Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oh cool, how many transit systems does it have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Chocobo posted:

They could probably salvage this product by dropping the entire online component and just making the goddamned Freelancer 2 we all wanted in the first place.

Back when I backed I was happy enough for a coop Starlancer 2, now look at where the gently caress we are.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I too have been experimenting with a flight model in Unreal

https://streamable.com/jbk7a

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^holy crap they're still making that? loving love it.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
July Set 2

PederP posted:

No-one is capable of creating the game they've sold to the backers.

The AI alone is beyond what's possible with current technology. It doesn't matter what the budget is, who is on the team and who is leading. On the contrary the incompetence of the current leadership (and possible some of the developers, I wouldn't know), has the fantastic effect of obscuring that this is a pipe-dream. Capable developers, project managers and producers would figure out this isn't doable and compromise so they could deliver as much valuable as possible. But in particular Chris and Tony Z, have promised such outrageously unrealistic features (and in some cases even claimed they have them running internally), and going back on that would result in massive loss of face.

So it's by choice that they're not compromising (because their work so far has severely limited how much they can salvage if they scale back and compromise), and it's through inability they're not delivering.

What I would think is interesting, is when they realized that this isn't possible. At what point did they start to knowingly deceive backers, going beyond stupid optimism and lack of technical insight? I'm sure they all know by now that the vast majority of what they've promised simply cannot be done, but I also think at one point, the gang looked at the money pile and thought "WE CAN DO ANYTHING! And if we promise them more poo poo, they'll give us more money, so we can do even more! WIN WIN WIN!". There's a degree of deception inherent to making promises about a product and not buying open about risks, etc. They were doing that from day 1.

I urge anyone who still thinks this project could have been made by a different team with same funding, to look at even the initial crowdfunding pitch. It's completely unrealistic. Add the years of scope creep and its hilariously unrealistic. The project was doomed from day 1, and that's why I never spent a dime on it. I looked at it, and thought it might become something good if they compromise. But they never did, and I never bought in. I still got massive entertainment value from watching the project unfold, so Star Citizen is good.

==3.6 patch==
note: W/A means "work around"

Quavers posted:

3.6 is live :woop:

Known Issues
Players may get stuck on the initial loading screen. W/A: Alt+F4 and restart or attempt to suicide your character (on load screen) to force a respawn.
Missiles on the Anvil Ballista may occasionally be unable to lock and/or fire. W/A: Reclaim or respawn and try again.
Mission givers can sometimes be in the incorrect position and may not interact normally.
The HUD vanishes when the quantum drive is enabled.
Dropping the hacking chip on planetary surfaces can cause it to fall through.
Significant first person framerate reduction can occur.
Textures will display across the visor on some helmets.
AI ships have an unintended wing wobble behavior.
The terrain on Lyria might disappear in some areas (high terrain in high density areas),
:laffo:

Sarsapariller posted:

Calling it now on the "Anti-Air missile truck" before ever seeing one function in-game:

They will not have bothered to change the distance at which it can target or lock ships, so it will only be able to start trying to lock a missile at like 2km on the spaceships which will never be in range long enough for it to finish.

Ahahahahahahaha https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17153-Anvil-Ballista

loving called that one, jesus christ CIG doesn't do even the basic level of due diligence before making GBS threads this stuff out, this thing literally cannot threaten any ship in the game unless you fly directly at it and hover. This thing costs 140 USD, doesn't fit on any ship currently in the game, and has the single worst weapon in the entire game. On top of all that you can probably earn it in-game in under an hour of work.

GO GO GO BUY BUY BUY

Here's 700 dollars worth of this turd failing to shoot down a single ship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8fdWSmie-U

Sarsapariller posted:

Also CIG forgot to include a mechanic to allow you to reload the thing once you've fired the 8 missiles.

:lol:

:reddit: posted:

So I'm looking at all the hype posts and excitement about this thing and I just want to make sure I have this correct.
  • It costs 140 dollars
  • It can't fly
  • It can't even be transported on any of the ships currently in the game
  • The missiles only lock on under 2km
  • It uses the awful Star Citizen missile mechanics for lock on and tracking which means it basically isn't going to hit anything that's actively flying- all the videos show it taking a pack of 3 of these to blow away pretty much stationary targets
  • It has all the other problems that missiles have had for literal years and that still aren't fixed like inability to select which missile size you're firing and the severe animation desyncs
  • You can't even reload the goddamn thing once you've fired all your missiles off
  • On top of all that, it's absolutely zero threat to any ship with Size 3 shields
  • It's a ground vehicle which means, if the price structure of the other ground vehicles holds up, that you can probably earn one in-game for like 1/10th the credit cost of a similarly-priced ship

So, given all of that- why would you ever pay real money for one of these?

I'm sorry if this question nettles some people. Star Citizen is absolutely a great game, except for all the parts that are greedy cash-grabbing nonsense like broken vehicles that cost 3 times the price of a brand new AAA game. Please let me know how wrong I am so I can get back to consuming product and getting excited for next product.

Kosumo posted:

The absolute balls it must takes to charge nearly 3 times the price of a normal triple A game just for a single asset for an unfinished game that is currently still in alpha.

In the end, the guy selling the popcorn is the real winner.

10 out of 10, would mock again.

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG has begun ripping off games that haven't even released yet.

Beet Wagon posted:

I kinda get this sneaking suspicion that someone at CIG has realized the best this game is ever gonna be able to do is Rexzilla-style "let's meet here and do a big ground battle maybe with a spaceship in the background" and they're leaning way, way into that. Tons of the "totally not marketing" stuff is basically people doing Planetside 2 But Worse, and the sales and new ships and stuff seem to be focusing more on moving troops, ground battles, etc. On the other hand, whoever said that they probably are shifting the focus for Squadron and need a lot of these assets and might as well sell them could be right too, or we could both be right. It just seems like a big chunk of this last year has focused on kinda smaller ground battle stuff instead of the big insane "What if players could build their own planet" type poo poo they used to focus on.

Sarsapariller posted:

[quote=":reddit:"]Just started Star Citizen back up; why do I feel like the gameplay and enjoyment has gone backwards?
There seems to be a growing consensus among the remaining non-insane backers that these quarterly patches are actively making the game less fun. None of them quite seem to cross the gap between that and the final idea- that it's not less fun because it's bugged, it's less fun because the entire design is idiotic. The closer to complete it becomes, the worse it's going to be.

Bofast posted:

quote:

Calling stuff like normal maps "cheating" is inherently stupid because all modern game engines are basically just a large collection of smoke-and-mirrors tricks. Like you could literally list off the features added with each iteration of DirectX and they'd all be cheats by Roberts' definition. Until all lighting is fully ray traced and all geometry is calculated down to the molecular level, you're "cheating" to make things appear the way they do.

Good job, with this post you have just caused Star Citizen to be delayed for another 10 years while Chris tries to make the junior developers rewrite the engine to work directly against the hardware without any abstraction layers or APIs whatsoever.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Chris Roberts's Desktop Citizen

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I too have been experimenting with a flight model in Unreal

WORTH CLICKING: (joke at the end) https://streamable.com/jbk7a

Awesome Fidelity posted:

This reply got more upvotes than the CIG dev

Second most upvoted reply "Deleted by Nightrider-CIG" with bonus Lethality assessment

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen: Stop with this loving bullshit already

Agony Aunt posted:

Check out Mike's t-shirt..

Ghostlight posted:

beware reddit of our premium features such as paying :10bux: once instead of an insane subscription service that gold stars you like a loving kindergartener.

CIG Intern posted:

As mentioned, SOCS is R&D intensive, which means lots of prototyping, testing, and learning as we go. Tech like this tends to only show up on the Roadmap with a data/release associated when we have a much clearer picture of when it will be done.

quote:

This has got to be the biggest fair in the whole project yet. You guys still haven't gotten SSOCS down. I can understand the bugs and all the other goofy stuff going on with the game but you're really here telling everyone SSOCS is still being researched? The engine is a train wreck. At least be honest with your backers and tell them the truth. The engine isn't made of this huge multiplayer world.. I hope this is a lesson to everyone involved in this mess. Stop funding dreams.

Beexoffel posted:

'R&D', that's literally 'research and development', you know, the thing that Intel does, or GlaxoSmithKline, or Nestlé.
Hey CIG, it's 'production of a video game', not science and technology.

