english in the bible so these loving mexicans should too. At this point you two will be consigned to bi-annual loving, and only when you've drank enough cheap boxed wind to be able to stand the idea of him pounding away on you missionary style but still refusing to look you in the eyes.

This will also be the point when your oldest childs ADHD and pyromania are diagnosed, and one of your parents die. There is around a 85% chance one of you is going to be eating zoloft and klonopin out of loving pez dispensers, and waking up angry that the sweet release of death hasn't taken one of you out of this loveless hosed up marriage.

Somewhere in here the idea of swinging is going to come up casually as an almost joke when you are both in the blissful release of a nice drunken buzz, and one of you will actually be very open and interested in the idea. The other is going to wind up being an unhappy accomplice wondering why your partner wants to gently caress almost chubby guys with spray on tans, or watch the sacred hole through which your children came into this world be filled with all manner of different ethnicities of cock.

I'm late to bring this up, but sooner rather than later you're also going to screen positive for HPV, and your intel officer husband is going to take every bit of research skills he has from his job to convince you that you got it from donating blood or sitting on a toilet seat.

You didn't get it from the Red Cross or a trip to the shitter.

As it stands now though, you can walk the gently caress away and enjoy a life that I'm pretty sure would be better than the above. And you'll never have to see the inside of an officers wives meeting which is a lovecraftian hell that makes my description of your future seem like Charlie's trip through the chocolate factory.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

It's the line about HPV that puts it over the top for me.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cumshitter posted:

I killed a bad guy in a war once and he dropped some coins and some other cool stuff before his body flashed away. I killed a bunch of bad guys, actually.

If anyone wants to lavish me with praise for being a hero then go ahead.

Veterans of the Console Wars are an underappreciated bunch.

*gets thousand yard stare after hearing someone mention "TurboGrafx 16"*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Take this as coming from someone who hasn't ever even handled a gun, let alone participated in an armed occupation of federal land, but when I read the list of evidence, it seems like they had ammunition spread all over the place. Like, in envelopes or loose in drawers and whatnot, and I just can't understand how it would get like that. It seems like they made a deliberate attempt to stash random bullets everywhere, but I can't see what good it would do, even to a bunch of gun-crazed nutjobs. Any insight into what their freedom-addled brains were doing?

It indicates their plans and preparations were heavily influenced by PS1-era Resident Evil games.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

This is hilarious.

red19fire posted:

I was going to say 'Siege preparation somewhere between Home Alone and a squirrel burying nuts for the winter' but this is perfect.

Seriously, when I read about how they left stray ammo just lying around, I flashed back to finding handfuls of 9mm rounds in garbage cans, desk drawers, and random other locations in the early part of Resident Evil 2 so hard that my spoken dialogue got really stilted and I started placing emotional emphasis on random words in each sentence.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alkydere posted:

Games still do that. I mean I can kinda understand in post-apocalypic settings like Fallout where poo poo's just left wherever by squatters after dozens of years but some games get really silly about it when you think about it. The first example that springs to mind is Deadspace 2. Yes the protagonist is primarily using reconfigured engineering tools to fight of zombies, but it's pretty strange to find plasma cutter ammo, sawblades or loving detonation packs, let alone ammo for the straight up plasma rifles in the middle of domestic settings. And these weren't placed here after the apocalypse by squatters, you're basically walking around in the middle of the space-zombie apocalypse as it's happening so why is there a crate with Flamethrower or Detonator ammo in this kid's room I just walked through?

At least the voice acting is less cringe-worthy, these days.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

I wonder if more pessimistic countries are inoculated against this nonsense a bit? In the US folks believe that freedom is essential, corruption is intolerable, and justice exists. The constitution is practically holy writ, and the founding fathers are all but infallible. So when the American Dream doesn't materialize for you personally, it must be that something is wrong, horribly wrong, and you just need to find the secret code to get back to the ideal USA that civics class promised you.

Old world countries seem to have more resignation for life's little imperfections.

It's spread to at least the British Commonwealth, with the Freemen on the Land being their equivalent to our SovCits.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

sugar free jazz posted:

I move that the judge recuse themselves due to a conflict of interest stemming from being an officer of a corrupt and illegal "government" all those in favor say aye

*dead silence fills the courtroom*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

"A lodge is a place you wreck up and poo poo all over, right?" He added.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I love that most of their beliefs boil down to " Show me in the rules where it says a dog can't play basketball".

Often while directly ignoring where it actually says that dogs can't play basketball.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Krinkle posted:

Sometimes someone fucks up so completely I feel waves of relief that I will never, never have to explain how I lost my leg shooting a lawnmower I personally packed full of explosives for a youtube video.

Or how I ruined my fancy shirt and blinded myself microwaving a glowstick.

Some folk will never lose a leg,
But then again, some folk'll...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > C-SPAM > A jury is judging those Bundy hicks

Sold.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Then you are a Free MACHO Man on the land.

Oh yeah, oh yeah this is the place the place to be yeah but I don't consent to joinder oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah 'cause this is an admiralty court not common law oh no, not today, not tomorrow, not any day of the week because I am free, oh yeah, a free man on the land oh yeah.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

i don't really remember the specifics but who is david fry and why was he just caught up in the middle of it being mentally ill?

He's the twitchy one we nicknamed Kylo Meth who, if I remember right, it turns out wasn't really dedicated to the cause like the other extremists because he was genuinely crazy and only got kept around because Finicum liked and spoke up for him.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

The bundys proper still have another trial in Nevada tho right

Ammon does, not sure about the others.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

brugroffil posted:

No, and a jury never has to.

True, but if this was a bunch of sovcit sympathizers nullifying, you know they won't be able to resist shouting that they did so to the heavens sooner or later.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Three Olives posted:

WTF? How? I thought the acquittal announcement was a joke.

You want a joke? I'll tell you a joke: the justice system.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

Thread title change plz. Mods.

VikingSkull posted:

I messaged BM with one

I just changed it. And this has me genuinely upset, so my apologies ahead of time if it's not the funniest thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

can you add "God is Dead" to the end plz

I'm fine leaving that implied, since we all agree on it anyway.