Virtual Captain posted:

95% of Star Citizen only exists as headcanon is what I've come to realize.

TheAgent posted:

I've said it before: Star Citizen is known industry wide to be an absolutely toxic project

anyone with any actual experience is staying the gently caress away, which is why they have jobs open for 18+ months and are promoting 24 year olds to department leads

TheAgent posted:

so why has charlie hall deleted every single tweet that mentions star citizen lol

TheAgent posted:

Star Citizen: putting the shopping cart before the horse

Scruffpuff posted:

I know Theranos isn't exactly news, but I was reading an article today and I couldn't get two paragraphs in...

quote:

Elizabeth Holmes dropped out of Stanford to found Theranos, inspired by a desire to help people like an uncle suffering from cancer. Combining the words "therapy" and "diagnosis" she started a company with the intention of revolutionizing phlebotomy, replacing extensive and expensive blood tests with a machine that could divine diseases from a drop of blood. And she didn't let little things stop her, like the fact that it was impossible.

Holmes and business partner Sunny Balwani continued to make grandiose claims -- going so far as to fake demos for investors -- while even their own staff and engineers told them their vision couldn't be realized. It wasn't a lie, it was just that the technology needed to catch up to the dream. A lie had been rebranded as a vision.

Jesus jumping Christ. How many more parallels can there be?

Strangler 42 posted:

Elizabeth Holmes was a college drop out (only 2 semesters!) that founded a business to create a completely unfeasible technology. Chris Roberts was cut from digital anvil and was out of the video game industry for a decade (even longer away from the programming end seeing as how he was mostly directing cutscenes and managing scope towards in the later years) and kickstarted a company to create an MMO game that was lightyears ahead of anything on the market. Both these clowns founded companies on pure hype, pulled in buttloads of cash, and then started work on developing products that were more or less impossible. It didn't matter that they didn't have the skills and knowledge to know what they were selling was impossible. They got the money and it was up to the people that they hired to make their dreams a reality. And those people got yelled at then fired when they couldn't deliver. And after years of fake blood test demos and sand worms, it will come tumbling down.

colonelwest posted:

Lando is such a little insecure oval office. He's like the poster child of failed Gen X nerds; a quivering ball of self-loathing wrapped in endless puerile nostalgia for the 70's and 80's and tedious faux-intellectualism. He only works inside the bizarre bubble of Star Citizen, because he's a reflection of the backer's own selves.

"NO, everyone must watch every second of my inane banter with devs as I try to pointlessly assert myself over them and make pathetic attempts at humor! How else will they understand game development!?"

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 30, 2019

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

July Set 3

Saw posted:

Any truth to this being a leaked page from Robert's script?

quote:

{Story Branch - deck crew death after player launches before waiting for proper motions from the shooter - disable input controls}

[Captain White] Goddammit <PlayerName>! I was told you were a qualified pilot. What the hell kind of stunt were you pulling, launching before the deck crew ran through all of their tasks? You launched before the shooter gave you the take-off signal. We've got a member of the crew who caught your engine exhaust right in the face in sickbay now. Likely he'll be retired from the UEE Navy prematurely due to his injuries thanks to your impatience. I'm getting too old to deal with hotshots who think they know better. Report to 'Pusher' for your re-education on proper launch protocols ASAP! Get out of my face now, you maverick!

[Transition]

[Naraya 'Pusher' Fell] While you await launch, watch the deck crew. At first, a number of green shirts will come in to give your ship a quick look over to make sure everything looks OK. Next, the plane director will step out to give his OK. If they believe you are go for launch, they will give this signal {todo: mocap Sandi acting out 'passing the ball'} that indicates they're passing the ball to the shooter. If the shooter agrees that you can launch, they will give this signal {todo: mocap Sandi acting out 'launch'} - indicating that you can now launch. Launching before all of the deck crew finishes their jobs is a danger, not only to them, but to you as well <PlayerName>. Do you follow me <PlayerCallSign>?

{todo: blur transition to Pusher recalling a memory from her early days, and having then Commander Bishop disciplining her for some infraction. Need to fulfill promise to Sandi of having 1 on 1 sceen time with Oldman}

{Player response tree LRT1aef - enable controls for a,b,c reponse possibilities}
A. Wow, that sure is a lot to remember. You must be so smart Pusher.
B. So smart, so beautiful, and so deadly to the Vanduul - the UEE is so lucky you as one of us, Pusher.
C. You have a gift for teaching - it's remarkable how much you know for only being 27 years old!

{Game response tree GLRT1aef - select random}
A. GoSub PusherGivesHardAssButFriendlyReminderToKeepYourWitsAboutYou [todo: more mocap of crew letting player know how lucky they are that they got off relatively easy]
B. GoSub PusherSmiles {todo: get animators to alter mocaps of Sandi's smile to look more human}, player is allowed to resume control of character's motion.
C. GoSub Pusher demotes <Player>. One ship at random {todo: make random==highest cost} is taken from player.

Wow star citizen really is a joke for the great majority of people huh, lol

Scruffpuff posted:

quote:

There's no point fixing bugs in SC because none of its systems, NONE of them, are remotely finalized from a design standpoint. So if you're going to end up having to ditch and remake it why fix bugs in it?
7 years in and we still haven't even hit the "proof of concept" level yet.

There's not even a SINGLE level to demonstrate what the single player SQ42 is supposed to be like, much less approaching a finished game.
There's also never been a server that can support anything near MMO levels of players or persistent state.

This isn't a game. Its the world's most elaborate and expensive game pitch.
Exactly. Star Citizen is stub code attached to models you can sort of move around. There aren't really bugs because the game isn't actually assembled in a sane way. Is it a "bug" that everything clips through everything else, that no missions function, the endless parade of problems? No - that's what you would, and should, expect when you throw a bunch of models into a game engine with no substructure and no plan.

Star Citizen is a 3D screenshot generator and there's not a lick of game code in it. What could they possibly "debug?" Even calling them "bugs" is a way for CIG to sell the lie: they're making a game, games have bugs, and therefore the bugs prove they're making a game.

==Bumper Sticker Contest==

It seems like we kinda paused on the tier 0-1's for other jobs.

If memory serves we should have at least had tier 0 for most jobs and careers by now. That announcement was 2 years ago right? What happened or is happening? There are still lots of careers that need attention. Some like pathfinding and some major parts of exploration are waiting on other planetary systems. However we can still see those that don't have these blockers.

Here is a breakdown:

Repair- we could easily see this one. It isn't even on the roadmap yet. We even have a multi-tool now.
Science- We still don't even know anything beyond just the mention.
Medical- IMO tier 0 of this is not stabby meds.
Salvage- This one is on the roadmap. Though, seems a bit anemic and obscure to me. Even being this close to release.
Tier 1 Cargo- we should be in the place where this can begin. It was waiting on IS 2.0. That has been done for a while now. Right?
Tier 1 Mining- we could see some evolution in mining. They did nice work on the first piece. It is just limited in it's scope of function.
Trade Tier 1- It is seriously time to see more elements on such a loadstone of any mmo. It is a bit concerning that we don't have more about this already out. MMO's depend on economies.
Multi-Crew- This is like a cornerstone of what the concept of SC was/is. You can invite people on your ship sure. They can touch stuff sure. Them having a reason to spend the time... not so much.
Scanning Tier 1- time to move past just the golf-swing ping waves. This could also support SAR and Repair and Salvage. Not just be used to peer into cargo holds like some creepy voyuer.

ETC... This list is long enough to prove the point.

The point being, that with all the customary delays and the backlog and all the work left to do to make these reasonable and respectable implementations, why are we still not seeing more at a faster rate. If SQ42 is so close to being pushed out. Why can't some of those resources be put toward addressing these things? They can already do the straight to flyable thing. So why not fast track some ships in the backlog? Why not devote resources to what can be done now so that it can be tested? Just curious.

Sarsapariller posted:

An excellent thread:

What happened to the damage model we were shown in 2015?

100% authoritative Citizen answers include:

* It is in the game
* It is not in the game but it is coming
* It's in the game but they toned it down because the original was too much work
* It's on the roadmap for Q4
* It is in the game but it only works for some ships
* It is in the game but it only works on some servers
* It is in the game but the damage on weapons is much lower than in the demo
* It's totally in the game and it happened to me yesterday

Whatever the answer is, some things are for certain: It's not Chris Roberts' fault, Citizens are 100% happy with the state that it's in, and they definitely have a good grasp of what is going on with development. If you disagree you are a FUDster troll and you must be downvoted.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Jesus Christ CIG do something dumb and for god’s sake do it soon.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009
Thank you again. The time and effort you have put into the recaps is appreciated.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
did the bumper sticker shitposters get banned?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

haven't checked up on SC in awhile because its really tiring in a way but has this game been released to universal applause and caused fort nite and [other popular game] to become mere shadows now that 99% of people are living the star citizen dream???

i assume so

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You're actually posting from inside the verse right now, how's that for verisimilitude?

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I'm having trouble believing even Star Citizen's super server could run Radium's hellcode.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The reason SC is struggling is because they're trying to create the matrix from inside the matrix. :aaaaa:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lofi posted:

You're actually posting from inside the verse right now, how's that for verisimilitude?

this explains why i’ve been juttering through the walls after waking up every morning :2bong:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Alright for some, I've been stuck in my starting room for weeks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Delete you user.cfg file commando.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Meanwhile I'm sitting here mad that I didn't buy into early access and have to grind my way up, and my friends are already driving Ferrari's and living in mansions.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've been seeing Star Citizen around on the Internet, but it seems like such a rabbit-hole clusterfuck I can't quite put my finger on it all. It looks like a highly enjoyable trainwreck to observe, and I want in on the show. Can someone do a TLDR of the whole thing?

From my understanding, it is a crowdfunded space game that is ambitious to the point of impossible, with lots of money thrown at it and still no completed product after years and years of development. And people pay money to buy spaceships? So, is there any kind of game that people are playing, or is it short tech-demo levels or what? Is there a huge community of people in denial still pumping money into a project that can't ever be completed? If it can't, why can't it? Is it a hilariously buggy mess?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

henpod posted:

I've been seeing Star Citizen around on the Internet, but it seems like such a rabbit-hole clusterfuck I can't quite put my finger on it all. It looks like a highly enjoyable trainwreck to observe, and I want in on the show. Can someone do a TLDR of the whole thing?

From my understanding, it is a crowdfunded space game that is ambitious to the point of impossible, with lots of money thrown at it and still no completed product after years and years of development. And people pay money to buy spaceships? So, is there any kind of game that people are playing, or is it short tech-demo levels or what? Is there a huge community of people in denial still pumping money into a project that can't ever be completed? If it can't, why can't it? Is it a hilariously buggy mess?

It's a Kickstarted Spacegame by Chris Roberts who generally had a lot of nerd good-will for being involved with the Wing Commander in a high-profile way. They were somewhat campy games, but at least the early part of the series was pretty decent for its time.

Then once the money started rolling in, the promises grew.

And they started adding backer rewards after the original crowdfunding was done, often for things they were lightyears from implementing, and which could cost absurd amounts. You had people paying over 10,000 dollars for spaceships that weren't even implemented yet and existed as nothign but promotional material, thus the joking that people were paying thousands of bucks for JPEG's.

The "playable" alphas delivered so far are incredibly shy of the ultra space MMO that's been promised, as well as being incredibly, hilariously buggy. And this is, I think, at this point, something like three or four years after when Chris Roberts had originally promised we'd be sure to have a playable game.

And that's just the 100% confirmable, tangible stuff. There are also rumours(often with some pretty convincing circumstantial evidence) of weird shell companies, embezzlement and misappropriation of company funds, spending I think something like ten grand on a novelty spaceship front door for their offices, etc. the madness is deep.

As for the "why can't it be completed" it's mostly to do with the fact that A) they promised poo poo that would be near-impossible in any engine, B) they chose an engine that wasn't even good for what was possible and C) the project management is hilariously incompetent.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
That's awesome, thank you. The hardest part to believe is people spending thousands for some nonexistent pixels for a game that is forever in development. Is there any badwill towards them at all from backers, or are they all delusional?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

henpod posted:

That's awesome, thank you. The hardest part to believe is people spending thousands for some nonexistent pixels for a game that is forever in development. Is there any badwill towards them at all from backers, or are they all delusional?

Yeah theres the occassional reddit thread that reveals a number of people that have either lost interest or that feel negatively towards the project, but there's nit much they can do becaude CInotG killed whatever means to get a refund and people dont want to challenge via chargeback, so they are stuck in limbo.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

henpod posted:

There was a strong contingent of goons supporting this game in its early days (myself included) before it became obvious that it was all going to turn to poo poo, after which most people either got refunds or forgot that the project existed and moved on with their lives.

Criticism and satire of the project has contributed to a real circling of the wagons from those who remained actively involved with it and while occasional cracks do show, traditionally anyone who isn't projecting cult-like reverence towards the project, even when pointing out it's obvious flaws, is slammed by the community.

I'm not saying that everyone with a continued positive interest in this project is a broke-brain who is treating it like a religion but the most visible community figureheads have done and they set the tone and optics for everyone else. While I'm sure that people have gotten sick of this bullshit along the way and vented it online there's been nothing close to a mass rebellion from actively engaged players and the game makes just enough 'progress' patch to patch to keep the majority faithful, seemingly.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Now that I have context, i've gone through the thread to see the highlights as kindly posted by the OP and this is awesome. I love a good trainwreck.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

Get caught up:

2014 - 2016
RunRunMoneyTops - Now you're caught up
All time greatest hits
A historical catalog of Star Citizen drama - Some of the more outlandish stuff, explains some of the thread injokes and callbacks

Is a good place to start. Sunk Cost Galaxy (playlist) can be had alone or as a chaser.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Commando1 posted:

Hello, just wanted to know if you guys are working on the stamina bugs, spikes of heartrate and heart attacks. It's been quite annoying since i started playing in 3.3 and still is in 3.6. I know that a lot of my org mates have the same issues during our FPS OPS on Rexzilla's stream or in the PU, and the issue has been reported in the issue council multiple times.
It must be a bug, running/sprinting/jumping/crouching shouldn't kill you even if you're tired as hell. Pass out, sure, not die.

Commando2 posted:

Heart attacks are the worst aspect of the game right now.

Commando3 posted:

This has been an ongoing issue for quite a few patches.

Commando4 posted:

poor bastard, i have watched REX fall MORE MORE to fatal heart attacks than BULLETS!

monkeytek posted:

7 years of development and people are just complaining about dying for doing such crazy things like running lolololololol

They deserve to have their money taken.

monkeytek posted:

Developer: Hello Chris we are really interested in your earth shattering tech. Can you give us a quick run down!

Chris: Yeah, Um. It allows up to 48 players on a server to play at up to mid-30 fps for the first hour or two after reboot, as time goes bye it does go down of course. Ramps and doors kill you along with any sort of aerobic activity! AI will fire in random directions and at times simply not spawn. Now elevators, let me talk about elevators...

Developer: <click>

Chris: Hello? Hello?

Dwesa posted:

Is this the state of sweet ignorant bliss that is achieved by accepting all SC apologetics?

colonelwest posted:

CIG is really leaving money on the table here. They should be selling a system of four networked vehicles that you can command your peons to control like the real life Russian S-400.

Sarsapariller posted:

I mean they have literally sold radar ships, c&c ships, and long range missile ships

it's just that they didn't put any of that in the game

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There was a thread on spectrum, i think, literally asking for suites of support vehicles for the ballista.

And another one where a guy just wanted a chow wagon because the ballista didn't have any facilities for long term deployment or something.

Sarsapariller posted:

I really think they're just selling SQ42 assets. They make perfect sense as low or reduced-poly ground vehicles to shoot at in there. Like imagine that you're selling a space-carrier sim in this day and age- you probably want to have some ground targets for your player to fly down and shoot. Tanks and ballistic missile platforms can be a fun to drop bombs on or whatever.

But now imagine you're Chris Roberts- you may need the help of anesthetic or a medical lobotomy for this. Those low-detail assets can be sold to players in your other game! All they're going to need is: cockpits, interiors, full-fledged combat mechanics, seven complete re-works, and a total overhaul of your other game to incorporate a bunch of ground combat. Easy peasy! What do you mean they're costing us more than they're making? Charge more for them, then! God, it's like I have to do everything around here! gently caress! Make another loving commercial, the whales will come around! No, don't actually finish any of the mechanics- just get it done!

Sarsapariller posted:

So if you were wondering about what point Citizens would really start to go full-negative on CIG, it appears that the roadmap update has your answer.

I'm starting to wonder if people were laid off or all sent to SQ42. SOMETHING for sure is going on.

Honestly feels like every patch gets "severely reduced" or gets called a QOL/backend patch.

Jeez, two weeks of essentially no progress except for on tasks that were do last month. Really not good

Star Citizen actually came out in 2014 2016 as promised, the community managers just forgot to tell anyone.

Idk what CIG is doing nowadays, they have become pretty lazy with out money

just remember- this was a complete change of behavior for CIG, and in no way could any of this have been predicted. If you were mad at the company before now, it is because you are a troll. You can be mad right now, but as soon as hype videos start to roll out you need to shut up and support them again, they are working hard for your money. Then you can be mad again after they have your money and the stuff in the hype vids comes out broken or not at all. Please refer to the general subreddit calendar on acceptable times to be mad.

CI are the most honest, transparent devs in the game industry.

I want to sell my Star Citizen Account
I'm an old man of 69 years old and has heart problems, bladder cancer and don't know if I'll ever play Star Citizen before it is ready as time goes buy and my heath is going slowly.

[removed by moderators]

kilus aof posted:

https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/1158788397529538560

I like how he has added Gamescom to his Twitter display name despite the fact CIG isn't attending and is only going to bars near Gamescom.

Sarsapariller posted:

Still loving the shadow game they're playing with the 890. It's in 3.6! No, 3.6.1! We're now almost half a quarter past the "Release" date and they can't even do live video footage of the thing.

The 890 is really a make or break point for the community- it's the first great big super expensive megaship and the first one in the game with a hangar. I have no doubt that given enough time, CIG could probably do some kind of hangar mechanic- but on a moving ship, that works even 20% of the time? They'd have to cut through 7 years of movement and position bugs, and also figure out a shitload of things related to ship spawning and possession that they have been punting on for the whole lifetime of the project.

Basically the first actual hangar represents a great big wall of work that they can't put off any longer. They put the yacht on the schedule for whatever reason, and they've already gone two rounds hyping the hangar portion of it specifically. They can't just poo poo it out the door with a non-functional cavern in the middle of the ship and call it good enough. I mean they probably will, but it's going to be a giant hole below the waterline for the faith of a lot of the remaining mega whales.

Virtual Captain posted:

A nice thought but that salvage ship (Reclaimer?) that CAN'T SALVAGE is considered a huge success because it is big and the legs move a little when they collide with something. Literally all they have to do is make a jpeg fly, shitizens do not care if it does or does not do the thing(s) it was billed as.

The reason being they have:

Sarsapariller posted:

my suspicion is that hangars are on a different level- putting a small thing inside a big thing is fundamental to the dreams of Citizens. Literally half of Citizen conversation is "Will X fit in Y? Can Z ship carry seven of Q ship?" They care so much about being able to launch a runabout from their Enterprise. In their minds it's still 1997 and this has never been done before even though it's a basic-bitch feature to be able to fly your vehicles around the geometry in pretty much every other game in existence now.

The 890 is being hyped repeatedly as the first step on that process. It can carry the missile thing! You can fit maybe two fighters inside it! Look at our screenshots! Given how salty they already are in general, if it slips past 3.7 and still isn't out, I think they're going to hit new heights of rage.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

There are two things that are fundamental to the dream; first, that you can buy ships now and second, you will receive them later. Eventually. So long as Christmas never comes then I, a child, can never be disappointed by what's not under the tree. Chris Roberts just figured out that keeping the lights up 365 is enough to fool the commandos every night into leaving him their milk and cookies before bed.

The people who bought this jpeg will wait forever even if it comes out without a hangar. Hell Chris could always ship Lesnick back to conduct an investigation into what happened.

==CIG spends more youtube time on bartender reworks==

After watching the latest ISC, I feel like I've been seeing the "bartender development" going on for too long now.

CIG said the bartenders are going to be the proof of concept for other dynamic shopkeepers and AI, and they wanted to use bartenders because they need to move around and interact with items, talk to players and NPCs, etc, basically prove out a bunch of the behavior that other 'peaceful' NPCs need.

We are 7 years in. Proof of concept?

colonelwest posted:

The bartender is one of the most interactive NPC's in the verse. What they learn from working with one bartender, they can use across the entire game. He walks, talks, reacts, receives, gives, laughs, cries, lives, loves.He does everything every NPC is going to eventually do. He is an important cornerstone to NPC development. So they can work on him all they want.

I can't believe that these idiots are still holding out hope for AI that is lightyears ahead of the rest of the industry from CIG, who can't even get background NPCs to walk simple scripted paths around a room after 7 years and 250 million dollars.

That subsumption switch will be flipped to on any day now, and all of that pointless mocapping will instantly carry over to thousands of other life-like NPCs!

Krycek posted:

Everquest had bartenders and functional elevators in 1999. How is it that gaming legend, Chris fidelity Robert's, 20 years later, can't do either one?

colonelwest posted:

NPCs will never be any better than they are now, and the Citizenry will quickly all forget about or internalize it. There will be a post once a month or so on Reddit about "hey remember how Chris promised us life long friendships with hyper intelligent NPCs? When will that be in the game?" The response will be a deluge of downvotes and a chorus of "IT'S ALPHA!"; followed by a few galaxy-brained effort posts dripping with cognitive dissonance about how subsumptive AI is actually fully developed and already in the game you see, it just hasn't been completely turned on yet.

Sarsapariller posted:

I think it's really telling that the defenders are now writing complete fiction. They used to take the bare threads of excuses that CIG would play out and run with them. But CIG's been forced into some kind of "Honest accounting" mode in the last year, and the honest account is that.... they basically can't accomplish anything. Rather than see the writing on the wall, guys like Kazan and logicalChimp are retreating further and further into this "Super-secret features that for some reason they won't tell us about." Nowhere is there any kind of logic about why something as dry and pointless as "Server side object container streaming" would be hidden. Nowhere do they explain why it would take more than a half-dozen people even for the most complex system that CIG could envision. What do they think 500 artists and level designers have to do with back-end code? Why on earth would they do feature after feature on chefs and towels while they have some kind of tech revolution cooking? It's insane- in a very literal way, the things they're imagining do not correspond to reality anymore.

We've reached what feels like the final stage, to me. The cultists are rocking back and forth in the cabin as everything falls apart around them, hugging their knees and chanting to themselves "Krusty is coming. Krusty is coming."

Sarsapariller posted:

A new episode of Inside Star Citizen is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EG-0nzkzrE

Summary:

* NPC's are finished! Well. The concept art for some NPC's is finished. Actually it's the concept art for a rework of the shopkeeper NPC's that are already in the game. What, you wanted forward progress?
* Bartender and Waiters have more "Flair." Holy gently caress no human being living or dead has ever cared about the flair on a piece of concept art for wait staff in a spaceship video game.
* I bet you'd like to see some space chefs, wouldn't you? You wouldn't? gently caress you. It looks like every other chef's uniform.
* Chris Roberts watched some Star Wars movies and now he forgot that "Bounty Hunter" isn't just a generic thing you can do, and he has demanded "Bounty Hunter" NPC's that look like Boba Fett got mugged by Judge Dredd. Don't worry, we didn't actually produce any of this- it's just concept art.
* Cold weather gear for the player! Well. Concept art for cold weather gear for the player!
* In-game plants, or something? Don't worry there's no mechanics attached and we're showing them in a greybox state.
* New, uh, counters? I had the sound off here but it's just some panning shots of perfectly boring counters, tables, and surfaces. Holy poo poo they have nothing
* We've almost finished the interior art for an alien spaceship! Nonfunctional, of course.
* We're still working on the interior for a spaceship that was on the roadmap for release a month and a half ago! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Now you may ask, how does it not constitute lying if we had it on the roadmap while knowing we'd be working on it well after the release date? The answer is: look at this beautiful ship's galley! Remember those concept art NPC's we showed earlier? You are supposed to imagine them working in here, on your yacht. They won't actually be, and we aren't suggesting that they will be- you won't catch us on camera making that promise! But we just wanted to show you some NPC's you might see in a galley, and then later show you this galley, and let you do some free association.
* Pool table and arcade machine! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Airlock for the hangar! Both sides of airlock open immediately as player approaches. That part needs setting up, still. It will never be set up.
* (The scene literally transitions to a completely separate one when he walks through the doors at 6:55. You can see the spawned-in spaceships settling. Not making it up, they are completely bullshitting everything about the hangar working.)
* This ship has a loving spa deck. Nonfunctional, of course. The amazing luxury towels featured on last week's episode make an appearance!
* Don't worry, the nonfunctional jacuzzi has undergone a complete rework. He actually says this.
* There is no water in the jacuzzi on the spa deck. Of course.
* That's it. This ship costs 900 dollars and is years behind schedule and won't expand the gameplay meaningfully when it's released. Nothing works, it's just art. The end, no punchline.

Sabreseven posted:

"You can sit down here"
"There are spaces to sit down in"
"Here you can sit down, possibly"
"Imagine rich people sitting here, waiting"
"When we get fish tech, there'll be fish here"
"This also forms a screen, where you can get changed"

Wtf is this? This isn't a space game, there's no actual gameplay, there's no potential even for gameplay, only an apparent artist showing off basic cookie cutter room design and asking people to 'imagine' things the whole way through, it's a ridiculous waste of money and time. Are they not supposed to be thinking about things like people running through there shooting stuff and lobbing grenades around?

Ghostlight posted:

"here's the airlock. of course we'll fix it so that both doors can't be open at the same time"

doors.

the eternal enemy

It is working fine. The ponzi scheme I mean.

having to sell new concept ships to pay for development of the old concept ships certainly has a ponzi-esque feel to it.

Thanks to component degradation, leaving Hurston atmo now takes 5+ minutes...

...if you stay within normal speed limits (<200 m/s) so you don't mess up your components.

Whoop-dee-doo...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, going over 445MPH in the year 2942 or whatever...christ, what a poo poo pile.

Of course, one can die of a heart attack running to your ship spawn so all seems in the lore.

Sarsapariller posted:

quote:

Whatever happened to the idea that eventually, the hanger that came with your ship, would open up to space or whatever and you’d fly your ship out from there? This seems like a way better idea than having a limited number of pads.

Chris happened

I mean it's really not hard to answer this stuff. The answer to any "Why didn't they just" question is always, at the core: "The game designer is a moron." That's it. Chris happened, just as he always happens. He is almost the perfect anti-manager. If you set him up in a glass box and just did the exact opposite of every single thing he told you to do, you'd probably get a pretty good game out on time and under budget.

Kosumo posted:

Squatty Potty was the best CIG tie in cos God only knows Chris Roberts is having trouble getting this poo poo out.

colonelwest posted:

https://twitter.com/CrpJester/status/1161436219445637120

I love when Citizens prosthelytize like this. He should start going door to door with pamphlets.

“Excuse me sir. Do you have a moment to talk about our video game lord and savior Chris Roberts? He absolved himself of his sins!”

People like this make me think Star Citizen is going to have a very long and bizarre afterlife.

Agony Aunt posted:

Star Citizen: The Best drat Space Sim Never

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why hasn't anyone done the doobie dog dinner

i cant be bothered

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
If you aren't familiar with star citizen then read this entire thread, it's worth it

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
no it's really not worth it

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

August Set 2
==Space Court lurches forward==

Baxta posted:

Crytek put up the cash. Guess they must think they have a shot. Should be interesting at least.

Crytek putting their life savings on 0 at the roulette table.

I spent the last 5 hours trying to play Star Citizen.

I probably won't log back on. Convince me otherwise? That was hell, it was the worst experience in any project I have ever had even tho some of the visuals were stunning. I do professional software dev, I can understand what an incomplete project looks like, but I've seen the videos where elevators, doors, ships, they all work. Voice chat works in videos. Did they break 90% of working functionality in the last patch? What THE gently caress IS GOING ON IN THIS PROJECT. PLS HALP.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

About 10% of the money I have as accessible "savings" in cash - not invested.

:thunk:

Why is money pledged to Star Citizen going towards Squadron 42?

If he can't make decent GAMEPLAY MECHANICS with a proper MMO engine in 10 years, he's a lying, scamming, con artist and should be treated accordingly.

He's been paying himself his brother and his wife mid 6 figure salaries for years and he hasn't done anything to deserve it yet.

Scruffpuff posted:

This is why I consider the Crobbler a crook and not just a vanilla failure. Nobody would fund his bad movie game, so he funded it with the promise of a product he didn't care about, and one far beyond his extraordinarily limited abilities. SQ42 was entirely possible, albeit inevitably bad. But nobody wants that, certainly not to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

In that sense he's worse than Elizabeth Holmes. At least she defrauded people over a very focused and specific lie.

Anyone buying the 890 jump upon release into Alpha?
A mate of mine wants to take a 1 grand loan from his Credit Union in order to get it. It was a bruh moment between us. Anyone else splashing the cash on it?

Bootcha posted:

So, in discussion with people of various knowledge specialties...

You guys should really read or re-read "The True Believer".

And you should stop thinking this is exclusively a "religious" phenomenon, and look at it from a political angle.

I'm not joking. The "cult" of Star Citizen has more to do with the mechanics of politics than it has to do with the mechanics of religious belief.

Sarsapariller posted:

They're not going to put out a big flashy demo at CitCon for the same reason they didn't put one out last year: All the big flashy demos were made by other companies, and they've burned everybody in the industry who could possibly work with them.

There is nobody at CIG competent enough to put together something like the sandworm demo, or the vertical slice. These guys can barely make sitting in a chair function correctly, you think they can put together 45 minutes of semi-interesting footage? All they ever produced for those things was the art assets- everything else was coming from other, better dev teams.

This year's CitCon will be a near-future preview of whatever poo poo assets they've managed to get working. It'll be thoroughly uninteresting and mostly focus on stuff that they will deliver in the next three months- new particle effects, new damage states, new missile contrails, whatever. Just random pretty poo poo. There won't be any promises or previews of big mechanics. That era is over. Chris is barely even connected to this thing anymore. I mean he really hasn't even appeared once in the last 6 months. His orders are to hunker down, don't say anything stupid, churn out minimal progress, and keep taking money until the last possible minute when he slams the doors and turns out the lights.

DigitalPenny posted:

It's the time of year I want to predict it's all going to come apart at citcon....but as I am capable of learning. This year we have to predict something else.

sebmojo posted:

Can I mix drinks this is important

I said come in! posted:

No, but you'll probably be able to have sex because it turns out that is literally all any of the big supporters want out of the game.

quote:

"Have sex" makes it sound a lot more consensual than what they actually want out of the game

I said come in! posted:

You are completely correct, to be honest. They want a literal space rape mechanic.

sebmojo posted:

There is only one mattress in my spaceship because of the implication

Beet Wagon posted:

quote:

Without hyperbole, what are the things you can do in sc at the moment? Box collecting missions, instance dog fights, fps shooty bits, flying round planets...? I played for half an hour when it was free but got bored before I found anything to do.

You can do the things you listed, and nothing more. But sometimes much, much less, because the things you listed often don't work lol

Sarsapariller posted:

Man the usual whale pacification strategies are just not working at all.

Been apart of this project since July 2014. Back then, backers and devs used the term "it's still so early in development". Even in 2016 we heard that. In 2018, same thing. Now we are on approach to 2020 and I find it baffling people still say "well, this early in development... blah blah...". Like no dude, it's been at least 4-5 years of active development on major parts of this game and all this complaining and posts like this are totally justified. Hope it doesn't stop until we get some serious updates. These past few weeks of roadmap updates have been very disappointing.

Chris literally said at $60 million, that they now have enough put away that regardless of future funding they can finish the game. Clearly not with all the ridiculous stuff he promised, but they can get it out.

No, they absolutely DO NOT have enough to put anything away, or finish anything.

We know - direct from CIG financials - that they had $14 million left at the beginning of 2018. We also know they burn between $4 and $5 million per month. Meaning that, by the time they received the money they said they would never take, from Calder, in May of 2018...they were broke, or close to it. Sure they claimed its for marketing only. Sorry, you dont sell of 10% of your kickstarted company for marketing when your game is a year or more from release.

They were desperate for cash. They needed Calder just to survive. Which is why, behind the scenes, he is calling the shots. Which is in turn why CR has stepped away from the camera...because they cant trust him not to say something utterly stupid or make promises they cannot keep.

They absolutely are low on funds. Everyone knows it.

Its gonna get ugly. Soon.

Scruffpuff posted:

I see reddit is still strugging with "who owns what percentage of the company" concept. Calders owns 10%, Chris owns 75%, so Chris "wins." Except that's not how anything works. Calders own 10% of the valuation of the company, a valuation arrived at by arcane measurements of current capital (physical and liquid) and projected income if delivery occurs and meets projected income. The actual real-world situation is very different. Calders owns almost 100% of the current operating capital of CIG. Which means if Calders says "gently caress it, we're out, and we're taking what's left of our money" then CIG is done at that very moment.

Screaming "but 10%!" into the void doesn't change that.

Sarsapariller posted:

When I think about the citcon demo we're going to get this year, I like to think back to the demo from 3 years ago and how far we've come since then.

(Skip to 1hr:50min)

*Working scopes
*Crashed Javelin
*Bandit barricades
*Sprinting up an inclined surface without dying
*Clouds in the background
*Dust storms
*Functional ground enemies with patrol route AI
*Silent melee takedowns
*Enemy biker gangs
*Sandworms that were NOT a joke

I mean, just think- three years on- and we're still able to dream about maybe someday seeing any one of those features!

quote:

do the scopes not work?

They just added the first weapon attachments a month ago, i.e. 3 years after that demo. They work exactly as poorly as you might expect with regard to physics and actually staying attached to poo poo, and the zoom function works by just zooming your entire screen.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Now the Citizens are arguing over a single half refill of $890 ship should cost the equivalent of $100 (full refill 250k UEC). Good times, good times. Let the cash flow.

I am a while and I am perfectly fine with this. Flying around the big ships needs to be an earned privilege.

Virtual Captain posted:

"Flying around the big ships needs to be an earned privilege. Also I purchased every single jpeg in my fleet with real money" just lol do they write this with a straight face.

I even made a deal with my wife and put aside $3k in a separate savings account just for when the Javelin comes up for purchase again (if ever). I realize I don't have any friends or anything so I'll most likely will have to assemble some shamble of an org myself

One in the Bum posted:

A J4G walks into a bar. "I realize I don't have any friends or anything, so I'll most likely have to give Lowtax :10bux:"

colonelwest posted:

That $100 refueling cost for your $890 nonfunctional luxury spaceship is just too perfect. Of course the whales dumb enough to have bought one have already internalized it all and spit out ridiculous rationalizations, all dependent on mechanics that don’t exist and will never exist.

Of course they will be the lords of the ‘Verse, they paid good money for it! Starter ship peasants will be lined up around the block to work menial jobs on their space yacht, and they will transport VIP passengers and get all of the prestigious high paying missions!

I'm an actor who's done mocap work for Star Citizen looking for a scene with two gunners and the player by a turret.

You're at least 1½ to two years too early.

big nipples big life posted:

asses of creation's battle royale test* is out and it's a new level of trash. the subreddit is an exact duplicate of star citizen with the whale defense force telling everyone akshually you don't understand game development. i'm sure some of the same faces are there but my brain shuts off after reading reddit for more than 90 seconds.

*not a test, this is going to be the game because it's all they have.

==IN-GAME PLUSHIE, HYPE!

they've followed a pretty clear and obvious pattern for 6 years now.

Pump out expensive, high quality, polished ships, with no currently implemented gameplay purposes. Tell everyone those gameplay mechanics are coming next month/later this year/early next year. A week or two before the announced release date, delay the gameplay mechanics another few months. Repeat indefinitely.

Sarsapariller posted:

A great article that is becoming increasingly relevant:
On "Cooling The Mark"

quote:

Sometimes, however, a mark is not quite prepared to accept his loss as a gain in experience and to say
and do nothing about his venture. He may feel moved to [p. 452] complain to the police or to chase after
the operators. In the terminology of the trade, the mark may squawk, beef, or come through. From the
operators' point of view, this kind of behavior is bad for business. It gives the members of the mob a bad
reputation with such police as have not. yet been fixed and with marks who have not yet been taken. In
order to avoid this adverse publicity, an additional phase is sometimes added at the end of the play. It is
called cooling the mark out After the blowoff has occurred, one of the operators stays with the mark and
makes an effort to keep the anger of the mark within manageable and sensible proportions. The operator
stays behind his team‑mates in the capacity of what might be called a cooler and exercises upon the
mark the art of consolation. An attempt is made to define the situation for the mark in a way that makes it
easy for him to accept the inevitable and quietly go home. The mark is given instruction in the philosophy
of taking a loss.

When we call to mind the image of a mark who has just been separated from his money, we sometimes
attempt to account for the greatness of his anger by the greatness of his financial loss. This is a narrow
view. In many cases, especially in America, the mark's image of himself is built up on the belief that he is
a pretty shrewd person when it comes to making deals and that he is not the sort of person who is taken
in by any- thing. The mark’s readiness to participate in a sure thing is based on more than avarice; it is
based on a feeling that he will now be able to prove to himself that he is the sort of person who can "turn
a‑fast buck." For many, this capacity for high finance comes near to being a sign of masculinity and a test
of fulfilling the male role.

It is well known that persons protect themselves with all kinds of rationalizations when they have a buried
image of themselves which the facts of their status do not support. A person may tell himself many things:
that he has not been given a fair chance; that he is not really interested in becoming something else; that
the time for showing his mettle has not yet come; that the usual means of realizing his desires are
personally or morally distasteful, or require too much dull effort. By means of such defenses, a person
saves himself from committing a cardinal social sin‑the sin of defining oneself in terms of a status while
lacking the qualifications which an incumbent of that status is supposed to possess.

TL:DR; Lando is a cooler

quote:

In all personal‑service organizations customers or clients sometimes make complaints. A customer may
feel that he has been given service in a way that is un- acceptable to him ‑‑ a way that he inter-prets as
an offense to the conception he has of who and what he is. The manage-ment, therefore has the problem
of cooling the mark out. Frequently this function is allotted to specialists within the organiza-tion. In
restaurants of some size, for example, one of the crucial functions of the hostess is to pacify customers
whose self--conceptions have been injured by wait-resses or by the food. In large stores the complaint
department and the floorwalker perform a similar function.

One may note that a service organization does not operate in an anonymous world, as does a con mob,
and is therefore strongly obliged to make some effort to cool the mark out. An institution, after all, cannot
take it on the lam; it must pacify its marks.

One may also note that coolers in service organizations tend to view their own activity in a light that
softens the harsher details of the situation. The cooler protects himself from feelings of guilt by arguing
that the customer is not really in need of the service he expected to receive, that bad service is not really
deprivational, and that beefs and complaints are a sign of bile, not a sign of injury. In a similar way, the
con man protects himself from remorseful images of bankrupt marks by arguing that the mark is a fool
and not a full‑fledged person, possessing an inclination towards illegal gain but not the decency to admit
it or the capacity to succeed at it.

But where do goons fit in?

Oh, there we are:

quote:

Finally, there are barbarous ceremonies in our society, such as criminal trials and the drumming‑out ritual
employed in court‑martial procedures, that are expressly designed to prevent the mark from saving his
face. And even in those cases where the cooler makes an effort to make things easier for the person he
is getting rid of, we often find that there are bystanders who have no such scruples.[6] Onlookers who are
close enough to observe the blowoff but who are not obliged to assist in the dirty work often enjoy the
scene, taking pleasure in the discomfiture of the cooler and in the destruction of the mark. What is trouble
for some is Schadenfreude for others.

Quavers posted:

Super seekret ship revealed :toot:

From SC Leaks Discord. It's called Aegis Nautilus, and almost no-one doesn't think it's a space-mine-layer.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

> Lone wolf gameplay support

> Multicrew of eight

Wut.png

Quavers posted:

:laffo:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

(+ travel and accommodation)

opportunity to buy a $675 space mine layer

crammed in rows like at a :10bux: diner

I'm crying :cawg:

Scruffpuff posted:

I've convinced the tophat is an undercover goon trying to see how far he can take it.

rePool posted:

Lowest voted for ship concept and they went for it. lol

Add minelaying to the backlog of salvaging, medical, farming, colonization, news reporting, etc. etc. etc.

Feature creep is real. I'm starting to think the game is getting further and further from release at this point.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A lot of peoples heads are exploding about the idea of a space minelayer. What's it going to mine? Jump points? Yeah sounds like great fun for everyone.

CeeJee posted:

Star Citizen: gently caress you, got minelayer

Sarsapariller posted:

We seem to have passed a tipping point this time. People are already getting disillusioned and for once in the life of the project more ships are not the answer. I'm betting we see a very-serious sit down chat from the Chairman next week where he does his shame-on-you routine and tries to flip the script on backers. No, it's your fault for having high expectations about our roadmap! Chances are it'll work, or at least drive off another layer of doubters, leaving that diamond-hard core of the craziest, most awful faithful just in time for the big Con.

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizens are angry:

NO, A LINE NEEDS TO BE DRAWN.

You charge us for literally every aspect of the game, you find new ways to nickel and dime players worse than any other publisher / developer. You're despicable and have for the last 7 years found new excuses to release new sales of concept ships under the justification to 'continue the funding of the game' but have historically failed to deliver on older pledges and promises that you've sold. You have a backlog of existing ships that you've sold, a dream to players of flying around the stars. You've continued to pile on MORE ships to this growing pile with the expectation that you will continue to gain more revenue. You don't deserve anyone's sympathy, anyones loyalty and especially anyones trust as you've at every point squandered the good will you've built this game around.

It's always another 'concept sale' or 'new promotion' to drive people to grab a credit card to buy the new garbage.

What happened to the Crucible, Merchantman, Polaris, Apollo, Hull A, Hull B, Hull D, Hull E, Redeemer, Endeavor, Hercules Starlifter, Prowler, Orion, Genesis, Pioneer, SRV, 100 Series, X1, Ranger, Idris-M, Idris-P, Kraken, Javelin, Mercury, San'tok.yāi, Corsair, Vulcan and every other ship that you've sold a concept for with not a single word on when they will eventually arrive.

Crazy idea, how about you put a stop to this concept sale garbage and start completing ships you've already sold before selling us some new kooky idea of some gameplay mechanics that a marketing puppet came up with on the toilet. You owe us a guarantee on when a ship should be completed. A timeframe IE 2 years or 5 years from concept. You can't just keep dropping new ships and ignoring the older pledges because you want our money now. Eventually, critical mass is going to take over and people are going to get angry. Some of the ships I've listed above have been bought by players YEARS ago and have been dead silent on progress.

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't know if you guys saw it, but there was a thread on that dinner posted on resetera and SC defenders are getting eviscerated there:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ye...75-ship.137162/

I don't think the word 'macrotransactions' is enough for this phenomenon any more.
I prefer the sound of 'ultrasactions' for anything above £100

During the presentation three developers presented the ship and the different tasks and aspects of the design. The Nautilus should be shown as a nearly finished model in 3ds Max, which crashed right at the beginning and hung up the whole PC (without a crash this would not have been a CIG event). When the whole PC was down Chris Roberts left the room towards the bar. Next I saw him with a beer in his hand looking down from the gallery.

My oppinion to the presentation: I was a bit disappointed, that there was nothing shown ingame, as I thought it would happen. Just a 3DS Max and a Powerpoint presentation, isn't what I expected to see. What they have shown was a good progress of how the ex- and interiour of the ship is going to look. It is really similar to the Hammerhead from the Interiour. The only thing i just missed were that they show how the deployment of a drone could work. We've seen the bays on the top and bottom, but not the mechanics on how they walk thru the ship to outside. The Q&A was good and informative.

The Food was OK. I was disappointed that the service people were to busy to realise, some people had no dishes. There wasn't enough potatoes for all. The Meat was good, but I were more into a conversation and almost had no time to eat. :D So overall the portions were really small sized. Like the deserts. Not enough bread for the starters etc. At least there has been enough beer and wine for all. ^^

peter gabriel posted:

there wasn't enough potatoes for all

Slow_Moe posted:

Hot air and small lunch.

shrach posted:

I'm interested in the final line, "At least there has been enough beer and wine for all."

Plying people with alcohol is literally the go to tactic of a wide array of people that want something from another party. Throw in the fact they did it to people they controlled to be on an empty stomach and you have some careful planning that deserves recognition.

HexiDave posted:

* 3ds max Crashed
* C. Roberts ran off to drink
* New ship for purchase isn't done
* Devs talked about mines

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Picturing a plastic platter of wieners slapped down on a table of rowdy Star Citizens in between the pretzels and French fries, fat guys in costumes quaffing Fanta to wash down the mozzarella sticks or spiced cheese selection or whatever, seven meaty mitts grabbing at the hotdogs, the sound of someone sucking juice off their finger or is it a bratwurst hard to tell

Daztek posted:

"it wasnt a sales pitch! it wasnt a sales pitch!!", i continue to insist as i slowly open my wallet and dump my savings into crobert's waiting hand

AbstractNapper posted:

The dinner was a ruse.
They were actually being motion captured for the infamous cafeteria scene, hence the benches.
Chris directed the whole thing from above.

I can't wait for the SQ42 soldiers being a bunch of blank faced NPCs squeezed into too small chairs and enjoying procedurally generated green sauce :d:

Dementropy posted:

Critical Hit

"Cloud Imperium Games have been at the receiving end of criticism regarding Star Citizen's massive funding that was seemingly squandered over the years. The new expensive ship announced during an extravagant dinner is not helping the look."

"The game had raised over $233 million at the time of writing and there were previous bank loans that undoubtedly increased the scope of funding. Six years have passed since the original announcement and there is still no game to show for it."

"Squadron 42 Alpha is supposedly coming in 2020 but that's only the singleplayer portion of what CIG promised and some people are now calling Star Citizen a Ponzi scheme and Fyre Fest of video games."

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh come on! We've been saying that since 2015, at least!

quote:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

"Family style"

Meaning you have to share with the other 20 nerds crammed at the table.

How much did they pay for this again?

colonelwest posted:

So CIG charged $275 for a meal that I could get at my local German restaurant in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, for 30 bucks; and I actually could sit at my own table instead of being packed in like cattle. Then the Crobbler and company sat them down for a hard sell pitch for a $675 JPEG, and ran off with a six figure haul like thieves into the night.

The poor dumb scammed bastards then tweeted and posted all over the place with pictures chronicling their shame, convinced that they are truly privileged and that their new life in space is just around the corner.

trucutru posted:

You have to take into account these are forty-something nerds you're talking about. You cannot just drop something adventurous, like tacos with bleu cheese (and a dollop of yogurt) on top of them.

Statutory Ape posted:

Lol hot dogs and fries at this thing

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Rad-daddio posted:

MOM?

MOM!

CHICKEN TENDIES NOW!

I was under the impression a large ship like the 890J would be flown from a pilots seat, not the captains chair

With a capital ship I was under the impression you would have Pilots at the front, and the the captain in the middle back chair.

monkeytek posted:

Holy crap, the SBS brigade on MMORPG are claiming that the "bugs" and "errors" in the game are actually tied only to certain accounts. According to them most are experiencing no issues at all. Is it too soon for Baghdad Bob yet?

boviscopophobic posted:

Also Chris is hard at work coding the physics refactor of the game, and SSOCS which will be coming will come in tandem with Item Cache 2.0 which will allow much better persistence then we currently have in the game. He gave an example where you leave a ship somewhere out in the open, walk away (a long distance), logout out at an outpost for example, and come back into the game, your ship would still be there.

Croberts is personally refactoring the physics? :eyepop: :popeye:

Geisladisk posted:

The game doesn't even matter anymore. It's just a name to pin on his fantasies. His description of the game isn't him describing the gameplay of a video game, it's just a nice, juvenile daydream about being a spaceship captain.

It's almost creative. If this guy would channel his obsession with SC and the fantasies it's spawned into writing, he could write some really lovely juvenile mary-sue sci-fi.

I did this when Star Wars Galaxies was coming out. I didn't know anything about the game, except that my friend had told me about this awesome Star Wars MMO that was coming out and it would be Just Like Star Wars and you could do whatever you wanted.

Of course, I was twelve, and daydreaming. This guy is a grown-rear end adult with a disposable income, posting his daydreams on the internet as fact. He literally cannot discern between make believe and reality.

Scruffpuff posted:

Listen, Chris needs more money to complete his pet project, a very bad "movie game" that's neither, and that nobody wants. In fact, people would pay willingly to prevent its release. So what if he just held a concierge event and took money for a ship that doesn't exist in a game he's not making, and then used that stolen money to fund his own personal vanity project? The man codes 80 hours a week with advanced physics - that's guaranteeing cutting-edge physics algorithms that NASA will want to pay rights for to help fund their Mars missions. Nothing but the best from the man who thinks you can swim in space if you wave your arms a certain way. I for one am sick of all the negativity surrounding this project, everyone is acting like lying, stealing, fraud, and misrepresentation are bad things. They're not seeing the bigger picture here. I'm literally debugging a device driver while I type this.

I feel like an article on the Sunk Cost Fallacy should be pinned to the top of the Star Citizen subreddit. Forever.

something is either holding them up this quarter or they made another amazing breakthrough.

Since they are quiet. they probably made another major breakthrough.

Sarsapariller posted:

quote:

This video is incredibly tedious and dumb so don't watch it, but it turns out if your friend lands his space ship on your 890 jump, you can sell *his* cargo and get paid for it

I guess maybe this is intended as the first iteration of player to player trading, but as it stands right now it means that uhhhhh you can steal from your friends without them being able to stop you lol

So I'd bet anything that what's happening here is an unintended consequence of CIG's hacky bullshit for box carrying.

Someone at CIG (Chris) said "Hey we need to let people carry poo poo onto their ships and make it persistent. It will be exciting. In fact, carrying boxes one by one is the only way to transport things in the future." So they built a system where if you walk a box onto your ship and it becomes part of the ship's physics grid, the ship "Owns" that box.

Then someone at CIG decided that anything that the ship "Owns" should be sellable- both the cargo (fully physical) that exists in the hold, and any boxes that are carried on board. All of it counts as "Owned" by the ship so it will show up in trade consoles- easy peasy!

Well now here comes the difficulty multiplier- one ship with cargo is now landed inside another ship. Oops, the big ship is counting everything in the smaller ship as part of its inventory!

I don't think this is fixable. I'm sure it's not the extent of the bug, either. I wonder how many bugs you could generate, doing poo poo like carrying boxes in between the two ships, or dropping one from the ramp of one ship onto the other, or selling items out of the smaller ship after carrying them in from the big ship. Guaranteed they have not covered a single edge case here.

peter gabriel posted:

SSOCS?

it stands for 'poo poo poo poo Oh Crap, poo poo!' and it comes from Chris's own mouth as he was coding the physics late one night

his nibs posted:

Game development didn't start until in the future

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/474868266?t=00h30m29s

Rotten Red Rod posted:

holy poo poo "at some point they're going to have to start marking the game"

pack up the thread my dudes, no way we can do better than this

Edit: "starting to try to finish" ahahahahahaha

peter gabriel posted:

I played a bit of Just Cause 3 last night and it constantly surprises me that pretty much any and all games absolutely poo poo all over Star Citizen and do things without fuss or fanfare that the citizens would be high fiving each other over for months.
I stood on top of a moving tank while tethering helicopters together, that alone would set redit alight for weeks, CI¬G would call it 'Object Interactivity Meshing gently caress Yeah' or some such poo poo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sometimes I ask myself "How do these people not understand how code works and how easy it is to simply modify values in order to have something that works flawlessly in both single-player AND multiplayer" and then I realize I'm staring at a 10-piece chicken mcnugget meal and I forgot the barbecue sauce.

Time_pants posted:

I wanted to say that, even though I wasn't sure about it when I first started following this thread five years ago, I can say now with absolute certainty that we do, in fact, live in hell and God has abandoned us. Star Citizen is the best and worst of all of us. All of my friends think I am mentally ill for following this non-game disaster that a very, very small number of people genuinely care about or believe will ever exist and most people have never heard of. They are right and it has been very fun.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 2, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
:swoon:

You're doing good work.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

As you may or may not have heard: Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishments Mausoleum subforum is being archived sometime soon. The main Star Citizen thread will go into the regular games forum somewhere.

But what about this thread? For better organization and search features I've been wanting to crosspost the thread recap to it's own site, and this move has accelerated that need. You will be able to find that blog at https://pricelesstrainwreck.github.io/ but nothing exists there yet. Hopefully in the next two weeks. (real answer I'll make sure at least one post goes up this week)

A Recap thread in the main sea of Games would probably see a lot more noiseposts, I'll try it out but I don't expect it would work as well as we've done here.

All that being said, August Set 2 is likely the last recap in this particular thread unless it gets transplanted as part of the move.

If you are reading this in 2029 and are totally lost in the wind. Twitter may still exist, check for any pinned tweet or a url listed in the bio of https://twitter.com/VirtualCapt
I will keep it updated with the most accurate place to get recaps.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm still in awe at the "menu" from that dinner. Just the most basic poo poo. The apple tiramisu is the most fancy thing on there. 275 dollars.

Virtual Captain posted:

A Recap thread in the main sea of Games would probably see a lot more noiseposts, I'll try it out but I don't expect it would work as well as we've done here.
Get this thread moved to Games and just keep on trucking, I'd say.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I say merge the threads. That way everyone will be forced to read everything including the recaps. Sounds like something CIG would try to do.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
100 dollars to fuel to a ship? How long does that last you? Does every ship need to be fuelled with MTX bux?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Virtual Captain posted:

As you may or may not have heard: Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishments Mausoleum subforum is being archived sometime soon. The main Star Citizen thread will go into the regular games forum somewhere.

But what about this thread? For better organization and search features I've been wanting to crosspost the thread recap to it's own site, and this move has accelerated that need. You will be able to find that blog at https://pricelesstrainwreck.github.io/ but nothing exists there yet. Hopefully in the next two weeks. (real answer I'll make sure at least one post goes up this week)

All that being said, August Set 2 is likely the last recap in this particular thread unless it gets transplanted as part of the move.

If you are reading this in 2029 and are totally lost in the wind. Twitter may still exist, check for any pinned tweet or a url listed in the bio of https://twitter.com/VirtualCapt
I will keep it updated with the most accurate place to get recaps.

:patriot:

e: That's a really cool mouse-trail-thingy on the site!

lofi fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 1, 2019

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
o7

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I only check this thread to see my posts in yellow. Its not shitposts if it ain't brown.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

A dev I know has said there’s a strong rumour the game is having to be remade in another engine due to the crytek thing. Is there any hint of this being true?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
My uncle who works at Elite said they were going to use that as their big 2.0 reboot, claim they're freed from the shackles of crytek and transferring all their models to the new physics.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thirsty Dog posted:

A dev I know has said there’s a strong rumour the game is having to be remade in another engine due to the crytek thing. Is there any hint of this being true?

Posting from the future-past!

Uncle Agent sez...

TheAgent posted:

hello

• after many, many assurances that the crytek lawsuit would not proceed, chris & co are scrambling (no elaboration)
  • emails, contracts, recorded conversations and biz licences are being sent for review (legal review?)
  • Erin "extremely nervous" about outcome, although showing a "carefree attitude" around the office
  • "I know for a fact he doesn't want another Gizmondo on his hands. Once was enough."
  • aegis backer event: "Our goal was to be totally positive. We nailed it."
  • production on certain parts of the game are stopped completely until legal avenues are resolved
  • mostly that means engine and server improvements
  • this halt is scheduled to begin 9/3, but employees have known about it for some time
  • engine switch most likely in the cards, deep discussions about stadia/UE4 ongoing
  • "Anything made or built with CryEngine would be discarded and re-coded." including animations, models, maps, client and server side code, etc
  • "We'd have to redo a lot of work. It'd be worth it, because it's the only way forward."

Would be interesting to know your mate's source, if they can vaguely disclose :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I don't know him that well, but I'd not be surprised if he was just mining the thread for info.